• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5: The Glorious Photomode Topic

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
well they still black out interiors :(

Just like offsets that is because T10 refuse to scrap that absolutely garbage engine they've been using since FM1.

They need to actually make a new engine, from scratch, for new hardware. Until then we won't get day/night, weather, offsets, non terribad LoD systems etc etc etc etc.

Hell, we still have that disgusting black blob that's been there since FM1....

Xanadu

Banned
Just like offsets that is because T10 refuse to scrap that absolutely garbage engine they've been using since FM1.

They need to actually make a new engine, from scratch, for new hardware. Until then we won't get day/night, weather, offsets, non terribad LoD systems etc etc etc etc.

Hell, we still have that disgusting black blob that's been there since FM1....

but that costs money!!!!!!!!11

and tbh i doubt they will even for forza 6..not enough people complain about those things, only no lifes like me :(

Looking nice so far. But we need more than just a few shots :p Come on. If I had it, there would be 100+ pictures in here by now.

Also, there is a clear quality difference between on-track and photomode location pics. Which is odd. I think it's the lighting.

Looking nice so far. But we need more than just a few shots :p Come on. If I had it, there would be 100+ pictures in here by now.

Also, there is a clear quality difference between on-track and photomode location pics. Which is odd. I think it's the lighting.

Don't think it's possible to upload them at the moment.

Have to wait until relaunch the FM site.

Xanadu

Banned
No, they don't actually. Now all AI cars have visible interiors, a simplified version of course, but a rather accurate one from what I've seen.

its not as black as previous games but yes the interiors are much darker than they should be to hide the low detail, in early builds the interior was much more visible

I can't wait for the day that there is actually as much detail in-game while racing as there is in the photo mode.

This has been an issue forever regardless of which major simulator franchise: Gran Turisimo or Forza.

I'm hoping at some point this gen they can rectify this.

coldfoot

Banned
and tbh i doubt they will even for forza 6..not enough people complain about those things, only no lifes like me :(

I bet enough people complain about weather and no night racing though, so that could happen.
Shots are nice, want to see more of that white F40.

Xanadu

Banned
heres a reminder of how abysmal the previous f40 model was, not the best angle but still

vs20.jpg

new

10990940834_51ec278d0e_b.jpg

i can now play forza with my favourite car without closing my eyes until i'm in cockpit view!

HeliosT10

I know some of you have asked about when you will be able to download your in-game screenshots from FM.net and I wanted to give you an update. We are currently in the process of relaunching the new ForzaMotorsport.net and we currently expect the site to be up at around 3 p.m. Pacific. At that time, the new Gallery will be available and you’ll be able to get to your photos. Thanks for your patience!

G Rom

The highest LOD is displayed in the homespace and at the beginning of the race, that's when you can the engine, spare wheel, etc behind grills.
I'm not sure but I think the LOD for gameplay and photo mode is the same, this is the one with black grills.
Then there's the AI LOD which I would say is around FM4's gameplay LOD for the player.

It's a shame they don't swap at least the player model with the Forzavista one for photos...

Xanadu

Banned
The highest LOD is displayed in the homespace and at the beginning of the race, that's when you can the engine, spare wheel, etc behind grills.
I'm not sure but I think the LOD for gameplay and photo mode is the same, this is the one with black grills.
Then there's the AI LOD which I would say is around FM4's gameplay LOD for the player.

It's a shame they don't swap at least the player model with the Forzavista one for photos...

do you think forza 4 photomode cars could have been used for forza 5? i do considering most autovista cars dont even have the engine/trunk modelled anyway..seems like a massive waste

Gestault

heres a reminder of how abysmal the previous f40 model was, not the best angle but still

vs20.jpg

new

10990940834_51ec278d0e_b.jpg

Hot damn. Did you say there were problems with the tailights in the newer model though? (I did a quick look between the game model and a photo and it looked good, but it was just a cursory comparison)

Xanadu

Banned
Hot damn. Did you say there were problems with the tailights in the newer model though? (I did a quick look between the game model and a photo and it looked good, but it was just a cursory comparison)

i still havent seen a proper picture of the rear end, from that SPA gameplay vid i assumed it was the old model but that was mainly off the incorrect proportions of the car, they can only fix that by starting from scratch which is obviously much more work

also someone needs to take a picture of the gen 1 nsx, it looks hugely improved also from what ive seen in vids

Gestault

i still havent seen a proper picture of the rear end, from that SPA gameplay vid i assumed it was the old model but that was mainly off the incorrect proportions of the car, they can only fix that by starting from scratch which is obviously much more work

Gotcha. I want to see how these ended up with some matched-up comparison shots once the upload feature is back up. We're to the point where the difference looking good and looking accurate should really be front and center, with the car selection being so trimmed down. So far I've been pleased, and I know more and more of these are based on actual vehicle scans.

i can now play forza with my favourite car without closing my eyes until i'm in cockpit view!

But the wheels are still wrong. Am I the only person who is bugged by this? Maybe I have OCD or for wheels or something, but it just bothers me.

For comparison sake. Here is how wrong they are:

3XH37sQ.jpg

Xanadu

Banned
Gotcha. I want to see how these ended up with some matched-up comparison shots once the upload feature is back up. We're to the point where the difference looking good and looking accurate should really be front and center, with the car selection being so trimmed down. So far I've been pleased, and I know more and more of these are based on actual vehicle scans.

yep, theres 2 cars ive seen which still look very off which are the R32 skyline which has had no chages to my eyes and the impreza 22b where it seems they have somewhat fixed the headlights but the rear end still has clown car proportions

But the wheels are still wrong. Am I the only person who is bugged by this? Maybe I have OCD or for wheels or something, but it just bothers me.

http://i.imgur.com/3XH37sQ.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

yea theres still quite a bit wrong with it, but its a HUGE improvement, better than nothing when it comes to t10! ive got to give them props for trying

G Rom

do you think forza 4 photomode cars could have been used for forza 5? i do considering most autovista cars dont even have the engine/trunk modelled anyway..seems like a massive waste

I think so and I'm pretty sure that's what we're seeing. I've always said that models that started to be built specifically for FM3 and beyond were amazingly detailed, they just needed (much) better shaders to showcase that and it's finally happening.
For example, they finally got rid of the ugly tail/headlights textures that many many cars had in previous FM and replaced those with real material shaders, which makes a world of difference.
Basically, they have hundreds of great car models that they now need to "paint" with correct material shaders.

I think that's why we have so few cars. While the modelling can be easily outsourced, the material stuff probably need to be kept in-house.

Edit : I have some NSX photos that are waiting for the FM.net relaunch to be shared !

Gestault

3XH37sQ.jpg

It seems like the view angle is different enough in the FM5 shot that it might explain part of that difference, or at least exaggerate an existing problem. My selection is a little sloppy, but you get a sense of the difference.

jcKKvxMRMdHBZ.png

Anyone with the game up to taking some precise reference photos?

It seems like the view angle is different enough in the FM5 shot that it might explain part of that difference, or at least exaggerate an existing problem

You can take a picture at any angle. They are still wrong. Turn 10 have just copy and pasted the front wheels onto the back again.

There must be some huge technical reason for it, because I'm sure they would correct it if they could. It's been complained about for the last three games.

Gestault

ah thanks, man there is so much wrong with this model i dont even know where to start, a shame considering how revered it is

Now if you look close, you can tell the real-world reference photo was shot with a longer lens from a greater distance (all the wheels appear to be the same size) than the Forza 5 shot, which is a shorter virtual lens from closer (so the difference in wheel-size is exaggerated), but I see underlying problems that it doesn't necessarily account for.

Gestault

You can take a picture at any angle. They are still wrong. Turn 10 have just copy and pasted the front wheels onto the back again.

There must be some huge technical reason for it, because I'm sure they would correct it if they could. It's been complained about for the last three games.

You...object to getting the same angles for a comparison? o_O

Xanadu

Banned
Now if you look close, you can tell the real-world reference photo was shot with a longer lens from a greater distance (all the wheels appear to be the same size) than the Forza 5 shot, which is a shorter virtual lens from closer (so the difference in wheel-size is exaggerated), but I see underlying problems that it doesn't necessarily account for.

i do think you exaggerate how much these angles change the image, but yes the wheels are big, and incorrect, but honestly thats the least of the problems, i feel sick looking at it loll

Gestault

i do think you exaggerate how much these angles change the image, but yes the wheels are big, and incorrect, but honestly thats the least of the problems, i feel sick looking at it loll

I'm not saying there aren't inaccuracies, but we know intuitively that those tires are the exact same size on the model, but based on that image, you would say they are not. I'm just saying take that into account.

Gestault

Same angle and same lighting as well that dark room is horrible comparison.

I agree as well. I threw that up just as a closer-to-useful comparison than the incompetently arranged comparison Farrow posted. It's just insane to me that even suggesting getting matching angles and lighting is objectionable to him, considering how in photo mode that would be such an easy thing to get. Particularly in a game that just released today. Someone confident in a criticism and going out of their way to try to highlight it sure wouldn't be demanding less evidence of it.

Edit: Wait Farrow, you were talking about the lack of the inset rear-wheel alloy? Yeah, I absolutely see that.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Came in to see nice pictures, all I see is pointless bitching. Can't you guys bitch in the OT?

incompetently arranged comparison Farrow posted.

But the error is so big that you can look at it from lots of angles and still see it lol. It's right there in your face, as clear as day in my comparison. It is not a small difference that requires pinpoint viewing angle accuracy.

I feel like I'm dreaming or something :/ Can anyone else confirm that they could see the wrong wheels in my "Incompetent" comparison?

Gestault

But the error is so big that you can look at it from lots of angles and still see it lol. It's right there in your face, as clear as day in my comparison. It is not a small difference that requires pinpoint viewing angle accuracy.

I feel like I'm dreaming or something :/ Can anyone else confirm that they could see the wrong wheels in my "Incompetent" comparison?

If you're talking about the lack of inset rear-wheel allow, I totally see it. That wasn't highlighted in your original pic the way I would have, and you just kept saying "wheel." I (think) I understand you now.

Makki

Can anyone else confirm that they could see the wrong wheels in my "Incompetent" comparison?

The bad offsets have forever plagued the series. Im happy they fixed most of the inaccuracies but those rear wheels really are an eyesore to the ferrari enthusiast.

The bad offsets have forever plagued the series. Im happy they fixed most of the inaccuracies but those rear wheels really are an eyesore to the ferrari enthusiast.

Okay, thanks :) I thought I was going crazy and seeing things for a moment there.

pop_tarts

Ferrari%20F40%20-%20One%20Of%20The%20Most%20Beautiful%20Modern%20Ferraris_3.jpg

They still messed up on the rim's depth but this is as close of an angle as I could fine just on the opposite angle =/

Top Bottom