• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

Pasck

Neo Member
Hello,

the demo hasn't been updated by now, right? Nor will possibly ever be.

rloX7VX.png

Just got this 3,86 gb update today, I bet that's it.

I just reinstalled FH3 this week after deleting it at the start of the year, and it's a night and day difference for me. I get absolutely zero stuttering now, even in Surfer's Paradise. It runs super smooth everywhere.

6700K(stock)
980 Ti SC
SSD
16GB DDR4
1440P Acer G Sync

All settings Ultra, no dynamic optimisation, unlocked framerate, 1440P + 8x MSAA. I get 60fps+ the majority of the time with some minor drops into the mid-50's.

I have the same setup as you. Getting the same results, too :)

Oh shit they have updated the demo. The difference is massive, this is buttery smooth, huge turnaround from the old version. It has the very odd hitch here and there (seemingly whenever a notification appears at the bottom in the middle, like discovering a new road etc), not like it used to be though.

Damn this game looks good in 60+ FPS.

Can confirm the game runs with practically no stuttering even in the city right now. i7 6700hq, 16gb ddr4, gtx 1070, all stock.

I used to lock this to 30, not anymore.

Oh shit they have updated the demo. The difference is massive, this is buttery smooth, huge turnaround from the old version. It has the very odd hitch here and there (seemingly whenever a notification appears at the bottom in the middle, like discovering a new road etc), not like it used to be though.

Damn this game looks good in 60+ FPS.

Yeah, the patch when Hot Wheels was introduced made a massive difference. Wish it was like that from the start, it's a shame the performance pushed so many away from such an amazing racing game.

daninthemix

I'm going to be jumping up to 4K later today. What are the most demanding settings I can drop down to give me some headroom? (MSAA is a given)

I'm going to be jumping up to 4K later today. What are the most demanding settings I can drop down to give me some headroom? (MSAA is a given)

What hardware do you have? In my testing I found the Dynamic and Static Geometry settings to be two of the most demanding settings.
On my GTX 970 the Environmental Texture Quality setting appears to be the most demanding setting. I ran this on a RX 480 8GB with the Environmental Texture Quality setting on Ultra and it was flawless.

EDIT: I almost forgot, world car detail as well, so:

Dynamic and Static Geometry, World Car Detail and Environmental Texture Quality.

KageMaru

Can confirm the game runs with practically no stuttering even in the city right now. i7 6700hq, 16gb ddr4, gtx 1070, all stock.

I used to lock this to 30, not anymore.

I have the same setup and get a locked 60fps at 1440p.

Shadow and model quality would be my guess.

Fredrik

I love PC gaming so much!! And Play Anywhere!
I went out and bought a 1080Ti yesterday, the MSI Lightning Z, and my favorite console racer this generation FH3 now runs at 70-120 fps on my PC, without a double dip purchase, on three screens at 6000x1080 resolution with _every single thing_ at max! *happy tears* :)

Does anyone know how to successfully limit the framerate in this game? I'm trying to lock it to 60 max, but no matter what I do, whether it's the in-game limiter or in NVidia Inspector, it stays unlocked.

Any ideas?

leng jai

Think I will have to concede that yes, the game is 60fps now about 95% of the time at least on my setup. Still stutters but not enough to be annoying anymore.

I love this game but it crashes every session. Anyone else having stability issues?
I had that in the past but nearly always only when I started a new race and usually when I switched cars before starting. It would crash nearly every time. Then it stopped. When it happened, however, I could avoid it if I was in windowed mode. But like I said it stopped after a patch I guess. I haven't played it much recently but the last time I did it was stable.

Castaway

I have the same setup and get a locked 60fps at 1440p.

Shadow and model quality would be my guess.

MSAA takes a real hit at 4K even on i7-7700 4.20GHz with a 1080, but you might not have to turn it off.Try turning it down to 4X or 2X. At 4K, you don't need as much of it, but it's still nice to have if your rig can manage it.

Make sure FXAA is off. You don't get much bang for buck with that.

