• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 announced (360, Xbox One), releasing this fall

Frillen

This thread should be a graveyard. It's so easy to pick out the ones who's actually never played both Motorsport and Horizon, or neither.

The screenshots will make it look great regardless. Forza 5 looked great at E3 and then the final release took quite the downgrade. If Horizons 2 comes out, and it's evident that the 360 version had no effect, I'll gladly eat crow. It's just that as of now, every Cross Gen game I've played has shown me that is not the case

So comparing a launch title getting downgraded to a game showing up a year later. Alrighty.

FordGTGuy

Banned
That's why MS should give them ample time, rather than push them to get one out every two years. I think T10 could do great if given enough time.

While I agree they could use more time but they always have done great with every release. Forza 5 is the largest racing game ever at the release of a console.

Fox Mulder

I think some have lost sight of what a megaton is...

I think a megaton can be different to different people. I loved forza horizon, so a sequel is great. I wouldn't give a shit if something like final fantasy or metal gear became xbone exclusive.

shandy706

AKA "Megatons only count if I think they're a megaton".

There are many with that opinion.

If that was his "megaton" that he wanted to hear more than anything else (or at least a confirmation), then let him have it.

There are rumors about basically everything under the sun coming to the PS4 and X1. We all know (not really) that TLG is going to be at E3...soooooo not a megaton to anyone...sorry.
It would blow the pants off some for confirmation.

LOLCats

Banned
I don't see a problem with this cross gen, especially with updated OP, probably just use Horizon (360) engine for H2-360, and F5 engine for H2 XB1.

RE_Player

Do people not understand how development works? Of course the Xbox One version is going to be restrained as to what it can accomplish be it graphics, modes or features. They aren't going to just hand off the game when it's done to Sumo Digital and say make this but on a 360. They'll go back and forth constantly.

Mononoke

Banned
I loved Horizon. So this has me excited. Outside of Sunset Overdrive I'm not really all that excited for new X1 titles. And most new titles (which are 3rd party) will be bought on PS4 or PC. So this is a good announcement for me.

Kelsey

Banned
Years ago?

Gears of War Judgement did come out last year. Halo 4 and Forza Horizon before that.

I mean if one game per year = "not abandoned" then that means they have never abonded the 360.

They also bankrolled the port of Minecraft. Hardly the thing a company abandoning its users would do.

EBreda

Take the Forza 5 engine, reduce to 30 fps rate, and you have the resources needed for real time lighting, weather.

In 1080p.

RetroStu

Banned
This thread should be a graveyard. It's so easy to pick out the ones who's actually never played both Motorsport and Horizon, or neither.

If mods deleted all the 'drive by trolling' posts and all the 'stealth concern' posts, this thread would be half the size. In fact most X1 threads would be.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Do people not understand how development works? Of course the Xbox One version is going to be restrained to what a 360 can accomplish be it graphics, modes or features. They aren't going to just hand off the game when it's done to Sumo Digital and say make this but on a 360. They'll go back and forth constantly.

Not if they are being developed separately on different engines... like they are.

Take the Forza 5 engine, reduce to 30 fps rate, and you have the resources needed for real time lighting, weather.

In 1080p.

Add in a extra year to get experience working with new hardware too.

But that involves making new assets for 2 different systems and with a car game its all about the assets. But who knows maybe you are right luckily we only have to wait till the fall to find out. Then we have some new open world driving to waste tons of hours in. I hope we get mp3 support by then because I love me some cruising music and the streaming is a little annoying for me.

You make a very good point. I hope I am right, but as you said, we'll only really find out once both are out...

fasTRapid

Banned
Cinemablend's gaming section is fucking garbage.

That was the sku breakdown for the week that TF launched on 360. Not the breakdown of total Titanfall sales.
Sorry, just searched for Titanfall platform split and it was the first result.

Im wonder if they have something really big for E3! Theyre revealing everything before it!
Gotta make space for all the big third-party-exclusive megaton bombs!!!

If mods deleted all the 'drive by trolling' posts and all the 'stealth concern' posts, this thread would be half the size. In fact most X1 threads would be.
Sadly, it's the same for Watch Dogs and PS4 threads, see the generic The Order threads.

im talking forza 5 however.........they did a fantastic job on Forza Horizon though.

I'm having a hard time seeing this hitting 1080p however with how many corners were cut just to get it there initially. F5 had baked lighting, no night time racing, no weather.

Forza 5 runs at 60fps. It's very likely Forza Horizon 2 will run at 30fps. That difference alone frees up a lot of power to be used on other things, and then you've got all that improvements that come with working on a console a year later.

Do people not understand how development works? Of course the Xbox One version is going to be restrained to what a 360 can accomplish be it graphics, modes or features. They aren't going to just hand off the game when it's done to Sumo Digital and say make this but on a 360. They'll go back and forth constantly.

What if the versions are allowed to be optimally designed around their host platform but share the same goals? Not everyone forces each version of a game to be the same and, in the past, many games were redesigned to suit their platform. With Sumo, an established racing game developer with a track record of designing their own racing games, I could believe that the versions will be different from each other while being guided by the same core feature-set.

