• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Poster Report: Sony cuts Vita shipment for France by 50%

test_account

XP-39C²
I wonder if many people are gonna buy one and go home only to realise they need the card for extra $$$ to be able to use it. It's just one of those things that if you weren't told by the salesperson (tho I have no doubt EB/Gamestop etc will force it down the customers throat) you wouldn't know. Can imagine it souring a few people on their purchase. They shoulda just bundled in a small card as a starter pack- hell, even Nintendo, who are massive cost-cutters did it.
It will happen, but i dont think it will be a big problem in general. It was the same situation on the PSP and i dont think this was a big factor.

If the PS Vita had used standard SD card like the 3DS uses, then you would probably see it bundled with the Vita as well. I do think that a Vita bundle will be made with a memorycard included somewhere in the near future though.

Foffy

Banned
He took a pay cut so that the 3DS could live. I doubt he's laughing.

If it allows him to keep the integrity that Nintendo has that makes it Nintendo, perhaps it's for the best.

Iwata knows that the biggest things that move their hardware is their software.

JWong

Banned
Everyone pretty much needs a phone though. Difficult to compare the pricing there. Also, it's often paid for through a subscription model. Few people actually pay that price upfront.

Yeah, you're right, the phone part of the iPhone is $450 8P

A.KU.MU

Banned
Iwata: (laughs)

nNGTH.png

I've gone from a Vita day one to a Vita purchase later in the year

Mainly because Sony haven't really done much to keep me interested since the reveal, there's been all of the disappointments with memory card prices, and third party support is still nowhere to be seen (outside of launch window)

They're doing the opposite of what Nintendo have done with 3DS (Underwhelming hardware but third party software is looking decent now)
I really think Sony's presence has been wavering the past year or so, they're losing my interest

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
What trainwreck?

Constant bad news
System underperforming in Japan
Absolutely no hype at all in USA
No really huge names in the horizon aside from what we can expect from a Sony exclusive, and if the PS3 taught us something is... those aren't the huge system sellers Sony want them to be.
Selling at a loss in a company with great financial stress.

Yeah, its pretty bad so far. But hey... look what Nintendo did!

daffy

Banned
Seeing Vita crash and fail so hard is fun. Of course I want one and want them to compete with Nintendo (or they would suck) but the train wreck is hilarious. They can' get one thing right.

This is why people lie about being gamers.

btkadams

Constant bad news
No really huge names in the horizon aside from what we can expect from a Sony exclusive, and if the PS3 taught us something is... those aren't the huge system sellers Sony want them to be.

i don't know... i think neogaf is blowing shit out of proportions just like they did with nintendo. there might not be hype in NA, but there hasn't been any advertising. let's not forget the lack of buzz that the 3ds released with when every non-gamer thought it was just another ds revision.

i think all of the doom and gloom articles/opinions are total bs until we actually see it in all of the world markets for a year. the 3ds had such an insane turnaround that i really think anything is possible. the vita will likely not sell as much as the 3ds, but i believe it still has a chance to be successful.

Zutroy

^

I think when the public actually get to see it hands on in store it will do a lot of good too.

It's certainly from a hardware POV getting a lot of praise so far from the gaming media.

neptunes

Seeing Vita crash and fail so hard is fun. Of course I want one and want them to compete with Nintendo (or they would suck) but the train wreck is hilarious. They can' get one thing right.

Come on man, I know they've made a few boneheaded decisions, but nothing really *gasp* worthy.

Most of these issues won't even be remembered in 5-6 months from now, it'll always come down to the software, we'll have to wait until e3 to see whats coming on the horizon.

??

I just find it interesting from a business point of view. Console wars are completely stupid to me.

how it is "fun" when console makers fail? i'm not interested in the vita or the 3ds for now (too pricey and with no software released that i really want to play, although nintendo is starting to get a few titles, and vita has gravity daze) but wanting companies to fail is weird.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I wonder if many people are gonna buy one and go home only to realise they need the card for extra $$$ to be able to use it. It's just one of those things that if you weren't told by the salesperson (tho I have no doubt EB/Gamestop etc will force it down the customers throat) you wouldn't know. Can imagine it souring a few people on their purchase. They shoulda just bundled in a small card as a starter pack- hell, even Nintendo, who are massive cost-cutters did it.

When I bought my PS2 I completely forgot I would need a memory card, I hadn't even thought about it at the time and the guy in the shop didn't mention it to me and mum at the time, I ended up taking it home and having to play the first part of MGS2 and GTA3 over and over for a week till my mum and I could go in and get a memory card.

I despise the lack of any onboard memory at all, it is pretty ridiculous at this stage that you can't take a device home and play one of the bigger games for it without actually having a memory card.