You also don't need 16X anisotropic filtering. 8X or even 4X is still great, and lightens the graphics load at 4K.

I finally got this game running decently after many months on my setup:

fx 6300 stock
4x2 GB RAM 1600 MHz
GTX 760 2 GB
Installed in a Samsung Evo 840

1080p 30 FPS with low textures and car level of detail. Then a mixture of medium and high settings with 2X MSAA. It has drops in busy races but I can live with that. I still believe it's poorly optimized as my setup is quite more powerful than an Xbox one and runs this game worse.

Cant believe how they got 4X MSAA at 1080p out of that machine.

Fredrik

This game is such a blast! Haven't had this much fun with a racing game in years! :D

Here is a new triple 1080p screen video
https://youtu.be/kHjWhSYlaYk

The 1080Ti Lightning Z can push this 6000x1080 output to 120fps with everything at max but the framerate still takes a hit sometimes for some reason, maybe my CPU/RAM, so here I've locked it to 72fps through the graphics menu which is still pretty fantastic.

At this point I honestly wish MS would just plain buy Playground, because I never want them to stop making Horizon games! Easily one of my absolute favorite devs right now!
Anybody know what Turn10 is responsible for in FH3 since they're credited?

Sygma

Finally decided to buy this back, since as many others at launch did I totally refunded it

i7 4790k @4ghz
16 gb ram
gtx 1080 msi gaming x

~60 - 80 fps in 4k maxed out (never goes under 60)

It looks pretty good but for some reason I thought the game was better looking at launch

Dynasty

At this point I honestly wish MS would just plain buy Playground, because I never want them to stop making Horizon games! Easily one of my absolute favorite devs right now!
Anybody know what Turn10 is responsible for in FH3 since they're credited?

Playground is good, staying where they are right now. They got a close relationship with MS and arent going to ever stop making Forza Horizon games in the near future since that brings in regular reliable work for the studio which is hard to find in this industry for independent devs. Them staying independent of MS gives them more flexability, they are currently working on a new IP with a second dev team they have created. If they stayed with MS they would have never been able to make a second dev team to work on a new IP.

I believe Turn10 and Playground both work on the Forza engine which is used for both Horizon and Motorsport, hence the credit.

Lichter

I don't know why it's doing this to me, the game is crashing during the first loading screen (after the main menu).

What are my options? I've installed the game twice so far, I don't want to re-DL it again.

Waaghals

I don't know why it's doing this to me, the game is crashing during the first loading screen (after the main menu).

What are my options? I've installed the game twice so far, I don't want to re-DL it again.

Are you on Win 10 insider preview?

Those updates regularly breaks the game like that.
Only solution is dropping out of preview.

Just when I thought I was homefree.

I just put together a new Ryzen box:

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.6 GHz
16GB DDR4-3200 RAM (Corsair Vengeance) @ 2933 MHz
Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 (F6 BIOS, haven't yet flashed to F7 yet, but the RAM seems stable at 2933 so ???)
GTX 1080

Driving around in Surfer's Paradise, 1920x1200 at Medium settings, and I can't seem to get higher than 40fps. Meanwhile other people with seemingly similar (and in some cases worse!) specs are bragging about 60fps at 4K. What gives? Is Horizon 3 fucking me AGAIN? This is a fresh install, too--new copy of Windows 10, latest Nvidia drivers, etc.

I've tried turning vsync on and off in the game, turned on and off threaded optimizations (doesn't seem to make a difference fwiw). Even turned MSAA off completely in favour of FXAA after reading the Digital Foundry article about MSAA destroying game performance. Nothing.

Just when I thought I was homefree.

I just put together a new Ryzen box:

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.6 GHz
16GB DDR4-3200 RAM (Corsair Vengeance) @ 2933 MHz
Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 (F6 BIOS, haven't yet flashed to F7 yet, but the RAM seems stable at 2933 so ???)
GTX 1080

Driving around in Surfer's Paradise, 1920x1200 at Medium settings, and I can't seem to get higher than 40fps. Meanwhile other people with seemingly similar (and in some cases worse!) specs are bragging about 60fps at 4K. What gives? Is Horizon 3 fucking me AGAIN? This is a fresh install, too--new copy of Windows 10, latest Nvidia drivers, etc.

