• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

So you can buy 1 month of Gold for £5.99 and get the standard edition for £24.99? Bit of a weird offer if you're a PC owner.

No updated demo yet I guess, that's annoying.

I get 75 FPS almost locked on a i5 6500 16GB RX480 8GB
On 21:9, so higher than 1080p

I think so

I notice the game on Windows store is $29.99 but it says if you have Gold. Uh...I'm on a fucking PC? lol

Why is this shit telling me about gold? Can I only get it at that price if I have Xbox Live gold?

I notice the game on Windows store is $29.99 but it says if you have Gold. Uh...I'm on a fucking PC? lol

Why is this shit telling me about gold? Can I only get it at that price if I have Xbox Live gold?

Yes.

Read like three posts above yours.

I did the same thing. Bought the 48 hr trial for literally $2 and then got the game and exp pass for the discounted prices.

yes. you get discounts if you have gold because those are play anywhere titles you get the xbone version too.

it's $85 without gold so still no microsoft.

Kei-

Should I buy Horizon 3 on sale for $30, or wait for Forza 7? I don't want both, not for $90 anyway. If I get Horizon now, I won't get 7 at all or until a year or so from release

KageMaru

Did the latest patches fix the issues with this game?

Can I get 60FPS+ on a 4690K 16GB RAM and 980 Ti? Higher even?

I get a locked 60fps at 1440p with Max settings on a 6700k stock, 1070, and 16GB of memory. I think you'll be fine.

Should I buy Horizon 3 on sale for $30, or wait for Forza 7? I don't want both, not for $90 anyway. If I get Horizon now, I won't get 7 at all or until a year or so from release

Which appeals to you more, an arcade opening world racer or a circuit racing sim?

MaDKaT

Very different games. Horizon sits closer to arcade while the numbered Forza games more sim.

Meelapo

Neo Member
Like most folks here I had to buy a month of Live Gold (couldn't find anything smaller) to get the expansion pass for Forza 3. I haven't tried the new zones but I've been having a blast playing the regular game on my PC. It's great and I get 60FPS @ 2560 x 1440P on Ultra everything (details below). My only complaint is that there's a lot of dirty noise/distortion coming from the speakers when playing this game. Not sure why.

i7-6700K @ 4.5 GHz
16 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1080
(game running on SSD)

Castaway

Like most folks here I had to buy a month of Live Gold (couldn't find anything smaller) to get the expansion pass for Forza 3. I haven't tried the new zones but I've been having a blast playing the regular game on my PC. It's great and I get 60FPS @ 2560 x 1440P on Ultra everything (details below). My only complaint is that there's a lot of dirty noise/distortion coming from the speakers when playing this game. Not sure why.

i7-6700K @ 4.5 GHz
16 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1080
(game running on SSD)

You don't need Gold to buy or use the expansion pass. You don't need gold to play online on PC either.

Hey guys. I got a digital copy of this so my son could play it on the Xbox and I could play it on my pc. I set the game to install on a 4 tb HD I have and it instead installed to my main SSD. Is there any way to move the install folder without redownloading it? And what do I need to do in order to make sure it actually installs where I tell it to?

Hey guys. I got a digital copy of this so my son could play it on the Xbox and I could play it on my pc. I set the game to install on a 4 tb HD I have and it instead installed to my main SSD. Is there any way to move the install folder without redownloading it? And what do I need to do in order to make sure it actually installs where I tell it to?

Settings - Apps - Click on Forza Horizon 3 - Move. You can also set the default app installation drive in Settings - System.

Kolle

Neo Member
Just bought the game with the discount and it's downloading now(at half the speed I get from steam..)
I have a few questions though,
1. If it's borderless fullscreen I have to set g-sync to fullscreen & windowed, right?
2. Should I increase the resolution or crank MSAA up to combat shimmering?
3. What does framerate smoothing actually do?

http://imgur.com/a/c66cq

^^ album

GTX1070 (mobile), 6700HQ (overclock settings in the link)

Locked 60fps via RTSS (minimal hitches), Ultra, 8xMSAA (MFAA enabled), NO FXAA (it's ugly), 1440p

It looks and runs incredible.

I have the 1060 3GB but the same CPU. I can't run it close to smoothly even at 1080p with most of the settings at medium-high.

Is this a function of the VRAM limitation? I only have 8GB of actual RAM which could be hamstringing it too. I wish I could figure out why games like this and Watchdogs 2 (also a CPU heavy game) run like absolute garbage on my laptop...I'm sure it's because I cheaped out and got the least expensive 1060 equipped laptop there was at the time but c'mon, I should be able to get at least playable results.

I asked MSI and they were like, "I don't know, have you tried updating the BIOS"...I told them about how the computer takes forever to open things and hangs on tasks way longer than the much lesser spec'd DELL I had. I got all the bloatware off the damn thing finally and now don't want to go bricking it by flashing the wrong BIOS for what would probably be an update that has nothing to do with my performance problems.

KageMaru

I have the 1060 3GB but the same CPU. I can't run it close to smoothly even at 1080p with most of the settings at medium-high.