Burai

shitonmychest57
i don't know... i think neogaf is blowing shit out of proportions just like they did with nintendo. there might not be hype in NA, but there hasn't been any advertising. let's not forget the lack of buzz that the 3ds released with when every non-gamer thought it was just another ds revision.

i think all of the doom and gloom articles/opinions are total bs until we actually see it in all of the world markets for a year. the 3ds had such an insane turnaround that i really think anything is possible. the vita will likely not sell as much as the 3ds, but i believe it still has a chance to be successful.
You don't see that being a problem a month out from launch?

Nintendo may have faltered with their pre-launch marketing campaign, but at least it existed. I really am convinced that this will be the thing that sinks the Vita. No-one outside of the hardcore enthusiasts have any idea that this thing even exists and it's a whole month away from launch. I remember PSP hype. It was absolutely fever-pitched by the time the hardware launched.

Jeez, now I'm scared for the vita :(

Scared for both a insta price drop when I buy it and scared it will go RIP

Vita needs some good news now! But this is Deja vu, 3DS had horrible news before it's launch, hopefully vita bounces back

test_account

XP-39C²
Constant bad news

Constant bad news is from people who speculate in doom & gloom, at least i havnt seen any other bad news about Vita. This report (in the OP) isnt even confirmed, but even if it is true, i dont concider it as bad news since it is too early to tell how the Vita will sell in France.

Underpreforming in Japan, it isnt exactly lighting the chart on fire, that is true, but it is not horrible sales numbers. Besides, it is too early to tell much about long term success.

How do you know that there is no hype? It is still over a month until the system comes out, so you wont see much adverticing just yet.

Call of Duty and Assasins Creed are pretty huge names in my opinion. But it is too early to say much about long term western support, the system isnt even out in the west. I'm not sure why people expect "every" game to be announced months before the system is out. Wait until E3, give it a chance at least :)

Selling at a loss, i dont know about that. From what i've heard, if there is a loss, it doesnt sound like it is a big loss at all, and they probably make this loss in on memorycard and game sales.

Thanks for the answer, but personally i dont see anything that i would describe as a trainwreck here.

daffy

Banned
??

I just find it interesting from a business point of view. Console wars are completely stupid to me.

oh sorry, i thought you were laughing at a gaming handheld's misfortune. I understand if you are interested in seeing how sony responds to it or something, i guess. :0

Burai

shitonmychest57
Call of Duty and Assasins Creed are pretty huge names in my opinion. But it is too early to say much about long term western support, the system isnt even out in the west. I'm not sure why people expect "every" game to be announced months before the system is out. Wait until E3, give it a chance at least :)
Because that's what happens with pretty much every other system pre-launch?

Developers have had "NGP" dev kits for a long, long time now. The silence is deafening.

test_account

XP-39C²
Because that's what happens with pretty much every other system pre-launch?

Developers have had "NGP" dev kits for a long, long time now. The silence is deafening.
Every system gets "every" games announced months before the system launch? I didnt know that. But what are people expecting to hear regarding announcements?

How long have developers had the devkits? I know that Ridge Racer was made in about 8 months, and i dont think that they sat on the devkits for months without doing anything. If ~8 months goes for everyone, then this is not a long time at all, especially when we talk about developing big titled games.

tzare

Constant bad news is from people who speculate in doom & gloom, at least i havnt seen any other bad news about Vita. This report (in the OP) isnt even confirmed, but even if it is true, i dont concider it as bad news since it is too early to tell how the Vita will sell in France.

Underpreforming in Japan, it isnt exactly lighting the chart on fire, that is true, but it is not horrible sales numbers. Besides, it is too early to tell much about long term success.

Selling at a loss, i dont know about that. From what i've heard, the loss is not really big at all, and they probably make this loss in on memorycard and game sales.

Thanks for the answer, but personally i dont see anything that i would describe as a trainwreck here.

Agree, is a system targeting the core and while has a nice range of Software it has no game to destroy the charts. Plus sony has been to generous on advertising. But they've sold ok and i think that it is a system that will grow slow but steady, mouth to mouth and hopefully a range of xbla/psn like games, plus the ocasional console-like title will make the system a great gaming device. Plus for next xmas, a price drop is likely to hhappen due to lower costs thus reaching a wider audience.

popeutlal

For the US market Vita might do ok for a while when that COD game comes out...or maybe by the time it does come out the COD fan fare might drop off.

[Nintex]

Every system gets "every" games announced months before the system launch? I didnt know that.

You didn't? Everyone but Shane Kim knew about Resident Evil 5 before the Xbox 360 shipped. The same for Lost Oddessey, Mass Effect, Dead Rising, Ghost Recon and many more titles that weren't for launch.

test_account

XP-39C²
Agree, is a system targeting the core and while has a nice range of Software it has no game to destroy the charts. Plus sony has been to generous on advertising. But they've sold ok and i think that it is a system that will grow slow but steady, mouth to mouth and hopefully a range of xbla/psn like games, plus the ocasional console-like title will make the system a great gaming device. Plus for next xmas, a price drop is likely to hhappen due to lower costs thus reaching a wider audience.
Indeed. Eventhough one could argue that there are signs of doom & gloom, i can understand some of those arguements, i'm still staying optimistic about the sales since i think it is too early to tell that they will fail.

