• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

sn00zer

Dude this game makes camping an art form. Being forced to continually move negates pretty much any negative camping issue.

Maximus P

Dude this game makes camping an art form. Being forced to continually move negates pretty much any negative camping issue.

I know right?

My tactic for success is to stay well covered then ride the storm into the safe circle when there's little time left. It's literally impossible to camp unless you've got very lucky with the circle location, and even then why would you move out?

And traps piss people off, but I probably pick up 50% of my kills with them. Even the ones that make a distinctive sound when near them get kills. People just run into houses without thinking.

This isnt tdm or about K/d ratio. The name of the game is to survive longer than the other 99 players.

I saw two more aimbotters today. I really like the game but I'm out.

It means that it will hopefully de-incentivize people to casually cheat as bans for cheating are account based and perma, so they'll lose anything they've earned when they catch that ban.

IIRC Epic also bans across all their games as well so a Fortnite cheater would lose access to Epic's entire catalogue.

There's not much on the Epic launcher that people will have paid money for, and anyone intending to cheat can create an alt for free first. I don't see that cosmetic loot will do much either.
Not sure how they can fix it, by going for popularity at launch they've painted themselves into a corner with the business model. Maybe monetise by offering "premium" server access for a small fee, premium servers not allowing free players (or not until they've played a lot of games without getting reported) and having active admins.

selo

I actually won a game yesterday, with 0 kills. I just hung back, all the other players killed themselves and the final guy died on the storm haha.

I saw two more aimbotters today. I really like the game but I'm out.

There's not much on the Epic launcher that people will have paid money for, and anyone intending to cheat can create an alt for free first. I don't see that cosmetic loot will do much either.
Not sure how they can fix it, by going for popularity at launch they've painted themselves into a corner with the business model. Maybe monetise by offering "premium" server access for a small fee, premium servers not allowing free players (or not until they've played a lot of games without getting reported) and having active admins.

It really depends on how they detect and institute the ban I'd think.

Karppuuna

This is 30fps? It feels like 60fps, are we talking about game-changing technology here?

"While working on Battle Royale we identified some issues with input latency in the engine that particularly affected 30Hz games. We were able to make improvements to thread synchronization, reducing latency by around 66ms (the reduction will be around half that in a 60Hz title) to address this problem. These changes make a noticeable improvement to the feel of the game, making it more responsive and easier to aim"

This is 30fps? It feels like 60fps, are we talking about game-changing technology here?

"While working on Battle Royale we identified some issues with input latency in the engine that particularly affected 30Hz games. We were able to make improvements to thread synchronization, reducing latency by around 66ms (the reduction will be around half that in a 60Hz title) to address this problem. These changes make a noticeable improvement to the feel of the game, making it more responsive and easier to aim"

Source?

MUnited83

For you.

30hz servers, which means the servers only update positions 30 times per second. The game on the consumer end runs at 60

Tawpgun

It's the worst when you come across someone with a metal fort and they get lucky with circle placement.

I actually won a game yesterday, with 0 kills. I just hung back, all the other players killed themselves and the final guy died on the storm haha.

I learned the hard way the storm REALLY increases in strength as the game goes.

"Hey neat a purple SCAR just outside the storm wall"

**ZAPP**

sn00zer

Hehehe I have a weird hatred of crows nest structures, but I love that people have no idea what to do when they are in them as I just start pumping bullets into walls. WHERE CAN YOU HIDE NOW IN YOUR GAME BREAKING STRUCTURE?! NOWHERE!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAH

PS4 don't have those issues right? Unless I'm wrong on that matters.

No of course not, consoles are hacker free. That's why I would never ever prefer a PC over a console for multiplayer games. That's hacker paradise over there, in every multiplayer game.

Still hope they will do something, they had such a good start, hope it won't ruin the momentum.

On the other hand.... Everyone still plays PUBG and you've almost gets 50 bots every round, doesn't hurt that game it seems.

It really depends on how they detect and institute the ban I'd think.

They could do a lot better with detection, sure. Even the best anti-cheat software won't be perfect though, and with the way a single cheater can dominate a 100-player round you'd need a really good detection rate to shield the playerbase.
With bans they are stuck though: accounts are free, IP can be changed on most connections by turning the router off for a little while, and the client could be reinstalled or otherwise hacked.

kendrid

Banned
I came here to post about cheating and I see many others are seeing it. Our group made it to the last 15 and we were all killed in the span of one second. The kill log was all the same guy over and over.

I report him but even if they ban, he will just make another account.

Naar

I just got the game and confused on what you are supposed to build? I made a ramp to go up to a building and are you supposed to make your own fortress or something? You cant build weapons right?

kendrid

Banned
I just got the game and confused on what you are supposed to build? I made a ramp to go up to a building and are you supposed to make your own fortress or something? You cant build weapons right?

Typically building is done to throw a quick wall up when being shot at, gain access to chests in attics, or build a mini-fort for protection.

Chiramii

I think I'm done with this game, which is a fucking shame because it is so much fun. Me and a friend died to 3 different hackers, 3 games in a row, blasting people from across the map with pistols. This is the problem with the game being f2p imo.

Gator86

Is there not shoulder swapping? Got stuck in a shootout inside a building and realized I couldn't shoulder swap. How do you make a shooter in 2017 without shoulder swapping?

They should probably just remove SMGs. They're terrible. Also, it would be great if there was some indicator as to when people are shielded or have extra health. You could be a lot more tactical if you didn't randomly run into people with double health out of nowhere.

sKiTz

Absolutely loving this on the Xbox, it’s a bit jank but I’m sure it will improve and can’t complain since it’s free but man we had an epic game last night, final circle, 3 of my squad mates left and we had people coming in from every direction....unfortunely we came 2nd but fuck it was legit intense.

Is there not shoulder swapping? Got stuck in a shootout inside a building and realized I couldn't shoulder swap. How do you make a shooter in 2017 without shoulder swapping?

They should probably just remove SMGs. They're terrible. Also, it would be great if there was some indicator as to when people are shielded or have extra health. You could be a lot more tactical if you didn't randomly run into people with double health out of nowhere.

To each their own because i love SMGs. I tend to engage in the sweet range where you "might" want to switch to shotgun, but not quite. In those zones, SMG rains supreme. The purple one just shreds down enemies.

I just got my tenth win. So now I have 10...10 wins!

2hb9R_.gif

#Bushwookie4lyfe

Demoskinos

To each their own because i love SMGs. I tend to engage in the sweet range where you "might" want to switch to shotgun, but not quite. In those zones, SMG rains supreme. The purple one just shreds down enemies.

Great ambush weapons at close range. They'll be dead before they know what happened.

My fucking luck in this game is just terrible lately. Wait until the end of the bus ride, jump out and land near a single fucking house with a shack next to it.... with 4 other people. I kill 3 but the 4th gets me because I ran out of SMG ammo and we had a pickaxe battle.

methane47

Question.. when you select solo.. does that mean everyone in that game is also solo? Or does it mix squads with solos and duos?

StillEdge

Got my solo win with 9 kills. Feels great. I was always afraid my first win was going to be low on kills and I was going to look like a chump. I always call out my friends when they post their chicken dinners and they only get 3 kills max.

sn00zer

Got my solo win with 9 kills. Feels great. I was always afraid my first win was going to be low on kills and I was going to look like a chump. I always call out my friends when they post their chicken dinners and they only get 3 kills max.
So you called out people on their wins when you yourself did not have a win?

Since I can't run PUBG on my cheapo laptop, I'll be trying this out instead! Should be an okay approximation of the feeling people get from playing Battlegrounds.

Let me know how it runs! My friend wants PUBG but we both know it won't run well on his laptop. It has an i5 and GTX 960M just in case that's what you happen to have. Since it's by Epic, who made UE4, it should be pretty damn well optimized. Plus Battle Royale is free. The price was the biggest barrier.

alexbull_uk

Had my first win earlier, playing duos.

Feels incredibly satisfying, but to be fair we had a great setup from pretty early on and just dominated everyone that crossed us.

Magilla

Banned
I'm really liking the feel of this. A good compliment to the "other" battle royale game. I still need to get in the right mindset for it though.

Mikey Jr.

SMG legit sucks.

I will literally take any other gun over it. I had a purple SMG. I dropped that shit for a green pistol. Not even joking.

The most worthless gun in the entire game.

3 round burst though has saved my ass more than once.

Top Bottom