• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 announced (360, Xbox One), releasing this fall

Fox Mulder

It´s because we will never know if it couldn´t have been better if it hadn´t been designed with last gen in mind.

where are the developers saying this is true?

titanfall was intended for next gen, and a separate studio ported it down to the 360. The same thing is happening here.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Sounds good. I thought based on earlier concept art it was located in the Southern States of the US not Europe. Sort of rather it be in Europe anyway so the change is good.

On a side note, hopefully it's a highly adapted version of the Forza 5 engine, as technically and graphically speaking, F5's engine isn't exactly particularly forward thinking or advanced.

Well I think the Forza Horizon engine on 360 was built out of the Forza 4 engine so hopefully your concerns will be assuaged.

U2NUMB

That may not be true, we don't know the full capabilities of the engine. It might very well be capable of graphical features such as dynamic lighting, but they decided to omit that from F5 to meet that 60fps target.

And of course the launch of a new system... that no doubt had more to do with any issues Forza 5 had. Tough to hit that launch window.

Wow I remember how tons of people were saying MS was going to drop 360 support and they were bastards for it. Now that they aren't doing that people are complaining about cross gen.

More importantly why do we have to deal with this "Why don't they show the 360 version?" bs over and over. Its obvious. They don't want people who don't know any better to confuse the platforms.

FrankT

QUOTE=nib95;114409126]Right….but Forza Horizon 2 will most likely be 30fps. So I guess this game will disappoint in that respect too. Unless [insert excuse here].[/QUOTE]

Kind of disappointing like the first then right.

But 30fps is unplayable in a racing game, remember?
Preferable. Not unplayable.

This is the X1 right.. weaker hardware. PS4 is mighty. Maybe that's why they complained? Not sure. DriveClub looks pretty good. But now there's FH 2 at the same time.

Mmmmm. first one was so good!

Wow I remember how tons of people were saying MS was going to drop 360 support and they were bastards for it. Now that they aren't doing that people are complaining about cross gen.

More importantly why do we have to deal with this "Why don't they show the 360 version?" bs over and over. Its obvious. They don't want people who don't know any better to confuse the platforms.

I like that people are telling other people they're living in the past by having a 360 still and we're only 7 months or so into the newest generation. Now early adopting is what people should be doing it seems. Lol.. pretty funny.

GlamFM

Banned
I'm sorry, are you comparing VHS players from the 90s to the 360 which hundreds of millions of people still own and use? Just because you bought an Xbox One and don't use your 360 anymore doesn't mean anyone owes you anything. Companies need to make money, and if millions of people still play games on the 360 (hint: they do) then companies will continue to make games for the 360 (hint: they will).

Jeez, some of you act like the 360 should have been wiped off the face of the Earth as soon as the Xbox One was released.

Sure - but every copy of H2 for 360 sold is a potential XB1 customer lost. At least for a while.
I assume selling XB1s is also considered a way to make money?

nib95

Banned
Right….but Forza Horizon 2 will most likely be 30fps. So I guess this game will disappoint in that respect too. Unless [insert excuse here].

Kind of disappointing like the first then right.

No. I was a big fan of the first, and some of my fave racers of all time have been 30fps, so that doesn't bother me in the slightest. In-fact, I'd rather have 30fps and blown out visuals and vistas in an arcade racer over 60fps and diminished visuals. That's just me.

Sendou

Right….but Forza Horizon 2 will most likely be 30fps. So I guess this game will disappoint in that respect too. Unless [insert excuse here].

It better be 60FPS but if we're talking about Forza 5 I say I'd rather play a bad looking game running at 60FPS (and F5 doesn't even look that bad) than good looking game running at 30FPS. No exceptions when it comes to fast paced games such as these.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
That may not be true, we don't know the full capabilities of the engine. It might very well be capable of graphical features such as dynamic lighting, but they decided to omit that from F5 to meet that 60fps target.

Didn't Forza Horizon have dynamic lighting, day/night cycles, open world? And it was built on Forza 4's engine.

bedlamite

The rock selection didn't do much for me, the EDM channel was pretty good though

Fred Falke's remix of Nero's Reaching out...awesome stuff.

PG2G

Don't know why you guys would expect anything other than 30fps for this game. Horizon was 30fps but the Forza games were 60fps, why expect a change?

JaggedSac

No. I was a big fan of the first, and some of my fave racers of all time have been 30fps, so that doesn't bother me in the slightest. In-fact, I'd rather have 30fps and blown out visuals and vistas in an arcade racer over 60fps and diminished visuals. That's just me.

Same here

nib95

Banned
It better be 60FPS but if we're talking about Forza 5 I say I'd rather play a bad looking game running at 60FPS (and F5 doesn't even look that bad) than good looking game running at 30FPS. No exceptions when it comes to fast paced games such as these.

Have you ever played NFS, DIRT, GRID, Forza Horizon, PGR etc?

Fox Mulder

I agree.

I loved Horizon, but wished it was 60 fps. I'm still able to go back and have fun with something like Grand Prix Challenge on the ps2 with it's 22 car grid and 60 fps.

Aaron D.

Well duh, you remember how fugly Horizon 1 was, don't you?

FKLwT4p.jpg

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Not at all, we've got some really cool features planned that will provide more in-depth info than you'd normally get in a regular preview article.

We've got lots to tell you about the game and IGN First is going to be a great platform to get that mass of info out there to you.

Sounds awesome. I can't wait to see what's in store.

Dunkers92

Hell yeah!! Loved the first one

A bit of a strange decision to put it on 360, but this and Sunset Overdrive are the two games this year that will probably push me over the edge to get a One

I have the 1st one and it was amazing but why are they going cross-gen here instead of focusing on just the Xbox One version..little worrisome

Raven77

Helios, are you allowed to comment on whether or not the game was specifically designed on the XBOX ONE first and foremost, and then ported down to the 360?

Sendou

Have you ever played NFS, DIRT, GRID, Forza Horizon, PGR etc?

I have played some of those titles. Does it matter?

I'm just not sure I understand what makes you say "F5's engine isn't exactly particularly forward thinking or advanced" when there's no comparision point. No other current-gen racer on consoles is 1080p @ 60FPS. That's also why Forza 5 automatically wins in my opinion. 30FPS makes me ill when the game is moving in a quick fashion (so actually most of the 3D games that are made).

GlamFM

Banned
This being cross gen makes it a no-buy for me. Unless they come out and state that the game was specifically designed on the XBOX ONE first and foremost, and then ported down to the 360, I have no interest.

I didn't buy a new console to play high-res, better textured versions of last-gen games.

They kind of said that.

8KAih6q.png

Sure - but every copy of H2 for 360 sold is a potential XB1 customer lost. At least for a while.

I don't think it hurt Sony much and made them lose customers buying a PS4 by launching GT6 on the PS3 instead of PS4 launch.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
This being cross gen makes it a no-buy for me. Unless they come out and state that the game was specifically designed on the XBOX ONE first and foremost, and then ported down to the 360, I have no interest.

I didn't buy a new console to play high-res, better textured versions of last-gen games.
how are you enjoying the ps4 version of watch_dogs? :)

[edit] awww you edited your post :(

Bgamer90

Banned
Helios, are you allowed to comment on whether or not the game was specifically designed on the XBOX ONE first and foremost, and then ported down to the 360?

It was. It has already been stated. Hence why the main team is working on the XB1 version.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

It is, but Microsoft has to be sure that the game in question is a system seller. I don't know that most people would consider Horizon 2 a system seller. It probably sells a modest amount of copies, so spreading that risk over two systems makes sense.

Now a game like Halo 5 - that will sell no matter which system you put it on. So limiting it to Xbox One makes sense because people will buy an XB1 to play that. I don't know that lots of people will buy an XB1 just to play Horizon 2.

Good for the 360 base, but weird decision, first party titles across both is.. it does not seem like the best way to sell your new existing hardware.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I really hope they've done a lot of development on that Forza 5 engine. Driveclub has raised the bar relative to lighting.

GlamFM

Banned
I don't think it hurt Sony much and made them lose customers buying a PS4 by launching GT6 on the PS3 instead of PS4 launch.

Sure, but as we know it would take Polyphony roughly 26 years to create next gen assets - so in this case it was more of a decision between a racer on PS3 or no racer at all.

Top Bottom