• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5: Behind the scenes look (video) [Up: 1080p/60fps]

eso76

so, in the article turn10 confirms that not one or two, but all racing tracks in game will be laser scanned 8)

thats some great fucking news! AND a possible "making of" video soon? hehe hell yeah!

those who like to whine about the series having lost its racing sim seriousness will certainly like this, and the fact cars not up to standards have been redone.

G Rom

Our bodies are ready..

Oh yes, I can't wait to finally see new media and the new build !

And great news about the Nurbugring, fucking finally !
I'd really like to know how much time laser scanning save them in term of track production, like if it could mean track DLC every two or three month or if it allowed them to get all the tracks from the ALMS in the development timeframe for example.

p3tran

Banned
well i am as good at forza as you can be with a gamepad yes, i am better at PC sims and GT due to using a wheel, i look forward to playing forza 5 when i eventually get an xbox one.

this will actually be the first forza since 2 that i wont buy day one

since you play a lot of racing games, you get what the fuss is with forza5 and all.
I saw your comments about 80 pounds difference etc. today though microsoft will probably announce that they are also throwing in fifa for europe.
I think that sweetens the deal just a little bit more, and you should consider saving a pound/day just to make that 80p "barrier" go away.
I mean, 3 months ago, there where a hundred solid reasons for everyone to not get xbone/forza. we have come a long way from there. pity if you miss out.
(oh, and btw even if kinect be proven in the future to be total shit for games, I am sure that a couple of fantastic apps will popup in pc-space for it ;) )

Xanadu

Banned
since you play a lot of racing games, you get what the fuss is with forza5 and all.
I saw your comments about 80 pounds difference etc. today though microsoft will probably announce that they are also throwing in fifa for europe.
I think that sweetens the deal just a little bit more, and you should consider saving a pound/day just to make that 80p "barrier" go away.
I mean, 3 months ago, there where a hundred solid reasons for everyone to not get xbone/forza. we have come a long way from there. pity if you miss out.
(oh, and btw even if kinect be proven in the future to be total shit for games, I am sure that a couple of fantastic apps will popup in pc-space for it ;) )

i have no interest in fifa, and i will be purchasing a new graphics card at the end of the year for assetto corsa and hopefully some iracing too if i get a good deal. i would love to get forza 5 day one but i just cannot afford to spend that much right now. the only hope i have is if my brother buys it and i can steal it from him

Seanspeed

Banned
then get bro-mugging son!
(I'd tell you that the better time for pc gfx updates will be mid-14, but if you cant presently run assetto adequately, I understand :)
Get graphics card now.

Then upgrade in a couple year's time when there's an Oculus Rift consumer model out and support for it. Should be pretty mind-blowing.

p3tran

Banned
Please don't patronize me, man.

Perhaps you don't play Forza enough to understand why his comment was so ridiculous.

hahha
you know, there are actually a handful of people that manage equally good, but yeap, chances are most people lap better with joypads

ANYWAY, ITS ALMOST TIME FOR NEW FORZA STUFFS AND INFOS
PlanetHype.gif

Xanadu

Banned
hahha
you know, there are actually a handful of people that manage equally good, but yeap, chances are most people lap better with joypads

ANYWAY, ITS ALMOST TIME FOR NEW FORZA STUFFS AND INFOS
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090406144055/simpsons/images/1/10/PlanetHype.gif[/IMG[/QUOTE]

i am much better at racing sims with a wheel than pad, its what i am used to

to me its like using a gamepad for shooters rather than a mouse, i will always be better with a mouse

nib95

Banned
Please don't patronize me, man.

Perhaps you don't play Forza enough to understand why his comment was so ridiculous.

Are you suggesting there is parity in elite lap times between controller users and wheel users? That would seem....odd to me.

EDIT: I'm also a lot better with a wheel than I am with a pad. Talking only a second or two a lap etc, but in sim racing, even a hundredth of a second is all the difference.

Seanspeed

Banned
Are you suggesting there is parity in elite lap times between controller users and wheel users? That would seem....odd to me.

EDIT: I'm also a lot better with a wheel than I am with a pad. Talking only a second or two a lap etc, but in sim racing, even a hundredth of a second is all the difference.
Yea, in Forza, either method is equally viable. The top leaderboard times are divided between wheel and controller users alike. If he thinks he's as good as he can get with a pad, he is among the very fastest in the world, which I'm guessing isn't even a mile from the truth.

amar212

Are you suggesting there is parity in elite lap times between controller users and wheel users? That would seem....odd to me..

I am also saying that to be honest, despite Sean was objecting me.

However, I still stand firmly with my observaton how controllers are faster in the FM series, especially in no-assist and Simulation mode with 900-degree steering.

Same here for Standard physics, but with 900-degree steering there is no way on earth I could catch anyone after 3 laps in both FM3/FM4.

And on Simulation physics I can't come close to my pad times with the wheel and 900. No way.

nib95

Banned
I am also saying that to be honest, despite Sean was objecting me.

However, I still stand firmly with my observaton how controllers are faster in the FM series, especially in no-assist and Simulation mode with 900-degree steering.

Same here for Standard physics, but with 900-degree steering there is no way on earth I could catch anyone after 3 laps in both FM3/FM4.

