• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

Its for people with no skill to reach the end game.

Someone a few pages pack posted a victory screen with 1 kill! Lol.

Also hiding behind trees and anything else is different because you are not clipping into it, that's my issue... You can't walk into the tree trunk and have a 360 degree view of your surroundings. That's what bush wookies do, takes to skill at all

It happens in PUBG also, quite frequently... So are you basically saying all Battle Royal style titles require no skill?

Ramirez

Also hiding behind trees and anything else is different because you are not clipping into it, that's my issue... You can't walk into the tree trunk and have a 360 degree view of your surroundings. That's what bush wookies do, takes to skill at all

I mean...be more aware of the situation. Utilizing the game’s mechanics don’t make you a pussy or bad at the game, lol.

The goal of the game is to be the last one standing, by any means you see fit.

It happens in PUBG also, quite frequently... So are you basically saying all Battle Royal style titles require no skill?

Not sure how you came to that from what I said.
You know when you say something, and someone plucks little bits out, discarding the rest to totally twist what was said in the first place?
I think that just happened.

I mean...be more aware of the situation. Utilizing the game’s mechanics don’t make you a pussy or bad at the game, lol.

The goal of the game is to be the last one standing, by any means you see fit.

Yeah it's a great strat if you don't hate yourself for doing it (I did).
And it's a better strat if you suck :)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I can't believe ppl are still getting killed by people hiding in bushes. I mean, come on o_O

Can anyone recommend a quick and painless method for converting videos to GIFs?

This is only true if you happen to land right in the center of the circle, find a bush, and just hope the circle stays on you all game long.

Ew, please don't let this game be ruined by people saying things like "people who play/win X way are cheap losers with no skill."

Yuck.

PepperedHam

Ew, please don't let this game be ruined by people saying things like "people who play/win X way are cheap losers with no skill."

Yuck.
My thoughts exactly. Just drips with salt instead of it being an actual concern for these players with "no skill".

Using bushes or winning with just one kill is all part of the game and it's the beauty of the Battle Royale mode that makes that possible. It's really fun to try and maneuver about without having to get your hands dirty until the very end. Someone's win with 9 kills is no different on that end screen than somebody who used stealth to make it through each circle.

I just don’t understand teamkillers and why TK is allowed. Nothing has ruined the fun more than the random TKs.

Edit: And the next match was a victory to erase the pain!

We'll its good to see the bush wookie union is united! :)

I will stop crying now, getting things a bit off track.
Let's complain about hackers!

I can't believe ppl are still getting killed by people hiding in bushes. I mean, come on o_O

If you're in the final five and the circle is really small, yes, you should know better, but up to it, it happens, you can't shoot on every bush you run by just to test if there is someone. But like I said before, I love that this is possible, at least one little possibility to hide from others and stealth kill someone.

methane47

I was nearing the end of the game... Rocket launcher to one snipers head.... dodge someone's floor trap and shot gun to the face.... 2hp left.. heal heal heal pop out ... AR rifle around the tree at a guy that thought he was flanking me... 5 ppl left, Rocket launcher to the face... 4hp left.. HEAL HEAL HEAL... ok 4 ppl left...

circle getting TINY.... let me crawl into this bush over here while i regroup cuz its TENSE
hey why can't i walk into this bush... whats blocking me? oh damn....

Bush is OP.
Feels bad man

RaginRoss

Tried this out yesterday on Xbox - really good fun on Duos. Got our first win after about 5 or so games.

One quick question - there's normally 3 of us. Will Squad deal with that by matching with other squads of 3, leave us a man down, or match in a random?

Tried this out yesterday on Xbox - really good fun on Duos. Got our first win after about 5 or so games.

One quick question - there's normally 3 of us. Will Squad deal with that by matching with other squads of 3, leave us a man down, or match in a random?

Match with a random.

Happened to me on my 3rd game, now I will retire undefeated to preserve my legacy.

50hDV0N.jpg

Man, playing with my friend in duo is fucking awesome.
Already won a few rounds with him and even if we die early in the match we always have a lot of fun.
Btw. grenades are awesome!

This comes across as though you're equating skill to the number of kills you get before a win, which seems stupid in a game like FNBR so I'm sure I must be missing something. I can get not liking 'cheap tactics' but if you're still getting killed by people with shotguns behind doors, at least in the mid-late game, then I'm not sure it's other people's skill you need to evaluate.

sn00zer

Bushes work... But I say you are a pussy if you use them.
Sorry, but bushes are OP. Cheap as fuck to sit in a bush to scab cheap undeserved kills.

