• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5: The monetization is even worse than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevil

The issue with this is, for XBone owners, that really limits their current game options to pretty much only Dead Rising 3.

they should return the X1 get an PS4, wii u or wait for an steambox. exactly because you are unable to get a game with out micro transactions is the reason you should boycott it. The only way they stop, they will do an 180 again and say they are so cool for listening to the gamers.

There is a marketplace coming soon, and its very possible that their tuning of the payouts in game was mispreportioned to their desired curve of credit gathering.

As it stands now my driveatar is making me around 130k a week for me doing nothing. As a newcomer to the series and Sims, I have around 800k banked by doing very poorly on most career events. If I go try and get gold in the four career series I've done, I'd imagine I'd be at 1.3 or so million credits. At the lowest of the low career modes too. I haven't dabbled in the rivals, but that seems like the money maker for grinding.

I wouldn't just rely on the driveatar to make you money. To unlock all the cars it's going to cost you 104,501,000 CR.

So while 130k a week for nothing sounds good, it'd take you 803 weeks to save up that much. That's over 15 years.

Steroyd

Its a racing game......we expect this when buying it. Dont get how ppl complain about this in a racer. Do you expect 50000 tracks or something? The real test is setting the best time on a track, thats the fun.

Turn 10 set the bar with Forza 4, one of these many problems is that F5 has half the cars, half the tracks, gutted out community features that people liked and the compensation is "fuck you pay me more money" We already had a generation where sequels had a disappointing amount of content in the game compared to their predecessors, FFXII > FFXIII and GTA:SA > GTA IV and they got called out for it, adding microtransactions to make up for worse progression ontop of that is insane.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Over two thousand dollars to have a complete roster in free play mode. Are you shitting me?

I was REALLY considering jumping in this gen with consoles, but holy hell this has completely turned me off. I'll definitely be watching other games and if this trend continues, I'm not even entering this generation. It was bad enough when I heard Sony was charging for Multiplayer, but this is the straw that broke my back.

Ugh even after all the fucking 180s MS did for this XBOne launch it still seems like exploitation of their consumer base was a very high priority.

boeso

Does GAF do petitions and that sort of thing? I'd sign an anti Micro Transactions one in a heart beat. It doesn't really affect the 'gamer' though, it affects the parents/casuals I guess. Doesn't make it right though and its literally daylight robbery.

The way Phil Spencer says "you don't have to buy them". Bollocks to that, Phil. They are taking advantage big time.

Morzak

It already was questionable in Forza 4, but at least you got Cars every now and then for progress and all cars where available in the Quickrace/Hotlap mode. I also lucked out on Forza 4 thanks to money glitch. Oh and will there be a marketplace for Cars like in 4? you really could get some cars on the cheap on the market.

Overall this practice is despicable and should not be tollerated I think Forza 5 just shows that micro transactions has an impact on how a game is designed and how progression works.

I wouldn't just rely on the driveatar to make you money. To unlock all the cars it's going to cost you 104,501,000 CR.

So while 130k a week for nothing sounds good, it'd take you 803 weeks to save up that much. That's over 15 years.

I'm not defending their practices but here again I think there is an over estimation that could be unduly fair to the actual game dynamics. The drivatar shouldn't just earn money in the background so that, from day one, unlocking the game is a matter of just waiting and not playing the game. That seems as bad as letting people pay to unlock everything. The drivatar does earn more credits as one advances with the game, right? The drivatar gets better as you get more stuff and better tuned? Its only one means to earn credits and its a passive system and this time frame sits well with the projected life of the console.

If hunting whales is now a thing, a sort of serious game, then sharpen your harpoons and turn up that side-sweeping sonar because this motherfuckering microtransaction abuse is going to need to get beached, and then there impaled by the masses. Talking about how long someone has to [not] play does not seem a valid criticism, to me.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not defending their practices but here again I think there is an over estimation that could be unduly fair to the actual game dynamics. The drivatar shouldn't just earn money in the background so that, from day one, unlocking the game is a matter of just waiting and not playing the game.

If unlocking all the content (without in-app purchases) in the game takes a massive 1+ years(or even 1 month in some cases) without there being any content in the game which keeps players occupied or enjoyable till that duration, it is just a chore or an artificial barrier keeping you from completing the game.

The very first intent a player has when he boots up a game is, to get that <thing> at spot/rank/location no.1 in the game..against the AI/Environment. To get a sense of achievement, either casually or by light* grinding.

Not to mention to showcase such an achievement either passionately or as a bot for that spot/rank/location no.1 in the game over or against other players in the community to show the time spent/dedication they put into their own sort of unofficial competitive environment.

The way micro transaction is implemented in the game, is just not right nor enjoyable.

Edit: And its a launch title for console(which doesn't have many launch titles).

Edit 2: Players chose how they want to unlock the game, over a long period of time or in a very short duration. Developers forcing players to unlock the game over a long period of time, is giving less freedom to the players. (Aka. Buy freedom with bling $$$.$$)

G17

Crippling Free Play and the ability to choose any car for multiplayer is the saddest part about the changes to support microtransactions. Both features I've used tonnes in Forza 3/4. The community marketplace also has gotten crippled due to microtransactions sadly.

A bit sad that this is what the Forza series has come to. Microtransactions crippling traditional forza multiplayer/freeplay, multiple season passes, la ferrari as day one dlc.

I'm not defending their practices but here again I think there is an over estimation that could be unduly fair to the actual game dynamics. The drivatar shouldn't just earn money in the background so that, from day one, unlocking the game is a matter of just waiting and not playing the game. That seems as bad as letting people pay to unlock everything. The drivatar does earn more credits as one advances with the game, right? The drivatar gets better as you get more stuff and better tuned? Its only one means to earn credits and its a passive system and this time frame sits well with the projected life of the console.

If hunting whales is now a thing, a sort of serious game, then sharpen your harpoons and turn up that side-sweeping sonar because this motherfuckering microtransaction abuse is going to need to get beached, and then there impaled by the masses. Talking about how long someone has to [not] play does not seem a valid criticism, to me.

My point was, while 130k a week for doing nothing may sound good, it's such a drop in the ocean that it might as well not be there.

Again, this is like something from a f2p model. Provide a system where you get a free bag of gold/cash/smurfberries/etc every day and people will feel like they're getting free stuff in the game.

Then set prices so high that the only way to unlock stuff in a reasonable time is to pay real money. The free daily in-game currency is just a hook to keep people playing.

Tekku

I so hate it when you have to do mindless grind to be able to unlock the better cars. Would be much better if they had a challenge system that made you unlock them. I mean the money is just a simple representation of you doing a lot of races. It's not like real life where you have a job, do savings, sell furnutiure, win the lottery and whatever. In the game you can only gain money by doing races. So with the focus on that they should make it more interesting to race for your super cars.

Chitown B

no, I've gotten around 100K a day playing a couple hours a night. You can get 5-7K for a gold medal, easy. so about 800 days (not weeks) if you want them all for free. Which gives the game about a 2.5 year life. That's about right.

no, I've gotten around 100K a day playing a couple hours a night. You can get 5-7K for a gold medal, easy. so about 800 days (not weeks) if you want them all for free. Which gives the game about a 2.5 year life. That's about right.

Yeah, playing. I was talking about letting the drivatar earn money. Did you read my post?

And sure, you're going to play this game for a couple of hours every day - EVERY DAY - for the next two and a half years. Of course.

Autumn turns to Winter turns to Spring. Day in, day out, you'll still putting in those two hours every single day, driving round the same 14 tracks. And two and a half years later, you'll finally be able to play all the cars from the game (and the ones you paid extra for) in Free Mode. And it won't cost you a penny.

While the microtransactions are bad let&#8216;s be reasonable...unlocking all cars isn&#8216;t even a thing.

Not for free it's not. And yet there's still people on here pretending that charging for the cars isn't a big deal because "you can unlock them for free".

Edit: Damn doublepost

While the microtransactions are bad let‘s be reasonable...unlocking all cars isn‘t even a thing.
Traditionally it probably hasn't since Gran Turismo 2 at least. Doesn't feel like that much of an issue when there's 600+ cars. But it taking ages to get access to all the cars has always been a stupid thing with these games. Imagine the original intent is to make cars representative of how rare and unobtainable they are in real life, with the goal of making them feel like proper rewards for the work you've put in. But these are videogames. You should be encouraging players to have fun, not work.

Anyone done the numbers on previous Forza's yet? I'd be willing to wager cars are harder to come by in Forza 5. Would be cool to get the difference quantified.

ElNino

I haven't got the game yet (should be delivered today), but has there been any info on how VIP gift cars will work this time around? In Forza 3 the VIP gifts were great and I ended up getting a ton of good cars from it, but Forza 4 was less so if I recall.

