• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

I'm curious about people's scores in these.

GT5 | FM4 Visual Challenge [A]

GT5 | FM4 Visual Challenge

Each gallery is roughly half-and-half. I've deliberately chosen pics with some tells, so some should be able to get perfect scores, but shots were chosen because, basically, they look good. Also, if you're clever, there should be a way to cheat.

Those look pretty easy, specially if all of them are unedited outside of the game.

The GT pics are pretty bad overall, you should've chosen stuff like:

8589476513_e9fea220b2_z.jpg

8593585420_0de0a1a444_z.jpg

or

8589474551_70dbfea83c_z.jpg

Those seem slightly edited though.

Sorry, but they were way too obvious.

To me at least. But then again, I have been taking photos in them both for over a year. So I know all the telltale signs.

Just do it in the format like [Galler A]: F G G F G F F etc etc

Since that's the whole point, to make you substantiate your view and compare it to the reality.

I''l try anyway wish me luck :)

[A]

F G F F F G F F G G F F G G G G F F F

F G F F G G F F F G (don't even know what I am looking at here) G F G F F G

Again the hardest ones were the zoomed in ones.

Come on, this is no fun if people don't show off their knowledge.

I'm not going to attempt it because I'm very new to both of the photomodes, but there's a large number of posters who have very solid opinions on what is possible out of the two modes.

Edit: damn it, i'll give it a go later

Gestault

Maybe if the pics were not edited and some of them are zoomed in.

Again the challenge is to use pics that are not edited or zoomed in. Obviously some cars are in F4 that are not in GT5 and vice versa and the same goes to tracks so make sure you choose a car and track thats in both games.

None are edited. Again, everything you're saying should make it incredibly easy to discern. Again, I left some in to make it easier for you.

Gestault

Sorry, but they were way too obvious.

To me at least. But then again, I have been taking photos in them both for over a year. So I know all the telltale signs.

Just want to let the record show that Farrow, who's made several posts telling everyone how easy it is, still hasn't been willing to try. I'll give you two guesses why.

I''l try anyway wish me luck :)

[A]

F G F F G G F F F G (don't even know what I am looking at here) G F G F F G

Again the hardest ones were the zoomed in ones.

Me too, why not lol:

(can't see shit) G G F F G F F G G F F G G G G F G F

F G F F G G F F can't-see-shit G can't-see-shit G F G F F G

I'm pretty sure I'll get a few wrong though, too many frigging filters.

Anyway:

Link 1:
Forza
GT
GT
Forza
Forza
GT
Forza
Forza
GT
GT
GT?
Forza?
GT
Forza
GT
GT
Forza
GT
Forza

If I was fooled by some, I blame the post processing.

I'm curious about people's scores in these.

GT5 | FM4 Visual Challenge [A]

GT5 | FM4 Visual Challenge

Each gallery is roughly half-and-half. I've deliberately chosen pics with some tells, so some should be able to get perfect scores, but shots were chosen because, basically, they look good. Also, if you're clever, there should be a way to cheat.

GT, F, F, GT, GT, F, F, GT, F, GT, F, GT, F, GT, F, F

F, GT, F, F, GT, GT, GT, F, F, GT, ???, F, F, F, F, GT, GT

Took a guess but those picture were TERRIBLE. Cranking the contrast and messing with the color saturation does not a good picture make.

fm5co21dnfcp.png

Who can tell what game this is?

Pretty much.

Gestault

So far, no one's gotten above 30% right.... (quick calculation, it might be higher)

Once Farrow gives his answer, I'll post the results. Again, no editing or out-of-game changes has been made to any of these images aside from masking the watermarks.

[Farrow has now dedicated four posts to saying how easy it is to tell, but can't actually take a guess.]

Here is a handy guide to help people notice the difference:

How to make a Forza 4 picture look "Realistic":

gP0Oyq0.jpg

How to make a GT5 picture look "Realistic":

0DWbN3S.jpg

Farrow, what's your point?

Both modes have an abundance of camera settings - and it's obvious that GT's come out as more natural by default, but I'd place that down to the lighting system rather than a technical deficit.

Especially considering people cannot tell the difference between the two.

Farrow, what's your point?

Both modes have an abundance of camera settings - and it's obvious that GT's come out as more natural by default, but I'd place that down to the lighting system rather than a technical deficit.

Especially considering people cannot tell the difference between the two.

I think his point is, if you want people to say which is which, don't use filters that hide imperfections and make the pics fucking tiny.

Link 2:
Forza
GT
Forza
Forza
GT
Forza
Forza
GT?
Forza?
Forza?
Are you shitting me? GT?
GT
Forza?
GT
Forza
Forza
GT
Probably got more wrong on this one.

So, what's the real result Gestault?

So far, no one's gotten above 30% right.... (quick calculation, it might be higher)

Once Farrow gives his answer, I'll post the results. Again, no editing or out-of-game changes has been made to any of these images aside from masking the watermarks.

[Farrow has now dedicated four posts to saying how easy it is to tell, but can't actually take a guess.]