I'm all for camping in this game but I refuse to sit in bushes, did it a couple of times at first and felt like a bitch.

/raises flame shield :)

Bushes are only OP because youre not checking them. Its really not that hard to spot people in them if you are looking. Maybe pay more attention and they wont be so OP to you.

It's funny how you criticise someone for twisting your words, but ignore the logic behind hiding in a bush. You don't have 360 degrees of view. The only way to see behind you is to move slowly or give away your position. And a lot of the time turning around means your head is showing. It is objectively more dangerous than building a fort. You are either seen and dead or not seen, in which case it doesn't matter. Trees do give you a better and faster viewing angle with a great deal of cover, and you can stay on the move. Also, some trees cover the whole player.

Getting one kill doesn't automatically mean, "Someone was hiding in a bush the whole time". I've had games where I've worked my ass off fighting against the storm and used the relief of the terrain as cover and picked off the last player. And I bet you one was hiding in a bush and got 10 kills. They died using a bush. Some win using a bush. So the idea that no skill is involved is false.

You send out confusing messages. You're a pussy for using bushes, which implies we should be building forts and standing around I the open, attacking at first sight. But you won't shoot a bush because it gives away your position? Your whole play style gives away your position. If you're standing behind a tree, you're giving your position away to anyone behind you. If you build a fort everyone knows where you are and you're safe from every angle. Even running around in the open is safer than just sitting in a bush. Case in point, I was down to the last 3 and was hiding behind a tree on the very edge of the circle. I built a fort and watched one of the other two jump out of a bush only to be killed by the other. It wasn't hiding in the bush that got him killed, but his lack of skill. Hiding in a bush doesn't mean easy kills and it doesn't necessarily mean you have no skill. Someone with skill would have stayed in the bush and let me deal with the other guy. But he did the stupid thing and engaged a target coming towards him. In that situation, who took the easy way out? Who was the pussy? Yeah, that's right...it was me, watching from my metal fort in safety, picking off the last damaged player, who bravely ran around in the middle of the open. It's not brave, it's idiotic and shows no skill. Expect to get killed doing that. Expect to get killed by a sniper, who can see you sitting in that bush.

Yeah, it doesn't happen very often to me. People got wise to it within days. Not to mention that a lot of them don't cover the head.

The ๖ۜBronx;251433029 said:
Anyone else find PUBG so boring to watch relative to Fortnite. Speaking strictly of spectating and watching streams.

For some reason I don't find Fortnite all that interesting to watch. It lacks the high skill ceiling of PUBG, and I only really watched PUBG streamed so I could learn some things and get better at the game.

As much as I love playing Fortnite, it doesn't get my heart pounding quite like PUBG does. But I'm playing Fortnite a lot more right now because I like how it mixes things up.

Kei-

You can set it to fill or not fill the fourth spot. Completely up to you.

The ๖ۜBronx;251433029 said:
Anyone else find PUBG so boring to watch relative to Fortnite. Speaking strictly of spectating and watching streams.

Fortnite is definitely much more fun to watch than PUBG. Action can get really tense at points in Battlegrounds, but generally there are long lulls when nothing is really happening.

Fortnite tends to be more action packed overall, and the action itself is wackier and more fun. People tend to be more willing to push into fortified positions, get in CQB range, etc.

Redshirt

Banned
I think pubg is a better watch. The drama is what makes watching BR entertaining for me, and Fortnite doesn't really deliver that in the same way.

PUBG is definitely more fun to watch. I'm not a fan of the balance of spacing, loot, and match speed in Fortnite. The downtime and navigating open space in PUBG is the best part which is completely gone in Fortnite.

The building really seals it for me though. I much prefer the pure gunfights of PUBG and using the environment chosen by the random circle. Having the endgame take place in forts every time is just lame.

Mixed responses on which people prefer watching out of PUBG and FNBR which only, to me, highlights the differences there are between the two. I might be skewed in my initial thoughts as well as I've watched hours of PUBG and only started watching Fortnite so could be recency bias at play.

I just wish I could play PUBG. It seems obvious people can enjoy both for different reasons, and it would be cool to play the advantages people highlight in PUBG.

I mean we could argue all day about which one is more interesting to watch but....

Having the endgame take place in forts every time is just lame.

That's what I love the most about Fortnite's end-game. Nothing is worse than realizing the final circles in PUBG are going to be an open field with no cover.... so people just go prone in the grass.

The fort dynamic makes every game interesting. I had a game where the last circle was on the top of a cliff, so you had 4 people building their own staircases to the top just to survive. That was fucking great.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The building really seals it for me though. I much prefer the pure gunfights of PUBG and using the environment chosen by the random circle. Having the endgame take place in forts every time is just lame.

