• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Chrange

Banned
Iknos said:
This is one area where Forza wins. When you see a collision in GT it looks incredibly arcadey and you lose all sense of reality. In Forza the way the cars react when they collide look realistic. This doesn't apply to when you hit walls or tire walls though.

Tinypic has a bunch of gifs showing collisions, though it's way too hard to do a coherent search for them unless people have tagged them intelligently.

I laughed at this one:
v6mef9.gif

It's not really the collision physics themselves though. It's the way the car that hits it goes rocketing in the other direction that strikes me as funny for some reason.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Dragnet said:
You've been able to wheely a certain car in GT since like GT3..

/GTdefenceforce

lol the pikes peak Suzuki glitch ;p I know all about it, I used to go around the test track like a bat out of hell.

adelante

Chrange said:
Tinypic has a bunch of gifs showing collisions, though it's way too hard to do a coherent search for them unless people have tagged them intelligently.

I laughed at this one:
v6mef9.gif

It's not really the collision physics themselves though. It's the way the car that hits it goes rocketing in the other direction that strikes me as funny for some reason.
That's not a collision, silly....that's a deflection.

Chrange said:

I laughed at this one:
v6mef9.gif

Fuck man, this game doesn't simulate driving backwards at full speed into another car properly? Fail.

adelante said:
With so much processing power put into superfidelity cars and have 16 of them on a track, you can only so much left for physics calculations...

TBH, thats what I always thought, I think Polyphony and Turn 10 just have different priorities, although Turn 10 did put more focus into visuals this time around, they are starting to complete the package.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Great collision gifs, pre damage model of course. Almost as relevant/realistic as finishing a race after hitting a wall at 120 mph.

longdi

Banned
shinnn said:
superior physics ftw

a1ixif.jpg

I am not too into sim racing genre but that look stupid :lol

Anyone have the balls to show Kaz these types of video, tell him some GT things need fixing? I always got this feeling PD is like what Sony was 3 years ago, surrounded by yes fanboys, sitting comfy at their ivory towers, doing things at their own pace.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
jett said:
Considering the track is a "tribute" to the touge mountain races...it looks really fucking dull.

Fairytales and magic, old man. That track leads to the D Dimension.

Recoil

shinnn said:
superior physics ftw

a1ixif.jpg

In fairness to GT, this is all about not being able to roll-over cars + lack of damage.

Too much energy, nowhere to go. So the car just spins. We've seen the problem in other games, you could even do something like that in Forza/Forza2, though nowhere near as dramatic --- their anti-rollover measures were more graceful. But who the hell wants to rate a game by how good its license-mandated anti-rollover code is? :p

edit: What's actually of more concern to me is that the car behind seems to suffer no ill effects at all from the collision, and in fact seems to magnetically pull itself right back on track

Lion Heart said:
Fuck man, this game doesn't simulate driving backwards at full speed into another car properly? Fail.

It's this one I'd pay more attention to. Sarcasm nothing, the point of a physics engine isn't to account for several situations one by one, it's to create a programming system complex and robust enough to approximate reality, and account for all conditions.

If your physics is done right, your collisions should more-or-less go along with them. This speaks to a greater limitation of the GT physics engine, that it's simply not robust enough, and rather just trying to approximate a very limited reality.

Definitely where Forza is ahead here, though hopefully when the final GT5 is out, there's some improvement. I'm crossing my fingers, but I'm not betting on it after Gamescom.

jett

D-Member
Seems like Forza 3 wins.

Kazunori Yamauchi is incapable of caring about anything other than how pretty the cars look. Fucking piece of shit campaign mode in GT5 is the exact same fucking thing as it was in GT1, 2, 3 and 4, where's the goddamn evolution. I grew tired of randomly clicking around some crap world map five years ago in GT4.

longdi

Banned
jett said:
Seems like Forza 3 wins.

Kazunori Yamauchi is incapable of caring about anything other than how pretty the cars look. Fucking piece of shit campaign mode in GT5 is the exact same fucking thing as it was in GT1, 2, 3 and 4, where's the goddamn evolution. I grew tired of randomly clicking around some crap world map five years ago in GT4.

Ivory towers hmm...sho lovely.

You know what they should do? Something along the lines of the Burnout Paradise "drive to events" mode in GT5 or Forza, like an alternative to clicking on events. Something just to let you enjoy the drive I guess.

Sounds stupid when I have a car outside but w/e. :lol

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Dreams-Visions said:
so Forza 3 wins by default, right? by virtue of being on the market 4-6 months earlier?

And by the looks of it being great too.

Demo tonight.

If the GT 5 delay is for the better then so be it.

EmCeeGramr said:
Redbeard blinks. It couldn't be. But it is. Staring at the other cars on the street, he can clearly tell. They are low-poly and jaggy. Terrible lighting. But this is real-life. Shaking, his hands grip the wheel as he notices the incredible lighting and texturing on his car's interior. So perfect. So beautiful.

The Forza cars drive by, inferior, ugly. They show no respect. Redbeard's knuckles are white as he grasps the wheel even harder, his teeth grinding together. How dare they. How dare they be so insolent. People are beginning to honk, for the light is green. Redbeard cares not. The fools have probably never seen more than 8 cars on a road at once. Idiots. Morons. Pieces of fucking shit. He knows what he must do.

Redbeard slams on the accelerator as his car barrels through the real world at 1080p. It's more beautiful than the old reality could ever be. But it is polluted and defiled. The pollutants must be eliminated. Redbeard slams his car into the Forzashits at high speed and watches as the crumple and roll over like the scum they are. His wheels grind up their cages and their drivers' bones. He turns his eyes towards the sidewalk. Horrified onlookers scream at the godly Car that can attack others and simply bounce off. But to Redbeard, they all have the laughing face of Evil Fucker Che Chou. He takes off towards them, too fast for Che's pathetic feet. Cheblood for the Dark Lord Kazunori. His car, no, HE, he and his car are one, absorbs the Cheblood and combusts the Cheblood and expels fumes of Cheblood and the smell of the burnt Cheblood reaches Kazunori in the high plain of Polyphony and He is most pleased at His servant. More and more blood.

The city is now a lake of blood and Redbeard is its pirate king, driving through the blood, taking in the offering to the master. Suddenly a bulge appears in the blood and what should burst from it in a sickening shower of crimson but a Chewhale, blowing lies and bullshots through its blowhole. Redbeard smiles. A worthy offering for the master. He glides through the blood now to strike down the abomination when it turns and opens its mouth. Inside is merely a massive tire with a perfect rim, with individually modeled lug nuts. Redbeard is frozen. No. No. No. His car disappears into the maw and the world and heavens are swallowed by the Chewhale.

He awakes with a scream. Redbeard looks around his room and the gleaming light of his PLAYSTATION 3 and PLAYSTATION 3 Slim assures him that it was just the dream again. It's becoming more and more frequent now. More real. Redbeard looks at the nightstand. His keys stare back at him.

"Soon, my master, soon."

Post of the year.

Top Bottom