• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

At this stage I think this game needs a massive weapon rebalancing.

Majority of the weapons do way too much damage, which in turn makes Medkits and Armor Potions worth way too much for how rare they are.

Tawpgun

I'd rather people hide behind bushes than build forts and get lucky circles. Nothing worse than someone having a fort in an open field and you have no explosives.

Majority of the weapons do way too much damage, which in turn makes Medkits and Armor Potions worth way too much for how rare they are.

medkits are not that rare especially if you can survive the first culling.
however amor potions get used up if they are found and become really rare. Combine with not knowing someone has amor until you hit them it becomes a huge advantage to be full on blue.

medkits are not that rare especially if you can survive the first culling.
however amor potions get used up if they are found and become really rare. Combine with not knowing someone has amor until you hit them it becomes a huge advantage to be full on blue.

They are still too rare for how much a massive disadvantage you're at for being at 75 health.

In my opinion, these are the changes they should make.

Lower weapon damage across the board by 25-30% depending on weapon.
Cut the headshot damage multiplier in half.
Reduce the appearance rate of shotguns.
Remove the scoped assault rifle from the game.
Remove armor potions from the game.

Those changes and some significant upgrades to the servers would go a long way toward bettering the experience in my opinion.

Of course those will never happen because it changes too much but this game desperately needs weaker weapons right now.

I'd rather people hide behind bushes than build forts and get lucky circles. Nothing worse than someone having a fort in an open field and you have no explosives.

You've been outplayed if you come up against someone in a good fort imo, yes there is an element of luck with the circles but you can usually wait it out until they have to move.
But yeah, it's frustrating... But I don't feel cheated

When you see a fort like that, you build your own fort and either snipe them or just start picking theirs apart with rifles. You don't need explosives.

The game is called FORTnite. IF you're not prepared to build, then you're playing the wrong game.

All 3 of my wins last night came from a "fort" of some description. And I always had to move from one to the next due to the circle.

When you see a fort like that, you build your own fort and either snipe them or just start picking theirs apart with rifles. You don't need explosives.
That or break sight with them, stealth up to them and then just build over the top to shoot in. Aggression pays off in spades with people in forts because they don't expect to be invaded.

They are still too rare for how much a massive disadvantage you're at for being at 75 health.

Those changes and some significant upgrades to the servers would go a long way toward bettering the experience in my opinion.

Of course those will never happen because it changes too much but this game desperately needs weaker weapons right now.

I'd hate to play that version of the game honestly.

I agree there is some health buff tweaking that needs to happen but weapon damage is completely fine IMHO. Hell, if anything i think there are certain weapons that need to do MORE damage.

I'd hate to play that version of the game honestly.
I agree there is some health buff tweaking that needs to happen but weapon damage is completely fine IMHO. Hell, if anything i think there are certain weapons that need to do MORE damage.
This. I don't see any issue with weapon damage and I don't think healing items are particularly rare either.
Judging by the stick up your ass I'm surprised that you haven't been hiding in bushes yourself.
Satisfying kill though.

The ๖ۜBronx;251554577 said:
This. I don't see any issue with weapon damage and I don't think healing items are particularly rare either.

I seem to always get bandages... but i never find med kits. Just luck of the draw. That said i think they should remain rare(ish). I do think there needs to be a sorta stim-drink type of health buff. Something in addition to bandages and med kits. Would love to see other types of cool buffs but that will likely never happen.

Overall i take this game as much more casual and wacky PUBG. I dont get all sweaty like i do in PUBG and i end up having a much better time. The loot, the building/destruction etc. its all just super fun. I think they're on to something here.

Gator86

Armor potions are trash. Just remove them from the game. At least add some indicator so you can tell who is running around with double health before attacking.

I don't think weapons do too much damage for the most part. They feel like they're in a good place, otherwise every fight would turn into a slog.

I have to admit, I don't like building in Fortnite. It's one reason I'm using this game as a placeholder for PUBG.

Armor potions are trash. Just remove them from the game. At least add some indicator so you can tell who is running around with double health before attacking.

I don't think weapons do too much damage for the most part. They feel like they're in a good place, otherwise every fight would turn into a slog.

I have to admit, I don't like building in Fortnite. It's one reason I'm using this game as a placeholder for PUBG.

How are armor potions different from armor in PUBG? You know someone has a shield when you start shooting... but i think id prefer if it was real, visible armor like PUBG. Helmets and vests that were easily identifiable.

