• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken - Deep Dive: Magic Combat | PS5 Games

Draugoth

Gold Member

With a wide arsenal of powerful magic at her disposal, Frey can take on the countless twisted foes that lurk in the Break. Mastering multiple magic types enables customizable combat options and numerous ways to fight the enemies threatening the realm of Athia. Get a deeper look at some of Frey’s magical combat abilities in this overview of the Magic Combat system in Forspoken. Forspoken arrives January 24, 2023.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Jesus they made the character's arm cuff a character called CUFF? Sweet fuck, this is what creative bankruptcy looks like.

This game looks like a bad MMO asset flip with those big dead environments, and poorly blended enemies.

This is budget AAA, the company saves a ton of money, and passes the savings onto themselves.

G-Bus

Banned
I really want to like this because the magic looks pretty cool. Every thing else looks boring as hell.

Why would they make the environment so...bland. Has that small team indie feel to it. Like all the resources wentto the magic and effects and they didn't have time for anything else.

fart town usa

Gold Member
The game looks fine but I have zero interest in playing it. Maybe I'm completely wrong but the narrative looks like something intended for Zoomers. Nothing wrong with that but it just doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

I feel like it's gonna tank but I don't necessarily want it to, it looks quality to me. Just one of those things, simply not interested.

ProtoByte

The combat looks fun. Traversal fun. Everything else... I just can't put my finger on it, but feels off.
The combat and traversal look flashy and cinematic at certain angles, but any time I've seen it without all the slow mo and trailer edits, they look like a mess.

The combat looks jerky and oddly loose at the same time, with way too much slow-mo when you bring up the magic wheel every 5 seconds to switch and align spells; the traversal barely looks like it breaks down any time Frey is moving up some kind of vertical surface. The layout of the very boring environments don't seem to mesh with the type of parkour she's pulling. Animations look odd kicking off from one surface to another.

Kuranghi

Its like Prototype and/or Infamous + Control with a dash of Just Cause 3/4. I think it looks very nice visually if a bit technologically dated. I really loved all of those games but the narrative, characters and the rote...ness (can't be bothered to look up a synonym) of the gameplay means I won't play it until its 20 quid or less.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Man the combat in this game looks fantastic.

Visuals look dated as fuck. I wish they had stuck with the fantasy almost cartoony artstyle of FF15. The somewhat realistic setting doesnt really look good.

drotahorror

Spell effects still looking cool.

Pretty edgy to have a Mature Rated game only for cursing. We've heard the dialogue already, it's cringe af.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Its the FFXV style environments and jank that feel off. And I don't really like Isekai themes, though Stranger of Paradise was kind of fun. Combat does look good.

benzy

H3nhmFR.gif

Jic1czc.gif

Was wishing for more new spells to be shown but im not too bothered.

Either day I cannot wait for the 24th of Jan. Day 1 for me.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
They are pushing the game quite heavily at the moment.
Looks good, let’s just hope we shit up the main character somehow. Do we know if there will be JP voiceover?

There is going to be an exploration deep dive on the 10th apparantly. People say the world looks barren and unengaging but we should see a more in depth look of the open world features on that day.

Top Bottom