• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Poster Report: Sony cuts Vita shipment for France by 50%

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Viva la Vita?

More like hasta la vita.

edit: ugh... someone beat me and did it better. :(

The probably re-evaluated the market and determined the extra units would be better served in a region in which they would sell quicker. Happens all the time; not necessarily an indictment of the hardware or an admission of defeat.

Foffy

Banned
Yeah that would be great for ga-

sOwFk.jpg

Nevermind.

Oh my God. Really? Really?!

Virtual buttons are a very selective control scheme. For many of the games we're used to, they don't fucking work. It actually pains me to see virtual buttons for Crash Bandicoot, and I'm not even a fan of those games!

Makes me wanna punch a kitten. ):<

krae_man

It was my understanding that most US sales tax is avoidable. VAT isn't.

My point is Europe isn't getting screwed over on price by Sony as much as those two posters were claiming but not mentioning the prices included VAT(20% in the UK ranging from 15%-25% in the EU).

Also you are incorrect. Most states do have a sales tax, it's a lot less then 20% but they have sales tax none the less.

Virtual buttons are a very selective control scheme. For many of the games we're used to, they don't fucking work. It actually pains me to see virtual buttons for Crash Bandicoot, and I'm not even a fan of those games!

It's not so bad.

All of them can be moved anywhere you want and resized any way you want, which is a neat idea.

But actually yeah all touch controls are terrible always.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

It still looks better on that tablet than their other one:

w0KxX.jpg

Snakeyes

I liked the clamshell form factor of the Sony P Tablet better than the Vita design. It looks a bit too "gamey" to carry around in public. They should have also taken my advice and put a vitality sensor in there.

sony-S2-tablet-2840_440x330.jpg

This is what a 3DS revision should look like.

herod

My point is Europe isn't getting screwed over on price by Sony as much as those two posters were claiming but not mentioning the prices included VAT(20% in the UK ranging from 15%-25% in the EU).

Burgernomics is a better way to prove that.

Eric C

It was my understanding that most US sales tax is avoidable. VAT isn't.

Maybe in Alaska or someplace that doesn't have sales tax.

But no, US sales tax isn't really avoidable... well unless you shop at Amazon.com but technically you're still supposed to keep track of those purchases and pay the sales tax when you pay your yearly income taxes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sony needs to work hard to make this a success.
Unfortunately games and support are not there yet. It's pretty difficult to justify a 250€ purchase with an other extra 50€ for the memory card to play an Uncharted spinoff or the usual Wipeout and Minna No Golf.
I feel that Vita will follow the footsteps of 3DS, miserable post launch sales, Sony in panic mode, price cut to 199€ and big games in time for holiday 2012.

Wow. This doom and gloom needs to stop. It was funny at first but now its just silly.

250 was the same price as 3DS and people bought it. Launch line up is strong and certainly better than 3DS. 'usual' wipeout and golf? Hasn't it been years since either was released?

Theonik

Wow. This doom and gloom needs to stop. It was funny at first but now its just silly.

250 was the same price as 3DS and people bought it. Launch line up is strong and certainly better than 3DS. 'usual' wipeout and golf? Hasn't it been years since either was released?
People were pretty lukewarm of 3DS too when it was $249. It wasn't until the price cut that it really took off.

Sony isn't competing with a Nintendo at 250 dollars with a bad launch lineup. Sony is competing with a Nintendo at 170 dollars, with a nice handful of killer apps.

Also the 3DS launched with 0 competition other than it's own predecessor, and even then some people buying it isn't exactly that great of an argument. Sony doesn't have the same market conditions at all as Nintendo did, and the odds are very stacked against them.

Tenck

How'd that magnificent launch go with the 3DS? I heard it was pretty good I hear.

Nintendo fan here, so I would advise against calling me a Sony fanboy

why?

that's the big question. diverted elsewhere? production problems? those seem likelier than the doom and gloom predictions.

Takao

Banned
Yeah, but they bought it. Feels like vita is suffering from the sins of the 3DS

I was actually going to make a thread asking GAF if the terrible 3DS launch, and price collapse had soured people on buying a Vita, but was afraid of being called a troll or something.

don't need a case just throw it in your bag.

Add a few buttons on the bottom and it could be great. Damn expensive though

I don't care about cases, but more so holding those devices. I get hand cramps quite easily with the DS/3DS.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Really. US price converted to UK pounds + 20% = £195
UK price (including VAT @ 20%) = £229.

Sony EURO tax in effect right there.

Sub £200 is kinda okay for a next gen handheld. Over £200 and you start have a large psychological barrier for the consumer to overcome. Dumb Sony.

I saw those boxes with the earbuds, I want a vita, I didn't even consider buying the box.

I don't need some trashy earbugs to scam me into preordering before even knowing if it'll have any problems, I'll buy a vita at release.

Maybe if it included a sizeable memory card or a game or something I'd have considered.
Also first thing you think when you first see the box is 'wut vita is out?' then you see it's not and your next thought is fuck that then.

Whoever said 'golf games' in a demeaning way clearly is just a fanboy who doesn't have a PSP, hot shots golf is one of the best handheld games and one of the better games out there... only trumped by hot shots tennis.

FtsH

I liked the clamshell form factor of the Sony P Tablet better than the Vita design. It looks a bit too "gamey" to carry around in public. They should have also taken my advice and put a vitality sensor in there.

sony-S2-tablet-2840_440x330.jpg

I like this.

I should have known the Vita launch was going to be a disaster when GAF got excited for the system and when they announced the strongest launch lineup since the Dreamcast.

Foffy

Banned
People were pretty lukewarm of 3DS too when it was $249. It wasn't until the price cut that it really took off.

Price isn't the issue with me. It's the fact there's very little at launch to swarm to it, and especially nothing planned that far past launch to make me want to have one to prepare for. As I've mentioned, there are about two games I'd want for Vita, and neither are coming out anytime soon. That's a hard sell for me.

I think the system lacks that type of appeal in software that some come to expect when they look at say, a Nintendo platform, and that the appeal of the system at launch will be about how powerful it is. It's very similar to how the PSP was, if I recall. I don't recall there being any notably worthwhile title at launch that justified the purchase. Sure, there's Uncharted, but that falls into the problem of it aiming to be a console experience on a portable. I think the sales of the PSP and a similar approach by Sony were an indicator that maybe not everyone wants that, because it's the unique games like the Patapons and Loco Rocos that truly make the portable experience shine on PSP.

It's a bit spooky that we're repeating 2004-2005 all over again.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Never heard of artificial shortages?

Yes. I think Sony are in deep trouble and don't know what they're going to do. It seems they are going to fight really hard to avoid a price cut so soon but I think it's inevitable. They will be forced to do it to maintain any form of momentum.

Right now. I wouldn't like to be a developer investing heavily in Vita. It must be a worrying time for them. I also think you're going to get devs who will now take a 'let's wait and see' approach rather then jumping in.

Top Bottom