• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5: The monetization is even worse than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0neshank

Banned
Reading reports like this really make me hate the current state of gaming. Part of me is glad I finally said goodbye to Microsoft because shit like this is inexcusable in my opinion. I also worry that this will start to become more of the norm and that Sony will jump into this shit storm right along side them.

Chitown B

you can also not buy cars. And you can gain CR to buy cars for free. It seems like people are upset they may actually have the play the game in order to save up to buy cars.

Because, like most of the gaming press, they don't give a shit about these things as long as they get their toys on time and free to post a review before everyone else.

I'm so sick of this mentality. It's almost worse than the reviewers not mentioning important issues such as this in their reviews.

Grow up people.

joesiv

The worst part is that you're playing all these endless hours on the same 14 tracks.

Don't worry, they just haven't announced the pricing for DLC tracks ;)

If you thought 6million for a car was a lot... you know that tracks cost even more to build than cars! But the value, the value, owning your own track! Prepare your wallets!

ironcreed

Banned
Let's see how you feel when you're 100 hours deep and only have half the cars unlocked and have already raced every track 1,000 times over.

This.

Sure, I imagine the game feels awesome for awhile. Credits and some pretty neat cars probably seem to come easy for a good few hours. But if I wanted some of the top of the line cars, I think the game would more than wear out it's welcome by the time I attained even one. 30-50 hours of racing on the same 14 tracks for one premium car? Just hell no. Most people who play the game will never even come close to doing that and they know this full well.

Simply put, this design puts the best content in a $60 game behind a ridiculously high wall that you can either gruelingly climb for a gross amount of hours... or give in and pay more ( at disgusting prices) to access what you already bought. It's designed this way on purpose and that is the sole reason the microtransactions are there in the first place. Taking a look at any free to play game is all the evidence you need, but at least there it is justified. Because it is, you know, free to play.

Some people will defend anything. This is why we can't have nice things, and the reason these companies treat their fans like suckers. Because they often are.

Are you kidding? Dead Space alone changed the entire franchise's weapon system to be part-based so that they could monetize it.

Yet again

Either way, there are many examples of franchises that already had an element of grind before they sold shortcuts and after they started selling shortcuts the experience remained largely unchanged.

You don't have to purchase anything with your real money to beat Dead Space 3. You only spend a bit of time with those bots and side missions/rooms, and you get alot of stuff. In all honesty I recieved the parts for my final build little after halfway mark. I only swapped for better frames if I found them (rare) and it was just about adding damage modifiers.

Again, it is an example of how it was changed to include microtransactions and you didn't need to buy them. Same as the other titles I mentioned. I did not purchase any shortcuts for those. Beat ACIV last night. Not a cent was spent on shortcuts or extra's.

Eoin

Does the amount of credits per race go up at all? I'm getting 6k-8k per race atm. Going to take me forever to afford a good car :-(
. That's 1000 races just for the lotus.

Joke post? Replaying the same track over and over to credit farm for 100s of hours is getting your money's worth? My sarcasm meter might be busted.

Yeah, with guys like this on the previous page:

I don't really get why people are bitching about this. 454 hours of content for only $60 is a bad thing? Seriously!? It costs like $15 to go see a two hour movie.

I'm not [serious].

This is fucking disgusting and no one should support any piece of shit company that tries to fuck their paying customers so long and hard.

it's getting hard to tell.

I don't think it's possible to satirise. There are people out there who actually believe this.

Shengar

People like to cry over dumb stuff. Love the game, already have 20 hours in.
Yeah, as long as I love it there isn't bad thing could happened right? Just let those stupid peasants cry over 'dumb' because they don't actually dumbed themself down with fun, enjoyment and love.

People criticize that reviewer are obtuse people because they blindly praising what should be there. Overlooking atal flaw because they having fun. And people said that reviewers aint for gamer. But here people, ws've shown that reviewers exactly represent the gamers: as long as I'm having, there' nothing could.go wrong, ever.

Chitown B

from Kotaku, Spencer:

Send a message with what you buy

One striking element of the Xbox One's launch line-up so far is that most of the games offer some way to pay real money to buy extra items or get more chances to get cool new stuff. There's been some uproar over this, though the strategies used from game to game vary so much—from paying for characters to bolster the "free" Killer Instinct to paying for better cars in Forza 5 to having completely ignorable micropayment options in Ryse—that it seems like Microsoft doesn't have a fixed strategy for adding microtransactions to their games. That'd be correct. "We're still learning," Spencer said.

