• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

If you have a high end i7, avoid ultra settings and are incredibly lucky you *can* avoid the general stuttering, but you still have;

1. Occasional (almost certainly asset streaming related) big tanks in framerate that recover almost instantly (similar to the drops seen when navigating upgrades)

2. Longer lasting framerate drops caused by certain GPU killing environments (heavy rainforest, wet roads, lots of AI cars, the sea)

I can see them resolving the general cpu stuttering, but the other stuff, eh, probably not.

Porcupine

Probably because of its UWP nature. It was only April this year that you were able to control volume for individual UWP programmes. It seems the feature is still being developed and not all applications are supported yet. This is a post from an MS developer: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/...0_build_14316_you_can_now_control_uwp/d21abp8

Basically because UWP applications don't really close, you would see every UWP programme you'd ever run in the volume mixer, so they just hid all UWP apps from the mixer and shipped like that (lol). Now they're getting around to making it actually usable. Enjoy your experience beta testing for Microsoft. Upvote the feature request on Windows Feedback Hub!

Oh man, that's ridiculous. The game itself is great, but every technical aspect of it on PC is horrible.

Yaqoub

What is the latest build number (or most current build number) after the latest update to FH3? Would like to know if I got the update here or not.

I'm basically spamming Alt + Enter so that it goes fullscreen as soon as possible. Preferably before the logos. I'm running the drivers from last month and I've got an "error" message each time I'm launching the game, saying that I don't have the latest drivers and if I want to continue or quit. It stays like this indefinitely and I've got plenty of time to go fullscreen lol.

LOL this game and all the workarounds have been hilarious!
Thanks for the early morning laugh.

Side note my game already seems to be running smoother! It can sense the incoming patch!!

BiggNife

Core i5 4570
GTX 1070
16GB RAM

With the framerate locked to 30fps, it's totally fine on high settings. I get some minor stuttering here and there but it's pretty uncommon so it isn't a big deal.

Having said that, trying to bump the fps to 60 basically makes it unplayable. It drops to 40-50 all the time, and turning off AA/reducing the image quality to medium doesn't seem to help at all.

It's totally playable at 30 but, damn, I really wish 60fps was feasible.

This is definitely my first and last UWP game.

That's strange, have you tweaked the game with task manager?.

With my brothers PC (GTX 1080 - i7 4770K) the game runs on ultra settings MSAAx8 at 4K between an average of 45fps, some areas at 55-60fps and other rare intensive areas at 35fps.

No stuttering at all, but again...tweaking the game on task manager every time we run it.

I mean, the game runs like crap in modest hardwares but this performance at 4K with a single 1080 for me is ok.

I haven't tweaked CPU priority in task manager. Is that known to provide noticeable benefits for this?

It's good to know, that i get, normally, between 60-70FPS. The performance on this is just way too varied.

Caayn

So is there any info on what time this update hits? It's currently 15:25 in western Europa and even later in countries east of us.

GlamFM

Banned
Did the smartest thing today!

Locked the frame rate to 50. Now i only get suuuuper rare dips to high 40s.

Running everything on ultra at 1080p with 1.50x oversampling.

Hale_C

So is there any info on what time this update hits? It's currently 15:25 in western Europa and even later in countries east of us.

No info yet I don't think. The tweet that the patch was coming came late last night UK time, so I wouldn't necessarily expect the patch to arrive during 'working hours'. Here's hoping though...

Can anyone tell me (I'm not at home) which settings manipulate the pop-ins of foliage etc.?

I'm not at my computer but I think it's the dynamic geometry setting. It says in the setting description when you highlight it.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
PC Changelog, update should be live in less than 3 hours : http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/t...a-Horizon-3-10-4-16-Update-Release-Notes.aspx

Today we will launch the latest content update for Forza Horizon 3 on both Xbox One and Windows 10. We expect this update will go live around 10 a.m. Pacific. This latest update also includes numerous improvements for both the Xbox One and Windows 10 versions of Forza Horizon 3. These improvements include:

Windows 10
- Fixed a performance issue on Windows 10 that caused stuttering with high or unlocked framerates on certain hardware configurations
- Improved stability on Windows 10
- Disable mouse move detection while driving
- The Windows 10 video options screen will no longer ask users to save when no changes have been made

- Additional options have been added to the Windows 10 Advanced Controller Menu. These include:
o Steering wheel sensitivity
o Invert Force Feedback
o Centre spring scale
o Damping scale
- Fixed a problem where pre-order cars and the Halo Warthog were not appearing in the Windows 10 version of the game for some players

Wheel Improvements
- Logitech G27 is now registered correctly on Windows 10, so the correct default mapping will be applied
- All wheels with enough buttons have had the horn added to their default mappings on Windows 10
- Fix to dead zones for acceleration and braking axes on wheels
- Default mappings for all TX Racing Wheel variants
- Fixed a bug where custom input mappings would not save successfully

General Improvements
- The Social and Rivals tabs will now unlock for players with Xbox Live Silver accounts
- Fixed a bug where the racing line would sometimes disappear
- Controller hot swapping is now available. Players can switch between controllers/their keyboard whenever they choose (including the wheel)
- Various content fixes for cars

In addition to the fixes above arriving with today’s update, the teams at Playground and Turn 10 are working on addressing further known issues in Forza Horizon 3 including force feedback and wheel support, general stability and performance, and more. Look for more details on these improvements in the future.

Always love these patch notes "issues on certain configurations". Certain configurations being 99% of people haha.

Anyway, here's hoping this sorts a lot of the hitching.

so they fixed how Windows 10 recognizes the G27 finally? I fixed it with a work around ages ago but it used to recognize it as another wheel by default.

AsianOni

No word on the photomode bug? I'd like some details on what the "content fixes on cars" means. Sounds? Glitchy appearances?

Maybe some things like this:
dYkKCPW.gif

terrible

Banned
I had it with 30fps as well. I don't think that you can put 30fps under the 'high framerates' umbrella.

Yep, I get the stuttering at 30 FPS myself. Badly. Best part is my GPU usage hovers around 30-40% with my CPU around 50-60% when capped like that so there's no obvious explanation.

Maybe some things like this:
dYkKCPW.gif

I was thinking that, as well as the random black rims glitch, and the fact that sometimes your dials will be invisible and you can see the road through the dash.

I was hoping more along the lines of specific issues though, like the fact that basically every inline 6 car uses the same sound as the BMW M4. Kinda kills the enjoyment in the R34 and Supra.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Yep, I get the stuttering at 30 FPS myself. Badly. Best part is my GPU usage hovers around 30-40% with my CPU around 50-60% when capped like that so there's no obvious explanation.

Look at CPU core usage, not global usage, the first core does too much and get to 100% most of the time in dense areas (Surfers Paradise, forest) thus it's the bottleneck and it produce stutter.

We'll see with the patch if they better balanced CPU cores load.

AsianOni

I was thinking that, as well as the random black rims glitch, and the fact that sometimes your dials will be invisible and you can see the road through the dash.

I was hoping more along the lines of specific issues though, like the fact that basically every inline 6 car uses the same sound as the BMW M4. Kinda kills the enjoyment in the R34 and Supra.

I haven't driven the M4 for long but I don't remember it sounding the same as the RB. Will test now.

EDIT: damn you're right. :/

AsianOni

Make sure you're on chase cam. I believe the actual sounds coming from the engine are unique, but the exhaust is identical.

Yeah I'm mostly using the chase cam anyway.
Well, that's annoying to hear. :/ The sounds were good in FH2.
This feature was actually added purposely to simulate the mdma/coke effects one would typically see at such festivals.

Either that or my Drivatar was too excited to drive an NA V6.

GRaider81

Just got a refund on ultimate edition. Such a great game, i tried so hard to just get on with it but constant stutter and drops down to 40 fps on a 1080, 4690k.

2 games now on UWP and two busts for me.

1 bright light is superb customer service from MS who had no probs giving me back my £80 despite having 20+ hours played. They were also super nice, almost too nice lol

Despite that i'm not buying a game from them again.

Afro

Just got a refund on ultimate edition. Such a great game, i tried so hard to just get on with it but constant stutter and drops down to 40 fps on a 1080, 4690k.

1 bright light is superb customer service from MS who had no probs giving me back my £80 despite having 20+ hours played. They were also super nice, almost too nice lol

Wait dude stahp there's a patch in ~2 hours lol.

terrible

Banned
Look at CPU core usage, not global usage, the first core does too much and get to 100% most of the time in dense areas (Surfers Paradise, forest) thus it's the bottleneck and it produce stutter.

We'll see with the patch if they better balanced CPU cores load.

You're right. I guess I should have said no obvious "acceptable" explanation. The game leaves a lot of power on the table. Poorly optimized.

marrec

Banned
I'm very happy with my performance now, but the drops to 50 or even 45 in some places are still baffling, especially as it's not at all consistent. I'll drive down a street in Surfers Paradise at 60-65fps and and a ton of other cars, then go back down the same street and get drops to 45fps.

Same in the outback, though less often.

The CPU Affinity and Priority fixes definitely made the stuttering and hitching almost entirely disappear though so it's super playable and looks amazing.

I'd hope for more FPS optimization in this patch, we'll see I guess.

Taking the pss a little bit there mate, you can roll the credits in 20 hours.

I'm very happy with my performance now, but the drops to 50 or even 45 in some places are still baffling, especially as it's not at all consistent. I'll drive down a street in Surfers Paradise at 60-65fps and and a ton of other cars, then go back down the same street and get drops to 45fps.

Same in the outback, though less often.

The CPU Affinity and Priority fixes definitely made the stuttering and hitching almost entirely disappear though so it's super playable and looks amazing.

I'd hope for more FPS optimization in this patch, we'll see I guess.

Don't know much about technical aspects of games but it feels like the game has issues streaming areas and can't keep up when driving fast sometimes. I get some bad stutters when doing 180's sometimes in surfer's paradise

Seventy70

I really do wonder why CPU usage is so high for this game. If it runs on Xbox, it should have absolutely no problem with desktop CPUs. Another thing is the high GPU usage. If I drop the game from 4k to 1080p, the usage stays the same and I still can't get a solid 60fps.

Hopefully this new patch fixes those things. I'm guess the CPU thing is due to the encryption, but I guess we can't be completely sure.

Don't know much about technical aspects of games but it feels like the game has issues streaming areas and can't keep up when driving fast sometimes. I get some bad stutters when doing 180's sometimes in surfer's paradise
It does. You can get framerate drops, turn around and then drive the exact same road again and the framerate will be perfect be cause the assets have all loaded. Sometimes just pulling your car to a stop, you can watch the framerate recover slowly back to 60fps when nothing in the scene is changing.

Diancecht

I really, really want to play this one! But I don't want to dish out 50 quids and not be able to play the game at stable 60 fps.

I have an overclocked 980ti, 8 gb ram and i7 6700K@4.5. What do you guys think about my chances for 60 fps at 1080p? I watched bunch of benchmark videos and the fps seems all over the place.

Top Bottom