This is where I'm at with it now. I just don't enjoy the endgame.

I mean we could argue all day about which one is more interesting to watch but....
Not sure where that came from when my last post was concluding that it seems obvious that people like both games for different reasons, and there are positives and negatives to watching (and playing) both. It was interesting to see why people preferred to watch the other.

Pasting current viewer counts on Twitch and acting like that ends the discussion is a bizarre reaction to that.

GodofWine

That's what I love the most about Fortnite's end-game. Nothing is worse than realizing the final circles in PUBG are going to be an open field with no cover.... so people just go prone in the grass.

The fort dynamic makes every game interesting. I had a game where the last circle was on the top of a cliff, so you had 4 people building their own staircases to the top just to survive. That was fucking great.

That difference is driven by a few big streamers. I dunno if its the game or the streamer pulling the views. But PUBG has those streamers so i guess its their advantage regardless of how you look at it.

The ๖ۜBronx;251439521 said:
Pasting current viewer counts on Twitch and acting like that ends the discussion is a bizarre reaction to that.

It was not a response to you. I was just curious as to how they compared so I looked up the numbers.

That difference is driven by a few big streamers. I dunno if its the game or the streamer pulling the views. But PUBG has those streamers so i guess its their advantage regardless of how you look at it.

The big streamers that I watched (Shroud, Doc, Grimmz, Ninja) also tried Fortnite but most of them didn't stick with it. And I assumed it was because they lost a lot of viewers due to Fortnite just not being as interesting to watch. Either that or their audience just only wants to watch PUBG and went somewhere else.

There's also the leaderboard aspect to think about. Maybe people are less included to stop playing PUBG because they like tracking their stats. Should be interesting to see what happens when Fortnite adds those features.

sKiTz

The lag issue has been pretty bad for us tonight, we are in Australia though, would be nice to see a ping counter of some sort.

Floody

It's incredibly enjoyable watching others duke it out, only to be finished off by top tier bush hiding players.

Even better if you can jump from bush to bush and get to their base and wait for them to return.

The ๖ۜBronx;251444846 said:
Latest numbers from the Fortnite team:

I can't tell if these numbers are good for a new free game. But given that I never have trouble matchmaking with 100 players, I'm certainly not complaining.

Gator86

Does anyone else get frustrated by the input lag or am I just imagining it? I'll have to hit square like 5 times before the gun appears in my inventory. I mash L1 and just stay crouched. It's infuriating.

HiiiLife

I wouldn’t say they lack skill, but it’s such a boring way to play. I’ve fell victim to it before and honestly blasting people out of bushes and trees is the greatest feeling this game has to offer, more than actually winning a match.

Kei-

It was not a response to you. I was just curious as to how they compared so I looked up the numbers.

The big streamers that I watched (Shroud, Doc, Grimmz, Ninja) also tried Fortnite but most of them didn't stick with it. And I assumed it was because they lost a lot of viewers due to Fortnite just not being as interesting to watch. Either that or their audience just only wants to watch PUBG and went somewhere else.

There's also the leaderboard aspect to think about. Maybe people are less included to stop playing PUBG because they like tracking their stats. Should be interesting to see what happens when Fortnite adds those features.

Doc is the only that hasn't been on Fortinite consistently, the others you mentioned have kept playing it. Ninja and Lupo especially love it, Shroud and Grimmz still play it consistently.

tkscz

Played for the first time last night, made it to #18. Almost made it further but I feel for the fake sniper trick. Someone built stairs up a hill and I thought I was going to be sneaky and get behind them. The person who built said stairs was behind a bush at the bottom of the stairs and shot me in the back.

Those player base numbers are great. This means Epic would dedicate even more resources to the game. Anxious to see how the game will grow from here.

Hoodbury

Being a "Bush Wookie" or not for me depends on where the circle is and what weapons I have. If I'm already in the center of the circle when it starts I have a hard time moving around because I feel people could be coming from me at all angles so I tend to sit steady a bit more, especially if I do have a good weapon loadout.

My preferred location when the circle starts is just outside it so I can keep on the outskirts of it and only have to move in a bit each time. If I'm way outside the circle then the game is just a constant sprint to get to the circle each time.

But ya, if you're already well inside the circle when it forms, why would you go running around inside it risking getting sniped by someone up top a hill or engaged from multiple angles from people running into the circle. Find a building to fortify or simply find a bush for awhile and let others kill each other.

Top Bottom