• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Booshka

I find it kind of silly that Turn 10 will have released 3 full fledged racing titles before Polyphony has released one. GT5 will hopefully be amazing, because when I think of the comparisons, Turn 10 has truly done great work in that department.

KHarvey16 said:
Stephen Totilo on Kotaku's live blog.

well, i guess we'll hear the release date soon. but 65% makes no sense.

it's been in development for how many years? to think there's still 1/3 of time left to go would mean it would come out in 2011

Yoboman

Gold Member
This is boring, let's come up with names for the remote

Piimote, ORBTROLLER, Rainbowstickandball??? Come on

Everyone's talking about poly counts and jaggies and track details but really is that what jumps out at you when you are playing the game? What really separates this gen's look from the last is the lighting, shaders, texture work, etc.

For example, the car in GT5P looks like it's actually out in the sun, at a glance it looks very realistic.
site_gran-turismo-5-ss-192.jpg

In FM3, the lighting looks really artificial, like it's in a box being lit from all sides equally.
forza-motorsports-r33-gtr-rear.jpg

I don't know, maybe if we look closer, FM3 is doing some things better but at a glance, the GT5P car looks better.

m0dus

Banned
akachan ningen said:
Everyone's talking about poly counts and jaggies and track details but really is that what jumps out at you when you are playing the game? What really separates this gen's look from the last is the lighting, shaders, texture work, etc.

For example, the car in GT5P looks like it's actually out in the sun, at a glance it looks very realistic.

I don't know, maybe if we look closer, FM3 is doing some things better but at a glance, the GT5P car looks better.

You picked two different shots, from two different angles, of two different cars, on two different tracks, with two different sets of lighting conditions, yo. ;)

Oh, and show me your rage, etc, etc.

I think the first Forza on Xbox was a terrible game and way overhyped by the Xbox owners back in the day. I played it a lot a lot at a friends house and it was a joke compared to GT4.

Now I haven't played Forza 2, but it looked much better. Forza 3 looks really really good and I will definitely get it. Even though I fucking hate Turn10's attitude towards the press....

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

how the hell do I speed up gifs?

is it impossible to make them 60fps? lol

schennmu said:
I think the first Forza on Xbox was a terrible game and way overhyped by the Xbox owners back in the day. I played it a lot a lot at a friends house and it was a joke compared to GT4.

Now I haven't played Forza 2, but it looked much better. Forza 3 looks really really good and I will definitely get it. Even though I fucking hate Turn10's attitude towards the press....

Forza 1 was an amazing game... Why was a joke to you? It introduced damage and livery editing, the only thing anyone can knock on it was the framerate.

this thread is hilarious, especially for someone who doesn't care about either game and just wants to see the fireworks!

Stripper13 said:
Am I the only one who looks at that picture and thinks - Holy fuck the track looks atrocious?

I honestly couldn't give a shit whether GT5 or FM3 is the better/prettier game, but the track detail on that shot is fucking awful - especially in the top left corner with the sand etc.

At least the car models look fantastic.

Edit: Which game is it from?
well, there are more than 8 cars so it's not too hard to guess...
that's what you want someone to say, amirite?

Slayer-33 said:
Forza 1 was an amazing game... Why was a joke to you? It introduced damage and livery editing, the only thing anyone can knock on it was the framerate.

- Bad engine sound, bad drifting sound (Forza 2 fixed that I think)
- Cars felt slippery, unsolid, not real
- Graphics and framerate did not hold up to GT4 (plastic look... I know, old argument, but I think it definitely applied ot Forza 1)
edit: A lot of the tracks were also very boring and the classes were badly balanced. AI also liked to cheat.

jaypah

FortunateSon said:
You've been on my case? What's up? Yes, I'm passionate about GT. Because I've been playing GT for a while now. I hate it when people bash GT with no absolute facts to back up their claims. Like I've been asking for one thing, people keep claiming as if it's a fact that Forza Motorsport 3 has better physics than GT5, how so? Prove it. It ain't that hard. I prefer legitimate points, counter-points etc...

How about you get off my case and mind your own shit.

@ That other dude who said I was passionate about GT, yes I am. Ps3? No. It's my favorite console by far though. Play it the most. I own all 3 consoles.

