• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5: The monetization is even worse than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chitown B

Currently listening to the recent Game Informer Show podcast. It's funny how nonchalant they are about the Forza monetization issue... as if it's nothing to be upset over.

Prior to that I listened to the latest Doddcast where they mention journalists with agendas. Its like they were prepping me for GI shenanigans.

I don't care about it. But this is my first Forza game. I don't need 100% of the cars. I'll get what I can afford with credits, and have fun.

I don't care about it. But this is my first Forza game. I don't need 100% of the cars. I'll get what I can afford with credits, and have fun.

Neat. But do you at least understand why other people care about it?

Cross-posting from the Avalanche thread:

Exactly, it's shameless. I know some people are saying "Hey, I'm loving Forza 5. That token stuff doesn't affect my experience. I won't buy them". That's great, and for some people I'm sure it is about the journey rather than the destination, and they genuinely aren't fussed about unlocking everything.

But the game most likely has been designed with them in mind. They're hoping to catch a whale, one that keeps playing and playing, until they reach a point, maybe 100 hours in, 150 hours in, maybe 200 hours in, whenever, where they still haven't unlocked all the cars. And they look over at the token price and think, "Hmm, I've spent so much time on this game now. I want to finish it, but it's just going to take me too long to get enough credits by racing." And they pull the trigger and buy the rest of the cars. Big money for the pub / dev.

Now they've got a pretty clear motive to tweak certain parameters during the creation of the game to maximise the likelihood of that above scenario happening. Increasing the price of vehicles, reducing the number of credits earned per race, etc. You end up with a different game, one where it's not possible to unlock everything in a reasonable amount of time. And it's insidious, because it preys on the compulsive 'completionist' mindset, and there are plenty with that mindset in gaming. It's the exact reason why f2p took off, and now they've somehow found a way to make people buy f2p games. Astonishing.

REV 09

Forza 5 is a great playing game, but this monetization crap is terrible. I don't know if I'll ever get to drive half the cars. : /

The word is getting out. Seeing this thread referred to in several articles, forums and blogs, reddit, etc now.

I wonder if any of this attention is influencing discussions around the soon to come maps like the Nurburgring, or if all of that has already been laid out far in advance and set in stone.

MS has to at least know they've pissed off some of their core audience big time. When TeamVVV calls the game out, you'd imagine MS would take notice.

Edit: And this might help explain why we're seeing more mobiel free-to-play elements in console games:

isFApT76mPn0L.png
According to this (courtesy of EEDAR and Kotaku), whales spend most of their time gaming on consoles.

Now, how many whales do you think MS needs to justify these monetization practices? If they're willing and able to spend thousands...

The funny thing about this thread is that most of you complaining don't even own the game or have even played it. That is clear by many of the nonsensical comments being put forth. I agree that micro transactions are not a good thing, but this game is fantastic despite that. If you all want to take a stand against microtransactions, then don't buy them. You need not boycott the game, that is not the problem. I recall a similar situation with online passes that eventually went away due to a lack of consumers supporting/purchasing them. Bottom line, if sales are poor on microtransactions then they will go away.

dookeh

I've bought every Forza game since #2 including the new one, but I've never, and will never purchase DLC for them. If the sequel tries this crap again I will not be buying it. If this is what I can expect from the system as a whole, I will be selling it once I've had my fill of Killer Instinct. The bluray drive was probably a dollar bill acceptor before the 180.

It seems Microsoft is making a ton of bad decisions with the Xbone and are trying to get money any way possible, considering Turn 10 is a Microsoft studio. They dipped their toe in the water with the whole 'tokens' thing in Horizon and dove into the deep end with Forza 5. Definitely won't be getting this game if I ever decided to buy a Xbone.

If you all want to take a stand against microtransactions, then don't buy them. You need not boycott the game, that is not the problem. I recall a similar situation with online passes that eventually went away due to a lack of consumers supporting/purchasing them. Bottom line, if sales are poor on microtransactions then they will go away.

Surely you can see that buying the game, but not buying any tokens, is the ONLY way to 100% ensure that all future games follow this model. It's the best possible scenario from Microsoft's point of view. If the microtransactions don't prevent any game sales, then any profit on microtransactions at all nets them more money.

