• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

Patrick S.

Banned
I really, really want to play this one! But I don't want to dish out 50 quids and not be able to play the game at stable 60 fps.

I have an overclocked 980ti, 8 gb ram and i7 6700K@4.5. What do you guys think about my chances for 60 fps at 1080p? I watched bunch of benchmark videos and the fps seems all over the place.

Don't sweat it, even 30 fps is great. Despite the technical problems, this is my GOTY by far.

KevinG

I can't get past the "Optimizing for your PC" loading screen. Makes it most of the way through then crashes. Says I don't have my graphics driver updated, but I have the latest version. Radeon R9 380 - Driver Packaging Version
16.30.2311-160718a-305076C, but it says I need 21.something which doesn't exist.

Hale_C

I really, really want to play this one! But I don't want to dish out 50 quids and not be able to play the game at stable 60 fps.

I have an overclocked 980ti, 8 gb ram and i7 6700K@4.5. What do you guys think about my chances for 60 fps at 1080p? I watched bunch of benchmark videos and the fps seems all over the place.

Wait for responses to the patch, or a demo. You are unlikely to get solid 1080/60 with that rig right now, as only the beefiest of machines are escaping the stutter/hitching with unlocked framerates. It isn't bad at 30fps but it's just not the same as 60, especially in terms of responsiveness.

Diancecht

Don't sweat it, even 30 fps is great. Despite the technical problems, this is my GOTY by far.

Really? I have migraine so badly implemented 30 fps murders my brain but if the frame pacing is right with this one, I can lock it to 30 no problem.

Wait for responses to the patch, or a demo. You are unlikely to get solid 1080/60 with that rig right now, as only the beefiest of machines are escaping the stutter/hitching with unlocked framerates. It isn't bad at 30fps but it's just not the same as 60, especially in terms of responsiveness.

Got it.

Hale_C

Really? I have migraine so badly implemented 30 fps murders my brain but if the frame pacing is right with this one, I can lock it to 30 no problem.

Yeah, the frame pacing is actually decent in this, but you might still end up with stutter at 30fps regardless (seems to vary by machine). Digital Foundry praised the frame pacing.

funo

I can't get past the "Optimizing for your PC" loading screen. Makes it most of the way through then crashes. Says I don't have my graphics driver updated, but I have the latest version. Radeon R9 380 - Driver Packaging Version
16.30.2311-160718a-305076C, but it says I need 21.something which doesn't exist.

You need to install the non WHQL beta drivers.
Radeon crimson 16.9.2 Hotfix

This will fix your issue.

mintyice

i5 4670k @ 4.2ghz
Strix GTX 970
8gb DDR3
installed on a 5400rpm drive

I get 50-65 FPS on all medium except world detail at ultra. Dropping it to mediummakes the game look worse, but runs the same. MSAA x4, filtering at 8x. I haven't had a chance to mess with all the other settings yet.

1440p / Gsync

Had the same thing happen to my R9 380. To fix it I updated Crimson to the beta release which has FH3 fixes/optimizations.

Bydobob

I really do wonder why CPU usage is so high for this game. If it runs on Xbox, it should have absolutely no problem with desktop CPUs. Another thing is the high GPU usage. If I drop the game from 4k to 1080p, the usage stays the same and I still can't get a solid 60fps.

Hopefully this new patch fixes those things. I'm guess the CPU thing is due to the encryption, but I guess we can't be completely sure.

It's mostly just using one core that's why. Have a couple of logs saved and it's the one thing that sticks out a mile. Cores 2,3 and 4 are hardly used even when 1 has reached max.

Surprised you're getting the same GPU use at 4K though. Ran logs at 1080 and 1440 (downsampled) in the same race and the usage drops at 1440 were less severe and frequent.
1440 dipped below 95% 7 times with a lowest recorded usage of 89%.
1080p and GPU use dropped below 95% 15 times with a low of 73%.

This is over a 3 and a half minute race with OC'd 6700k/980ti, unlocked framerate at max settings except MSAA x4 and FXAA off.

I haven't seen many posts about VRAM, it takes up around 5Gb. Might also be contributing to stutter on some people's rigs.

Got it.

The game runs mostly locked 60fps at 1440p maxed out on 980ti 4790k outside the city or when I get to the front of the pack in a race but there is literally nothing you can do about the stuttering. Even if your CPU was clocked at 5ghz I can't see there would be any escape.

The game will still be very playable on your system.

Hale_C

I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't model the underside of cars. I wonder if it's a bug or they just didn't bother

That would be a pretty big undertaking for something only a small minority of players would notice/appreciate. Did previous Horizons have it?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Probably good unless the RAM is a factor. I have a 970 (not overclocked), i7-4790k @4.0 and 16GB of RAM it mostly runs well for me in 1080p. Vast majority of the time it's between 55-60 with no stuttering. Just the occasional stuttering everyone seems to get in dense jungle, fog, around tons of cars in the city etc.

I've occasionally gotten bad stuttering (drops down into the 30s) after playing a few hours straight, but a restart clears that up. Also sometimes got stuttering if launching the game through the Xbox app, so I just started launching from a desktop short cut (still get achievements, but not popup notifications) to avoid that.

Plus, hopefully the update coming to day will help the stuttering issue a lot. In any case, not a lot of risk as MS is pretty good with giving refunds via support chat if you end up not getting good performance. Though maybe wait for impressions on the update today just to see if it makes a big improvement for folks.

i5 4670k @ 4.2ghz
Strix GTX 970
8gb DDR3
installed on a 5400rpm drive

I get 50-65 FPS on all medium except world detail at ultra. Dropping it to mediummakes the game look worse, but runs the same. MSAA x4, filtering at 8x. I haven't had a chance to mess with all the other settings yet.

1440p / Gsync

Move it to at least a 7200rpm HDD.

Guys, when you talk about stuttering, are you referring to how the game will literally freeze for 2 seconds at random times and then suddenly resume? Because that's happening to me, and the game is borderline unplayable when it happens. My system is within recommend specs too.

Afro

Thanks guys and sorry, I've just read the current page.

I can already smell the popcorn. Let's do this.

lyEh7T2.gif

So it's meant to be update time now.

I know it's never usually perfectly on time, but how do we even check it's available on PC? There's no obvious "check for update" thing.

membran

I know it's never usually perfectly on time, but how do we even check it's available on PC? There's no obvious "check for update" thing.

There is a "check for update" button in Windows Store App -> Profile Icon -> Downloads and Updates.

FX-GMC

Go into the Store and click on your user picture to the left of the Search box. Go to Downloads and Updates. Click Check for Updates.

EDIT: Beaten

Posted a few pages back but didn't get an answer. Sorry for the bump:

Is anyone else having the text in game being super jaggy? I can't even see most drivertars names from a distance, its blurry and jaggy. FXAA is off.

Is there away to remove the input lag at capped 30fps?

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
some of you will have the full game redownloaded, in spite of the windows patch.

They pushed an update to Recore today, I have the update installed and it redownloaded the entire game.

ReCore updates are weird since launch, almost the full game, like if their game file structure could not do delta patches.

Forza Apex always had small patches, so I think it will be the same with FH3, and as it add the new car pack, it should weight something like the Xbox One version.

ReCore updates are weird since launch, almost the full game, like if their game file structure could not do delta patches.

Forza Apex always had small patches, so I think it will be the same with FH3, and as it add the new car pack, it should weight something like the Xbox One version.

I'm really hoping this is the case. I agree, Recore has been weird.. it's the only one that redownloaded on me out of any of them.. and it was right after unlocking.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
I'm really hoping this is the case. I agree, Recore has been weird.. it's the only one that redownloaded on me out of any of them.. and it was right after unlocking.

There was an update of ReCore one day or two after its release, an almost 9 GB patch.
This time it's again a 8.7 GB patch for a 9.17 GB game.

Top Bottom