:lol well damn! so serious for what is essentially digital hot-wheels. you can love your toys dude, i just find it funny that you take a game so serious. you're like that wrestling fan, "IT'S REAL TO ME DAMMIT!"

for real. calm down.

Guy Legend

Slayer-33 said:
Forza 1 was an amazing game... Why was a joke to you? It introduced damage and livery editing,

Project Gotham Racing 2 had damage (which I believe came out before Forza). Not sure about part 1 or even MSR.

Shaneus

Slayer-33 said:
30bzj0y.jpg

how the hell do I speed up gifs?

is it impossible to make them 60fps? lol
Try again... rehost somewhere else maybe? I'm keen to see exactly how much of a bad job that other person did of giffing that footage.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Shaneus said:
Try again... rehost somewhere else maybe? I'm keen to see exactly how much of a bad job that other person did of giffing that footage.

oh it was bad bro it was running like @ 2fps :lol it actually runs @ 60fps locally on my pc though

Rody

What does a car look like when it gets hit multiple times during a race in Forza 2? I mean, the ugliest it can get. I've never seen it.

Recoil said:
WUT

WUT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSGMtz-dTuM

:10 to :30

edit:

Also this. Really?

I haven't played nearly enough GT to make a judgment myself, but it was my impression that everyone always applauded Forza's AI, especially when compared to GT.

And I *never* noticed it explicitly cheat.

Do you think that video is "unbiased"?? Also the GT4 part does not even look like GT4 hud to me (maybe Im wrong). Quite frankly, both Corvettes sound like crap.

I know that some people always praised Forza1 engine sound, but I never understood that. For me it was unified lawnmower sound.

AI was more "human" than GT and a step in the right direction. Still, it perfectly managed to control fully tuned cars without a struggle, which made the game terribly hard in higher classes >> See slippery cars.

Gotta sleep now :( will check this thread tomorrow :D

Duelist

I gotta say, whoever designed that track and the trailer made some nods to Initial D. The five hairpins in a row on the track? The two cars turning around the pylons like that? I like their style. :D

m0dus said:
You picked two different shots, from two different angles, of two different cars, on two different tracks, with two different sets of lighting conditions, yo. ;)

Oh, and show me your rage, etc, etc.

There's little doubt that GT5 features godly lightning, Probably Forza it's close or even surpasses in a lot of other things (backgrounds for example looks better in Forza, IMO) but lightning alone makes GT5 look better and more realistic...

Is GT5 confirmed 65% done? Will they use the other 35% percent to put some thread marks in at last?

But seriously. WTF are they waiting on? The game is gorgeous. The fans would eat it up. Couldn't they release it and save the rest for GT6?

D'ultimate said:
Is GT5 confirmed 65% done? Will they use the other 35% percent to put some thread marks in at last?

But seriously. WTF are they waiting on? The game is gorgeous. The fans would eat it up. Couldn't they release it and save the rest for GT6?

Don't you mean DLC?

D'ultimate said:

They have pride.

Iknos

akachan ningen said:

I definitely agree and GT5 has been tweaked in all these areas to near perfection.

This may seem harsh on T10 but to me it seems that the artists at PD understand optic theory and know how things should look. Sometimes when you see Ferrari red in Prologue it almost comes off a bit more orange...but that's because it adds up the color temperature of the sunlight with the car color.

The spec highlights are spot on and the manner in which the reflections are more pronounced at angles...there is a term for this that I forget. The bloom that is present in gameplay adds a touch of reality.

I do think that with some tweaking FM3's engine could look near photoreal. From some angles it does...but GT5 has consistently looked better from all angles and lighting situations.

Recoil

schennmu said:
Do you think that video is "unbiased"??

It doesn't have to be unbiased. The footage itself speaks -- that at the very least, Forza1's Corvette sound is definitely way meatier than GT4. Both cars are accelerating, on a straight. It doesn't look like anything is purposely out of context or misleading there at all -- I don't know about you, but at least that part of the video checks out to me.

Iknos

Sabotage said:

This is one area where Forza wins. When you see a collision in GT it looks incredibly arcadey and you lose all sense of reality. In Forza the way the cars react when they collide look realistic. This doesn't apply to when you hit walls or tire walls though.

KaYotiX

Banned
Which one is better?? Who cares?? most are buying both

I just want to play them, by the way it sounds out of TGS we wont play GT5 untill 2011.....

Top Bottom