LowerLevel

Uh... this is coming out a year after Forza 5 which was 1080p at launch using the same engines...

And less compute used on things like suspension, tuning and tyre physics. Wonder where those extra computations, plus the "extra 8%" or whatever the reduction from Kinect is, will be used?

Obviously talking a bit from my ass, but I do mean some of it. I'd imagine they wont have to use the full poly models from F5 either... Seriously can't wait!

RyudBoy

Do you honestly believe this? You don't think Microsoft trying to sell a few more XBOs had anything to do with this? I mean they did do a price cut during Titanfall's launch window?

It was one of the shadiest moves by Microsoft's towards gamers...the loyal 360 fan base.

I'd give you a serious answer but all you do is troll MS threads.

jem0208

This game most certainly is a megaton. If it had been announced out of the blue it would have been incredible, the fact that it was widely rumoured makes it slightly less exciting but still awesome nonetheless.

It being locked made it such a fluid racer you could hardly notice it was 30 fps.

Some people can't stand current TVs with the post processing that adds frames, but good lord it looks good when playing Horizon 1. I swear its feels like a legit 50 FPS game on my TV.

LNBL

The amount of people shitting on this game already due to not reading the OP is hilarious.

If this game comes even close to what FH 1 was, then it will be awesome.

TrueGrime

This game most certainly is a megaton. If it had been announced out of the blue it would have been incredible, the fact that it was widely rumoured makes it slightly less exciting but still awesome nonetheless.

Yup. Exactly what I was going for. Not to mention a fall release.

Do you think the 360 version will outsell the X1 version like TItanfall or with the new SKU price it will be the other way around this time?

EBE

i think 1080p is entirely achievable. i mean its not as if Forza Horizon had to drop the resolution when they added in a day/night cycle, dynamic shadows, better texture filtering and better AA, among other improvements. i guess it all depends on how many visual bells and whistles playground want to add here for the sequel. i definitely expect to see a significant improvement over FM5.

Vire

Disappointed that it's cross gen, but I don't give a fuck. Horizon was awesome, so I'm still excited.

MarkusRJR

Holy shit I am so pumped. I loved the shit out of Forza Horizon. It had the perfect blend of arcade and sim physics and controls. Day 1 for the Xbox One version.

jacobeid

Banned
I doubt it. If the game was that important to you I don't think youd be willing to play a version that will surely be dramatically worse on 360 probably with cut features.

I think you misunderstood. Forza Horizon 2 really WAS that important to me that it is the game to make me buy the system. I do not want to play a version that may or may not be dramatically worse (we can't know this for certain now), but regardless I want to play this on XO.

I own a PC/PS4/Wii U/PS3/Vita/3DS so I need exclusive experiences to get me to buy an XO. Forza Horizon was my favorite 360 exclusive, and I will buy an XO for Forza Horizon 2. As you could tell, I sold my 360. This game is my personal system seller.

Okay, and I'm sure that for someone, somewhere, the PS4 version of Hotline Miami will be a system seller. Not what I mean, or really what anyone means, by that term though.

I can play Hotline Miami on PC, PS3, or Vita. I can't play Forza Horizon 2 anywhere else, so I'll buy an XO (I sold my 360 and don't need another).

Jhoan

The sim stuff kinda puts me off the Forza series. Loved 1 & 2 but did not get into the rest. Horizon looks pretty cool, so I will keep an eye out for what they do with Horizon 2.

My intro to the series was with 3 and 4. I put about maybe 4-6 hours into each of them before I realized it's not for me. My younger half brother who's a car buff loved them. Arcade style racers are way more fun and enjoyable; especially ones that have RPG elements.

I would recommend you check out Driver: San Francisco for a good arcade style open world game. I've been playing it over the weekend and it's incredibly awesome but it's a shame the servers shut down for it IIRC. It feels like it was the game that Criterion's Need For Speed: Most Wanted should have been with way more charm.

i think 1080p is entirely achievable. i mean its not as if Forza Horizon had to drop the resolution when they added in a day/night cycle, dynamic shadows, better texture filtering and better AA, among other improvements. i guess it all depends on how many visual bells and whistles playground want to add here for the sequel. i definitely expect to see a significant improvement over FM5.

This definitely should be 1080p, but I'd still get this at 900p. Though dropping from 60fps to 30 should give a significant boost in power to work with.

shinnn

correct and we are dealing with completely different hardware this time around that seems to be causing developers some serious issues. Remember Forza 5 was 1080p with baked lighting, no nighttime racing, no weather. If forza horizons pulls 1080p it most likely will be missing a lot of those features again.
lol @ trolls

Forza horizon got the same resolution as FM4.

One interesting thing is that FM5 already uses motion blur at 60fps.

I dont know why, but the term "drive by trolling" just made me laugh uncontrollably in my quiet work office. Thank you sir.

I am looking forward to FH2 and what the Playground team can do with this. Moving this announcement out of E3 next week just made me THAT much more excited for what every company is gonna show. Megatons are sure to be inbound!

Top Bottom