• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

My system is a lower version of yours with the same architecture, those results sound like there could be something else going on. Any chance you have forced settings active in the Nvidia panel or didn't enable some of the newest in-game options like multi-threading?

Are there some NVCP options that tank performance?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Go to Windows Settings > System > Apps > Forza > Advanced options > Reset

That fixed it for me.

Anyone know if this will also delete my save progress? I want to try this to deal with the infinite loading issue I am facing with Blizzard Mountain(and some pre-order cars I own but cannot be accessed for some reason). Fearful my progress since launch will be undone by using this reset app option.

Halp!

Seiniyta

Anyone know if this will also delete my save progress? I want to try this to deal with the infinite loading issue I am facing with Blizzard Mountain(and some pre-order cars I own but cannot be accessed for some reason). Fearful my progress since launch will be undone by using this reset app option.

Halp!

You don't have to worry about that.

So I've been enjoying the base game for a while now so I got myself hot wheels and Blizzard mountain...

infinite loading time on both Hot wheels and Blizzard mountain.
So I'm like "okay, let's reset the app" Still no dice.
Then I removed blizzard mountain to see if Hotwheels works (after doing another reset whilst at it) Nope.

Then I did the reverse, removing hot wheels and trying to load Blizzard Mountain. Also nothing.

I have the absolute worst luck with this game.

gotoadgo

Yep! I think I've almost tried everything by now sadly. I have a feeling some are just less sensitive to the microstutter, I sadly notice it very easily.

You have framerate smoothing turned on in the options, right? If I don't have that turned on I get stuttering with g-sync too. With smoothing the game is like butter.

Brandon F

You don't have to worry about that.

So I've been enjoying the base game for a while now so I got myself hot wheels and Blizzard mountain...

infinite loading time on both Hot wheels and Blizzard mountain.
So I'm like "okay, let's reset the app" Still no dice.
Then I removed blizzard mountain to see if Hotwheels works (after doing another reset whilst at it) Nope.

Then I did the reverse, removing hot wheels and trying to load Blizzard Mountain. Also nothing.

I have the absolute worst luck with this game.

Thanks. I'm reinstalling Blizz now but will try resetting if it still doesn't work.

You have the latest patch I assume? (Separate download. I had to manually choose to update Forza 3 in Win store to get it to launch). I was able to get into Hot Wheels fine myself, just Blizz is screwed up for me. Not sure why you can't seem to access either.

Hux1ey

Banned
You have framerate smoothing turned on in the options, right? If I don't have that turned on I get stuttering with g-sync too. With smoothing the game is like butter.

That option has never made any difference for me, not even sure what it actually does.

Brandon F

Whelp, that was a waste of time. Reinstalling the Blizzard Mountain expansion and resetting my app still leads to infinite loading.

Sigh, back to playing games that actually work.

Whelp, that was a waste of time. Reinstalling the Blizzard Mountain expansion and resetting my app still leads to infinite loading.

after the game loads for a couple seconds alt tab out of the game and back right away. I used to have that problem before and it always worked for me.

Spasm

BM is bugged right now for Expansion Pass (as opposed to buying each expansion individually) owners. I assume you have the Pass? Nothing to do but wait for TP1G0 to fix it.

my experience has been that if I have both hot wheels and BM installed, BM won't load.

If I uninstall hot wheels and leave BM installed, it will load properly.

I uninstalled both expansions, I reset the app, I reinstalled just BM and it worked. so I left the area (so I didn't get stuck there) then installed hot wheels.BM got infinite loading.

At that point, I uninstalled the hot wheels expansion and tested BM again and it loaded fine.

Cyanity

Banned
People with the infinite loading problem: have you tried alt-tabbing out and back into the game? That always worked for me back during the Blizzard Mountain expansion. (I don't have the Hot Wheels xpack yet)

edit - oh, I think I'm misunderstanding the kind of infinite loading problem y'all are having

I'm actually speechless. Bought the game, tried it even with my old GPU and it worked, 60 fps with med/high settings (mostly high, just environment stuff on med), lowest recorded was about 58 during one heavy race in Surfer's Paradise. No tearing, no stuttering.

woah.gif

My setup is a 6700k - 4.5ghz, 970 at 1500+mhz, SSD, 16GB 3000mhz.

This patch was a fucking miracle.

zma1013

I have an issue where keyboard prompts keep overriding the controller prompts. I can't actually use my controller because it constantly keeps switching back to keyboard and mouse controls for some reason, like instantaneously. I've unplugged my keyboard and my mouse to see if either were causing the issue but it still happened. No idea what to do now, can't play at all with a controller.

I figured out my issue. If I have Steam up while trying to play the game, it causes the keyboard/controller conflicts, so I just shut down Steam and now the controller and game work fine.

Brandon F

BM is bugged right now for Expansion Pass (as opposed to buying each expansion individually) owners. I assume you have the Pass? Nothing to do but wait for TP1G0 to fix it.

Yea. Ultimate Edition + Expansion Pass owner. I am patient, but this seems to be a recurring theme for those of us that bought into the highest tier during launch periods with this game. Hopefully a fix arrives soon.

Izuna

Banned
Why? The drops to 59 show obvious stuttering. Game is still fucked microstutter wise tbh.

I'm not sure what's causing it, but if I take the settings way down, the counter appears the same (with the cap) with less stutters. It's really bad regardless. I don't want to use Vsync

GrazGamer

i7 6700k and Titan Xp here, maxed with 2xMSAA at 4K it's now a rock solid 60fps travelling the tram lines where it was down to 45 previously.

Dunkley

Still on my GTX 960 with 2GB of VRAM / i7 860 OC'd to 3 Ghz and 8 GB of RAM.

And while there was the weird oddity of the game crashing 5 seconds into gameplay and fixing it by running it in Windowed Mode, then pressing Alt Enter, I gotta say performance wise this is a huge step upwards from the complaints I had earlier.

Uncapping the framerate and setting it to dynamic optimization with the Medium Preset yielded following things.

Driving around the world during light rain ranged from 30 to 50 fps, there was no prolonged stutter like previous patches. Game still complains about low VRAM but it rarely shows its' signs of struggling under that anymore.

On previous patches it went up to 38 at most and mostly stuck around 25fps with drops below 10fps when it was loading in data.

Race preperation and car closups before and after the race ranged from 20-30 fps, with prolonged times in the low 20s. Doesn't look all too hot there, but it ain't gameplay so I'll allow it.

In races, even with a lot of cars on screen it dropped the lowest to 29FPS with the game spending a lot of time at around 35FPS. This is pretty huge since previously, well, it dropped into the teens with all cars on screens and confidently stayed there until the racers spread out a bit.

Needless to say it rained throughout my session so road reflection and so additionally chewed on the resources, but I gotta say I'm impressed. The stutter being gone is great since whenever I played on PC I turned on rewind just in case the framerate spiked downwards during racing, so I'm glad to hopefully not having to do that anymore.

Either way I definitely noticed the improvements. Since I don't like to torture my PC I'll probably keep playing on Xbox One, but man I'm glad to see those improvements since for my range of hardware I gotta say this is very playable by now while previously there were some heavy blemishes you had to actively try to look past.

Patch has done wonders for me, pretty much locked 4k60 with a 1080 and i7 6700. Need to finish it off so I can get on the hot wheels expansion.

Got back into FH3 after hearing chatter about performance being much better on PC.

WOW, sure is. I'm able to run 4K everything Ultra +8x MSAA on my 1080ti/6700K.

Very impressed, its locked 60 everywhere except the 1 rain forest race I had, and then it was 56 at minimum.

Caved and bought Blizzard Mt and Hot Wheels.

The Stig

im getting great performance but the game keeps crashing, application log shows nvapi64.dll being the faulty module.

this wasnt happening before............

Nice! I'm getting between 80 and 100 fps in Surfer's Paradise with G-Sync and 1440p now, with no frame timing issues that I can spot (not that I'm a pro at that, but if I can't spot it I still win, right?). This is on a i7 7700k and Geforce GTX 1080. This area used to be horrible for me before this patch, and I always had to do the trickery with cpu core priorities before playing. That's not necessary anymore.

ISee

I tested the new Game Mode that was introduced with the Windows 10 Creators Update in FH3. Performance is at least not worse. But to be fair Playground Games, Turn 10 Studios and Microsoft put a lot of effort to make FH 3 a much better experience on PC in the first place with the latest update. So, I'm not going to complain too much.

Short 90 seconds side by side comparison, if someone is interested. Recorded at 1440p, but uploaded in 4k for better YT quality. Processing may still take a while, though.

Seiniyta

Well, I figured out why the game was having infinite loading screens for both Blizzard Mountain and Hotwheels...

Windows store was still installing the dlc to my ssd instead of the HDD where the base game was installed. wtf.

Kei-

Damn, I passed on this game in the last sale because of the (rightfully) negative impressions of the PC performance. I had some expiring XBL credit I wanted to spend badly. I went ahead and pre-ordered COD WWII to launder my money lol. I am sure Forza will go on sale during E3 so I can then cancel my COD pre-order and then buy Forza which I am really hoping will be on sale again during E3 week. That's like 99.9% sure thing right?

Btw, I have an i7-7700, 16gbs of 2400 RAM and a 980. Should that work well?

Damn, I passed on this game in the last sale because of the (rightfully) negative impressions of the PC performance. I had some expiring XBL credit I wanted to spend badly. I went ahead and pre-ordered COD WWII to launder my money lol. I am sure Forza will go on sale during E3 so I can then cancel my COD pre-order and then buy Forza which I am really hoping will be on sale again during E3 week. That's like 99.9% sure thing right?

Btw, I have an i7-7700, 16gbs of 2400 RAM and a 980. Should that work well?

Yeah that should work more than fine.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I will cream my pants if they announce some sort of VR support for this game at E3.

Idk, I'd say the game generally runs great but I noticed that no matter if I had hte game at 4K or 1080P or even 720P the framerate would still occasionally drop below 60 into like the 40s. I have a GTX 1070, I5 4590K clocked at 4.0GHZ, 8GB DDR3 RAM and it's installed on an SSD.

Top Bottom