• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

KHarvey16

commedieu said:
Jesus. It just... doesn't... stop..

foghorn-leghorn-with-henery-hawk-0.jpg

You take offense to that? :lol

commedieu said:
Right. You dont care.

And?

I don't. It makes no difference as far as how the game itself plays. I swear, you and Interfectum dance around any sentence you don't like (or in his case, every single post I've ever made in this thread, even the ones directly addressing him, which is disappointing).

I'd really like to know what you thought of the demo and how you feel the gameplay stands up to Prologue. (Unless you've posted this already and I missed it.) DG can say whatever he pleases. The words aren't going to form into some kind of sentient blob that are going to sap features from either GT5 or FM3's game discs.

I mean seriously, why would anyone care, much less me?

BenjaminBirdie said:
I mean seriously, why would anyone care, much less me?
I look forward to the hypocrisy and double standards you and some of the others in here are 100% guaranteed to demonstrate when a Sony dev makes similar statements.

KHarvey16

theignoramus said:
I look forward to the hypocrisy and double standards you and some of the others in here are 100% guaranteed to demonstrate when a Sony dev makes similar statements.

That he thinks his game is good and offers a challenge for others to live up to? Anyone criticizing such sentiments deserves to be mocked openly. It's insecurity at its most base form.

bj00rn_

Banned
theignoramus said:

So that's what this is about; Pre-Counter-trolling..? Uh..

theignoramus said:

I wouldn't hold your breath as far as I'm concerned, tag or no.

m0dus

Banned
Interfectum, there is no 'half of a lens flare' feature in photoshop, bud. You're on fumes at this point.

But I will hand it to you---you have been, by far, the most entertaining part of this thread. One step short of someone having a clusterfuck meltdown of epic proportions, slitting their wrists and bleeding all over a burning effigy of Dan Greenwalt on youtube for all to see, it is YOU who have made this one worth coming back to!

shinnn said:
more food

Forza Motorsport 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Prologue comparison
F430 Suzuka comparison - Forza wins

er, in what way? there's more background detail, yeah, but if you're comparing the IQ of these shots, I wouldn't be quick to agree...

Durante

I don't know which is which (yeah, I have been following this no more than I should), but the lower one is much better. Better IQ and far more realistic lighting.

Muerte_X

jakonovski said:
What's wrong with physics at 360Hz?

Yeah, I don't understand why that part is bolded. While I do think it's a weird way of describing it, it does mean 360 times a second, which is true.

This thread cracks me up though. It's almost like reading youtube comments, lol.

Durante said:
I don't know which is which (yeah, I have been following this no more than I should), but the lower one is much better. Better IQ and far more realistic lighting.

they both have some qualities... but neither are fun to play like for instance:
- mario kart wii
- burnout paradise
- Motorstorm Pr
- AND HELL... NFS shift

m0dus

Banned
belvedere said:
I know. If you look, FM3 was embarrassingly defeated graphically in under 5 pages.

:lol

yeah, no.

The prologue car definitely has better lighting, and the overall image is certainly smoother, I'll give it that easily. forza 3 has more trackside detail, better vehicle shadows, and better track lighting and shadow. I'm unaware of what their capture process is (framebuffer grab I assume?) but this is a bit more of an aliased mess than it actually is. Still, based on overall image quality, I'd say based on these shots prologue looks nicer.

m0dus

Banned
Interfectum said:
Maybe they should run their collision detection at 360Hz too

Images courtesy of Gameswire

Again, fanatics, don't shoot the messenger

Hmm. my only problem here, mr messenger, is that you can turn off all collisions in online play (it keeps bumper-car racers from pulling their crap). Had you ever, you know, played any of the games you're so frantic to criticize, you'd know that ;-) certainly makes for fun screenshots though!

Interfectum said:
So have these been confirmed to be photoshops now that we've seen the real in-game and photomode models which look nothing like them

Or are Turn 10 still claming it's a 'bug' in the debug build?
I knew your act was familiar and as soon as you posted those pics I remembered who you remind me of.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=46880

Alt account got banned and this thread was ammo to come out with the regular account?

If i wasn't told which was which i wouldn't know. In motion i wont be able to tell the difference. Kind of makes all this effort trying to decide which is better pretty damn pointless.

Always-honest said:
they both have some qualities... but neither are fun to play like for instance:
- mario kart wii
- burnout paradise
- Motorstorm Pr

Pretty much this. I don't mind some GT or forza but they wont come close to being my favourite racing games this gen.

dfyb

Banned
m0dus said:
Hmm. my only problem here, mr messenger, is that you can turn off all collisions in online play (it keeps bumper-car racers from pulling their crap). Had you ever, you know, played any of the games you're so frantic to criticize, you'd know that ;-) certainly makes for fun screenshots though!
those aren't from an online race -- see the rewind message?

senahorse

dfyb said:
i wasn't seriously asking. modus accused the shots of being from online, but you can plainly see the rewind message

I apologise sir, nice detective work. :D

edit: I guess it's a replay feature or for taking a photo?

m0dus

Banned
dfyb said:
those aren't from an online race -- see the rewind message?

Not at first--That was the first thing I thought of when I saw those, though. I should see if I can turn off collisions offline for the sake of the argument. : )

edit--found the article, as usual, he decided not to post the source, or the context:

http://www.gameswire.net/screenshots/forza-motorsport-3-in-game-glitches-exposed_214.html

We’ve been playing Forza 3 lately, and like almost everything that we’ve seen so far.

Which means there were some small, almost insignificant things that we weren’t impressed by, such as the glitches we’ve captured here.

either way, he's presenting this as somehow being the 'norm', when no one has had any issue with anything like that thus far. Which is kind of his game, after all. As someone who has a green disc copy, i can tell you they've asked us to report any and all glitches we find, as the 'review' builds we have, while content complete, are still considered pre-production (I imagine that any major bugs will be patched on launch day). So why exactly they're making an article about it, I'm not certain. As for me, I've encountered a texture loading glitch on one track, thus far, and that's it. I've never had any collision issues along the lines of what they describe above--and yeah, I've taken to driving backwards on the ring to see just how many times I can roll my car :)

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
This thread is almost over guys. I know it's been a long wait, but at last, I, Cataferal of the Neogaf Gaming Discussion forums, am about to unleash my much hyped opinion on the comparison between these two racing games. You're going to need to sit down in order to take in the magnitude of my words.

Are you ready for it?

Here it comes....

They...

both look absolutely amazing.

You'll be happy regardless of which one you choose.

Thank you kind ladies and sirs, and I hope you all have a wonderful evening.

belvedere

Junior Butler
m0dus said:
yeah, no.

The prologue car definitely has better lighting, and the overall image is certainly smoother, I'll give it that easily. forza 3 has more trackside detail, better vehicle shadows, and better track lighting and shadow. I'm unaware of what their capture process is (framebuffer grab I assume?) but this is a bit more of an aliased mess than it actually is. Still, based on overall image quality, I'd say based on these shots prologue looks nicer.

Modus I respect you, but good lord only a blind person could honestly convince themselves that FM3 looks better than GT5. Yeah, GT5, not GT5p which is all we have to compare a finished FM3 to. Also, how many cars does FM3 produce on screen at what resolution again? Looking worse doesn't make FM3 a bad game. You overly sensitive individuals need to understand this.

commedieu said:
Jesus. It just... doesn't... stop..

foghorn-leghorn-with-henery-hawk-0.jpg

As the physics runs at 360 Hz on the Xbox 360, we should expect them to run at 3 Hz on the PS3, it´s all pretty obvious. :D

What is he refering to when he is talking about partnerships?

"Gran Turismo is a great game and when it comes out I'll play it. But I think that without the partnerships and without the commitment, it will be very difficult for another team to replicate what we've done."