[Nintex];34198001 said:
You didn't? Everyone but Shane Kim knew about Resident Evil 5 before the Xbox 360 shipped. The same for Lost Oddessey, Mass Effect, Dead Rising, Ghost Recon and many more titles that weren't for launch.
I ment compared to the Vita :) That pretty much every other system gets a lot of huge titles announced months before the system is out. For Vita we have Call of Duty, Assasins Creed and Bioshock. I dont think this is too shabby compared to other systems before launch. One might also argue that it is somewhat of a difference between consoles and handheld, that it is more expected to see the big established titles on consoles instead of on handhelds.

Also, this time several of games "collide" with eachother. I mean, i think it is unrealisitc to see i.e a Resident Evil game being announced for the Vita now because Capcom is already busy with Revelation.

Burai

shitonmychest57
[Nintex];34198001 said:

Basically.

Here's a list of some of the 360 titles unveiled on the MTV unveil special back in 2005:

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/xbox-360-inside-and-out-6124293/?page=4

Some like Alan Wake barely even existed by that point.

test_account

XP-39C²
Basically.

Here's a list of some of the 360 titles unveiled on the MTV unveil special back in 2005:

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/xbox-360-inside-and-out-6124293/?page=4

Some like Alan Wake barely even existed by that point.
When you concider Call of Duty, Assasins Creed and Bioshock for Vita, then i dont think that this Xbox 360 list looks exactly a lot better. But as i mentioned in the post above here, i think it is argueable that it is more expected to see consoles get more support of big titles compared to handhelds.

EDIT: And i didnt mean to sound rude when i said "Every system gets "every" games announced months before the system launch? I didnt know that.". I just wanted to point that out :)

Massa

When you concider Call of Duty, Assasins Creed and Bioshock for Vita, then i dont think that this Xbox 360 list looks exactly a lot better when we talk about huge titled games. But as i mentioned in the post above here, i think it is argueable that it is more expected to see consoles get more support of big titles compared to handhelds.

There's also the fact that the Vita has a packed launch line-up, unlike the Xbox 360.

apana

I liked the clamshell form factor of the Sony P Tablet better than the Vita design. It looks a bit too "gamey" to carry around in public. They should have also taken my advice and put a vitality sensor in there.

sony-S2-tablet-2840_440x330.jpg

For all the people complaining about virtual buttons, there is clearly space for real buttons and analog sticks on the sides. It may be a tight fit but they could always decrease the screen size. Anyways I would use haptic feedback on the bottom screen in order to differentiate from 3DS. Imagine playing PlayStation Cats and actually feel like you are stroking a cat.

gogogow

Also, this time several of games "collide" with eachother. I mean, i think it is unrealisitc to see i.e a Resident Evil game being announced for the Vita now because Capcom is already busy with Revelation.
Huh? Why not? They announced all those games you mentioned while they were working on MW3, ACR and Bioshock Infinite.

spwolf

No really huge names in the horizon

eh, Vita has great lineup in Europe.
It might sell for shit. It might bring Sony down.
It might cause the 3rd world war.

But it will be said it had the greatest launch lineup of all times.

You got apsolute blockbuster in Fifa, and best selling PS3 exclusive in UC, as well as shitload of genuinely good games. HGS, SSD, UC, Wipeout, Mlb, Fifa, F1, NGS, VT4....

So lets not rewrite the history. Games in Europe are there. 3rd party support is there.
Whatever else happens, games were there.

Takao

Banned
eh, Vita has great lineup in Europe.
It might sell for shit. It might bring Sony down.
It might cause the 3rd world war.

But it will be said it had the greatest launch lineup of all times.

You got apsolute blockbuster in Fifa, and best selling PS3 exclusive in UC, as well as shitload of genuinely good games. HGS, SSD, UC, Wipeout, Mlb, Fifa, F1, NGS, VT4....

So lets not rewrite the history. Games in Europe are there. 3rd party support is there.
Whatever else happens, games were there.

something something gran turismo something something

Carl

Constant bad news

I disagree with all of these points, but especially this one. Pretty sure Shu or someone said that they're profitable on Vita from the start? Not necessarily on hardware, but the console+game+memory card or whatever is profitable

Edit: here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434368

Vita is not doomed.

People saying this are just as crazy as those who wrote off the DS, PSP, 3DS, PS3 etc.

Time will make the reactions in this thread look stupid in retrospect.

Top Bottom