On the concerns about how long it would take to buy every car in the game, I don't really think that is a fair metric. Yes, some people will want to own every car in the game but in sim racing games with hundreds of cars I don't think it is reasonable to expect to be able to own them all without grinding for a long period of time. That being said, the token prices seem really out of whack this time around.

w00zey

I remember unlocking pretty much everything in FM1 and PGR3. It happens if you like the game and if it happens as part of the career mode.

I liked both of those games and put a ton of time into them and still never came close to unlocking everything. Maybe I just play differently. I unlock a car in a ceratin classification and if i don't like it I buy another one. I don't remember in any GT / Forza / PGR game unlocking every car in every class. Hell in GT I wasn't going to waste the money I accumulated on 32 versions of nissan skyline.

That said it is kind of a bummer that winning a whole series doesn't get you a car.

SmokyDave

Didn't you have to grind like crazy to get that final car in GT prologue or something like that?
It was a grind, but it wasn't too crazy IIRC. A few hours perhaps.

GT PSP, now that was a grind. The fucking rotating dealerships made collecting all 850+ cars a nightmare. I still did it though.

I'm just curious but who here actually unlocks every single car in these types of games?
Car enthusiasts and achievement hunters mostly, I'd imagine.

I haven't got the game yet (should be delivered today), but has there been any info on how VIP gift cars will work this time around? In Forza 3 the VIP gifts were great and I ended up getting a ton of good cars from it, but Forza 4 was less so if I recall.

On the concerns about how long it would take to buy every car in the game, I don't really think that is a fair metric. Yes, some people will want to own every car in the game but in sim racing games with hundreds of cars I don't think it is reasonable to expect to be able to own them all without grinding for a long period of time. That being said, the token prices seem really out of whack this time around.
I think that when you finish the last event in the 'career' mode, all remaining cars should unlock. It's content that you paid for, you should be able to access it in a reasonable manner. Maybe hold one car back for 'All Gold Medals!' or something like that.

w00zey

I think that when you finish the last event in the 'career' mode, all remaining cars should unlock. It's content that you paid for, you should be able to access it in a reasonable manner. Maybe hold one car back for 'All Gold Medals!' or something like that.

This is totally reasonable.

ElNino

I'm not saying this isn't a good idea, and this is pretty much how the PGR games worked, but I just don't see the Forza/GT type games going down this path for better or for worse.
Worse

Unlockables are nothing new to videogames, but I'd prefer it if they were at least based on skill rather than grind. I had to work like a mofo to unlock The Kid in Super Meat Boy, but it was just two rock hard levels. If you were good you could do it in 5 minutes; it took me all day.

I would never moan about not being able to play as The Kid from the beginning. But if they changed it so that you unlocked The Kid after simply playing for 200 hours, then had a thing pop-up after ever level saying "Unlock The Kid, only $2.99!". Yeah. That would fucking suck.

My point was, while 130k a week for doing nothing may sound good, it's such a drop in the ocean that it might as well not be there.

Again, this is like something from a f2p model. Provide a system where you get a free bag of gold/cash/smurfberries/etc every day and people will feel like they're getting free stuff in the game.

Then set prices so high that the only way to unlock stuff in a reasonable time is to pay real money. The free daily in-game currency is just a hook to keep people playing.

yeah. I just see all this and feel there is nothing I can do about it.
I'm crazier than captain ahab.

Cyberia

Good to see more European media outlets mentioning the awful micro transactions in their reviews.

Forza Motorsport 5 is a great game, but it comes with some quite significant problems. It has fewer tracks and cars than its predecessor, prices have been hitched up several notches on its in-game cars and the excellent, ever-building, system of rewards has disappeared. Multiplayer is a little anaemic and Free Play mode has been pared back too.

What&#8217;s Bad:
The career structure feels barely good enough.
No more prize cars or rewards.
Lots of content cut, lots of content for sale.
No auction house for livery, tuning setups or cars.
The music is a bit weird &#8211; all choirs and orchestras.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/11/26/forza-motorsport-5-review/

LevelNth

Banned
Microsoft: "Here's your Forza copies to review and some free Xbones to do it on! Don't sweat how much content we cut out or the absurd microtransactions we've added, they don't even need to be mentioned!"

Enthusiastic 'press': "OMG thanks so much we are so happy to be involved in this industry and be viewed as important and part of the club and get to go to parties and trade shows and get stuff for freeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Microsoft: "Yeah cool, now shut up PR puppet. Don't mention the god damned microtransactions or cut content alright, or you can kiss your memberships to the cool boy's club of this industry good bye!"

Enthusiastic 'press': "OH NEVER! We wouldn't dream of it! We're really just talentless nerds who cater mostly to a hardcore segment of gamers and do everything in our power to flaunt our exclusivity to the industry geeks boys' club and thus faux superiority over said hardcore geeks so as to pretend we are actually important to the industry, and not just shameless PR shills who are even worse than regular PR shills because WE PRETEND WE AREN'T SHAMELESS PR SHILLS!"

Microsoft: "Jesus crap shut the hell up. Ok Sony, give them their damn PS4's and let's get lunch, I'm starving."

Nintendo: "Hey guys want to play the new Zelda?"

Enthusiastic 'press': 10 OUT OF 10! *dies

Chitown B

Yeah, playing. I was talking about letting the drivatar earn money. Did you read my post?

And sure, you're going to play this game for a couple of hours every day - EVERY DAY - for the next two and a half years. Of course.

Autumn turns to Winter turns to Spring. Day in, day out, you'll still putting in those two hours every single day, driving round the same 14 tracks. And two and a half years later, you'll finally be able to play all the cars from the game (and the ones you paid extra for) in Free Mode. And it won't cost you a penny.

Like I said, I played Halo 3 for 3 years straight, probably 3-4 hours a night.

If you don't, you don't. And if you don't, you didn't care anyway. You're complaining about wanting to drive cars. You can drive cars. If you don't want to play the game, then it's moot anyway. It's circular.

Plus, you were never going to JUST have the Drivatar play.

Like I said, I played Halo 3 for 3 years straight, probably 3-4 hours a night.

If you don't, you don't. And if you don't, you didn't care anyway. You're complaining about wanting to drive cars. You can drive cars. If you don't want to play the game, then it's moot anyway. It's circular.

Plus, you were never going to JUST have the Drivatar play.

That's not at all what I'm complaining about. Jeez, this is like talking to a brick wall.

My complaint is that "but you can unlock them for free" is not a reasonable reply to people's concerns over microtransactions affecting the overall game design. It takes so long that for most people (not you), that time commitment is impossibly large. So most people (again, not you) can't unlock them for free.

I thought I explained this reasonably well in this earlier post. I get it, honestly I do. You're just going to play the game and you enjoy it. That's fine, I've really got nothing to say to that.

Didn't you have to grind like crazy to get that final car in GT prologue or something like that?
Yeah, the Ferrari F2007 and it cost the maximum amount of credits. It wasn't a matter of months to get, though. Please don't hold me to this, but I vaguely remember only spending a few days working toward it. 10-15 hours at maximum is what I'll say. If anyone has a better recollection please correct me, but I personally can't recall there ever being any level of frustration in working toward it.

It was also worth every single minute of that grinding once you got to drive it! Point being, even if it were 10x as long as my 10 hours vague memoryguesstimate that's still not as bad as the Forza stuff. This was entirely obtainable with a bit of dedication.

Mononoke

Banned
So let me ask you guys this. Is it possible to play the game, and unlock most of the cars without paying micro-transactions? Or is the majority of the cars SO expensive (even in game), that you can only have them via real money?

I guess I just want to know how significant it is. I despise micro-transactions, but for me, it's when they actually impeded on the game design itself that I won't pay for it. Can you play this game, and enjoy it and be able to unlock most things, or is it really THAT bad?

For "just play the game" people, if you add up the total CR cost of all the cars in the game (from here), it comes to 104,501,000CR.

Both Grassy and transformer on this page give a rate of 230k CR/hour. That works out at 454 hours.
My God that's an insanely loooong time.
Just to add, with Seasonal Events in GT5 it's pretty easy to make 1 milliom credits an hour, more if you're good at the game. Most races gift around 300,000 for a win and a race takes around 8 mins or so. As long as something like this is in GT6 I'll be happy.
As for Forza 5, is there Marketplace working yet? Last I looked on a friends Xbone it wasn't, so I could'nt check the cost of the Tokens.

Chitown B

So let me ask you guys this. Is it possible to play the game, and unlock most of the cars without paying micro-transactions? Or is the majority of the cars SO expensive (even in game), that you can only have them via real money?

I guess I just want to know how significant it is. I despise micro-transactions, but for me, it's when they actually impeded on the game design itself that I won't pay for it. Can you play this game, and enjoy it and be able to unlock most things, or is it really THAT bad?

you can buy all cars by just playing the game. But it'll take a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom