• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 announced (360, Xbox One), releasing this fall

RetroStu

Banned
Agenda poster.

And there is plenty of them in this thread (and most X1 threads).

No but seriously, hardly anyone plays the same game for more than a year (outside of an mmo or something) so what difference does it make if some games come out yearly?.
If its a good game then bring it on i say.

FordGTGuy

Banned
lol, didn't Forza 5 have screenshots released first as well.............which ended up looking nothing like the official release........I'm going to wait for some real gameplay footage before I get excited. I have a feeling we are going to get some bullshots tomorrow

The "bullshots" for Forza Horizon pretty much looked like it did in-game.

First parties are expected to showcase the hardware they're on. If Microsoft doesn't do it, who will?

360 owners that don't have the Xbox One don't feel like they need to upgrade, early One adopters feel like they spent 499 bucks on a new system to play slightly prettier versions of the same games, which they may not be happy about unless they're huge graphics enthusiasts, and which may prompt them to wait longer next time.

It's one game. And as far as we know, it's currently the only game Microsoft is publishing in 2014 that will be cross-platform.

Wereroku

Why would they be assisting with the 360 version and why would they aim for experience parity?

The 360 is very likely to be based on the engine that was used in Horizon 1 with some tweaks done to introduce weather.

The same reason Respawn did they want all versions of their game to be good. I am not saying its going to adversely effect the XBO version just that they will make sure that it can be adjusted downward. I don't know why people think they won't just port the engine down to save time on asset creation and distribution.

Kelsey

Banned
On IGN

UPDATE: To clarify, the Playground Games is developing solely for the Xbox One version, using Forza Motorsport 5's graphics engine as a baseline. The Xbox 360 version is being handled separately by Sumo Digital.

--

I'm fully OK with that !

If I remember correctly, they worked on the Sonic Racing games. Good deal.

I love the first and I don't have an Xbox One. I would like to pick up the sequel, but it'll be a hard sell when the XONE version is clearly superior.

Why is MS dropping all these releases the week before E3? Sigh

The same reason Respawn did they want all versions of their game to be good. I am not saying its going to adversely effect the XBO version just that they will make sure that it can be adjusted downward. I don't know why people think they won't just port the engine down to save time on asset creation and distribution.

Because there's already an engine that works flawlessly on the 360? Down porting the F5 engine seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
On IGN

UPDATE: To clarify, the Playground Games is developing solely for the Xbox One version, using Forza Motorsport 5's graphics engine as a baseline. The Xbox 360 version is being handled separately by Sumo Digital.

--

I'm fully OK with that !

Thanks for the update.

im talking forza 5 however.........they did a fantastic job on Forza Horizon though.

I'm having a hard time seeing this hitting 1080p however with how many corners were cut just to get it there initially. F5 had baked lighting, no night time racing, no weather.

The screenshots will make it look great regardless. Forza 5 looked great at E3 and then the final release took quite the downgrade.

You're in danger of setting impossibly high standards for yourself here... no games that exist on lesser hardware and no game which takes a downgrade between its E3 reveal and its release... won't leave you much to play. Basically PS4 first party exclusives and that's about it. (edit: minus the downgraded ones, of course)

FordGTGuy

Banned
No. Granted, I've only played Forza 5 for a few hours (since I don't own an X1), but the game looked nowhere near as good as the E3 build. Unless the game gets better hours later?

I'll say it again.

im talking forza 5 however.........they did a fantastic job on Forza Horizon though.

I'm having a hard time seeing this hitting 1080p however with how many corners were cut just to get it there initially. F5 had baked lighting, no night time racing, no weather.

Uh... this is coming out a year after Forza 5 which was 1080p at launch using the same engines...

Kelsey

Banned
No. Granted, I've only played Forza 5 for a few hours (since I don't own an X1), but the game looked nowhere near as good as the E3 build. Unless the game gets better hours later?

What does that have to do with the first Horizon looking like its bullshots?

RayMaker

Banned
On IGN

--

I'm fully OK with that !

So its going similar to call of duty 2, the proper next gen version was released on the 360 and PC, the XBOXog and especially the ps2 got the gimped big red one.

EBE

yeah Forza Horizon was a technical powerhouse. im dumbfounded at what playground were able to do on the 360. FH2 is going to be crazy.

Read his post again :) He was talking about FH.

Ah, seems I automatically placed Forza 5 in there since the original post was about Forza 5. Horizons did look amazing for a 360 game. I wouldn't even be mad at 30FPS if they get it to 1080p with amazing visuals. For now, all I'll say is I'm surprised it's cross-gen, I'm glad that it is since it's one less reason to drop $500 on an X1 this year, and I'm going to wait to see the final result before jumping to any more conclusions.

Facism

> If MS make this Xbox One only, people say that MS are forgetting about the 360 and leaving it for dead.
> If MS make this cross-gen, people say that MS aren't dedicated enough in their own next gen hardware.

They can't win with some of you. I'm yet to get an XB1, will probably buy one at the end of this year (already have a PS4). What I played of Forza Horizon on 360 was very good.

are these the same people, though?

Bgamer90

Banned
But that's the thing. They pretty much abandoned the 360 years ago. Why support it now? Not that I'm complaining, of course, just wondering what their thought process for this was. This just means I'll get to play it for sure.

Years ago?

Gears of War Judgement did come out last year. Halo 4 and Forza Horizon before that.

I mean if one game per year = "not abandoned" then that means they have never abonded the 360.

The persecution complex is strong in this thread. I haven't noticed anyone complaining in a QB/inFamous SS thread that MS/Sony are abandoning the 360/PS3.

This game seems to have a die hard fan base. I think it'll sell well on 360 and xb1.

Klocker

Yea, let's toss out an notion of 1080p 60fps (like F5) as the additional effects will eat into that budget

900/60 or 1080/30 would be my guess

On IGN

--

I'm fully OK with that !

Well damn, now I'm suddenly interested in the 360 version too...

Microsoft supporting the Xbox 360 with exclusives stills is a win in my book. It wouldn't stop people for saying the only Sony supported the PS3 since 2012 or something dumb like that. I wonder what the hell is going in the Microsoft convence if they are dropping bombs before, left and right.?

TrueGrime

Hell yes. Just like I said in the cross-gen thread, two different developers should work on the game. One for the main, the other for the last gen port.

So great to wake up to this megaton.

Wereroku

Because there's already an engine that works flawlessly on the 360? Down porting the F5 engine seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth.

But that involves making new assets for 2 different systems and with a car game its all about the assets. But who knows maybe you are right luckily we only have to wait till the fall to find out. Then we have some new open world driving to waste tons of hours in. I hope we get mp3 support by then because I love me some cruising music and the streaming is a little annoying for me.

RetroStu

Banned

Most of that was because of time constraints rather than engine problems, that Take 10 guy even said that and how they had to prioritize certain things.

Plus i would bet that Horizons will be locked 30fps like the first game.

I'll say it again.

Uh... this is coming out a year after Forza 5 which was 1080p at launch using the same engines...

correct and we are dealing with completely different hardware this time around that seems to be causing developers some serious issues. Remember Forza 5 was 1080p with baked lighting, no nighttime racing, no weather. If forza horizons pulls 1080p it most likely will be missing a lot of those features again.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Most of that was because of time constraints rather than engine problems, that Take 10 guy even said that and how they had to prioritize certain things.

Should also be noted that the models in Forza 5 already have working headlights and lighted interiors.

correct and we are dealing with completely different hardware this time around that seems to be causing developers some serious issues. Remember Forza 5 was 1080p with baked lighting, no nighttime racing, no weather. If forza horizons pulls 1080p it most likely will be missing a lot of those features again.

Serious issues? alright...

Forza 5 was also a brand new game on a brand new console developed within two years with new engines(Also the largest racing game content-wise at the launch of a console.).

That's why MS should give them ample time, rather than push them to get one out every two years. I think T10 could do great if given enough time.

Top Bottom