• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Shurs

proposition said:
Because when you're a Generation Ahead™, you don't have to obey the laws of physics.

Or it could be that it's a game conference demo of a game that's coming out in 6 months and only one of the cars on the track had damage enabled.

eso76

Apex said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17375304&postcount=8244

What?? do you play with arcade physics, race tires and all aids on?

GT5P:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r18asYISVRM#t=6m07s

Still the king: :D
snip

i stand corrected on the rolling start, however i've been playing GT with aids off since GT1 :p and that doesn't change my opinion on body roll not feeling accurate in a series of opposite turns; at least when playing with a pad.

Speaking of which, i should add that i'm playing gt5p with an old rumbleless sixaxis, and as stupid as it may sound rumble really helps a lot getting a very basic tangible feedback from your car in these games; going back to a pad that doesn't rumble kind feels like playing racing games without engine noises, so maybe that has something to do with it.

And holy shit, quicksand physics ? winner

Doc Evils said:
Are you defending this?

Jeepers creepers, who would defend it?

But what's supposed to happen? Should I never fly on airline because every passenger plane has within it the capability to crash into the ocean if something goes wrong? A glitch is a glitch. Every game on Earth has them.

What's so telling is that you and Interfectum and Commedieu and Firewire aren't spending this time explaining your experiences playing the FM3 demo and comparing your impressions to those you have had playing GT5P. No, instead you drag out screenshots or videos of glitches or PR quotes.

Newsflash, devs are going to say any number of things about their game that are almost guaranteed to never come to pass. Is this defensible? No. Is this in any way relevant to the gameplay experience? No. Do I play the FM3 demo with a little phantom Greenawalt on my shoulder saying "Ooh, didn't that turn feel definitive? Wow, look at that breaking line. How definitive is that?" Of course not. I'm thinking "Shit, shit, get up to that guy, get past that guy, don't fuck up this turn, shit, okay, made it." All the stuff that is being focused on in this thread is completely antecedent to the gameplay of either game.

Newsflash, you can find a shitty screenshot of anything, but further newsflash, hold onto your butts, GT5, in any iteration, is going to look better than FM3. "Bu - bu - bu - Greenawalt was LYING!" Okay. Fine. What next? Because it really seems like that's all you have. Instead of focusing on where the gameplay experience failed for you, you're talking about how the PR bullshit or screenshots or media has failed you. And you don't play any of those. And there's a demo right there available for anyone who wants it.

Interfectum

antiloop said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpewurgIikY

Deflective car shield and scripted damage on the car crashing..

Image-343-197-xbox360logo2.jpg
hertz_logo2.jpg

Doc Evils

BenjaminBirdie said:
Newsflash, you can find a shitty screenshot of anything, but further newsflash, hold onto your butts, GT5, in any iteration, is going to look better than FM3. "Bu - bu - bu - Greenawalt was LYING!" Okay. Fine. What next? Because it really seems like that's all you have. Instead of focusing on where the gameplay experience failed for you, you're talking about how the PR bullshit or screenshots or media has failed you. And you don't play any of those. And there's a demo right there available for anyone who wants it.

Well actually this thread has proved its purpose very well. Mr. Greenwalt has been proven to be talking out of his arse. Like what has been said many times in earlier pages, his comments is what led to the creation of this thread in the first place.

I'm sure you've been following this in the first place, many weeks ago when Mr. Greenwalt was speaking vitriol against KY as if he had some kind of highly polished looking game. Where do you think the idea for this thread came from? It was mainly the GT5 thread so a debate could be made to see if Mr. Greenwalt could live up to his rhetoric and to see if the PD were showing CG.

And oh boy did we get some revelations from this thread.

Doc Evils said:
Well actually this thread has proved its purpose very well. Mr. Greenwalt has been proven to be talking out of his arse. Like what has been said many times in earlier pages, his comments is what led to the creation of this thread in the first place.

I'm sure you've been following this in the first place, many weeks ago when Mr. Greenwalt was speaking vitriol against KY as if he had some kind of highly polished looking game. Where do you think the idea for this thread came from? It was mainly the GT5 thread so a debate could be made to see if Mr. Greenwalt could live up to his rhetoric and to see if the PD were showing CG.