Nialrot

I really wish bandages healed to 100%. Just seems pointless to stay at 75 health when a single headshot without shields downs you.

The ๖ۜBronx;251551367 said:
That or break sight with them, stealth up to them and then just build over the top to shoot in. Aggression pays off in spades with people in forts because they don't expect to be invaded.

Just don't be like this guy.

I always expect it. So be stealthier than that :p

Don't be like this guy either.

If he wasn't standing still all exposed like that, I would have just destroyed 1 plank in his single stair ramp to bring down the whole fort. It's always better to build a multiple wall tower that takes longer to destroy. And if you're going to build stairs up to a fort like that, never use wood.

It's something that's just sorta developed in these BR games unfortunately. I get it... but i dont like it.

It's fine in PUBG because you have boosters to easily get back up to 100%. But Fortnite copied the bandage mechanic without the boosters. Medkits being the only way back to 100% seems like an oversight.

GodofWine

I really wish bandages healed to 100%. Just seems pointless to stay at 75 health when a single headshot without shields downs you.

I agree, I don't understand this now "standard" BR thing. At least in Pubg painkillers or energy drinks are there for the remaining 25%.

FNBR doesn't need to remove armor potions, it needs to add more, but in various strengths, by color like everything else :

White - 10%
Green - 20%
Blue - 30%
Purple - 40%
Orange - 50%

Gator86

How are armor potions different from armor in PUBG? You know someone has a shield when you start shooting... but i think id prefer if it was real, visible armor like PUBG. Helmets and vests that were easily identifiable.

I'm not a huge PUBG person or anything so I'm not saying their solution is better. I'd just be happy with a visual indicator. It really limits thoughtful decision making in the game to have no clue if a person has double health or not. My problem is really you can't tell until you start shooting which is a bad mechanic.

Got my first two Victory Royales last night playing in a three man squad on PS4. The first win was a bit anticlimactic with an awkward showdown at the prison as the circle closed in but the second one was awesome...

We ended up in the fields next to Moisty Mire building forts and hurling explosives around as the circle closed in. I had grabbed a yellow/orange sniper off a loot drop which helped me keep one squad busy reviving eachother as I downed them through the windows so my remaining teammate could whittle away at the other squad.

This game is so damn satisfying when things roll your way.

I agree, I don't understand this now "standard" BR thing. At least in Pubg painkillers or energy drinks are there for the remaining 25%.

FNBR doesn't need to remove armor potions, it needs to add more, but in various strengths, by color like everything else :

White - 10%
Green - 20%
Blue - 30%
Purple - 40%
Orange - 50%

Agreed. Id totally be down with the multi shield set-up if we dont get boosters.

I'm not a huge PUBG person or anything so I'm not saying their solution is better. I'd just be happy with a visual indicator. It really limits thoughtful decision making in the game to have no clue if a person has double health or not. My problem is really you can't tell until you start shooting which is a bad mechanic.

Oh i'm totally with ya. Id much prefer they to have armor pieces instead of shields so there is visual indication. They could do the Islands of Nyne method where if you pick up a shield you glow making you easier to see with the buff. Risk/reward. You want more health you stand out more.

Tawpgun

I'd also like an indicator when someone has a shield. Sucks when you have a clear shot on someone and then you hit a blue number. Gave away your position too. It's a risk/reward thing but it feels too random to me.

As for the fort comment, I don't think they should go away. Im saying that bushes are just as viable and annoying as someone who got to be lucky enough for the circles to go on their fort. At least bush people are more exposed. If I come across a fort in a field I gotta look for some bushes. Shooting at them is dumb if it's brick or metal. You'd waste all your bullets and give away position. Not to mention they can build faster than you can destroy.

I feel too trapped in forts anyway. I much prefer using natural cover, or just building a wall for cover or traversal. Me and my friends have never built a fort in the end game.

There are a lot of differences.

PUBG
- Armor reduces damage from bullets but also applies some of that damage to the armor itself.
- After a gunfight, you can be near-death, heal to full with meds and still have armor. As such armor can survive multiple fights and be useful for an entire game.
- Tiers of armor reduce damage by increasing amounts.
- Armor is clearly visible on an enemy. You always know if you're shooting at a level 1/2/3 helmet and vest.
- You can not carry extra armor and helmets.
- Does not take up inventory space.

Fortnite
- Shields absorb damage 100% until sheilds are gone.
- There's no reduced damage.
- You can not tell if someone has a shield or not.
- Due to the importance of shields, it's always good to have spare potions which take up inventory slots.