I've tried turning vsync on and off in the game, turned on and off threaded optimizations (doesn't seem to make a difference fwiw). Even turned MSAA off completely in favour of FXAA after reading the Digital Foundry article about MSAA destroying game performance. Nothing.
You probably don't want to hear this, but it's on your side, not FH3's fault. I have 1700@3.8 and a 1080 (rest basically identical to yours) and have yet to see a noticeable drop - 1440p, dynamic settings on ultra. Sorry mate.

You probably don't want to hear this, but it's on your side, not FH3's fault. I have 1700@3.8 and a 1080 (rest basically identical to yours) and have yet to see a noticeable drop - 1440p, dynamic settings on ultra. Sorry mate.

I actually kind of do, because then it means there's theoretically something I can do about it.

So I installed MSI Afterburner to try and get more diagnostic information (no overclosking happening inside Afterburner from what I can tell), and switched on my second monitor to view the graphs. Fired up Horizon 3 again. ROCK SOLID 60. I'm going to run some more tests, but my initial thoughts are "wtf."

EDIT: Okay, yeah, that's definitely it. If I set my system to duplicate one screen across both monitors, I can't get above 40fps even on Medium. Switch my system to extend the desktop across two monitors instead, 60fps lock on High. That's... weird. I wonder if other games have this issue; I usually run duplicate and leave the other monitor off. Hmm. HMMMMMMMMM.

shanafan

I decided to load FH3 up on my 4K / 60hz refresh rate monitor to see how it looks. When I go into video settings, I can only set the refresh rate to 36 or 72. Is there anyway to match the refresh rate to that of my monitor? If I set it to 72, I get values in the 50s with my GTX 1070 and i7-7700. If I set it to 48, it's pretty steady at 48 but I feel I am losing the additional 12.

Thanks!

lazerfox

I decided to load FH3 up on my 4K / 60hz refresh rate monitor to see how it looks. When I go into video settings, I can only set the refresh rate to 36 or 72. Is there anyway to match the refresh rate to that of my monitor? If I set it to 72, I get values in the 50s with my GTX 1070 and i7-7700. If I set it to 48, it's pretty steady at 48 but I feel I am losing the additional 12.

Thanks!

You need to set your 4K 60hz monitor as primary monitor in the windows settings. Right now you probably have a 144hz as primary.

If you don't want to switch everytime you want to play Forza you can set up Big Picture Mode for steam to automatically switch your primary monitor. Add Forza with this tool to your steam library.

shanafan

You need to set your 4K 60hz monitor as primary monitor in the windows settings. Right now you probably have a 144hz as primary.

If you don't want to switch everytime you want to play Forza you can set up Big Picture Mode for steam to automatically switch your primary monitor. Add Forza with this tool to your steam library.

Oh, I don't recall seeing a primary monitor in the settings. I will do some more digging, thanks! (Makes sense too since my primary is 144)

Good tip about Big Picture mode.

EDIT: Now that I am thinking more about this.. do you mean change my primary monitor in my NVIDIA Control Panel?

lazerfox

Oh, I don't recall seeing a primary monitor in the settings. I will do some more digging, thanks! (Makes sense too since my primary is 144)

Good tip about Big Picture mode.

EDIT: Now that I am thinking more about this.. do you mean change my primary monitor in my NVIDIA Control Panel?

You can change your main monitor in the windows display settings.

thegh0sts

Neo Member

MSAA has been further optimized since launch and it's no longer a performance hog. the video is probably discussing the launch version and there have been subsequent videos about FH3 by digital foundry, naming their 4K on a budget series.