So basically you have no actual interest in a "Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison", this is a "Dan Greenawalt/Che Chao Witchhunt Hey Hand Me That Duct Tape And Close The Door Behind You, Thanks" thread?

That explains a lot actually.

Keikoku

Banned
Doc Evils said:

No. GT fans trolling in the Forza thread/GT thread led to the creation of this thread.

Interfectum

Doc Evils said:

Yep Forza 3's failed to live up to everything he said it would be in his 'best this best that' speech.

You also have to remember that many fanatics bought right into Greenwalt's BS for 2 years so you can understand their defensive attitude since this very thread serves an embarrassing reminder to them of how gullible they were.

Interfectum said:
Yep Forza 3's failed to live up to everything he said it would be in his 'best this best that' speech.

You also have to remember that many fanatics bought right into Greenwalt's BS for 2 years so you can understand their defensive attitude since this very thread serves an embarrassing reminder to them of how gullible they were.

Not really. The game is out and we've been playing it. I'm certainly not defending Greenawalt's statements (except occasionally from a semantics standpoint, because it amuses me.) I'm defending the game itself, as I've played it.

mujun

Doc Evils said:

Yep, who wanted to cut through the bullshit and get to the facts and who just wanted to troll away with impunity.

Keikoku

Banned
Interfectum said:

According to many reviews, it's the best racing game of this gen.

It totally failed to live up to the expectations !

So full of shit.

Doc Evils

Keikoku said:
No. GT fans trolling in the Forza thread/GT thread led to the creation of this thread.

And what was the main reason behind the trolling? someone saying something about another game and gassing up his own?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
eso76 said:
Also: insidesimracing on clutch and transmission in fm3

I'd agree with them on it. Using Manual + Clutch option on the FM3 demo was the highlight of that demo, for me. I generally just set my shit to automatic and be done with it in racers, but Forza 3's clutch (if I can set it somewhere other than LBumper, but now it's starting to grow on me on that button...) is one of the first "car sims" to actually make driving a manual "fun." You have to remember to clutch to shift up/down before doing the shift otherwise you fuck your engine over. And then you have to watch your RPM's/level to pop the clutch and shift. It becomes more "active" in driving. Which is fun, for me.

Doc Evils said:
And what was the main reason behind the trolling? someone saying something about another game and gassing up his own?

Pretty much. But you have to admit it's in poor taste to keep slagging the developer that MADE the genre (on consoles, anyway) that you're building on.

McLovin

antiloop said:
Does this happen in the final game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpewurgIikY

Deflective car shield and scripted damage on the car crashing.. we have a long way to go before we can call physics in any of these games definitive or realistic.
Yeah I always wondered why Forza's damage model got so much praise. Its like the whole car gets damaged if you damage just one part of it. Kind of like it has layers of damage skins on the car model. Its really last gen when you look at games like Grid, Dirt, even Burnout Paradise.

AnIco

eso76 said:
i stand corrected on the rolling start, however i've been playing GT with aids off since GT1 :p and that doesn't change my opinion on body roll not feeling accurate in a series of opposite turns; at least when playing with a pad.
In GT4, find a license test where you have to weave through traffic cones and then try and come back with the same claim.

IMO, weight transfer, roll, self-exciting oscillation and similar effects are better simulated in Gran Turismo.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
erahk64 said:
Forza 3 video review by Insidesimracing.
There will probably be a video with better quality later
since the Insidesimracing video quality usually is
much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VID_ndJJ3pI&feature=sub
Some of their comments are going to rile some people up here. :lol

The elite PC master race is impressed.

We didn't make this show to make console racing, but now we can't, you guys can't turn your back on something like this, and Forza 3 is definitely a sim.

Their comments of the physics, which accounts for the most points of any other individual part of their review (starts around 19:33 mark), which they gave a 13/15:

S: I think one of the things they really achieved in physics is, how much overall they brought into the overall concept, how many things they're taking into account. We talked about the clutch.