A sword or some other 1 - 2 hit kill melee weapon would be cool.

Bigger map would be great, 50% or so. Also instead of multiple maps going forward, I think it might be cool to randomise elements of this one. Houses, trees, etc.

There are a lot of differences.

PUBG armor reduces damage from bullets but also applies some of that damage to the armor itself. Armor can survive multiple fights and still be useful. Tiers of armor reduce damage by increasing amounts. Armor is clearly visible on an enemy. You always know if you're shooting at a level 1/2/3 helmet and vest. You can not carry extra armor and helmets.

Fortnite shields absorb damage 100% until sheilds are gone. There's no reduced damage. You can not tell if someone has a shield or not. Due to the importance of shields, it's always good to have spare potions taking up inventory slots.

You're totally right... i didnt really think he was talking about the actual mechanic... more just the visual indicator. Having a backup is a must.

Mikey Jr.

Bigger map is #1 my biggest request. Only problem is that it takes quite a long time to fly to the outer edges of the map from the bus already. Making the map larger would just exacerbate the issue. They could solve this by making the glide faster, or putting the bus higher up.
Also, make it possible to keep pace with the storm at the absolute least. I've had groups straight up quit in the storm because it was clear that either we weren't making it, or we had to travel a LONG distance because the circle fucked us, and we decided it wasn't worth the effort with the amount of healing items we would have to use.

Also, #2 request. SHOULDER SWAP.
Please please please EPIC add this sooner than later. A third person shooter not having shoulder swap is insane.

Just don't be like this guy.

I always expect it. So be stealthier than that :p

Don't be like this guy either.

If he wasn't standing still all exposed like that, I would have just destroyed 1 plank in his single stair ramp to bring down the whole fort. It's always better to build a multiple wall tower that takes longer to destroy. And if you're going to build stairs up to a fort like that, never use wood.

Definitely didn't mean anything like either of those scenarios. It would be more a very quick build of steps (brick or metal) to either the mid point of your tower or the top. Essentially forcing the engagement and doing so from an angle (and with speed enough) that denied you destruction.

Good tower though, I rarely see any like those in my games and the advice is more for the typical box-forts you get.

Bigger map is #1 my biggest request. Only problem is that it takes quite a long time to fly to the outer edges of the map from the bus already. Making the map larger would just exacerbate the issue. They could solve this by making the glide faster, or putting the bus higher up.

Bigger map would require quite a big redesign to the gameplay. You need, as you said, either more time to fly or faster locomotion out of the bus, you need faster land locomotion as well, so vehicles. Loot distribution, ammo quantities, etc would have to be rethought else people would be swimming in gear by the end (already happens to an extent, but would get way worse). Circle timings and movement speed would have to be massively tweaked, as well.

The whole game loop would change and would be much slower, probably.

The ๖ۜBronx;251563460 said:
Definitely didn't mean anything like either of those scenarios. It would be more a very quick build of steps (brick or metal) to either the mid point of your tower or the top. Essentially forcing the engagement and doing so from an angle (and with speed enough) that denied you destruction.

Good tower though, I rarely see any like those in my games and the advice is more for the typical box-forts you get.

I know. I was just posting a funny example. I really don't know what that guy was doing with the grenades =)

Bigger map would require quite a big redesign to the gameplay.

Yeah. I like the current map size actually. It's much smaller than PUBG, but also much faster paced. The number of players is ususally down to 20-30 before the 2nd circle timer appears o_O

Bigger map would require quite a big redesign to the gameplay. You need, as you said, either more time to fly or faster locomotion out of the bus, you need faster land locomotion as well, so vehicles. Loot distribution, ammo quantities, etc would have to be rethought else people would be swimming in gear by the end (already happens to an extent, but would get way worse). Circle timings and movement speed would have to be massively tweaked, as well.

The whole game loop would change and would be much slower, probably.

Yup. Map size is perfect as is. Part of the reason i got burnt on PUBG was because i thought it was far too big and there was way too much downtime and driving in vehicles etc. They've found the happy middle ground where the map doesn't feel small but there are engagements far more often and less "boring stuff".

Yup. Map size is perfect as is. Part of the reason i got burnt on PUBG was because i thought it was far too big and there was way too much downtime and driving in vehicles etc. They've found the happy middle ground where the map doesn't feel small but there are engagements far more often and less "boring stuff".

OK, more maps then.