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I don't see the fuss over the 360 Hz comment? Many game engines have their physics engine(s) running decoupled from the framerate, and it's very common to have even a basic physics engine running at least double the framerate. So if there are multiple physics engines at work, 360 Hz isn't at all out of the question. One of the last games I worked on had at least 3 physics engines running at one time, with two of them being pretty hefty.

XiaNaphryz said:
I don't see the fuss over the 360 Hz comment? Many game engines have their physics engine(s) running decoupled from the framerate, and it's very common to have even a basic physics engine running at least double the framerate. So if there are multiple physics engines at work, 360 Hz isn't at all out of the question. One of the last games I worked on had at least 3 physics engines running at one time, with two of them being pretty hefty.
I don´t think people is questioning the 360 number. It´s just funny that Dan is trying to come up with some number that he can throw around and compare to the GT series as he has no clue what kind of physics calculations the GT5 will use, or even what frequency the GT5 Prologue game uses.

The frequency number in it self is also not the only important number when it comes to physics qualities, so it really makes him look stupid, pulling that number out of his hat and making comparative statements to the GT franchise. :lol

ShapeGSX

shinnn said:
more food

Forza Motorsport 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Prologue comparison
F430 Suzuka comparison - Forza wins

Is Suzuka one of GT5:p's best tracks? Apparently we can't compare them unless it is one of GT5:p's best tracks. ;)

I don't think it is one of Forza's best looking tracks, But still, there is definitely a lot more detail and variation in the textures in the Forza version of it vs the Prologue version.

painful fart said:
I don´t think people is questioning the 360 number. It´s just funny that Dan is trying to come up with some number that he can throw around and compare to the GT series as he has no clue what kind of physics calculations the GT5 will use, or even what frequency the GT5 Prologue game uses.

The frequency number in it self is also not the only important number when it comes to physics qualities, so it really makes him look stupid, pulling that number out of his hat and making comparative statements to the GT franchise. :lol
No. Dan Greenawalt simply feels his game offers others a challenge to live up to.
Anyone criticizing his sentiments deserves to be mocked.
You ignorant cunt.

m0dus

Banned
Interfectum said:
You must have missed that in your hurry to discredit them

You must have forgotten the link, or the accompanying article, in your hurry to post them? Or is a veteran forum-warrior such as yourself simply unfamiliar with the term 'source' :lol

Quick time to find another excuse

Sadly, there is no excuse for you, my friend.

m0dus

Banned
belvedere said:
Modus I respect you, but good lord only a blind person could honestly convince themselves that FM3 looks better than GT5. Yeah, GT5, not GT5p which is all we have to compare a finished FM3 to. Also, how many cars does FM3 produce on screen at what resolution again? Looking worse doesn't make FM3 a bad game. You overly sensitive individuals need to understand this.

Overly sensitive? Dude, you're binging GT5 into the discussion, and presenting opinion as fact. You can argue about being blind, but like it or not, these games excel in different areas, and people who are NOT obsessed with system-warz bullshit are going to base their preferences on these areas. I've done the prologue / fm3 comparisons on my own TV for crying out loud; There are obvious areas where each trumps the other. Deciding which is the 'best' is always going to be a matter of opinion, and people need to realize that. That's the only 'fact' here, and it's overly sensitive NOT to accept it.

God, posting in this thread is like jumping into a fucking swamp

shinnn

Interfectum said:
Maybe they should run their collision detection at 360Hz too

http://i33.tinypic.com/2udxdox.jpg[img]

[img]http://i38.tinypic.com/2s7ytsz.jpg[img]

[img]http://i34.tinypic.com/2dhtbn7.jpg[img]

[img]http://i34.tinypic.com/2ntwjnr.jpg[img]

Images courtesy of Gameswire

Again, fanatics, don't shoot the messenger[/QUOTE]

[B]Gameswire: All modern games have small bugs and issues, and in Forza 3’s case, [U]everything moves so quickly that you won’t even notice the collision problems[/U].
[/B]

Could be worse.. like that:

[IMG]http://i35.tinypic.com/do2u0o.gif

think about it :lol

Top Bottom