• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Gestault

Okay then. I'll spell it out for you, Junior member.

1. I said it looked like a photo mode shot because the lighting looked more like photo mode.

2. I pointed out that the car was at a strange angle for chase cam (It appears to be on a central pivot. Which looks off to me)

3. Then I mentioned that it looks too blurred. Because on my TV it looks a lot sharper than that. A LOT sharper, in fact.

Now you suddenly show up telling little stories about grapes and shit :/ I have no idea what your problem is. I think it looks like a photomode shot. What is the big deal here? Move on.

You sure that's how it happened? :) I see a quote history that says otherwise, and someone with a red face who get's flustered when there's a Aesop's fable to match his behavior.

All i know is that i can't take pictures in these games for shit. I'm a jornalist and i have taken classes and i know how to take pictures in real life, but in those games?

It all looks like trash. I played GT5 last night and i tried some, but like everytime, i got bored because i think the mode is a colossal waste of time (shame that now every racing game decided to copy GT on this).

I just don't know how people can get such clean pics.

Mobius 1

All i know is that i can't take pictures in these games for shit. I'm a jornalist and i have taken classes and i know how to take pictures in real life, but in those games?

It all looks like trash. I played GT5 last night and i tried some, but like everytime, i got bored because i think the mode is a colossal waste of time (shame that now every racing game decided to copy GT on this).

I just don't know how people can get such clean pics.

The camera control is less than ideal. I think GT4 had a superior method, to be honest.

The good thing is that the technology is there, all cameras in GT are fully dynamic. They just need to improve the user interface.

Gestault

1. Ad Hominem - Attacking the individual instead of the argument.

Okay then. I'll spell it out for you, Junior member.

You're the one who made yourself look like a fool today, when you got caught trying to pass off the wrong screenshots in your silly game (Then pretending it was Imgur's fault).

2. Non Sequitur - Comments or information that do not logically follow from a premise or the conclusion.

And that Horizon one is a photomode pic taken at a gameplay angle.

Oh well. I just don't remember it looking that blurry. It's like someone smeared vaseline on the screenshot.

Looks much sharper on TV.

I claimed it was a photomode picture because the lighting looked different to what I usually see during gameplay. Nothing to do with the sharpness.

"Made something up because it looked too good"? What? I think it looks like shit. That shot looks like it has GTA4's AA. Blur-a-thon.

1. Ad Hominem - Attacking the individual instead of the argument.

2. Non Sequitur - Comments or information that do not logically follow from a premise or the conclusion.

Interesting damage control. You have suddenly realised that I never said that the picture looked "too good" haven't you :p

As for attacking an individual instead of arguing. I've spent the last two days being called names by Forza fans, for no reason. Don't single me out ;)

Mobius 1

granturismo5_11jalu8.png

granturismo5_10vwz19.png

granturismo5_9koysm.png

granturismo5_3cplxo.png

granturismo5_16ydl1r.png

granturismo5_14b5x0b.png

granturismo5_178ix4r.png

granturismo5_22fkl9z.png

Ok, seriously... what device are you using to capture these direct feed pictures?

Gestault

Interesting damage control. You have suddenly realised that I never said that the picture looked "too good" haven't you :p

So photomode pictures look worse then gameplay then, is that what you're suggesting? Unless you can explain why that would make sense to call out. And you claimed you were actually calling out the lighting. Where's the comment, aside from claiming you had been? Particularly when in the same comment where you claim it was about lighting and had nothing to do with sharpness, one line later, you say it looks incredibly blurry again.

So why exactly would you say it was a photomode pic made to look like gameplay? If not to suggest that it looks better than normal gameplay. You said it with no hint that you were guessing, even though it's categorically untrue. Explaining that would help me understand.

Except you're just lying. Your own words are right there.

Where's the comment

That's my point! There is no fucking comment lol. It's in your head.

I'll spell it out clearly:

I never once said that picture looked "too good". Which you claim I did. Not once!

The only thing I mentioned about it, was that it looked like photo mode and that it was really blurry.

Good lord. I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall talking to you.

Gestault

That's my point!There is no fucking comment lol. It's in your head.

I'll spell it out clearly:

I never once said that picture looked "too good". Which you claim I did. Not once!

The only thing I mentioned about it, was that it looked like photo mode and that it was really blurry.

Good lord. I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall talking to you.

Step 1: Insist an image is photomode, known for the distinction of looking clearer/better than normal gameplay. Literally no mention of lighting.

Step 2: Be called out, because the image would have been literally impossible to be from photo mode.

Step 3: Say it's photo mode because the game "doesn't look like that" amidst a conversation about image clarity. Add a nonsensical and categorically untrue comment about the angle of the car.

Step 4: Say you said it because the image was too blurry, and that it looks sharper on TV. This is a contradiction of the claim that it was from photo mode.

Step 5: Claim your comment had nothing to do with the image's sharpness, but that you had commented that the lighting was bad. No such comment exists. Follow up with a sentence in the same post that the image is not sharp enough. This, again, makes no sense in light of the original claim that the image was from photo mode.

Step 1: Insist an image is photomode, known for the distinction of looking clearer/better than normal gameplay. Literally no mention of lighting

You failed right at the first one lol Don't put words into my mouth.

I. NEVER. SAID. THAT. IT. LOOKED. TOO. GOOD.............. You did! Not me.

Saying something looks like photo mode does not always mean that. I said it because the lighting looked different to gameplay (I feel like a fucking parrot here). Then I went on to mention that it also looked too blurred.

Let it go, mate. Just go outside, have a drink with some friends or something. Then come back all fresh tomorrow.

shinnn

Raw GT5 ladies and gentleman.

(except for the 2 Intro shots that is)

Objectively biased while trying to pretend you're not. And be clearer next time. If I knew the point you were trying to make was so... pointless I wouldn't have bothered.
Are you being a joke character on purpose now? The pic with bad compression was irony, the video with low volume (turn up your speakers ffs) still managed to show both games had the same type of dynamic tire squeal. If you think I actively searched for one with low volume you're an idiot.
GT does not add AA in replays.

I guess that when you mention bad compressing all the time when a ugly picture of GT5 appears is a irony too?

I think its idiotic post a video where the record volume is below the normal to judge sounds.

Oh yeah. My mistake about AA. You didn't explained though why did you said that Forza uses different assets.

I'm using the PS3 XMB, no crappy capture card here :p
Can you take a picture of this spot. So we can see the crappy capture card mith.

amarec20130505-18384a3c24.jpeg

partime

This thread inspired me to boot GT5 up after a year long hiatus.
2GB's of updates later, 50% done...

better be worth it!

Gestault

In GT5 replay, current version: Hovering on the Photo category of the xmb, there is no option for "Take Screenshot." With my keyboard hooked up, which is fully functional, pressing "Print Screen" does not take a screen shot.

Can someone please explain how you take in-game, non photo-mode captures from GT5? I've seen many here claim that you can do that specifically, and as far as I can tell, that's inaccurate.

KillerAJD

In GT5 replay, current version: Hovering on the Photo category of the xmb, there is no option for "Take Screenshot." With my keyboard hooked up, which is fully functional, pressing "Print Screen" does not take a screen shot.

Can someone please explain how you take in-game, non photo-mode captures from GT5? I've seen many here claim that you can do that specifically, and as far as I can tell, that's inaccurate.

I believe it's through custom firmware. With CFW, you can enable the screenshot function on any game (or at least, most games).

Gestault

GT5:[Great pics]

Your move Forza.

[For the record, the top pic is probably one of the best GT5 pics I've seen]

Small Ferrari gallery. Your Ferrari pic is nested so well in terms of composition, I tip my hat to you/it, but still, some Forza retorts I think worth seeing:

And I'll sneak in one higher-contrast image, because I think it looks really cool:

pkAkjyD.jpg

And re: the LFA (which again, beautiful shot), I think this does a good job of seeing how the LFA looks at full detail in Forza, in real-time.

equap

Banned
[For the record, the top pic is probably one of the best GT5 pics I've seen]

Small Ferrari gallery. Your Ferrari pic is nested so well in terms of composition, I tip my hat to you/it, but still, some Forza retorts I think worth seeing:

And I'll sneak in one higher-contrast image, because I think it looks really cool:

pkAkjyD.jpg
why are all the forza4 pics so low res? no full size like the gt5 pics?

Come on who has the guts to post in game Forza shots. I can count on one hand the amount posted in this entire thread. There has been hundreds of GT shots.

Gestault

why are all the forza4 pics so low res? no full size like the gt5 pics?

Most of these are older community pics, and the full-size "big shots" are like 24 mb each, so hosting tends not too last too long for them. One or two in that gallery are at least 720p I believe, but you have to choose to see full-res individually.

Gestault

Come on who has the guts to post in game Forza shots. I can count on one hand the amount posted in this entire thread. There has been hundreds of GT shots.

No capture card here, unfortunately.

Let me be clear: I have both these games running in my living-room. I know how blocky any mid-to-close shadow looks in GT5. Select an Audi R8 and tell me that car looks ok. I know what rain/dust does to the car silhouettes. I know how shadows flicker at mid-range. I know how blocky and filtered reflections look. I know how aliased any straight lines in the background look. I know how the trees can either look like a paper-flat diorama or a cross-stitched alpha-transparency mess. I'm more than happy to compare photo-mode images, because it's fun, but to pretend GT5 doesn't look like garbage overall in real-time is being selective in your assessment.

Turn off the opening cinematic for GT5, wait at the main menu and let it go to the nighttime rainy street race. Tell me that looks good.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
No capture card here, unfortunately.

Let me be clear: I have both these games running in my living-room. I know how blocky any mid-to-close shadow looks in GT5. Select an Audi R8 and tell me that car looks ok. I know what rain/dust does to the car silhouettes. I know how shadows flicker at mid-range. I know how blocky and filtered reflections look. I know how aliased any straight lines in the background look. I know how the trees can either look like a paper-flat diorama or a cross-stitched alpha-transparency mess. I'm more than happy to compare photo-mode images, because it's fun, but to pretend GT5 doesn't look like garbage overall in real-time is being selective in your assessment.

Turn off the opening cinematic for GT5, wait at the main menu and let it go to the nighttime rainy street race. Tell me that looks good.

GT5 has the highest highs and lowest lows, while FM4 is somewhere between them with greater consistency. That seems to be the consensus.

Gestault

GT5 has the highest highs and lowest lows, while FM4 is somewhere between them with greater consistency. That seems to be the consensus.

I'd certainly agree with this overall. I just wish particular effects in GT5 didn't drag down the overall image quality so blatantly (dust and rain spatter making the car silhouettes look really blocky, shadows flickering and being blocky, etc). Still having framerate drops and screen tearing, even on smaller tracks like Suzuka West long after the latest patch kills me, because so much else about it is so fantastic.

jett

D-Member
This is GT5 raw. It swaps a lot of things. You cant even see the final result before the final rendering image.

6qLSgqa.jpg

VsLKCBl.jpg

This honestly looks like a generation behind the usual bullshot/photomode pictures. God I'm glad this generation is over. Honest, in bullshot mode, F4, FH and GT5 are all on a similar level. The average gamer would probably find them indistinguishable.

Gestault

Agreed. If you think GT5 doesn't look like garbage then you are a fanboy...

[re: my own out of context but still overstated quote]

Fundamental visual elements of GT5 look unacceptably bad, and undermine its merits in an actual game-play setting, compared to other modern racers.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
This is GT5 raw. It swaps a lot of things. You cant even see the final result before the final rendering image.

6qLSgqa.jpg

VsLKCBl.jpg

I thought GT5 didn't swap models?

Those interiors as so laughably low res. Looks about the same as Forzas but more colour in the textures and better ambient lighting. Someone should photo mode the lambo from the exact same angle and compare.

Top Bottom