GodofWine

Hmmm, if shields made you have a slight blue aura around you, that would be a major decision for me, get shields, or skip them to maintain my status of being a "Bush-Wookie" :)

Definitely would impact the bush camping though.

Hmmm, if shields made you have a slight blue aura around you, that would be a major decision for me, get shields, or skip them to maintain my status of being a "Bush-Wookie" :)

In a positive way though. Trade having a shield for bush camping. Good trade off.

OK, more maps then.

I can totally get behind this and i agree. I'd love a few maps this same exact size. I feel that there is much more room for them to get creative with the "wacky" nature of Fortnite. Hell, give me a "Dinosaur Island" map or a "Future City" map etc. Could add some really fun stuff!

In a positive way though. Trade having a shield for bush camping. Good trade off.

Yup! Exactly how Islands of Nyne handles shields in their FPS battle royale game. Dude on left has a shield and it can be seen at a distance with a light blue glow.

ForestMK18Scope.jpg

I can totally get behind this and i agree. I'd love a few maps this same exact size. I feel that there is much more room for them to get creative with the "wacky" nature of Fortnite. Hell, give me a "Dinosaur Island" map or a "Future City" map etc. Could add some really fun stuff!

Whatever maps they add would probably have to work with the wood\brick\metal aesthetic of the crafting. So I'm not sure if something futuristic would work.

I'd like to see a snowy setting though. A desert themed map would also be neat. It'd be cool if they could also work in some dynamic weather. Just something to change up the same old visuals. The day/night cycle is great though.

Yup! Exactly how Islands of Nyne handles shields in their FPS battle royale game. Dude on left has a shield and it can be seen at a distance with a light blue glow.
  • I don't feel like having a shield should make you more visible to others
  • I think shields need some sort of visual indicator
Not sure how I reconcile this. I agree 100% with the argument but I also don't think picking up additional defence should be done at the expense of making you more of a target.

thinking-face_1f914.png

Whatever maps they add would probably have to work with the wood\brick\metal aesthetic of the crafting. So I'm not sure if something futuristic would work.

I'd like to see a snowy setting though. A desert themed map would also be neat. It'd be cool if they could also work in some dynamic weather. Just something to change up the same old visuals. The day/night cycle is great though.

I'm sure they could work in their 3-material scheme with just about any setting. They could even do something in the past... a "Pirate Island" map (for a cool example) and still work in brick/concrete and metal.

I do agree with the weather. Adding in rain, snow, storm, fog etc. would really add to the experience. Altering the view distance with some of these weather effects wold be great.

Dense fog early in the morning limiting view... but by the afternoon it's transitioned into full on thunderstorm or something

Fancolors

Would dig map rotations and random climate changes that affected how the game is played. Something akin to PUBG's mist would be ideal. Maybe modifiers that changed how building materials work or how loud certain audio cues get.

OK, more maps then.

I definitely would be down with that, yeah.

Oh yeah, maps set in different climates/environments could be great. Alpine map, desert map, archipelago map. PvE has rain/storms, IIRC, so dynamic weather has some precedent.

I feel with some tweaking, more interesting maps and bits... this could end up being the BR equivalent of "Sea of Thieves". And i'm super OK with that.

Footprints visible in the sand/snow maps?

That'd be awesome. Especially if the snow muffled your footprint sounds a bit. The stealth aspect could be a lot more interesting. You'd be quieter, but maybe more easy to see since player models would have more contrast against bright white snow.

I wonder if they have any plans to add water\swimming\boats. I could see a topical island themed map working out if they could pull that off.

More maps would definitely be cool. Also dialing up the wackiness. There are a large number of guns they could pull from PvE to make the BR mode super weird, including a firework launcher, flare pistol and a ton of melee weapons.

That'd be awesome. Especially if the snow muffled your footprint sounds a bit. The stealth aspect could be a lot more interesting. You'd be quieter, but maybe more easy to see since player models would have more contrast against bright white snow.

I wonder if they have any plans to add water\swimming\boats. I could see a topical island themed map working out if they could pull that off.

All great ideas!

And give me BR on the OG FarCry island with jet skis etc. stat! lol

They have removed scoped ARs...because they are next to useless.

You've been outplayed if you come up against someone in a good fort imo, yes there is an element of luck with the circles but you can usually wait it out until they have to move.
But yeah, it's frustrating... But I don't feel cheated

Still you don't understand that a fort is easier than sitting in a bush. And running from a fort is a damn sight easier because you can build cover.

Top Bottom