• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

_DrMario_

Played about 2 hours so far.

970GTX
i5 3570k @ 3.8 GHZ
16 Gigs of RAM
Installed on a SSD

Settings are everything High, 4x MSAA, 16x AF, no Vertical Sync, no FPS smoothing, no dynamic anything, FPS locked at 30fps, 1080p.

I get some slight hitching here and there but nothing to stop me from playing on PC. Never drops below 30 fps.

It's good enough for me. I spent hours playing FH2 at 30 fps and it always felt fine.

I'm going to be playing on XBox 1 later tonight (on the same monitor), just to see the difference.

Isomac

I set the game to 30 fps and the game controls a lot worse than on console. It feels impossible to control well.

GRaider81

Playing at 1440p I get frequent drops to lowest 45 especially in races. Haven't been to surfers paradise yet.

Playing on ultra 1440p 4xMSAA

4690k @ 4.4
16gb RAM
SSD.

Not too happy with it then though the game is brilliant.

Side note it's fantastic having an open world game driving on the correct side of the road though I'm so used to being on wrong side it's taking some adjustment!

Manac0r

Ok,i fixed MOST of the stuttering on my PC. I have a 980ti and a gsync monitor (X34). Here's what worked for me.

Turn off Gsync
Set Vertical Sync to Fast in Nvidia Control Panel
Turn on Vertical Sync in game
Lock your framerate (on my monitor its 50 because I'm running OC'd at 100mhz)
Framerate Smoothing (on in game)
Dynamic Optimization (off in game)

Basically you want to adjust whatever settings you can to get a locked fps with as little fluctuations as possible.

I have zero stuttering/hitching now,the only hitches I get is when the framerate drops to 48ish when alot of stuff is happening on screen. The random hitches every few seconds,even in open areas,are gone now. HUGE improvement for me.

Quoting this as it has given me rock steady 55fps locked... No stutters or hitches.. I salute you good Sir!

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
this fucking download man, taking all goddamn day. sitting here at 19 gigs for the last 30 minutes. this shit is frustrating me hard.

core i7-2600K
8GB RAM
Titan X (Maxell)

playing at 1080p w/ details set to HIGH except.
no MSAA OR FSAA, no Motion Blur.

48-60 FPS, doesnt stay constant.
installed on Sandisk SSD.

dreamfall

i7 3770K
16GB RAM
Titan X
Not on an SSD

I can't do much. It a jittery mess when not locked to 30, I tried DF's 4K/MSAA off/and it hovered between 45-60, hitching all over the place.

So I think I'll have to concede and just lock it to 30, maybe run it 4K with that - it's just weird that the settings even when dropped don't have much of an effect for me. I tried 1440, no MSAA and it still was in the same range 45-60. Maybe it's my rig, but I'm having Quantum Break UWP nightmares again...

anyone having issues downloading it from the MS store? Mine keeps stopping at around 7.45 GB. Says it's downloading but it's not changing from 7.45 GB

edit: now it's going. fuckin slow ass download

this fucking download man, taking all goddamn day. sitting here at 19 gigs for the last 30 minutes. this shit is frustrating me hard.

I really hope they fix this store soon, because its horrible and slow, and appears to be incapable of verifying and resuming downloads properly, I dont have any of these issues with uPlay, Origin and Steam.

The Windows 10 store drove me crazy while downloading Halo 5 Forge, what especially annoyed me was that 30+ GB in the download stopped and wouldn't start again. I restarted my PC and it decided to delete what it had downloaded and restart... I spent another day downloading it because of this, ugh.

dr_rus

According to this Ars Technica article the developers are aware of the hitching.

''A Microsoft Studios spokesperson confirmed that the specific hitching issue I noticed in some otherwise smooth scenarios has been replicated by the game's PC development team; "you can expect a game update to fix this issue in the near future," the representative told Ars. Those gains may not come from DirectX 12-related fixes, however, as the representative confirmed that this engine is already built on a DirectX 12 foundation.''

The fuck is a "DirectX 12 foundation"?

I watched 2 videos. One of them was before the new nvidia driver which ran at 55-60fps. The second one (with the new driver) was pretty much a locked 60fps.

Don't look at the fps counter, look at the video, it's pretty apparently stutters even though the fps number remain at 60.

Welp that's another BSOD right after quitting the game. Same 0xD1.

I have run this overclock stable for ages and tested loads of games but FH3 doesn't seem to like it :(

dr_rus

Is the game 30 or 60 fps on Xbox One btw? I'm guessing it's 30? That would explain all the issues people having reaching 60.

dr_rus

And I can reach 60 fine, it's just the stuttering is killing me.

That's the issues I'm talking about. If the game's engine (especially the streaming and resources preparation part) is coded for 30 fps then there may be some issues reaching 60 even on a vastly more powerful h/w. They'll probably fix it with patches.

LostDonkey

That's the issues I'm talking about. If the game's engine (especially the streaming and resources preparation part) is coded for 30 fps then there may be some issues reaching 60 even on a vastly more powerful h/w. They'll probably fix it with patches.

They never did with The Crew.

That game has the same problems.

A tip: just because you have a high-end PC doesn't mean you should turn every setting to the max. Most PC games these days come with settings that are just not worth it.

Take Syndicate for example, drop shadow quality from "PCSS ultra" to "high", and "HBAO + ultra" to just "HBAO +" and you'll gain 10 fps. With minimal impact on visuals.

I've been a PC gamer for most of my life and am aware of this. Whenever I can't maintain a stable 60fps I tinker with settings until I'm happy.

Pretty sure he's talking about framepacing and not average framerate.

Indeed. Many recent AAA PC games have had at least a few instances of severe judder. Take Deus Ex for example, which runs in the 70s-80s for me 90% of the time, and suddenly drops to 45-50 in places. Same with Mirror's Edge.

Anyone here playing with gsync?

And maybe with a wheel?

I have the game downloaded and ready to go but I have to wait a little longer before unleashing my Titan X pascal (and be underwhelmed, judging by the thread...).

From my experience the issues are mostly due to sub optimal asset streaming and CPU utilization, I (and lots of other people) can hold 60fps with acceptable hardware in less asset intensive areas, but the stuttering when entering a new area and in the city is very evident, also the stuttering was there for some people and some not in Forza Apex so I doubt this is a global engine issue.

Melpontro

Played for a few hours last night with my 980 ti.
Rock solid 30 fps at max and I didn't notice any stutter. Couldn't seem to hit 60 fps with any of the settings combinations I tried but luckily the 30 fps lock here works better than the one in Quantum Break.

Played for a few hours last night with my 980 ti.
Rock solid 30 fps at max and I didn't notice any stutter. Couldn't seem to hit 60 fps with any of the settings combinations I tried but luckily the 30 fps lock here works better than the one in Quantum Break.

Try enable maximum performance in the nvidia control panel. You should reach 1080p or even 1440p60fps easily in most areas and races.

DarkStream

Alright, just tried the game.
Stutter is all over the place, FPS around 55-60. Stutter doesnt seem to be related to FPS.

3700k @ 4.4 GhZ
Gtx 970
16 GB RAM
G-Sync Monitor

Tried 1440p and 1080p. Same performance at high. Same stutter too.
Coupled with crazy bad pop-in for vegetation.

I'm kinda disappointed so far :-( Do the devs know about the issues?

Bravoexo

Wow, just tried it out.... it does work in Nvidia Surrouind mode... and getting better fps too.could it be like in NBA2K17 were SLI only works in Surround? Afterburner doesn't register load on GPU 2 however...

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I really hope they fix this store soon, because its horrible and slow, and appears to be incapable of verifying and resuming downloads properly, I dont have any of these issues with uPlay, Origin and Steam.

The Windows 10 store drove me crazy while downloading Halo 5 Forge, what especially annoyed me was that 30+ GB in the download stopped and wouldn't start again. I restarted my PC and it decided to delete what it had downloaded and restart... I spent another day downloading it because of this, ugh.

Yeah man, this is seriously beyond frustrating. I've never purchased a thing off of the MS Store until now. It's sitting at 34.17 gigs now. not moving for the last 15 minutes.

Enclose

Alright, just tried the game.
Stutter is all over the place, FPS around 55-60. Stutter doesnt seem to be related to FPS.

3700k @ 4.4 GhZ
Gtx 970
16 GB RAM
G-Sync Monitor

Tried 1440p and 1080p. Same performance at high. Same stutter too.
Coupled with crazy bad pop-in for vegetation.

I hope so. This needs to be fixed.

Etaber

Yep. It was ok for me last night but after coming home from work I can't get past the splash screen.

I found the following in the windows event log
"Activation of app Microsoft.OpusPG_8wekyb3d8bbwe!OpusReleaseFinal failed with error: Unknown HResult Error code: 0x87e107e0 See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information."

Maybe that will mean something to someone in the know.

Coolade

Source: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/09/forza-horizon-3-performance-framerate-and-4k-tests-in-windows-10/

A Microsoft Studios spokesperson confirmed that the specific hitching issue I noticed in some otherwise smooth scenarios has been replicated by the game's PC development team; "you can expect a game update to fix this issue in the near future," the representative told Ars.

I did:

Reboot PC
Disable Avast (not uninstall)
Reinstall Nvidia drivers from scratch through geforce experience
Disable microphone
Unplug second screen

Nothing does it, won't go past that splash screen.

jacobeid

Banned
Man, my download just restarted with less than a gig left. And now because of the anniversary update (required) I have to use fucking Cortana to search my own computer.

Fuckkkkkkkk this. Pretty annoyed right now.

Don't buy this POS on PC right now.

I'm trying to be optimistic that MS will fix the hitching, but this exact same issue has existed in Forza 6 Apex since its release and while they've improved it a bit, it's still there today.

Momentary

Banned
Can't access dlc in game or anything. Can't even go to the Window store within the game without it crashing. I find it hard to believe that they tested this game on PC and releasedo it like this. I mean this is happening to everyone n it seems like.

Top Bottom