On another note, I get:

- a 4 second freeze when loading into the game world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esRc6RuANEE

- random hitching
- random /' rare fps drops

low-G

All you need is Settings > Apps, then you choose Horizon 3 and click "Advanced" to see/manage any DLC.

Trying to clear up space for F7... I realized you cannot uninstall the DLC if you've uninstalled the base game. The DLC files are still there. So now I have to reinstall FH3 to be able to uninstall the DLC...

At least my internet is uncapped and decent speed...

low-G

...AND that did not work...

So now there is several GB of SSD space locked up in files my OS cannot correctly locate and are protected by System-level permissions...

dr_rus

...AND that did not work...

So now there is several GB of SSD space locked up in files my OS cannot correctly locate and are protected by System-level permissions...

You take ownership and just delete them. Can't promise that it won't break something in MS Store though.

Btw, you can try going into the Store on the DLC pages and clicking "Pin to Start" there. After that you can right click the icon in Start and there may be an uninstall option.

anyone have recommended settings for this? im on a 7700k and a 1080ti

i'd like a locked 60 fps, happy to turn down settings as needed. don't really care about resolution or graphics settings, though i am on a 4k screen so that would be nice if possible

i'm currently set to 4k, threaded optimization on and dynamic graphics settings to high. if i change that to medium it actually runs worse. if i change my resolution from 4k to 1080p or 1440p there is no difference. i hit 60 fps regularly but drop frames all over the place

anyone have recommended settings for this? im on a 7700k and a 1080ti

i'd like a locked 60 fps, happy to turn down settings as needed. don't really care about resolution or graphics settings, though i am on a 4k screen so that would be nice if possible

i'm currently set to 4k, threaded optimization on and dynamic graphics settings to high. if i change that to medium it actually runs worse. if i change my resolution from 4k to 1080p or 1440p there is no difference. i hit 60 fps regularly but drop frames all over the place
Hmm. Not sure what to say as I have the same, Aorus 1080ti and 7700k plus 32GB DDR4@3000mhz and an SSD and I could get 4K@60fps 99% of the time even with MSAAx4. It would only dip in wet weather in the jungle area's when at the start of the race. Unfortunately I've uninstalled the game so I can't look at the settings. I didn't have dynamic on. I set the graphic settings myself (custom) to be at their highest. Try that perhaps?

low-G

You take ownership and just delete them. Can't promise that it won't break something in MS Store though.

Btw, you can try going into the Store on the DLC pages and clicking "Pin to Start" there. After that you can right click the icon in Start and there may be an uninstall option.

None of that worked. (Could not change permissions under any circumstances even with admin-level permissions)

I ended up using WinDirStat and IOBit Unlocker apps in conjunction with 'unlock and delete' option in IOBit Unlocker and that did the trick...

Now to reboot & see if the Windows Store is broken forever.

I figure it'll be OK because Windows already lost all contact with the files in question.

[update: Windows Store seems fine]

None of that worked. (Could not change permissions under any circumstances even with admin-level permissions)

I ended up using WinDirStat and IOBit Unlocker apps in conjunction with 'unlock and delete' option in IOBit Unlocker and that did the trick...

Now to reboot & see if the Windows Store is broken forever.

I figure it'll be OK because Windows already lost all contact with the files in question.

[update: Windows Store seems fine]
I'm going to have to take a look at this. I uninstalled FH3 from the Apps page in W10 and assumed it uninstalled everything as it would any game.

low-G

I'm going to have to take a look at this. I uninstalled FH3 from the Apps page in W10 and assumed it uninstalled everything as it would any game.

Check all your drives. For whatever reason the DLC was installed on my OS drive, I never installed FH3 Core to that drive.

