• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

Really sounds like a lot of hype for this game. Is it really going to be a big competitor?

And Im so confused. Its out now on PS4? Thought it was coming tomorrow

Edit: Founders pack, nvm

Ploid 3.0

Do PC players play cross platform with PS4? Or Xbone with PC?

There is a way for PS4 and PC players to play together, and it was also cross buy because it's free to download on PS4 and you just need your epic account to get access to the games.

It's not that they don't want our money, it's that they are barely big enough to handle the development of two platforms at one time let alone three.

They just have the most successful game EVER on steam and probably make a million per day. How can we expect for them to hire some more people for a simple PS4 port. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ploid 3.0

Don't think so? I haven't spent any money on it.

I've been a Paragon player since that was in early access though. Maybe that's why?

Yeah I got access to this mode a week early because of Paragon too. The only Pack I had for Paragon was an Nvidia promotion pack.

BizzyBum

Was watching a stream and I'm not sure I like the building mechanic. Seems like it would be too easy to build simple walls and small forts and then use the third person camera to hide and just peek over the walls and wait for people.

Was watching a stream and I'm not sure I like the building mechanic. Seems like it would be too easy to build simple walls and small forts and then use the third person camera to hide and just peek over the walls and wait for people.

that's why rockect launchers exist.

GHG

It's not.

That would only be a problem if everything weren't destructible.

Just shoot 3-5 times on a wall and it's down.

You have to gather resources to do anything complex and the walls themselves are really easy to destroy. Metal being the most durable still is blown up by a single explosive. They have or are going to (not sure which atm) add more grenades to give more opportunities to have hard counters to structures.

The other thing is you must always expose yourself at least to take a shot. Snipers are really strong against peeking. And there is always the storm that could force you to relocate.

molnizzle

The ๖ۜBronx;249990219 said:
It's free to download but when I launch it it asks me to redeem a code or purchase the founders pack. What did you do differently? Teach me your ways.

Apparently it's because I was a Paragon founder back in the day.

Ploid 3.0

So if I download fortnite now I will be ready for tomorrow when it becomes free to play?

There should be a new patch tomorrow so not totally ready. If they release a new client for the f2p tomorrow everyone will have to redownload and I doubt they would do that.

Ploid 3.0

I wish the « ete of the storm » wasn't just a blue electric wall. :(

That could change in the future. Last week Paragon was a shell nice looking. Today Paragon is so so sooo pretty, it's actually distracting how pretty it is to me. Everything redone, a graphical update, and they are still planning to upgrade stuff.

It seems like Epic constantly feel the need to flex it's engine's muscles in Paragon, and it's other projects. I don't doubt Fortnite get it's share of experiments too. Paragon characters get capes just to show off it's cloth tech advancements. Then a character gets cool hair to show that off. The skin system of content is perfect for that type of thing.

molnizzle

The ๖ۜBronx;249991008 said:
Nice one, first impressions of F:BR?

Kinda dig it, UI is a bit of a mess though. Controls are weird too, the base building stuff feels really weird but I guess it's leftover from the other mode which I can't play. Very fun overall though. I think it'll be a big hit on consoles.

Seeing the above clips...

This looks very fun. Liking the vibrancy. Reminds me of...Warhawk. But I think Id prefer first person mode mostly.

But the thing is, while I like what I see, Im not a fan of cartoony graphics because it seems to not have as good combat.

Like, Overwatch is very fun, but I much prefer something realistic like SOCOM, Last of Us, or Rainbow 6 because firing those kinds of guns feels more enjoyable.

What's Fortnite like in that sense? I get it's arcadey, but how arcadey is the gunplay?

NeoRaider

This is still not available to download on PC right? I tried earlier today but there is only BUY option for the full game. (4 versions, one of them being almost 200$)

The game was good to me tonight, i won two matches.
I think my basic strategy is good but i need to improve my building skill.
Amazing experience overall, well done Epic!

You can shoot walls to break them. Or just throw a grenade at their forts.

Watching this on Twitch and the stuff people are doing now with bases looks really fun. I know PUBG has a huge lead, but really think that added layer of strategy from base building could help this one break out.

This is so much fun. As someone that plays PUBG regularly, this kills the appeal of that game for me. I'm much more interested in the building and exploring side of things here. I'll be on PUBG from time to time, but in general I found it a little bit more frustrating. Here, encounters are a little bit more explicit, people build, which gives you an informed cue as to where they are, and they're also considerably more visible, with prominent outlines that contrast the background incredibly well. Getting shot from a window 100 meters away hasn't been a thing for me so far, and I've appreciated that. It's good to have more honest, head to head gunfights.

Hope they can channel some of this into the main game, because the build/defend modes in Fortnite are a nightmare of usability issues. The stripped down nature of Battle Royale reveals that Fortnite has something really fun at its core, but it's going to take a lot of work to restructure the campaign to allow players to appreciate that.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
They just have the most successful game EVER on steam and probably make a million per day. How can we expect for them to hire some more people for a simple PS4 port. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The problem is that you assume porting a game like this is "simple." Remember that Fortnite doesn't even have things like vehicles or a proper first person mode yet, or hell even something as "simple" as character customization and the developer of the engine PUBG is working with behind it which is how they got something out like this so fast. Context matters in a situation like this, and I don't know how many times it has to be stated that just throwing money at a situation in game development is a magical fix everything button.

Varg

Banned
Anyone know if this will be available free to play at midnight ? Also should I download the game now in preparation or will the free to play version be a separate downlod not yet available ?

derFeef

I am bad at every battle royal game, haha.
At least this has a charming style and the building stuff adds some fun to it.

Anyone know if this will be available free to play at midnight ? Also should I download the game now in preparation or will the free to play version be a separate downlod not yet available ?

Yes download it now.

I hope that we can download it midnight but I don't think so cause the Xbox live website, I know maybe it's different on PSN, showed that it will unlock in 19 hours and 11 minutes from now. :/

Phaenos

As a PUBG player, this looks like a ton of fun to me and I'll definitely be trying it. I play PUBG with GAFers all the time, but most of my real-life friends are PS4 owners and don't have a PC. The idea of jumping into this with them is super appealing.

That said, from the videos I've been watching, The general gunplay seems pretty shitty to me. Is this just a bad player factor? or is it really a lot of imprecise spray 'n pray?

arimanius

As a PUBG player, this looks like a ton of fun to me and I'll definitely be trying it. I play PUBG with GAFers all the time, but most of my real-life friends are PS4 owners and don't have a PC. The idea of jumping into this with them is super appealing.

That said, from the videos I've been watching, The general gunplay seems pretty shitty to me. Is this just a bad player factor? or is it really a lot of imprecise spray 'n pray?

I don't find the firing that bad if you do burst firing. Also remember there's different levels of weapons so a common rifle(white) will be less accurate and less powerful than an epic (yellow) one. (I believe that's the case lol)

N30RYU

If bluehole had shut their bad PR mouth I think this mode would have released unnoticed.

Instead they put it in the spotlight and a lot of more ppl are aware of it and will try it. me included

JJShadow

Really looking forward to trying this tomorrow. Just out of curiosity, is there any kind of progression system attached to the BR mode, or is it only for the PvE part?

N30RYU

Really looking forward to trying this tomorrow. Just out of curiosity, is there any kind of progression system attached to the BR mode, or is it only for the PvE part?

In the BR mode you don't even get to choose who you play as... so zero progression in that mode.

RS4-

Hmm, didn't realize that I've got access too. I definitely didn't buy into Paragon, just had access to the beta at the time.

Top Bottom