D: 400 cars, and they all seem to have distinct modeling, tire wear, the adjustability of the cars, the telemetry. You can see the contact patch, you can see the suspension travel, these physics are pretty amazing.

S: Maybe not as sophisticated as the top top adjustable sim, but...

D: Let's compare it to an iRacing or Netcar Pro or even an Arca Sim, all three of those have great physics, even rFactor, all of those have great physics. I'll tell you right now, put those through this weighted scale, this is going to score right with them.

S: This drives like a real car.

Their comments on damage is that it seems a little soft, but are still good enough to set a benchmark and is even better than some PC sims like iRacing.

mujun

Doc Evils said:

Okay so if a person, paid by a company to talk their own product up lets his mouth get the better of him and takes the hyperbole too far that entitles detractors of the game or the system it's on take free shots at the game and the game's fans?

Stupid.

McLovin

jakonovski said:
So what did you do to check what the damage model did? Do you at least have a replay for us?
No.. I actually didn't really care all that much. Just wondering why it got praise when so many games do it better.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Interfectum said:
Insidesimracing?

Never heard of them.

Why would anyone get riled up by their comments? :lol
Well, you wouldn't, seeing as you aren't a racing gamer, at all.

Bumper and side damage in forza is mostly aero effective, if you crunch up the front of the car and the sides become yellow that's mostly because you just bent the damn car somehow, or at least applied pressures to adjust the sides by a bit of a crumple or messed up the skirts.

What I hate though is that in the F3 demo I can crash head on into another car and while the front looks damaged, somehow by magic the back of my car receives scratches, dents != scratches, turn10

Wax Free Vanilla said:
It certainly wins the worst modeled track award.

It seems they were more interested in added fictional mountains/details than making the track surface as accurate as possible.

Why are all the real circuits off in Forza?
Any real pictures to compare for us? or are you going by being too use to gran turismo visuals that forza looks wrong?

mujun said:
Yep, who wanted to cut through the bullshit and get to the facts.
This is the last place to get important facts on either game, not with so many armchair experts offering their uninformed opinion as to why one game doesnt do this and that or that and this.:)lol :lol at the guy that said GT5 does rolling starts so that its 16 cars are always 100m apart with a low LOD.:lol ) Furthermore, any 'fact' can be spun into a negative or positive light with only a little bit of effort.
We dont even fully know what's going on in GT5 (weather, realtime damage modeling calculated on the fly?), the press can't seem to get conclusive statements from KY.
This is the thread to sling shit, at franchises, PR, posters,etc,let's call a junkyard by its name.
I'm having a blast in here.:lol :lol

Interfectum

Wax Free Vanilla said:
It certainly wins the worst modeled track award.

It seems they were more interested in added fictional mountains/details than making the track surface as accurate as possible.

Why are all the real circuits off in Forza?

A lot of Forza tracks have that problem of lacking accuracy.

Did they outsource the tracks to India as well or was it just the car models?

Dabanton

So what will be the main talking point for this monday guys? Last week it was the rewind feature in Forza 3 and it's destruction of an entire genre.

Things seem to be slowing down in here maybe we can compare the manufacturing plants where the discs are pressed and see which ones looks better.

Senua

Interfectum said:
Insidesimracing?

Never heard of them.
they are huge sim fans unlike the shitty ign/gametrailers and gamespot reviewers..look at how in depth they go compared to the big review sites

nib95

Banned
Diablohead said:
Any real pictures to compare for us? or are you going by being too use to gran turismo visuals that forza looks wrong?

Well here's a quick video (low quality) of M Schumacher around Suzuka. I certainly don't see any mountains etc, and colour wise I'd say GT5P looked more realistic. But couldn't really properly compare without a proper HD version to compare with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lazr...CEB563AE4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2

Here's another better vid. Again, which I'd say based off, GT5P has the edge in realism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SukBpzVt1JI

AnIco

Diablohead said:
He's right. For example, the modelling of the overpass is one of the most glaring inaccuracies in Forza 2 (and the real tracks in FM3 appear to be identical). It's almost like the FM developers just got basic topographical track data and then added generic racing props in random places round the track.

Top Bottom