And if fans don't like a micropayment? Don't buy it. Spencer said that he's making sure that all of the Xbox One game include feedback mechanisms that allow Microsoft to closely track what gamers buy. "I want to be able to learn from what we put in," he said. "So let's make sure we are crafting the game and the analytics so we can see what the consumers—the gamers—like and don't—if you assume buying habits are a reflection of what people like. So that we can craft the experience better for the gamer."

Maybe it's not the end of the world if there are microtransactions in a single-player game, just as long as it's easy enough to progress in the game without paying extra. Microstansactions in multiplayer games can tip game balance, if you can buy things that make one player more capable than another.

Spencer is aware of a need to have some limits, but doesn't yet draw many lines. "It's easy to say something like, 'I'll never allow somebody to buy the win of the game, I won't let them buy victory,' but that's kind of a trite answer. I'd say, 'Yeah, I guess I have that line, that [we wouldn't have] "Pay five bucks and get 1000 achievements" or something stupid like that.' I'm always pushing against that. But, in reality, that's not what the gamers are looking for. They're usually looking for customization and their gameplay style opening up."

People like to cry over dumb stuff. Love the game, already have 20 hours in.

And the answer to why there is always someone to defend every terrible thing is right here.

"I like it, therefore there can't be anything wrong with it and anyone who thinks otherwise is just a crying little bitch."

coldfoot

Banned
The issue with this is, for XBone owners, that really limits their current game options to pretty much only Dead Rising 3.
Ignore FUT mode on Fifa, which is completely unnecessary to enjoy the game, and you can pick any team you want, online or offline. If EA followed the Forza model, you'd need to spend $100 to play as Barcelona.

shaowebb

Over $100 for a single in game car? Geez by the time you get them all you literally could have bought a real car. Forget that.

Kinyou

Ignore FUT mode on Fifa, which is completely unnecessary to enjoy the game, and you can pick any team you want, online or offline. If EA followed the Forza model, you'd need to spend $100 to play as Barcelona.
He's saying to not buy games that have microtransactions at all. Which IMO is the wrong approach. Don't buy games that force you through grinds etc. to buy extra 'tokens'

"Spencer is aware of a need to have some limits, but doesn't yet draw many lines. "It's easy to say something like, 'I'll never allow somebody to buy the win of the game, I won't let them buy victory,' but that's kind of a trite answer. I'd say, 'Yeah, I guess I have that line, that [we wouldn't have] "Pay five bucks and get 1000 achievements" or something stupid like that.' I'm always pushing against that. But, in reality, that's not what the gamers are looking for. They're usually looking for customization and their gameplay style opening up."

Who the fuck is pushing for that??

AzerPhire

I get that the pricing is a bit much but how is this different from 90% of the games out there?

To unlock the best items whether it is a new car, a gun in CoD or BF, or weapons/armor in WoW you have to put a crazy amount of time in.

Micro transactions give players the choice of whether they want to play 100 hours for that item or have it now at a cost. Again pricing aside I see no issue with this.

I just read the OP and honestly cannot believe what I have just read. If someone told me about this 5 years ago I would have laughed in their face.

Something has to be done about shit like this. Shame on Turn 10.

from Kotaku, Spencer:

Spencer is aware of a need to have some limits, but doesn't yet draw many lines. "It's easy to say something like, 'I'll never allow somebody to buy the win of the game, I won't let them buy victory,' but that's kind of a trite answer. I'd say, 'Yeah, I guess I have that line, that [we wouldn't have] "Pay five bucks and get 1000 achievements" or something stupid like that.' I'm always pushing against that. But, in reality, that's not what the gamers are looking for. They're usually looking for customization and their gameplay style opening up."
This doesn't sound promising at all. They're either completely oblivious or else they think we are.

bigbluesd

Neo Member
Are the prices right in the OP?

Fuckin'-A people, can I get a strait answer?

Already filed, thanks GAF (not sure if that's supposed to be sarcastic or not).
If the prices are false advertising (best value // reccomended = highest tokens per dollar amount) then people in the US can contact:
FTC 1877 832 4357
A local Consumer Protection divsion (possibly found in A.G. office)
Internet Criminal Complaint Center (recommended by the Better business Bureau)

I'm the one that took that screenshot of the token prices and posted it over at FM.net originally. I was browsing Smart Glass videos from pre-release users on my phone and came across that screen in one of them. I posted it on FM.net, the thread was locked within a few hours and a day or two later T10 referenced the post and said that the prices were incorrect. So to answer your question, no, they have been changed (although I don't know to what prices).

I'm the one that took that screenshot of the token prices and posted it over at FM.net originally. I was browsing Smart Glass videos from pre-release users on my phone and came across that screen in one of them. I posted it on FM.net, the thread was locked within a few hours and a day or two later T10 referenced the post and said that the prices were incorrect. So to answer your question, no, they have been changed (although I don't know to what prices).

Thank you very much.

Its been a crappy day but somehow this at least brings some sense to to my being a 'partial' fuckup.

Chitown B

Except for the playlists that were DLC restricted, which after a while was almost all of them.

By that time, most maps were either free (Cold Storage, Heroic) or had sales. Unless you're talking about the DLC specific playlists, which obv you needed the DLC.

Usually if you didn't have it, it just would skip those maps for the party.

They don't care. A few outlets mentioned it and I am glad they did but the ones giving them 9's and 10's (yes 10/10) did not glance over it at all. I'm not kidding when I say sometimes games journalism can be a joke.

Only sometimes?

Let's err on the side of accuracy and change that to, "I'm not kidding when I say most times games journalism can be a joke."

By that time, most maps were either free (Cold Storage, Heroic) or had sales. Unless you're talking about the DLC specific playlists, which obv you needed the DLC.

Usually if you didn't have it, it just would skip those maps for the party.
You got me here as I had no idea that any of the maps became free for Halo 3.

I got into the multiplayer pretty late (a year out, maybe a little later) when my brother eventually bought an Xbox and Halo 3. What we saw when we partied up and hopped online were 7 or 8 playlist hoppers, all but 2 of which we were locked out of. That stung.

Chitown B

You got me here as I had no idea that any of the maps became free for Halo 3.

I got into the multiplayer pretty late (a year out, maybe a little later) when my brother eventually bought an Xbox and Halo 3. What we saw when we partied up and hopped online were 7 or 8 playlist hoppers, all but 2 of which we were locked out of. That stung.

feels bad man....

anyway, back to Forza. Can't wait until I get home.

shandy706

I've had no problem making money to buy cars/upgrades. According to my stats I have 55 minutes and 58 seconds in the game. 11 minutes of that in tuning or decal painting/design, so only 44 minutes of racing :(.

I've already spent/managed to get around $200,000 (maybe more..don't know how much I've spent on upgrades). After 2 cars and some upgrades I still have over $125k to spend.

I suppose I'll also get money from my decal designs, and my AI had earned me over $12k when I last logged in..that surprised me. I play with the difficulty up and with a number of things on/off...like full damage simulation on. Things like that help up the cash flow. I've always had no problem placing 1st in 99% of the racing games I play. At the difficulty I'm playing Forza 5...I'm lucky to manage a top 3 finish. The races can be intense/very difficult with the AI cranked.

Can't wait to play tonight...if the MNF game isn't entertaining that is.

I don't like the stupid token stuff, but it is in no way ruining or distracting me from the game...not at all. I'll never buy a single token....so there is that. Great game otherwise.

... as if it's nothing to be upset over.

I hope no-one actually gets upset over a video game. I do think we should refuse to buy the tokens though...and be very verbal about not wanting this type model in games. I don't mind having to work hard for cars, I'm not a baby, but I also don't want the model effecting game design.

Chitown B

I've only played SP. I tried to get into MP last night and the party never got full. Got to like 6 players then it tried to start, then failed because people left. Then everyone left.

I don't like the MP menu. It's confusing - I don't want "challenge calendars" - just give me game type options and their population numbers. It doesn't even look like lobbies.

Epcott

Currently listening to the recent Game Informer Show podcast. It's funny how nonchalant they are about the Forza monetization issue... as if it's nothing to be upset over.

Prior to that I listened to the latest Doddcast where they mention journalists with agendas. Its like they were prepping me for GI shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom