• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

Fredrik

I'm running the same 1440p @ 60fps locked dynamic settings at ultra, no crashes for me after hundreds of hours. i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), GTX 1070. I also have 32GB RAM, which is a nice buffer, if overkill. Thrustmaster TX wheel/pedals and XB1 controller, depending on my mood. No other custom tweaking.

The wonderful world of PC gaming, where every single player in the world has a different hardware/software/driver/accessory/display setup. The variables....
The performance makes up for everything imo, one crash so far but I'm so not touching the XB1 version anymore after trying the PC version at 60fps. Basically the only thing that has bothered me with the Forza Horizon serie since the start is the framerate. And now it's 60fps. Sooo awesome.

lionpants

Just finished building a badass 1080ti, 7700k rig.

I tried playing this at launch on my 970 and it ran like shit.

Can this do 4k at 60fps yet?

Still unable to play this game :(...

Latest AMD drivers make the game crash on the initial loading, apparently a known issue I read on reddit.

So reverted drivers to an older version (recommended by reddit), now game boots but there is artifacts all over the game, decide to play regardless, game crashes to desktop after a while of playing...

Sigh, every other single game on my machine runs fine.

Blizzard mountain loading issue has been resolved. It was an issue with the windows store (surprise surprise). Explains why it was taking playground and turn10 so long to run it down.

Always harder when the issue lies outside of your direct control.

The issue with it not loading if you have Hotwheels installed?

My wild guess: turn off game mode if you have Creator's Update.

already done

Have you been able to identify some demanding situations where it dips? Maybe someone with a similar rig could take a look at the same areas and see how it behaves for them?

I'm on a 980ti and I'm currently getting 60-to-70fps at 6000x1080 resolution with between high-to-ultra graphics, which imo feels frickin awesome since I'm used to play this on console at 30fps.

it's honestly everywhere

Since a few days ago, game just crashes to desktop. Re-installed, same issue. Wtf? Took a look online and there are various suggestions but none have worked.

Also, game didn't appear in Add/Remove Programs either time it was installed, which seems weird, but according to Store it's installed and playable.

Fuck you Microsoft.

Castaway

Since a few days ago, game just crashes to desktop. Re-installed, same issue. Wtf? Took a look online and there are various suggestions but none have worked.

Also, game didn't appear in Add/Remove Programs either time it was installed, which seems weird, but according to Store it's installed and playable.

Fuck you Microsoft.

Are you by chance in the Windows insider program?

Are you by chance in the Windows insider program?

I am not.

This is especially annoying because I recently upgraded my system and either that or an update to the game or both finally did away with the fucking micro-stutter. And I was able to enjoy it for a full 2 games before this started happening.

BubbaMc

When I was playing a few weeks ago, I was able to select 60fps in the graphics settings. This was great because the display was locked to 60fps with no input lag.

The 60fps setting no longer appears to be there, only unlimited fps.

Anyone know how I can get it back? Or any workarounds I can use to lock the video output to 60fps?

samred

Just finished building a badass 1080ti, 7700k rig.

I tried playing this at launch on my 970 and it ran like shit.

Can this do 4k at 60fps yet?

My 1080 Ti / 4770k combo hits 4K/60 with everything near max. Later patch optimizations got it there, it seems.

Izuna

Banned
Yup, genuine Amiga 1200. I had to make a choice and, well, the keyboard and mouse for the PC ain't nearly as pretty ;) so they're hidden in the drawer beneath.
MbWVUeL.jpg

The Amiga is connected to the monitor to the right :)
eg0EzaH.jpg

Are you single? 😍

When I was playing a few weeks ago, I was able to select 60fps in the graphics settings. This was great because the display was locked to 60fps with no input lag.

Anyone know how I can get it back? Or any workarounds I can use to lock the video output to 60fps?

Enable Vsync.

lcd

edit: already answered

Izuna

Banned
RTSS can't add FH3 to specifically control its framecap. You have to use Nvidia Inspector for UWP apps.

Not true, I use RTSS for it and it works fine. The latest version (dunno if beta) works.

I need to because my laptop has a native refresh rate of 75hz, and I would rather cap the framerate to 60.

Gestault

Anyone know an easy fix for supersampling at 4K to 1080p? Something changed in an older update, so with the Nvidia Panel resolution set @4K, the game doesn't give a resolution option above 1080p.

Izuna

Banned
Anyone know an easy fix for supersampling at 4K to 1080p? Something changed in an older update, so with the Nvidia Panel resolution set @4K, the game doesn't give a resolution option above 1080p.

Try readding the custom resolutions if that's what you're using.

Not true, I use RTSS for it and it works fine. The latest version (dunno if beta) works.

I need to because my laptop has a native refresh rate of 75hz, and I would rather cap the framerate to 60.

You can only set a global framecap if you want it to apply to UWP apps since RTSS can not access FH3's main exe. I want to be able to control each individual app's performance so I'd rather use Nvidia Inspector.

Re-enable DSR in Nvidia control panel, it resets after major driver updates.

Izuna

Banned
You can only set a global framecap if you want it to apply to UWP apps since RTSS can not access FH3's main exe. I want to be able to control each individual app's performance so I'd rather use Nvidia Inspector.

edit: seems that you can't edit the file permissions or w/e

meh

You can with the latest beta, just launch FH3, go to RTSS, ctrl+click on the "Add" button and you can select the active processes you want to add profiles for, FH3 included.

Exactly. No way I'm using Vsync.

What does everyone set their framerate to in RTSS?

I'm still using Vsync because whatever FPS limit I set in RTSS induces massive amounts of tearing.

Okay so been playing around with this game today and with new amd driver(17,5,2) i finally can play the game without waiting to load forever...
But just now encountered a weird thing.
Got the game on ultra @ 1200p, with 4xmsaa(just used the ultra preset).
Now it ran fine at around 55-60 fps.
Suddenly when i drove in to the jungle it dropped the fps (at that time at around 55) to 34 fps and lower. Out of nowhere...
I was already deep in the jungle so wasnt the jungle itself.
And when i drove out the jungle it stayed at high 40's...
Checked the frequencies of gpu and cpu etc and they didnt change.
Temps were fine, so dont know what it was but damn it was weird...
Also didnt run out of vram.

SPecs:
x5670@4.4ghz 6cores 12 threads.
rx480@ 1400mhz 4gb@1870mhz
12gb ram @ 1771 mhz

ACH1LL3US

Need some help guys.

Got a 6850k and Titan X Pascal.

I am getting serious hitching and stuttering whenever I try to make a turn in the game.

Anyone experience this?

Happens both at stock settings for system and overclocked.

This baffles me as with the last patch everyone said the performance is so much better yet as for smoothness I am not seeing this.

At 4k I never dip under 60fps, in game settings make no difference in regards to the stuttering and hitching when trying to turn the car in the game :(

Chris R

Latest patch did make the game run a WHOLE lot better on my rig.

Still getting some hitching ow and then though :( I've tweaked a ton of video settings, wondering if it's a CPU limitation instead since my 3770k is kinda old.

Might try overclocking it and seeing if that fixes the hitching.

Castaway

Need some help guys.

Got a 6850k and Titan X Pascal.

I am getting serious hitching and stuttering whenever I try to make a turn in the game.

Anyone experience this?

Happens both at stock settings for system and overclocked.

This baffles me as with the last patch everyone said the performance is so much better yet as for smoothness I am not seeing this.

At 4k I never dip under 60fps, in game settings make no difference in regards to the stuttering and hitching when trying to turn the car in the game :(

This also happens with Vsync set to ON, and framerate set to LOCKED 60fps?

ACH1LL3US

This also happens with Vsync set to ON, and framerate set to LOCKED 60fps?

Yes!

Oddly I only get the hitching and stuttering when turning in the open world, when in single player races the game is butter smooth.

Does the game use the internet in the open world? I have horrible horrible dsl internet with 1meg upload and 15meg download, could this cause the problem in the open world of the game but not in single player races??

Castaway

Yes!

Oddly I only get the hitching and stuttering when turning in the open world, when in single player races the game is butter smooth.

Does the game use the internet in the open world? I have horrible horrible dsl internet with 1meg upload and 15meg download, could this cause the problem in the open world of the game but not in single player races??

Drivatars get loaded in the beginning, so that shouldn't have an impact on performance once you're playing. Suppose you could try playing offline, see if that changes anything as a process of elimination. Or turn off drivatar designs in the options, see if that changes anything (that will stop loading liveries for AI cars, but again that shouldn't have anything to do with turning causing performance problems). Got all the right drivers for your setup? Are you using a wheel?

Sucks how this game somehow seems hit or miss for performance, no matter what.

Update on my own issue:

Game was crashing to desktop despite re-installs but I had to restore from system image recently. Installed once more and thankfully it worked.

Running on a 7700k @ 5Ghz and a 1080Ti OC'ed to hell, both on water.

Max settings, 3440x1440, smooth as butter. Playing with a DS4, having the rumble, everything displayed on a Dell 34" ultrawide and this is without question the best racing experience I've had since probably WipEout on PlayStation.

When this game works like it's supposed to, it is really special.

Meccs

They have a sale currently. I am on PC (4670k, RX480) and would like to know if they improved the performance and whether the Hot Wheels DLC is worth it?
I played the Demo a while ago and could hit solid 60 but had mini freezes/stuttering from time to time. It really wasn't fun to drive that way...

Top Bottom