Hmm. Not sure what to say as I have the same, Aorus 1080ti and 7700k plus 32GB DDR4@3000mhz and an SSD and I could get 4K@60fps 99% of the time even with MSAAx4. It would only dip in wet weather in the jungle area's when at the start of the race. Unfortunately I've uninstalled the game so I can't look at the settings. I didn't have dynamic on. I set the graphic settings myself (custom) to be at their highest. Try that perhaps?

will try that tonight, thanks. i also have the aorus 1080ti, and my ram is 3600 mhz so i dont think that should be an issue

i have had this game installed since launch, and all of the patches have been applied over top of one another as they came out. i'm wondering if i should just delete the thing and re-install it

Sami+

I played the demo two days ago at 100 fps, 21:9 with settings mostly between High and Ultra. Christ dude, that might have just about made it the most beautiful game I've ever seen. Caved and bought it last night lol, although I haven't gotten the chance to play yet.

GTX 1080
i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I played the demo two days ago at 100 fps, 21:9 with settings mostly between High and Ultra. Christ dude, that might have just about made it the most beautiful game I've ever seen. Caved and bought it last night lol, although I haven't gotten the chance to play yet.

GTX 1080
i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz

It gets MUCH better with the full game!

PowerK

Nvidia released a new driver v387.92 which provides performance boost for Forza Motorsport 7. By any chance, does anyone know if this new driver provides performance boost for Forza Horizon 3 as well ?

Nvidia released a new driver v387.92 which provides performance boost for Forza Motorsport 7. By any chance, does anyone know if this new driver provides performance boost for Forza Horizon 3 as well ?

What a coincidence to see that this thread got bumped while I was playing the game with the new driver!

The performance appears to have improved for me, from what I've played of it so far I'm now able to run the game at a locked 1080p 60 fps with 4X MSAA, 16x AF and all settings on high except for Motion Blur which is on Ultra and the environment texture quality setting which is on low.

I'm quite happy with the performance improvements on these higher graphical settings as I previously had to run the "Dynamic Geometry Quality" setting on Medium and set MSAA to 2X to get a locked 60 fps. With 4X MSAA the image quality is clearer now and the draw distance has increased with the higher Dynamic Geometry setting.

I'm not quite sure if there's headroom to run any of the other settings at Ultra as I haven't tested those yet but I'd like to experiment with them!

Some of my specs:
CPU: i7 4790k 4.6GHz
Ram: Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz DDR3 ram
GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 (Core - 1530MHz, Memory - 7630MHz)

PowerK

What a coincidence to see that this thread got bumped while I was playing the game with the new driver!

The performance appears to have improved for me, from what I've played of it so far I'm now able to run the game at a locked 1080p 60 fps with 4X MSAA, 16x AF and all settings on high except for Motion Blur which is on Ultra and the environment texture quality setting which is on low.

I'm quite happy with the performance improvements on these higher graphical settings as I previously had to run the "Dynamic Geometry Quality" setting on Medium and set MSAA to 2X to get a locked 60 fps. With 4X MSAA the image quality is clearer now and the draw distance has increased with the higher Dynamic Geometry setting.

I'm not quite sure if there's headroom to run any of the other settings at Ultra as I haven't tested those yet but I'd like to experiment with them!

Some of my specs:
CPU: i7 4790k 4.6GHz
Ram: Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz DDR3 ram
GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 (Core - 1530MHz, Memory - 7630MHz)
Indeed. What a coincidence. Heh
Many thanks for your feedback. The performance improvement you see is compared to the previous WHQL (385.69), right?

Indeed. What a coincidence. Heh
Many thanks for your feedback. The performance improvement you see is compared to the previous WHQL (385.69), right?

Sorry I think I was wrong about the driver improving the performance, however the performance appears to have improved, I'm just not quite sure what caused this improvement.

To test this I rolled back to 3 previous drivers and found that my PC's performance in Horizon 3 was fairly similar across all of the drivers I tested.
I started with the 387.92 driver and then rolled back to these three drivers: 385.69, 385.41, and the 384.94 driver from July 24th.

I'm wondering if there was an update between late August and October for Horizon 3 which improved the performance, as in late August I remember trying to run the game with 4X MSAA and getting performance drops below 60 fps which no longer occur. Or perhaps these performance improvements are related to the Windows 10 Creators Update as I updated to that in September and haven't played the game much since August.

Top Bottom