Ones I'm SURE I got right (in caps):

A - f(can't see shit) G g F F G f F G G f f G f G G F G F

B - F G F F g g f f can't see shit G can't see shit G f G f F G

So I think that's above 30%.

The whole listing thing is confusing though, I was expecting a survey with pics lol

I think his point is, if you want people to say which is which, don't use filters that hide imperfections and make the pics fucking tiny.

All of these filters are available in-mode.

Not really hiding anything if the settings in both games allow/encourage you to fiddle with the image.

Kind of like real-photography.

All of these filters are available in-mode.

Not really hiding anything if the settings in both games allow/encourage you to fiddle with the image.

Kind of like real-photography.

You can also zoom in x200 on something just so you have nothing but a blue screen and you can do it all in-game, but it kinda fucks up the point of comparing things doesn't it?

Gestault

I'm giving up waiting on Farrow. He's been adequately called out. Particularly for how easy and obvious it apparently was.

Gallery A Key : F G F G F G F G F G F G F G G G F G F [this is bad info, see below]

Gallery B Key : F G F G F G F G F G F G F G F G F [this is bad info, see below]

Corrected Key:

Gallery A: f g g f f g f f g g f f g g g g f g f
Gallery B: f g f f g g f f f g g g f g f f g

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Just want to let the record show that Farrow, who's made several posts telling everyone how easy it is, still hasn't been willing to try. I'll give you two guesses why.

He's worried that his responses will be so correct that it'll put everyone into a coma.

I'm giving up waiting on Farrow. He's been adequately called out. Particularly for how easy and obvious it apparently was.

Get over yourself, mate. It was so bad that it wasn't even worth my time.

Besides, I told you. All the Forza ones are the ones with high contrast.

Gallery A Key : F G F G F G F G F G F G F G G G F G F

Gallery B Key : F G F G F G F G F G F G F G F G F

Erm... you sure about that?

This is a Forza shot?

eipgwrD.jpg

You can also zoom in x200 on something just so you have nothing but a blue screen and you can do it all in-game, but it kinda fucks up the point of comparing things doesn't it?

Exactly. Can we not just have natural shots of the two games. Adding filters, even if they are in the photomode, or zooming in really close defeats the point.

Well what are we comparing?

Car models?

Camera settings?

Realism? Which relies on angles/filters and lighting?

Trees?

Most of the oft-quoted GT wow shots are heavily zoomed, so why the uproar?

Exactly. Can we not just have natural shots of the two games. Adding filters, even if they are in the photomode, or zooming in really close defeats the point.

No it doesn't.

If we wanted to do that then why wouldn't we just compare direct feed shots in game?

Photo mode is just that, a photo mode.

Lemme know when you actually do your list right Gestault, I wanna know what I really got wrong.

Well what are we comparing?

Car models?

Camera settings?

Realism? Which relies on angles/filters and lighting?

Trees?

Most of the oft-quoted GT wow shots are heavily zoomed, so why the uproar?

Not really no. And we're comparing the game graphical engine obviously.

Gallery A Key : F G F G F G F G F G F G F G G G F G F

6 wrong:
Numbers: 4, 8,9, 12, 13, 18

4, 8 are high contrast (should of got 8 since it was Cape ring right)

9 is def GT5, trial mountain

eipgwrDs.jpg

12 is def Forza, I dont recall a track like that in GT5

13 is def GT5

N9ffc23s.jpg

18 was hard one

Seems like you made some mistakes in typing or is it just me?

Gestault sort your shit together your ruining a fun game and experiment.

Gestault

6 wrong:
Numbers: 4, 8,9, 12, 13, 18

4, 8 are high contrast (should of got 8 since it was Cape ring right)

9 is def GT5, trial mountain

12 is def Forza, I dont recall a track like that in GT5

13 is def GT5

18 was hard one

Seems like you made some mistakes in typing or is it just me?

Gestault sort your shit together your ruining a fun game and experiment.

Lemmie double check.

I dun goofed, imgur changed the upload order. Corrected Key (still insert dunce cap here)

Gallery A: f g g f f g f f g g f f g f g g f g f
Gallery B: f g f f g g f f f g g g f g f f g

saladine1

If only the effort that has contributed to this thread was somehow channeled into saving the rainforest or something.

It would be a brighter world for our children.

Won't somebody please think of the children!

Gestault

Again, sorry about the imgur upload goof. I didn't double check because of the other prep-time. Results are above (unless there are any more obvious goofs I've overlooked.)

Quote your original guess and your percentage. Who got the highest of the easy test? (Ty4on is looking pretty dang good)

Again, sorry about the imgur upload goof. I didn't double check because of the other prep-time. Results are above (unless there are any more obvious goofs I've overlooked.)

Quote your original guess and your percentage. Who got the highest of the easy test? (Ty4on is looking pretty dang good)

Still wrong.

This isn't GT

SlJAqD0.jpg

Only got this one wrong on the first gallery:
d2os9Cb.jpg

Considering how zoomed it is, I don't care. That is... if you didn't get this one wrong too, in that case I got all right.

Top Bottom