• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Mascot

So, we've done photomode to death. Covered tyre screech. Debated high IQ with frame drops and screen tearing vs lower IQ with aliasing but 60/v-synch. Talked car model accuracy, compared poly counts, the width of Green Hell, the menus, the lighting, the shaders, the physics, the tyre model, assists, numbers of environments, variety of environments, accuracy of environments, 2D trees, 3D trees, janky stuff carried over from previous versions...

What is there left to talk about? We've got over a month left before the E3 keynotes. We need to pace ourselves, people.

shinnn

No it doesn't. It renders at higher resolutions and adds post processing effects. That's it.

I'd compress the JPGs even more
No. It changes resolutions of shadows, car reflections, adds AA, motion blur, and other effects that Forza does in real-time.

Reiko

Banned
Eventhough its a lighting problem, the interior looks pretty bad compared with GT5 and textures are lacking too. The reason Forza's interiors pale in comparison is because of the modelling and textures.

That depends on the car though in Forza 4. Not all interiors are at the same quality.

So, we've done photomode to death. Covered tyre screech. Debated high IQ with frame drops and screen tearing vs lower IQ with aliasing but 60/v-synch. Talked car model accuracy, compared poly counts, the width of Green Hell, the menus, the lighting, the shaders, the physics, the tyre model, assists, numbers of environments, variety of environments, accuracy of environments, 2D trees, 3D trees, janky stuff carried over from previous versions...

What is there left to talk about? We've got over a month left before the E3 keynotes. We need to pace ourselves, people.

Which has better menu music?

tranciful

Nothing to do with the modeling.

Did I say modeling? No, I said art. Which also includes diffuse maps, specular maps, and normal maps etc -- all things that interact with the lighting engine. Of course, Forza's lighting engine doesn't do it many favors, either.

And to be perfectly clear, modeling CAN affect lighting in big ways if care is not given to the mesh's normals and how the normal maps are generated.

Example:
QcgNOMF.png

Same exact lighting settings with the same lighting engine. Only difference are the mesh's normals.

No. It changes resolutions of shadows, car reflections, adds AA, motion blur, and other effects that Forza does in real-time.

None of those are model swaps.

Shadows / reflections / AA are just a byproduct of rendering at much higher resolutions then down sampling. It isn't an additional swap/extra.

And what are these other effects that Forza does in real time?

Mascot

Not a fan of any GT jazz. And while we are talking menus, I'm not a fan of their serif typefaces either. But I guess all Japanese games have to use serif. It's like the fucking law, or something.

Did I say modeling? No, I said art. Which includes diffuse maps, specular maps, and normal maps etc -- all things that interact with the lighting engine. Of course, Forza's lighting engine doesn't do it many favors, either.

And to be perfectly clear, modeling CAN affect lighting in big ways if care is not given to the mesh's normals and how the normal maps are generated.

Example:
QcgNOMF.png

This man knows what he's talking about. Mistakes in 3D meshes can and WILL produce lighting artifacts.

shinnn

None of those are model swaps.

Shadows / reflections / AA are just a byproduct of rendering at much higher resolutions then down sampling. It isn't an additional swap/extra.

And what are these other effects that Forza does in real time?
better shadows, AA, motion blur and the same dof effect as the final result (GT5 dof in the preview screen is poor). And of course it does swap the model in real-time, or its always loaded in the memory, since you just need to hit start and its already there.

better shadows, AA, motion blur and the same dof effect as the final result (GT5 dof in the preview screen is poor). And of course it does swap the model in real-time, or its always loaded in the memory, since you just need to hit start and its already there.

Better shadows is subjective, Forza is missing lots of self-shadowing for example. AA is better in GT, x4 MSAA +TAA vs x2 MSAA (you only get x4 in time trial and no TAA). Forza doesn't have DoF in real time unless you are talking about the photo mode "real time" (and who gives a shit about that?, not to mention that is still real time in GT as well in that mode), and again, only byproduct of rendering at higher resolution.

And no, for the 1000th time, GT doesn't not swap models for the photo mode.

Are those the "effects" you were talking about? If so... lol

tranciful

Might I ask which is which, and why? I assume most here would use a wheel for either game.

Well, the official wheel from MS is 270 degrees and there were bugs (permanent assists) with 900 degree wheels and Forza can't even use a lot of the wheels on the market. Official GT wheel is 900 degrees and GT5 has great compatibility with other wheels. FF is also better in GT5. Honestly wheel support feels like an afterthought for Forza.

Mr E.

Well, the official wheel from MS is 270 degrees (lol) and there were bugs (permanent assists) with 900 degree wheels and Forza can't even use a lot of the wheels on the market. Official GT wheel is 900 degrees and GT5 has great compatibility with other wheels.
MS wheel is discontinued I believe (the MS one).
GT's official wheel is actually 1080 (Thrustmaster). GT's clutch model is shit tho, unless its been fixed in a patch. My G27's clutch action on GT is not good.

I prefer the FF on Forza with the Fanatec tbh. Torque steer is present and progressive loss of grip is portrayed better for me. It feels rather digital on GT, off a cliff with tire loss not progressive when on the edge. Rally felt good but it kills wheels lol.

Artorias

Banned
Might I ask which is which, and why? I assume most here would use a wheel for either game.

Sorry, thought that would be obvious. Forza is fun with a wheel, but it clearly was not designed around it. I'd even say its often easier to control tense moments on a controller, which is pretty insane.

tranciful

GT's official wheel is actually 1080 (Thrustmaster). GT's clutch model is shit tho, unless its been fixed in a patch. My G27's clutch action on GT is not good.

Ah, forgot about Thrustmaster. I was thinking of the DFGT (what I use)

Hasn't been fixed, it's been fiddled with but still acts like more like a digital input.

Ah, forgot about Thrustmaster. I was thinking of the DFGT (what I use)

How do you know so much about Forza's afterthoughts on wheel use?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Sorry, thought that would be obvious. Forza is fun with a wheel, but it clearly was not designed around it. I'd even say its often easier to control tense moments on a controller, which is pretty insane.
How is it "clearly" not designed around it? Are your claims anecdotal or is there a real reason to believe that this is the case?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Well, the official wheel from MS is 270 degrees and there were bugs (permanent assists) with 900 degree wheels and Forza can't even use a lot of the wheels on the market. Official GT wheel is 900 degrees and GT5 has great compatibility with other wheels. FF is also better in GT5. Honestly wheel support feels like an afterthought for Forza.

Turn10 does not manufacture accessories, true.

shinnn

Better shadows is subjective, Forza is missing lots of self-shadowing for example. AA is better in GT, x4 MSAA +TAA vs x2 MSAA (you only get x4 in time trial and no TAA). Forza doesn't have DoF in real time unless you are talking about the photo mode "real time" (and who gives a shit about that?, not to mention that is still real time in GT as well in that mode), and again, only byproduct of rendering at higher resolution.

And no, for the 1000th time, GT doesn't not swap models for the photo mode.

Are those the "effects" you were talking about? If so... lol

lol wtf you are talking about.

The shadows are much higher resolution after you take a pic in GT5. Those horrible shadows cant be smoothed just by downsampling. The same for the blocky reflections.

The final result of the GT5 pics are not RAW images of GT5 in-game engine. it does much more post processing than FM4 ones, which does not besides the higher resolution. The higher poly model is rendered by the engine in real-time, so does the shadows, and all the camera effects.

You only see those GT5 pics in the image itself. Never in real-time, even in the photomode.

Top Bottom