• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

Does this game work offline? Mine won't even load without a connection. I wouldn't be surprised if network access was causing stutters for people.

Animator

What the shit is going on. Haven't had a single crash in 13 hours in this game and all of a sudden today I am hard crashing to desktop left and right. Was there a patch or something?

jrcbandit

The game doesn't seem that stuttery at ultra at 1440p on a 1070, unless I am modding a car - for some reason that causes a ton. But actual racing/driving I very occasionally get dips to 55 FPS but it is more often than not at 60 FPS. Haven't tried the CPU affinity stuff yet which could potentially eliminate all stuttering but I was expecting a much worse situation after reading up on it here.

LilJoka

Does this game work offline? Mine won't even load without a connection. I wouldn't be surprised if network access was causing stutters for people.

I beleive you need a net connection to get the decryption keys at startup. Pull the net connection afterwards and it should continue to play.

I beleive you need a net connection to get the decryption keys at startup. Pull the net connection afterwards and it should continue to play.

When my connection is cut or goes down the game quits without warning. I had it happen right at the end of a Goliath race once.

Bravoexo

There are no warnings.

Are you looking at the Event logs?

Edit: I would check the info messages right after a crash. Usually the nvidia driver would be posted with the crash error code. (not as an error, but an info message. but it gets posted at the same time with the Microsoft Opus error log entry.

Anyway, have you tried the Auto detected settings?

Sky87

There are no warnings.

Ok, i've had the game crash once, and the display driver crashed at the same time. I see some people also reporting this behaviour on their forum. The same happened to me on No Mans Sky before it was patched. I think it's the stuttering that sometimes makes it seem like the driver is timing out. NMS used to stutter like crazy as well, and that's when i used to crash.

People crashing could check their reliability history as well (search for it in the taskbar). Mine looked like this at the time of the crash: http://i.imgur.com/SBzUoVL.png

''Hardware error'' being the TDR event.

Bought the game hoping it would run okay on my 6600k 980ti but I got terrible performance and stuttering making it unplayable. Tried all suggestions on here but none fixed the issue. Asked for a refund from microsoft support and they gave my money back immediately. Very dissappointed as it was one of my most anticipated games of the year.

Just got to the desert outback festival and it's running much better. Stuttering is tolerable at 60fps.

16gb ram

The more strain there is on the GPU the less it stutters for me. I think playing on ultra at 1080 with shadows on high + 8X MSAA has helped. I don't know though, this game is just such a mess technically.

Bought the game hoping it would run okay on my 6600k 980ti but I got terrible performance and stuttering making it unplayable. Tried all suggestions on here but none fixed the issue. Asked for a refund from microsoft support and they gave my money back immediately. Very dissappointed as it was one of my most anticipated games of the year.

Only reliable solution for me has been locking the game at 30fps with nvidia inspector

Bravoexo

What the shit is going on. Haven't had a single crash in 13 hours in this game and all of a sudden today I am hard crashing to desktop left and right. Was there a patch or something?

Performance went down on me when Defender was scanning and then a notification popped up saying it was all done. Performance was back up.

Bravoexo

Here, it just crashed again.

And the earlier crash:

The first listed error is pointing to connectivity. It "was terminated because it took too long to suspend." seems to indicate some resource is unreachable at that point in time.

Try a few things, if you have time.

Check if the Forza Hub app is installed.
Check the network diagnostics tab in the Xbox App. (check if the Teredo adapter is connecting)

FaintDeftone

Running the game on:

Core i7 4790k
GTX 970
16GB RAM
1TB 7200RPM WD Black

I can run everything on ultra as long as I cap the framerate at 30. So I basically have a nicer looking Xbox One version. If I uncap the framerate it hovers around the mid 40's. I guess it's fine but I would much rather it be able to hit 60 with my hardware. Maybe the 970 is starting to show some age or the game is just that unoptimized?

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Running the game on:

Core i7 4790k
GTX 970
16GB RAM
1TB 7200RPM WD Black

I can run everything on ultra as long as I cap the framerate at 30. So I basically have a nicer looking Xbox One version. If I uncap the framerate it hovers around the mid 40's. I guess it's fine but I would much rather it be able to hit 60 with my hardware. Maybe the 970 is starting to show some age or the game is just that optimized?

I'd pull some settings down, 40s seem kinda low as an avg. Some settings are not realistically noticeable while playing and you can get better IQ elsewhere I personally think. I have a 970 and do a mix of med-high, have DSR at 2.5x with fxaa on and its gorgeous since that hides all the aliasingflicker while staying sharp, and this is at 50-75fps (there are some bad spots like the oil factory that dip to 30). I do have gsync thougj so I can't say if the fluctuations would be bad or not. Maybe adaptive would help.

zma1013

Apparently I have to uninstall my Avast antivirus just to get this game to boot up? Anyone else find a workaround for this?

Invis

Apparently I have to uninstall my Avast antivirus just to get this game to boot up? Anyone else find a workaround for this?

Not sure if you need to uninstall Avast, but it has been confirmed to cause launch issues. If putting the FH3 folder in your exceptions doesnt work, nor does temporarily disabling Avast, then you might need to get rid of it (for the moment atleast).

Kickz

I got a fh301 error at the start but my graphics card is updated. When I click ingnore it, the game still crashes anyways.

Cant get passed the starting screen. Anyone else run into this??

I had to uninstall Avast as temporarily disabling it didn't work. Don't know if making an exception would work as I assumed it wouldn't if FH3 couldn't run with it disabled.

Samaritan

Same specs; the only solution I found was to cap my framerate to 60 IN-GAME. This reduced stuttering almost entirely. Literally everything else didn't work for me.

FaintDeftone

I'd pull some settings down, 40s seem kinda low as an avg. Some settings are not realistically noticeable while playing and you can get better IQ elsewhere I personally think. I have a 970 and do a mix of med-high, have DSR at 2.5x with fxaa on and its gorgeous since that hides all the aliasingflicker while staying sharp, and this is at 50-75fps (there are some bad spots like the oil factory that dip to 30). I do have gsync thougj so I can't say if the fluctuations would be bad or not. Maybe adaptive would help.

I set the preset to High and unlocked the framerate and I get a mixture of 60fps in fields and forests and it dips all the way down to 30fps in city areas. Normally this way it rides on average in the mid 50's.

I had the game crash on me in the middle of a race too that I was almost done with. I think I'll just stick with the Xbox One version until they patch this a few times.

Miker

Ugh, I'm getting lots of input lag at 30 fps, and this is with vsync off in-game and using nVidia inspector for a 30 fps lock w/ max prerendered frames=1. It's really obnoxious and makes me not want to play at all until they get a patch out. I don't think input lag is listed in their "known issues" thread on the official forum either :(

Jeffrey

been looking at this game recently... and whatever happened to there being a pc demo?

Not sure how my setup will run at 1440p. 980ti is fine, but i think my 3570k will be a bottleneck.

Is there a decent option setup that can get me stutterfree 60fps?

Or should i just wait for patches first?

Chaser324

Banned
been looking at this game recently... and whatever happened to there being a pc demo?

Not sure how my setup will run at 1440p. 980ti is fine, but i think my 3570k will be a bottleneck.

The demo is still coming at some point. I'd suggest just waiting for it if you're concerned about performance. With your CPU, I don't think a solid 60fps is something you'll be able to achieve with the game in its current state.

I'm running the game on mostly ultra at 1440p with 8x msaa at a locked 48 fps (if unlocked the fps ranges from 50 to 80 fps), only settings I turned down were mirror to medium, windshield reflection to medium, and reflections to High. 1070 @ 2GHz and 6700k @ 4.5 GHz. I really don't get how others with specs similar to mine or slightly below (980 ti, i5, etc) get significantly worse performance. I suggest trying the dynamic setting as well as that also works great.

IMACOMPUTA

I have the same exact setup as you. My 3570k is oc'd to 4.5 ghz.

I have to lock it at 30fps because the framerate is too inconsistent between 40-60 otherwise. Makes it feel like shit.

That being said, I'm able to down sample from around 4K with 8xmsaa and all settings max and still keep 30fps 99.99999999999% of the time.

The game feels decent at 30fps (I've never said this before).

Dying for a patch so I can play at 60fps but the game is totally playable at 30fps.

LilJoka

They said the demo for PC will come after release. Seeing as it performs like crap we won't see one for some time.

Getting mostly 60fps at 3440x1440 21:9 (Ultra, except Shadows on High and 2x MSAA)

i7 4770K @ 4.3, 16GB RAM, 980Ti SLI (although only one card is being used) and game is installed on a 1TB SSD.

Even when the GPU usage is around 80-90% I get random stuttering even though the FPS is at 60. Game is still very playable (and a lot of fun), just hoping the next patch can iron out the hitching.

John Wick

Some people can run it at 60 with perfect pacing and no stuttering. The only way a game can be designed for 30 is if the logic is tied to a fixed 30fps, which it isn't. Unless of course there are certain aspects of PC hardware that can't physically reach twice the performance of the console. Asset transfer maybe?

To be honest, it's pretty magical the Xb can maintain 30fps through some of the intense wet jungle races. I don't know how it does it.

Maybe because the game was designed from the ground up for the Xbox 1?
Maybe the PC port isn't fully optimised?

Patrick S.

Banned
Turning on 8x MSAA does indeed reduce stuttering. I deactivated the 50 fps lock I had set in nvidia inspector and turned on 60 fps limit + vsync in the game to try it out, and it runs very nicely. It occasionally drops to 56 or so fps, but the game doesn't stutter so horribly while doing so. I'll be playing like this from now on.

It does use more CPU now, my 4690k is at 4.2 ghz and yesterday usage spiked to 96 or 97%, which is around 5% more than when I had the game locked at 50 fps.

I'd overclock the CPU a bit more, but my system crashes after a few minutes with this game at that speed. I could play around with the CPU voltage, but I don't really want to do that.

I'm running on a 5820K, 980Ti, 1440P, using the GeForce experience optimized settings and turned v-sync on in game. It's a smooth 60fps for the most part, but there are occasional dips into the 40s. No noticeable stuttering though. When I had the frame rate unlocked there was some stuttering and lots of screen tearing though. I tried playing at 30fps but 60 just feels much better despite the occasional dips. It's not perfect, but far from unplayable.

Turning on 8x MSAA does indeed reduce stuttering. I deactivated the 50 fps lock I had set in nvidia inspector and turned on 60 fps limit + vsync in the game to try it out, and it runs very nicely. It occasionally drops to 56 or so fps, but the game doesn't stutter so horribly while doing so. I'll be playing like this from now on.

It does use more CPU now, my 4690k is at 4.2 ghz and yesterday usage spiked to 96 or 97%, which is around 5% more than when I had the game locked at 50 fps.

I'd overclock the CPU a bit more, but my system crashes after a few minutes with this game at that speed. I could play around with the CPU voltage, but I don't really want to do that.

8XMSAA in addition to in game 60fps vsync made the game actually playable for me so that's how I've been playing as well.

leng jai

What so now we're saying turning MSAA up to 8x improves stuttering? It definitely doesn't eliminate aliasing that's for sure.

I know this is the performance thread, however since this is for PC gamers I'll ask here as more of you would know then just people playing on XBOX.

Hey guys I'm playing on Windows 10 and the game is fun as hell, however all 3 Pre-Order cars are not showing up in game, I redeemed the codes.

Am I supposed to get them Instantly? or do I have to buy them?

I entered the following 3 codes:

Amazon:2016 Audi R8 V10 plus
Microsoft: 2016 Mercedes-Benz C 63 S Coupé
Microsoft: Halo Warthog

My game is still stuck on 1.0.10.2 is that the latest patch? It says last modified 27/9/16.

LostDonkey

It's now telling me I'm not VIP anymore and asking me to pay 16 quid for cars I already have in my garage before I can use them.

Fucking hell.

Adry9

Any news on the first patch? It sucks having FH3 in your library and not being able to play it because it's a broken mess.

How much RAM do you have? I have a similar set-up and it runs fine for me when it auto detected settings. I then tried the suggest nvidia settings via the GeForce Experience optomized settings and got bad input lag.

Top Bottom