Microsoft undoubtedly assumed that some people would be turned off by this, but also are expecting that microtransaction profit would more than make up for it. The only scenario in which they would backtrack on this model is if game sales decline, and decline sharply - along with clear feedback from the community that this nickel-and-dime model is the reason.

Buying the game, whether you buy any tokens or not, is encouraging this microtransaction model.

TheBear

Is this gaining traction in the mainstream? The outcry against the DRM for the Xbone kind of swelled from a similar place and caused real action due to coverage from major outlets.

admartian

Screw this!

I'm mad because there's potential for this to eke out to other games, at an un-feasible/exploitation-like levels.

This is not just an MS issue however, as GT6 seems to be doing something akin to this. Let's hope games don't result to this, and if so, at lest either a) make it F2P AND make cars less than $1 each, OR b) don't sell cars separatley outside of MAYBE big DLC packs.

The funny thing about this thread is that most of you complaining don't even own the game or have even played it. That is clear by many of the nonsensical comments being put forth. I agree that micro transactions are not a good thing, but this game is fantastic despite that. If you all want to take a stand against microtransactions, then don't buy them. You need not boycott the game, that is not the problem. I recall a similar situation with online passes that eventually went away due to a lack of consumers supporting/purchasing them. Bottom line, if sales are poor on microtransactions then they will go away.

No. Buying this game encourages the propogation of this model. Boycotting games that have microtransactions sends a message to people like Phil Spencer, who has just said that they are analysing purchasing habits to "learn how to craft the experience", that you don't want them. Buying these games sends exactly the wrong message if you find microtransactions odious.

Bebpo

Banned
While Forza is deservedly getting lots of flak for this, I think one of the most underlooked monetizations of the new batch of games is NBA2K14. It's really really bad and destroys the career mode progression.

TideTime

I'd understand people's points about not caring if it were true that the core game wasn't affected. But as an article posted higher up points out, the game is now balanced with tempting you to buy credits in mind. It would also bug me while playing, thinking that for every high priced car they're just trying to swindle out microtransactions from me. It's always in the back of your head.

jimi_dini

I agree that micro transactions are not a good thing, but this game is fantastic despite that. If you all want to take a stand against microtransactions, then don't buy them. You need not boycott the game, that is not the problem. I recall a similar situation with online passes that eventually went away due to a lack of consumers supporting/purchasing them. Bottom line, if sales are poor on microtransactions then they will go away.

Then they have to play for 500 hours just to unlock all the cars. Great idea.

The game is designed to be a grind-fest, so that plenty of people will give up and pay additionally. The only way to go against that is not to buy the game. It's that simple.

I disagree. Microtransactions like this cost nothing. There is no product they are pouring man hours into. You buying the game tells them you are okay with whatever they do in that game. Even if only 10% of users ever buy into the microtransactions, that is still 100% profit they wouldn't have made otherwise. Why would they care if the other 90% only gave them the initial $60?

I disagree. Microtransactions like this cost nothing. There is no product they are pouring man hours into. You buying the game tells them you are okay with whatever they do in that game. Even if only 10% of users ever buy into the microtransactions, that is still 100% profit they wouldn't have made otherwise. Why would they care if the other 90% only gave them the initial $60?

I believe bad publicity and little to no purchasing via microtransactions will be an incentive for publishers not to continue with his trend. It's all about economics.

I think either way, you'd be better off messaging MS/Turn 10/whoever you can saying how much you hate the microtransactions and grinding, on top of not buying the microtransactions or the whole game. They'll specifically know about it then.

Heard that it was possible that the American publications who reviewed might've had a copy where every car was available. If it's true that the cost or time put in to get everything is pretty insufferable, I wonder how valuable that would make those review copies. Sad irony is they might go for another insufferable price on eBay.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i cant wait for the expansion packs. give me more tracks. take my money.

KaYotiX

Banned
Let's see how you feel when you're 100 hours deep and only have half the cars unlocked and have already raced every track 1,000 times over.

Its a racing game......we expect this when buying it. Dont get how ppl complain about this in a racer. Do you expect 50000 tracks or something? The real test is setting the best time on a track, thats the fun.

I believe bad publicity and little to no purchasing via microtransactions will be an incentive for publishers not to continue with his trend. It's all about economics.

As long as sales are great, ain't nobody at MS giving a fuck about bad publicity. Especially when much of that bad publicity never touches the ears and eyes of your average consumer.