Is this a function of the VRAM limitation? I only have 8GB of actual RAM which could be hamstringing it too. I wish I could figure out why games like this and Watchdogs 2 (also a CPU heavy game) run like absolute garbage on my laptop...I'm sure it's because I cheaped out and got the least expensive 1060 equipped laptop there was at the time but c'mon, I should be able to get at least playable results.

I asked MSI and they were like, "I don't know, have you tried updating the BIOS"...I told them about how the computer takes forever to open things and hangs on tasks way longer than the much lesser spec'd DELL I had. I got all the bloatware off the damn thing finally and now don't want to go bricking it by flashing the wrong BIOS for what would probably be an update that has nothing to do with my performance problems.

Have you lowered the texture and shadow settings to see if there are improvements? If that works then it's probably a GPU memory issue.

Invis

Just bought the expansion pass and I'm seeing that people are saying if you have both the expansions installed then you can't access the Mountain one on PC. Is this still true?

Just bought the expansion pass and I'm seeing that people are saying if you have both the expansions installed then you can't access the Mountain one on PC. Is this still true?

Don't worry, it has since been fixed! Or at least, I've had my access to both restored by a patch.

Have you lowered the texture and shadow settings to see if there are improvements? If that works then it's probably a GPU memory issue.

Tried both. Helped for about 15 minutes. Still microstutters everywhere though, which turn into full game freezes. Either VRAM isn't enough or my latptop has a bum hard drive and it's streaming issues? Idk but I've just about given up on this game. Read on this thread it had gotten better but it seems like those claims were exaggerated, at least by those using a video card with 3 or less GB of VRAM. It's basically unplayable which is garbage considering my laptop should be many times more powerful than an Xbox one

It should be totally feasible, I could run 4K 30 fps at somewhere between High and Ultra settings on my 1535MHz GTX 970, a 2GHz GTX 1080 is theoretically 2x faster than my GPU.

See? This. I have a hard time believing a system with a 970 can run the game well at 4K30. Your 970 has .5 GB more usable VRAM (at least that it has fast access to) than my 1060 and is otherwise inferior. Unless your definition of can run is drastically different than mine, part of my system must be broken because mine chugs at that resolution

Just got this and it looks great. Is 4k/60 feasible on a GTX1080, or should I leave it at 1080p?

I run at 4k/60 on my 1070 with everything on ultra except for MSAA and FXAA which I have off. I can drop top the mid 50s in certain areas where I am GPU bottlenecked, but a 1080 should handle that easily.

Been playing on PC the last few days

Getting a mostly solid 60 @ 1080p on high settings with a 6600k and GTX1060 6gb. Only dops are super small and super short lives so I am happy.

BUT sometimes the game will just randomly crash. Its happened twice now on the last lap of a race and that pisses me off. A few other random times. Not sure whats going on.

KRaZyAmmo

Been playing on PC the last few days

Getting a mostly solid 60 @ 1080p on high settings with a 6600k and GTX1060 6gb. Only dops are super small and super short lives so I am happy.

BUT sometimes the game will just randomly crash. Its happened twice now on the last lap of a race and that pisses me off. A few other random times. Not sure whats going on.

I've had the same thing happen to me on occasions. Running a i5-7600 and GTX 1060 6GB.

Well, bought along with the Expansion Pass, look forward to see how it runs on the old 2500k at 4.5GHz with the updates and how much it'll hold back my 1070.

You can buy the 48 hours for around 1$/1€.
Source: did it myself

Just did this though I used CDKeys (it's $2.59 there) instead since I don't have a great level of trust in eBay and didn't know how quickly I'd get a response and the main the seller I saw required at least ten feedback and I only have seven due to how little I've used eBay over the years. >_>

Also saw CDKeys is currently selling $50 MS gift cards for $42.99 so bought one of those too and on top of the discount they also still give 5% off codes for liking their FB page which nearly covered the 2 day gold membership and in the end, after sales tax saved an additional $6.70.
EDIT:
See? This. I have a hard time believing a system with a 970 can run the game well at 4K30. Your 970 has .5 GB more usable VRAM (at least that it has fast access to) than my 1060 and is otherwise inferior. Unless your definition of can run is drastically different than mine, part of my system must be broken because mine chugs at that resolution

A GTX 970 with its GPU core clocked at 1400MHz is around a stock 980 and a 970 running at 1535MHz is faster than your 1060 a 3GB which would have to be running over 2200MHz to match it, don't know what your 1060 runs at but assuming its stable boost clock is between 1708 and 2000MHz a 970 at 1535MHz would be between 23%-10% faster. The 6GB 1060 needs to hit 2GHz to slightly pull ahead but also does have the benefit of more VRAM. A good OC'd 970 is still no slouch as long as it isn't exceeding 3.5GB VRAM usage.

TheMan

so I have

geforce 750ti
16gb ram
intel i5 4690 3.2ghz

can I run the game now? The old demo would run poorly and gave me some warning about not having enough memory. Thanks for the help!

so I have

geforce 750ti
16gb ram
intel i5 4690 3.2ghz

can I run the game now? The old demo would run poorly and gave me some warning about not having enough memory. Thanks for the help!

On low-medium at sub 1080p and 30fps maybe. The 750Ti isn't going to cut it anymore. Your CPU and RAM are fine.

Just got this and it looks great. Is 4k/60 feasible on a GTX1080, or should I leave it at 1080p?

No 4K60 at high-ultra is not really realistic on a 1080, I'm getting ~45fps with a 2050MHz 1080. Supersampling it at 1440p - 1620p gives you 60fps and the benefit of better IQ so do that.

Solid 30 fps, I was shocked that it runs so well.

How much ram do you have? This game appears to be quite intensive on system memory and VRAM.

I remember running it at this before the latest performance patch and was flabbergasted. MSAA had to go, but I was, and still am able to run the game at 4K 30 fps with custom High settings, the custom High aspect is something I forgot to mention.

It was obscene to me, as running High-Ultra settings at 1080p 60 was a struggle at that point in time as there were some occasional dips and stutters to the mid-low 50s, yet I was able to run the game at 4K 30 fps with the same graphical settings at a solid 30 fps, at 4K 30 fps my GPU is pushing 2x more pixels than 1080p 60, it didn't make much sense to me and deeply implied that the game was failing to utilize the CPU properly when trying to run the game at 60 fps. Fortunately this is no longer the case and I am able to run the game at 1080p 60 fps with slightly higher settings then I have on display below.

These are the settings I'm using right this moment for 4K 30, there might be some wiggle room here but I haven't really tested 4K lately so I'm not too sure.

My 1080p 60 fps settings are quite similar to this, with maybe two or all of the reflection settings on Ultra:

iNX0reS.jpg
xJPqJhd.jpg

UQVudPf.jpg

Ignore the Snow quality setting, I don't have Blizzard Mountain so I have no idea how it performs with it set to Ultra.

You have a GTX 1060 3GB, which has 128 less cores and 3GB less VRAM than a GTX 1060 6GB, at the same clock-speed a 1060 6GB is theoretically 11.1% faster.

My GPU at 1535MHz would be theoretically 10.8% faster than a GTX 1060 3GB at 2GHz.

The game varies hugely in how demanding it is being open-world so you tend to get wildly inconsistent reports from people in this thread based on how much they've played and what events they've done.

WipedOut

Basically with everything turned on to ultra, I'm hitting 4k 60FPS on a 1080ti / Ryzen 1800x, occasionally when I go through towns it dips mid 50's but that is very rare.

1440p I average between 100-125 FPS with max settings

The 3Gb version of the 1060 can't handle Horizon 3, i had to switch to a 1070 now i am in the paradise.

Gestault

Performance continues to satisfy. Though after a recent Nvidia "game ready" update, I had an interesting scenario:

Before, when I was supersampling from 4K to 1080p using the Nvidia panel's DSR factor, Horizon 3 wouldn't recognize the virtual resolution and would max at 1080p. Which was whatever. I set my resolution back down to normal 1080p, because I was gonna play for a bit. After this update and a system restart though, initially at least, the game resolution defaulted to 4K. It didn't seem to actually be rendering at that, but the menu thought it was. Just an oddball thing. I set it to 1080p, and everything's standard now.

MaLDo

Performance continues to satisfy. Though after a recent Nvidia "game ready" update, I had an interesting scenario:

Before, when I was supersampling from 4K to 1080p using the Nvidia panel's DSR factor, Horizon 3 wouldn't recognize the virtual resolution and would max at 1080p. Which was whatever. I set my resolution back down to normal 1080p, because I was gonna play for a bit. After this update and a system restart though, initially at least, the game resolution defaulted to 4K. It didn't seem to actually be rendering at that, but the menu thought it was. Just an oddball thing. I set it to 1080p, and everything's standard now.

This game is always windowed (borderless or not), so final resolution will be always your desktop resolution. The resolution option is for rendered resolution that will be upscaled or downsampled to final resolution.

I get a locked 60fps at 1440p with Max settings on a 6700k stock, 1070, and 16GB of memory. I think you'll be fine.

Which appeals to you more, an arcade opening world racer or a circuit racing sim?

Really? I mean, please test the Tramline Sprint race in Surfer's Paradise. Do you have locked 60 fps through all the race?

Gestault

This game is always windowed (borderless or not), so final resolution will be always your desktop resolution. The resolution option is for rendered resolution that will be upscaled or downsampled to final resolution.

I understand that, but the two situations I described were times the game wasn't acting as expected. In one, my desktop resolution was 4K, but the game itself was capped to 1080p (the resolutions above that weren't even displaying). And this time, my desktop resolution was set to 1080p, and the game defaulted to 4K. In both cases, I reset the system after changing the resolution and before starting the game. Neither showed the normal benefits of downsampling.

Just installed this and getting a lot of micro-stutter.

I am running native max frame rate and native resolution on a Gsync 1440p 165hz monitor with Vsync and framerate smoothing disabled. Any advice?

Top Bottom