• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

Spasm

2x Xeon E5 2690 @ 3Ghz
128GB DDR4
XFX Radeon RX 480 17.2.1

1080p Everything Ultra, except MSAA at 4x.

Pre-patch: 45-55fps
Post-patch: 65-80fps.

I now feel comfortable turning on vsync, and it's a rock-solid 60fps eyegasm. To borrow a parlance from the Halo folks... We back.

stoke1863

ok this is pretty epic!

My rig: I5 4690K with GTX 980

Pre patch i had to run some very odd settings (see below) could get almost locked 60fps in the outback and anything from 60-38 in surfers paradise.

Pre patch settings and screenshot

LdZnvzh.jpg

III1JG4.jpg

m7Nd40p.jpg

After patch using old settings

95CjGm8.jpg

So thats 42fps to around 71fps I can now crank the settings to muuuuch higher levels and have it locked 60fps, the game actually looks nice now!

Gestault

Wouldn't turning off MSAA and just using FXAA pre-patch have helped as well?

The whole point was that even on more-than-capable systems, there was an artificial bottleneck before this patch in some areas for people. Something that even turning everything down to minimum couldn't completely clear up. It's why people are pretty stoked that the improvement it so visible, so far.

Jack John

Just tried the demo and it's still a stuttery mess for me with a Titan X Pascal. Just curious if it's just the demo. Anyone with the main game who has performance improvements want to try the demo? I'd be so appreciative! Just want to make sure before I lay down fifty bucks.

Oh my god they finally fixed it. I can hardly believe what I'm seeing but it's true. Forza Horizon 3 at 60FPS! I can finally retire Xbox One version now.

Just tried the demo and it's still a stuttery mess for me with a Titan X Pascal. Just curious if it's just the demo. Anyone with the main game who has performance improvements want to try the demo? I'd be so appreciative! Just want to make sure before I lay down fifty bucks.

the demo didnt get updated

what's the version number on the demo?

2x Xeon E5 2690 @ 3Ghz
128GB DDR4
XFX Radeon RX 480 17.2.1

1080p Everything Ultra, except MSAA at 4x.

Pre-patch: 45-55fps
Post-patch: 65-80fps.

I now feel comfortable turning on vsync, and it's a rock-solid 60fps eyegasm. To borrow a parlance from the Halo folks... We back.
Someone is gaming on their work server.

terrible

Banned
On a 4.5ghz 2500K with a GTX 1060 and it is running better now. It's not perfect but it's less messy.

In about 30-60 minutes of quick testing:

-On a mix of Medium-Ultra the forest races still are nowhere near a locked 60 but are more playable than before
-Freeroam is close to a locked 60 pretty much everywhere minus the occasional annoying hitch/micro stutter
-Speed traps and such seem to consistently produce a stutter for me when I trigger them

dLMN8R

Currently downloading the game again to see how much better it will be for me.

Yet again, the MS store is fucking garbage. It says I'm downloading at 30-40MB/s. After close to 15 minutes, it has downloaded 4,8GB.. Yeah, those numbers don't add up at all.

Why would they do that lol.

Because your internet is advertised by Comcast / whoever else in megabits/sec, not megabytes. It's standard internet practice, and the same is done on Xbox and many other platforms.

Yeah, it was updated today. I'm pretty sure the app is actually showing MB/s when it's supposed to be Mb/s like in the screenshot above. Good job MS, can't even do that right.

qlIdNSy.png

Looks like there's a bug in localization of the text. I'll let the right people know.

Only had a chance to play for about 10 minutes but it is definitely better for me on a 3570 with a 1080. Still had a few drops in surfer's paradise though.

stoke1863

Just did a rainy race at dusk on surfers paradise with higher settings than I ever could before was 90% 60 fps and lowest of 56fps.

Looked absolutely stunning the settings I had to use before made it look very flat.

HeliosT10

The demo hasn't been updated yet, it's in the pipeline though.

ok this is pretty epic!

My rig: I5 4690K with GTX 980

Pre patch i had to run some very odd settings (see below) could get almost locked 60fps in the outback and anything from 60-38 in surfers paradise.

Pre patch settings and screenshot

LdZnvzh.jpg

III1JG4.jpg

m7Nd40p.jpg

After patch using old settings

95CjGm8.jpg

So thats 42fps to around 71fps I can now crank the settings to muuuuch higher levels and have it locked 60fps, the game actually looks nice now!

They patched out your spoiler

Windows store downloads are just embarrassing. It can't even tell me how much I need to download/speed/progress etc, the most basic stuff, come on!

stoke1863

so strangely my game is now popping achievements up, i guess for some reason achievements weren't unlocking for me before, unfrtuantley stuff i have already done like some of the big events are still locked despite me doing them.

R1CHO

Great news.

Will buy during a sale, which will be never, because I will never know when this shitty store has sales on games I am interested in.

:(

aka_bueno

If anyone's curious about mid-range performance...

-i7 6700 (non-k, stock)
-GTX 1060 6GB
-16GB RAM

I can either get a rock solid 4k30fps on ultra everything everywhere no micro stutter, no rare dips anywhere.

Or

Medium settings (preset) 4k with 50-65fps. Surfers paradise will dip to low 50's in the trouble spot with the trolley street. Outside of there it hovers in the mid to high 50s or low 60s.

I'm sticking to 4k30ultra, but that 4kmedium performance is pretty rad. The fact that i can get 50-60fps at 4K medium is a pretty big upgrade. For comparisons sake, when the game first came out I was playing at 1080p and no matter the settings, the game would hover around mid-high 40's in Surfers Paradise and dip randomly as mid 30s in the trolley street with other cars racing by.

Kiyoshi

Anyone tried the game with a pretty old ass cpu? All those impressions are nice, but I wonder if my old ass i7 870 can now run the game decently.

i7-920 here at 4ghz. I've just played a quick session to try things out and I'm getting 60fps locked at 1440p (with a GTX 1070). It'd drop to 45-50 at 1080p before; so yeah big improvement even on an old ass CPU like mine!

Xyber

Because your internet is advertised by Comcast / whoever else in megabits/sec, not megabytes. It's standard internet practice, and the same is done on Xbox and many other platforms.

Looks like there's a bug in localization of the text. I'll let the right people know.

While good that it might be fixed eventually, it also showcases yet again how slow these downloads can be from the MS store. Utilizing ~40Mbit out of my 500 available, even on a really bad day I still get around 100-150Mbit down from Steam which usually comes close to or maxes out my connection.

Right now I'm getting 4Mbit/s (or not even downloading anything at all) and have downloaded a total of 11GB in just over an hour. 11GB usually takes around 5 minutes for me to download from other services. This is so frustratingly bad.

oxidax

A friend of mine has the HW expansion yet he didnt pay for it. We both have the ultimate edition but I dont have it. Huh?

Shari

Posting mine:

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Rp9VJSc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Wis8dIk.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xsrgGAI.png[/IMG]

Forgot specs:

6700k stock
16go ddr4
1080 stock

Shari

Pre rendered frames at 3? Isn't the input lag a bit much?

I have no clue how that works, that was the default when autosetting ultra. Only thing I've touch is vsync (got gsync), dynamic optimization and mssa turn off.

Gonna try and see if I can feel a difference, ty.

Did a quick 10 minute check with new update.

i5 4690k @4.2ghz, GTX 970 OC, 16GB Ram.

Smooth 60fps everywhere including Surfers Paradise with everything set to high, MSAA x2 and FXAA, 1080p.

This really did fix everything. No micro stutters at all. It's like I upgraded my PC. Well done T10.

HeliosT10

That's great, thanks for the update! Silly question, how will we know the demo has been updated?

Different version number I'd imagine, plus we'll let the community know beforehand. We hope to have this available within the next couple of weeks but don't have a firm date set at present.

Top Bottom