• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

What I'm playing in between crashes I really love. Great racing game and looks amazing. Just hope they fix these crashes soon.

Is there anything in your windows event viewer after the crashes?

For me the game has been very stable. I've played over 24 hrs and I've only crashed once

I'm seeing the game for 54€ on cdkeys (70€ on the MS store) and I'm really tempted to jump in and try my luck. Do you think I should?

i5 6600k @ stock (can OC if needed, I'm water-cooled)
16Gb @ 3000
GTX 1080
SSD

E: 1440p monitor, will play at 30fps and DSR if smooth. Want 60fps but obviously not doable yet.

Hwoar

Yeah ill try it out. To be honest the game has some issues so not really sure how it will run. I had to wipe my machine and rebuild it and it actually started to run at 60. Before it was a hot mess. Game is on an ssd also. On my wifes pc it was in a 5400 rpm disk and every time i would drive by an xp sign the game would freeze like it was trying to save but it would just shit out.

I think I won't jump in right now. :( With a 1070 I would want / expect flawless performance with decent gfx settings.

Hi, since I got a new rig with a i7 6700K and a new MB plus DDDR4 I decided to reinstall windows 10.

I also reinstalled ReCore with no issues at all, but with FH3 I always get this error:

0x80D06802

I can't find anything in internet about it.

Playing the game on 1080p at medium with a near solid 60fps, I get occasional dips down to 55-58, but they're pretty infrequent. The game pretty much plays perfectly.

Specs:
Geforce GTX 1070
i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz
8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
Windows 10 Pro

I tried setting the game to high, but the stuttering happened significantly more often.

kagamin

Playing at 900p (my monitor's resolution) at dynamic high and getting pretty consistent 30 fps (though I'm often getting a running low on VRAM message).

Specs:
Geforce GTX 960 2GB stock
i5-4690k stock
16GB DDR3 RAM
HDD

Synth

As for Surfer's Paradise, the biggest way I've found to address performance issues in races is just by forcing all of the races to take place at night. -_-

692a9e8e1c0390c60bf58eec6315cc78e13c993eb85ddc9775ad8c288bac1a31.jpg

roytheone

i7 860 @ 2.8Ghz
GTX 970
8 GB DDR3 RAM

Didn't even come close to the game running well. 10 FPS chugging and full second pauses.

I have a new CPU, motherboard, RAM, and Fan on the way so I really hope that stuff gets me what I'm looking for.

My new setup will be:

i5 6600k 3.5 GHz (Will be overclocking)
GTX 970
16 GB DDR4 RAM

I was looking on DigitalFoundry and found that a similar setup can run ULTRA 8xMSAA pretty steady at 30 FPS. Would be nice if someone with a similar setup could chime in on their experience.

Forza Horizon 3 PC 1080p 60fps Performance Problems In-Depth Analysis

Ugh. My setup is an :

I7 870 @ 2,93
GTX 970
8 GB RAM

Judging from this, I should just stay away from the game until fixed?

Ugh. My setup is an :

I7 870 @ 2,93
GTX 970
8 GB RAM

Judging from this, I should just stay away from the game until fixed?

The 8xx i7s can clock up to 4GHz+. You can get probably get a good 2 years out of that combo on the CPU side if you crank the clockspeed up.

roytheone

The 8xx i7s can clock up to 4GHz+. You can get probably get a good 2 years out of that combo on the CPU side if you crank the clockspeed up.

I have had very little success with overclocking my cpu, 3,2 is the highest i ever got with it being stable. Doesn't help I can't reach the back side of my mobo without removing it which means I am confined to push pin coolers :(

Bravoexo

this is a really minor thing but has anyone else had the problem of once a windows store game installs the shortcut icon vanishes and its just a blank icon. Forza did this and now Gears 4 has, quantum break was fine and still is.

Need to refresh your icon cache. They got corrupted.

I have had very little success with overclocking my cpu, 3,2 is the highest i ever got with it being stable. Doesn't help I can't reach the back side of my mobo without removing it which means I am confined to push pin coolers :(

I could be wrong but I seem to remember my old H50 AIO had a push-pin setup.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Really amazed how well this runs! i5 6600, GTX 970, 16gb DDR4 RAM. I was a bit concerned. Running on "Medium" at 970p but with all effects turned on so I guess it's really "Custom", have it set to dynamically shift the quality to maintain a solid 60 and it really works!

This is my first modern racing game beside Mario Kart 8 since Burnout Paradise and it's a lot of fun. Have it set up with all assists maxed and it almost feels like another Burnout to me. I love that you don't need to take a deep dive on tuning and you can just enjoy the racing. Very fun.

Okada

My current setup is 1440p, 8x MSAA, FXAA and a mixture of high and ultra.

I'm using Process Lasso to set the priority and affinity automatically and Nvidia Inspector to limit to 60fps.

I get a constant frame (minor dips to 57 is worst I've seen but I have a Gsync) rate with no stuttering.

That's with a GTX 1080 and 3770k.

Absolutely loving the game now.

John Wick

I'm seeing the game for 54€ on cdkeys (70€ on the MS store) and I'm really tempted to jump in and try my luck. Do you think I should?

i5 6600k @ stock (can OC if needed, I'm water-cooled)
16Gb @ 3000
GTX 1080
SSD

E: 1440p monitor, will play at 30fps and DSR if smooth. Want 60fps but obviously not doable yet.

You missed out there were fellow gaffers selling keys for $30-40 earlier today

John Wick

I got the game today. So what can I expect with my setup. I'll only be playing at 1080p
I7 5820k @3.8ghz
16gb Ram (3000mhz)
MSI 970GTX
Been wanting to buy a GTX 1080 but don't want to pay Nvidia's ridiculous pricing.

I'm in the same boat, hoping my i3 and R9 380 will be up for the challenge.

I'm playing the game with these parts. Got an i3-6100 that's overclocked using the base clock multiplier trick, a Sapphire R9 380 with a factory overclock (Nitro), and DDR4 RAM running at 2640mhz. Game runs beautifully as long as you're willing to accept 30fps. Managed to get 60 on medium settings but it was unsteady, so pumped up the graphics to high/ultra and it's an all but a perfect 30 everywhere except Surfer's Paradise, that area is just fucked. I get CTD's and horrendous performance without seemingly any reason.

Miker

What's the verdict on input lag at 30 fps? Is it something everybody is getting? What are the arcane workarounds people are using for it?

leng jai

What's the verdict on input lag at 30 fps? Is it something everybody is getting? What are the arcane workarounds people are using for it?

It's fine for me, the game was clearly designed for 30fps. There's several guides on how to fix input lag in this thread.

Ruruja

Game's running at a solid 30fps at 1080p with Medium settings.

Specs are nothing special:

i5-4670k at 3.4GHz
R9 280 3GB
16GB RAM

Just letting others know with similar systems that you can run it well and it still looks reasonable. My only concern is black squares flickering on textures now and again but I think that might be the dynamic optimization setting?

EDIT: I tihnk the squares have disappeared since I've set it to Medium and restarted the game.

Vitor711

Doing Ultra at 30FPS on a 2560x1440 monitor with 4x MSAA on:

i5-4690k
16GB RAM

Frame Pacing is good but input lag is *barely* noticeable but still there and the shadow draw in is awful. Can't tell if that's bad AF or just the shadow maps coming in to close to the camera.

Any ideas?

Cyanity

Banned
Man, I'd love to know what it is about my setup that lets me run it downsampled from 4k, maxed out with no stuttering at all on a 6600k and a 1070...

leng jai

Man, I'd love to know what it is about my setup that lets me run it downsampled from 4k, maxed out with no stuttering at all on a 6600k and a 1070...

Have the same setup and can do the same, assuming you mean 30fps. The game doesn't look that good to be honest, and it runs at a locked 30fps on Xbone and the PC version doesn't even look that much better.

Man the performance is terrible on PC, it hitches and stutters like crazy. I'll have to lock it to 30fps, which is insane. I've got 16gb of RAM, i7 4790k, r9 390.

dsk1210

So is everybody's sound wrong when watching replays of your run?

Sounds like the car is just peddle to the metal without any braking. Ruins the replays.

Man the performance is terrible on PC, it hitches and stutters like crazy. I'll have to lock it to 30fps, which is insane. I've got 16gb of RAM, i7 4790k, r9 390.

I have it locked to 30 on a Titan X. Too many stutters to make 60 worth it, still feels good.

What a shoddy port though, really one of the worst in recent memory.

Padinn

I get massive stuttering in the loading screen with this setup:

i7 6700k @ 4.5 ghz
16GB DDR4 @ 3200
Gigabyte GTX 1080 Premium (~2050 core speed).
SSD (MX100)

I did do a return and got a refund. For whatever reason the game still lets me load it up, so I check periodically to see if its improved and I haven't seen it. Will probably repurchase once they fix it.

Forgot to add that this happens regardless of what settings I use.

gZu6i2e.png

Played the game fine earlier this week. Now when I launch it, it hangs here.... Restarting didn't help. :(

IS this before or after the playground/turn 10 screens ?
I had the same problem, what i did is i went to settings of windows, then system, then apps, then click on horizon 3 and select advanced options, then click reset settings i guess it is in english(im dutch and my windows is in dutch to). ANd after this it reseted the game.
Then open game and you have to sync with your savegame etc, all the settings are reset.
This helped me when i was getting an crash to desktop after the turn 10 logo, it should go fullscreen when the logo is playing and there it crashed for me.
Hope it helps.

Zurick

Banned
IS this before or after the playground/turn 10 screens ?
I had the same problem, what i did is i went to settings of windows, then system, then apps, then click on horizon 3 and select advanced options, then click reset settings i guess it is in english(im dutch and my windows is in dutch to). ANd after this it reseted the game.
Then open game and you have to sync with your savegame etc, all the settings are reset.
This helped me when i was getting an crash to desktop after the turn 10 logo, it should go fullscreen when the logo is playing and there it crashed for me.
Hope it helps.

Unfortunately the game doesn't even exist according to my apps. Gonna try redownloading it. I never even got to the turn 10 logo. Just that blank screen.

What a piece of shit.

Padinn

Anyone else confused about how the Vsync and FPS cap setting work in my game? Regardless of what I set them to the ingame FPS counter says 60. Does it extrapolate it out or something?

TheRed

Anyone dealt with constant crashing? My friend has an i5 4690K and gtx 770 4gb his temps and usage are all good on medium locked to 30 but it always crashes within 5 minutes of play.

He's gonna have to refund it if he can't get it working which would suck because he really wants to play it.

w0s

I know this sounds wrong but something between nvidia inspector and the new update made my game way worse. Limiting the frames caused all kinds of stuttering and completely mucked up the xbox one wireless adapter. had to roll back the update and reinstall my adapter :( Oh well I will be happy with 30fps until they hopefully patch it.

Anyone know how to get this game added to geforce experience? I installed it on another drive than normal, added the folders but it just wont find it

Popsickles

What I found to help a lot is find which settings run best for you then reset through the advanced app settings, then dial them in on restart. The game will run the optimising process again. Also run disc optimisation as it installed all over the place on my system causing serious fragmentation. I am now running all manual high settings 4x msaa at mainly 60fps very little stuttering even in surfers on an fx6300 and rx470. If you run a 3Rd party defrag program it cannot move Horizon as the files are protected you have to use the built in app.

I have it locked to 30 on a Titan X. Too many stutters to make 60 worth it, still feels good.

What a shoddy port though, really one of the worst in recent memory.

With a 1070 even 30fps feels like it stutters. This game is all over the place and it really is an awful port.

It's fine for me, the game was clearly designed for 30fps. There's several guides on how to fix input lag in this thread.

Yeah running the game at 30fps it does feel like that's how the game is meant to be played for reasons I can't explain

Caayn

What I wonder is how can the XB1 version run without a problem and how did the pre-release PC demos run such as the E3 demo booth.

Anyone know how to get this game added to geforce experience? I installed it on another drive than normal, added the folders but it just wont find it
Sorry, can't help as it has been added automatically for me.

Interestingly it says in Experience that I should have Vsync off and frame rate variable. Nvidia obviously assumes that I can get more than 60fps (and actually I can) but a variable frame rate really isn't the best option especially in a game that has frames go all over the place.

Top Bottom