And on Simulation physics I can't come close to my pad times with the wheel and 900. No way.

Well, that's a bit odd. That doesn't seem right to me since it's much harder to get nuanced delicate driving with a pad compared to a wheel. Obviously not all vehicles use the full turning degree (and some a lot more sensitive than others). Also, surely paddle shift is more useful than using controller buttons to shift?

Seanspeed

Banned
Well, that's a bit odd. That doesn't seem right to me since it's much harder to get nuanced delicate driving with a pad compared to a wheel. Obviously not all vehicles use the full turning degree (and some a lot more sensitive than others). Also, surely paddle shift is more useful than using controller buttons to shift?
Very clear who plays Forza here and who doesn't, no offense.

Turn 10 go out of their way to make using a controller a very viable way of playing the game. Its a large reason I enjoy the series so much, because you're not required to spend money on a decent wheel setup to be competitive. They use a bit of steering assist for extreme analog stick movements, so that if you jerk the stick over, it generally smooths out the action a bit, so its not precise 1:1 movement. Doesn't mean that you cant very easily over-correct or over-do your steering inputs into or through a corner, especially with simulation steering and no assists but it does have a bit of forgiveness to make it playable. Most racing games have this to a degree, Turn 10 just do it *very* well.

As for the buttons to shift, paddles or buttons, I don't see how it matters much. Paddles might feel more satisfying to click, but they're both performing the same functionality.

In general, a wheel user is going to find a more difficult learning curve, due to the 1:1 input, but the skill ceiling is the same for either. If controller was just inherently superior, you wouldn't see any users at the top of leaderboards using wheels, but that's not the case.

nib95

Banned

Turn 10 go out of their way to make using a controller a very viable way of playing the game. Its a large reason I enjoy the series so much, because you're not required to spend money on a decent wheel setup to be competitive. They use a bit of steering assist for extreme analog stick movements, so that if you jerk the stick over, it generally smooths out the action a bit, so its not precise 1:1 movement. Doesn't mean that you cant very easily over-correct or over-do your steering inputs into or through a corner, especially with simulation steering and no assists but it does have a bit of forgiveness to make it playable. Most racing games have this to a degree, Turn 10 just do it *very* well.

As for the buttons to shift, paddles or buttons, I don't see how it matters much. Paddles might feel more satisfying to click, but they're both performing the same functionality.

In general, a wheel user is going to find a more difficult learning curve, due to the 1:1 input, but the skill ceiling is the same for either. If controller was just inherently superior, you wouldn't see any users at the top of leaderboards using wheels, but that's not the case.

I use a wheel, so did not realise this. I never play online or anything either, in GT or Forza. So is it essentially like auto aim but for racing games? Can people who use gamepads turn these assists off?

Seanspeed

Banned
I use a wheel, so did not realise this. I never play online or anything either, in GT or Forza. So is it essentially like auto aim but for racing games? Can people who use gamepads turn these assists off?
Its a smoothing steering assist. I wouldn't equate it to 'auto aim' anymore than I'd consider traction control or antilock brakes like autoaim. Any game like Forza, including GT, would be unplayable with exact 1:1 inputs on a small little thumb analog stick without an insane amount of precision.

Xanadu

Banned

do you play any other sims? wheels are 10x better than gamepads for racing sims, sure forza is the best one pad wise but still its not close to proper PC simswith a wheel, assetto corsa for example is way ahead

G Rom

Announce Spa, screenshots later.
Classic Turn 10 ! :D

Great news though, we have the Spa of Spahurst, hopefully the second part will follow !

Seanspeed

Banned
do you play any other sims? wheels are 10x better than gamepads for racing sims, sure forza is the best one pad wise but still its not close to proper PC simswith a wheel, assetto corsa for example is way ahead
I don't remember this discussion being about which game is better with a wheel. I'm sure that's what you'd like to make it into, so you can have some sort of victory and get to do your usual bashing of Forza in your own little ways(by insinuating Forza isn't a sim), though.

Xanadu

Banned
I don't remember this discussion being about which game is better with a wheel. I'm sure that's what you'd like to make it into, so you can have some sort of victory and get to do your usual bashing of Forza in your own little ways(by insinuating Forza isn't a sim), though.

so thats a no? and i do think forza is a sim, but obviously compared to the big PC sims it falls far behind in physics

p3tran

Banned
Count me impressed with this because it is a real-time gathering of dirt and debris.

Impressive.
iirc, forza 2 also had this kind of effect (only not that pronounced), where lets say after a lap or two in the ring, car would gather dust and stuff.
it would piss me off when I wanted to take a nice pic mid-race and my car was dirty... :)

obviously compared to the big PC sims it falls far behind in physics
this is a big topic that we better not open here.

amar212

I still don't understand why this was removed from GT5. Remember the stealth pre-order video from gamespot?

From the same reason the procedural damage has been reduced, spectators and flags removed and bllom real-time effects downgraded.

256+256MB of RAM.

You can fight the fight only to some extent.

I'm still completely failing to see where any of this is relevant to what we were discussing.

Put him on ignore list, it will save your sanity. There is no point having discussion with him, all he does is troll and harp on how suck Forza is, yet continue to come into thread to talk about game he has no interest in playing.

Top Bottom