You're right, it's all about economics. Which is why there is no incentive to not do this. Again, it's free money. You don't buy any of it, great you still gave them you're $60. You do buy it, great you gave them extra money that they had to do no work for.

Sadly, there's probably no real winning. If you don't buy the game, it's more likely the (admittedly good) series gets shelved than them examining the situation and deciding to blame the DLC and cutting the bullshit out of part 6.

fakefaker

Its a racing game......we expect this when buying it. Dont get how ppl complain about this in a racer. Do you expect 50000 tracks or something? The real test is setting the best time on a track, thats the fun.

No the game is about the cars and getting to play with them. If after a 1000 hours you only have half of them unlocked, where's the fun?

Dead Man

I've never had a needle in my eye, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it. As for buying the game and not tokens, if the game progression is broken to encourage token purchases, you are still fucking yourself in the long term if you buy the game as pubs will see the sales as approval of the model.

CheapyD

Found this thread after reading the Eurogamer article. Definitely waiting for a major price drop or buying used. Hopefully many others do the same to send a message to T10 and Microsoft. As a long time Forza fan, I am very disappointed.

Shengar

How so not playing the game invalidate our point about microstransaction will affect a game's design? Nobody here ever trashed Forza 5 for its driving mechanics or physics, all of the "nonsensical" comments like you said is directed at the microtransaction practice that might somewhat change the game whole design. Please elaborate then, why not playing the game invalidate our point?

The word is getting out. Seeing this thread referred to in several articles, forums and blogs, reddit, etc now.

I wonder if any of this attention is influencing discussions around the soon to come maps like the Nurburgring, or if all of that has already been laid out far in advance and set in stone.

MS has to at least know they've pissed off some of their core audience big time. When TeamVVV calls the game out, you'd imagine MS would take notice.

Edit: And this might help explain why we're seeing more mobiel free-to-play elements in console games:

According to this (courtesy of EEDAR and Kotaku), whales spend most of their time gaming on consoles.

Now, how many whales do you think MS needs to justify these monetization practices? If they're willing and able to spend thousands...
As repugnant as it is, I honestly wouldn't mind the fact that developers and publishers are actively going after addicts and taking advantage of them... So long as the base game is free to play. But when they're asking for $60+, and they do this shit, it's absolutely unacceptable.

eastx

Surely you can see that buying the game, but not buying any tokens, is the ONLY way to 100% ensure that all future games follow this model. It's the best possible scenario from Microsoft's point of view. If the microtransactions don't prevent any game sales, then any profit on microtransactions at all nets them more money.

Problem is, the game selling poorly is just as likely to result in them retiring the Forza brand. Not buying a game does not specifically tell the publisher why you object to it. They might have a post-op discussion about sales and acknowledge review criticism about specific design decisions. A single message board discussion or even a few are so much less likely to get brought up during that discussion.

IMO it's most important to get the press in on the discussion as well as directly contacting various Microsoft and Turn 10 employees via Twitter, etc. It's not super likely, but Microsoft could decide to patch the game to reduce the car costs or otherwise balance things out. They certainly have a post-release update plan, so you'd really just want to get the message to them while there is still time to act on it.

It's false advertising. It's even written on the back of the LCE. People are complaining on the official forums. I expect Microsoft to sit this one out though. They won't gift people 10.000 tokens.

However it shouldn't be a problem to return the game and get the money back.

There is a marketplace coming soon, and its very possible that their tuning of the payouts in game was mispreportioned to their desired curve of credit gathering.

As it stands now my driveatar is making me around 130k a week for me doing nothing. As a newcomer to the series and Sims, I have around 800k banked by doing very poorly on most career events. If I go try and get gold in the four career series I've done, I'd imagine I'd be at 1.3 or so million credits. At the lowest of the low career modes too. I haven't dabbled in the rivals, but that seems like the money maker for grinding.

It's false advertising. It's even written on the back of the LCE. People are complaining on the official forums. I expect Microsoft to sit this one out though. They won't gift people 10.000 tokens.

However it shouldn't be a problem to return the game and get the money back.
Why wouldn't they? That'd seem to be a very simple solution to that particular problem.

They promised LCE owners enough tokens to afford any single car in the game. They need to abide by that promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom