• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

bj00rn_

Banned
The new Camino looks great, I like the change, although I'm unsure of how "realistic" it is..
Also Positano is much improved (I was lucky enough to be able to visit the area this summer btw..), the FM3 version had awful colors and feel.

Mascot

Was it ever determined which track this snippet came from? (April leak vid)

vlcsnap-2011-05-06-17h17m51s128.png

eso76

yeah, there should be a new under the hood today.
it was expected for last week but was canceled since Dan was touring.

Good question Mascot, i was wondering the same a few days ago.
No, I don't think it was ever determined.
Maybe an early version of new Sedona ? If their intent is making all tracks look realistic, i expect Sedona to look completely different from fm3.

Mascot

BADNED said:
Early version of Bernese Alps.
Wow..! Would never have guessed Alps. Having said that, I've been mountain biking in ski resorts in the summer, and the snow-free mountains did look browny-grey.

Were different seasons for the circuits ever considered, B?

Jamesways

amar212 said:
I really hope Bugatti it is left out just to be included in some DLC pack.

That track is amazing one, I fell in love with it in the first LeMans 24Hours game (Eutechnyx one, PSone era) and was waiting for more than decade to have it again in some game.
And now they left it out, probably based on poor community love (everybody was voting against that track in FM3) in order to save some on-disc space.

Very technical track where one small mistake can cost you everything. Not many tracks requires so much concentration during the whole race because slow corners and heavy sandtraps requires extreme caution and great technique.

I hope it's back at some point too, it's always been one of my favorites in the MotoGP games. What's even better is that some of them give you options for different conditions, sunny, cloudy, or rainy (depending on the year and developer). LeMans (Bugatti) looks very striking with dramatic rain clouds in a few of the games.

saladine1

Mascot said:
Any particular ones Saladine?
Basically, they have to do with two aspects that haven't really been expounded upon as of yet..upgrades/tuning and sound.
Particularly, I want to know, if the sound design of FM2's will make a return (exhaust note change, intake,cams) and whether Mr.Wiswell has brought over his amazing turbo spools and BOV's/Wastegate chatter effects from PGR.
Judging from the stock Kia Ceed footage though, it sounds like they went the FM3 route where all cars sound beefed up from the start. If this is indeed the case...I will let everyone here know just how I feel about it....

eso76

saladine1 said:
Basically, they have to do with two aspects that haven't really been expounded upon as of yet..upgrades/tuning and sound.
Particularly, I want to know, if the sound design of FM2's will make a return (exhaust note change, intake,cams) and whether Mr.Wiswell has brought over his amazing turbo spools and BOV's/Wastegate chatter effects from PGR.
Judging from the stock Kia Ceed footage though, it sounds like they went the FM3 route where all cars sound beefed up from the start. If this is indeed the case...I will let everyone here know just how I feel about it....

i suppose you'll know on friday.
Do mags have a preview code or are all the impressions/media from press events ?

metareferential said:
So after all the CSR shifter really is aluminium-made (metal, at least).

Both the shifter and CSR pedals are up on Fanatec's store (CSR wheels still pending).

Mock if old.

http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_e...d=102&osCsid=0fe861f3704d32478f0d7bf5abac88cb
For 60 I would hold off until they release the club sport shifter for 100.

I ordered the standard shifter last week and got it yesterday. I had the club sport pedals already. Never driven stick before but im getting a hang of it, but I think I will improve when they release the better shifter.

nib95

Banned
Not to reign on any parade, but didn't see it in OP. Does Forza 4 have weather and night races then, or was that omitted? I seem to recall people claiming it woud based on snippets from the original leaked trailer.

nib95 said:
Not to reign on any parade, but didn't see it in OP. Does Forza 4 have weather and night races then, or was that omitted? I seem to recall people claiming it woud based on snippets from the original leaked trailer.

Nope.

nagge said:
Mocky mock ;)

Some parts of the CSR-shifter is metal.

CSS is the one you need if you want all metal, thats the one I'm waiting for at least.

Basically. The CSR pedals are newer but from all the description the CSP's are still the best. Seems the CSS when it comes out will be also.

I'm just really curious about mounting options with the CSS, it's a huge square and I don't see those dinky 2 pole solutions working at all. They barely hold the all plastic shifter steady (and by barely I mean they don't).

EDIT: DP, was meant to be an edit.

nib95

Banned
flyinpiranha said:
Meh, not to be a comparison guy but I'm glad they didn't sacrifice other things in the game to get it in. I think 60 FPS and no tearing is infinitely more important than racing at night or in the rain.

I completely disagree personally. I'd rather have the option to have something than not. Essentially choosing game changing ultra fun adding features over better visuals. It's a real shame, because I honestly think those two elements add a heck of a lot to a game.

There's basically no completely whole racing Sim on consoles this gen. Imo Turn 10 should have seized the opportunity, but without those features imo it will always be lacking.

nib95 said:
I completely disagree personally. I'd rather have the option to have something than not. Essentially choosing better visuals over game changing ultra fun adding features. It's a real shame, because I honestly think those two elements add a heck of a lot to a game.

There's basically no completely whole racing Sim on consoles this gen. Imo Turn 10 should have seized the opportunity, but without those features imo it will always be lacking.

But having something at the sacrifice of other things? I just have to say no. I played GT5, played the shit out of it, past level 30 and to the X1 challenges. I was brought out of my "immersion" almost every time screen tearing or that ridiculous smoke pixelation happened on a close race. Or the shadows on the ground.

Night racing was neat, rain (for the 1% of the game you actually see it) was kinda cool ... but the implementation was terrible.

I guess we'll agree to disagree but with our past I guess that's not too far from the norm =P

nib95

Banned
flyinpiranha said:
But having something at the sacrifice of other things? I just have to say no. I played GT5, played the shit out of it, past level 30 and to the X1 challenges. I was brought out of my "immersion" almost every time screen tearing or that ridiculous smoke pixelation happened on a close race. Or the shadows on the ground. Just terrible.

Night racing was neat, rain (for the 1% of the game you actually see it) was kinda cool ... but the implementation was terrible.

I guess we'll agree to disagree but with our past I guess that's not too far from the norm =P

Possibly because you're personally particularly sensitive to those things. But if you play any other racers this gen, sim or arcade, then surely locked 60fps isn't that important since most run at 30fps and even then drop at times. Point is, graphics should never override actual fun factor or features. If you can't do night or weather, then tone down the visuals elsewhere till you can. Great visuals shouldn't come at the expense of game changing and now commonly expected features. That's just poor show imo.

You could essentially argue that you'd also prefer less cars on screen for more AF/AA etc instead. But ultimately more cars on screen is a more appropriate addition that adds more value to a race. Which I'm glad they've added mind.

Yoritomo

nib95 said:
Possibly because you're personally particularly sensitive to those things. But if you play any other racers this gen, sim or arcade, then surely locked 60fps isn't that important since most run at 30fps and even then drop at times. Point is, graphics should never override actual fun factor or features. If you can't do night or weather, then tone down the visuals elsewhere till you can. Great visuals shouldn't come at the expense of game changing and now commonly expected features. That's just poor show imo.

You could essentially argue that you'd also prefer less cars on screen for more AF/AA etc instead. But ultimately more cars on screen is a more appropriate addition that adds more value to a race. Which I'm glad they've added mind.

I would prefer perfect physics over any and everything else. I'd love to drive cars that looked like kleenex boxes around provided they handled exactly like real life kleenex boxes.

nagge

Yoritomo said:
I would prefer perfect physics over any and everything else. I'd love to drive cars that looked like kleenex boxes around provided they handled exactly like real life kleenex boxes.

I completely agree.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
nib95 said:

Sub-60fps racers aren't racing games. They're slideshows.

Peterthumpa

cjelly said:
Sub-60fps racers aren't racing games. They're slideshows.
I'm quite pessimistic about this whole "always 60 FPS" talk. GT5 claimed the same but when heavy smoke particles, coupled with a lot of cars simultaneously in view started, FPS sinked.

And I'm not even talking about weather effects, but in Forza's case, this won't be a problem.

Jamesways

Yoritomo said:

Me too, that's a big reason I love Race Pro so much. It definitely doesn't win any beauty contests, but you can't beat that SimBin physcis feel on console IMO.

I know that's not a very popular opinion, especially in a Forza thread, but hey, I love "bad" racing games (RP, Shift 1&2, SBK, MotoGP, PGR3) and am not ashamed to admit it.

Xanadu

Banned
Jamesways said:
Me too, that's a big reason I love Race Pro so much. It definitely doesn't win any beauty contests, but you can't beat that SimBin physcis feel on console IMO.

I know that's not a very popular opinion, especially in a Forza thread, but hey, I love "bad" racing games (RP, Shift 1&2, SBK, MotoGP, PGR3) and am not ashamed to admit it.
you should try iracing, the best physics out there atm..way ahead of the simbin games

Ty4on

Ever since Forza 2 Turn 10 has been known for a solid 60fps framerate, making a 30fps game would be like Polyphony making a bad looking game. A 30fps mode would probably have created a backlash like the standard cars. It's just a bonus, you don't need to use them, but their dragging the overall impression down.

nib95 said:

I would rather have a racing game that doesn't have to take away features of what it's been known to have. And yeah, I don't give a crap about 12-16 car races to be honest. It's basically 5 decent AI racers and then filler you are almost always in front of (of course depending on difficulty).

I'm not saying I wouldn't mind the features, I'm saying that at the expense of what the series is known for and has become would be detrimental.

Neat, you can race at night, but have pixelated headlights that don't shine on the track properly. Cool, weather ... but it slows down and I can SEE this happening in certain sections.

I just can't in good conscious ask for features to be included if that means taking the very thing I hold dear with a racing game: framerate and stability.

I've seen first hand with many, many hours of what these "features" can do when you just start throwing them in without really focusing on what the entire package would entail. I also completely disagree that weather and night racing are "commonly expected features". I hoped for them, but I didn't remotely expect them.

Shift doesn't have night or weather to my memory (didn't play much of it though) and that's comparable with GT and Forza so some say.

Shift 2 won't have weather, it will have night.

NFS: HP and DiRT 3 have weather ... but DiRT is a lot of one car tracks and NFS:HP isn't even remotely as graphically impressive or detailed as F3/4 or GT5.

Like I said, I wouldn't mind them. But dropping it to 30FPS and adding in screen tearing and pixelated smoke along with shadowing that looks like an NES game? No thanks.

The only FPS drops I see in FM3 are playing split-screen on Leguna Seca— right after the third turn (first being the bend on the home straight, two the double apex hairpin).

Respawn

Banned
felipepl said:
I'm quite pessimistic about this whole "always 60 FPS" talk. GT5 claimed the same but when heavy smoke particles, coupled with a lot of cars simultaneously in view started, FPS sinked.

And I'm not even talking about weather effects, but in Forza's case, this won't be a problem.
Really? How is it Forza won't have an issue? Kaz told everyone about the framerate drop he didnt hide it. Im just curious how you know Forza 4 wont have an issue when everything is happening on screen at once.

I have to say the multiple display setup is amazing drool worthy. Graphics are superb. I would love to do this.

Jamesways

flyinpiranha said:
I would rather have a racing game that doesn't have to take away features of what it's been known to have. And yeah, I don't give a crap about 12-16 car races to be honest. It's basically 5 decent AI racers and then filler you are almost always in front of (of course depending on difficulty).

I'm not saying I wouldn't mind the features, I'm saying that at the expense of what the series is known for and has become would be detrimental.

Neat, you can race at night, but have pixelated headlights that don't shine on the track properly. Cool, weather ... but it slows down and I can SEE this happening in certain sections.

I just can't in good conscious ask for features to be included if that means taking the very thing I hold dear with a racing game: framerate and stability.

I've seen first hand with many, many hours of what these "features" can do when you just start throwing them in without really focusing on what the entire package would entail. I also completely disagree that weather and night racing are "commonly expected features". I hoped for them, but I didn't remotely expect them.

Shift doesn't have night or weather to my memory (didn't play much of it though) and that's comparable with GT and Forza so some say.

Shift 2 won't have weather, it will have night.

NFS: HP and DiRT 3 have weather ... but DiRT is a lot of one car tracks and NFS:HP isn't even remotely as graphically impressive or detailed as F3/4 or GT5.

Like I said, I wouldn't mind them. But dropping it to 30FPS and adding in screen tearing and pixelated smoke along with shadowing that looks like an NES game? No thanks.

Adding to you list,

Race Pro has weather but it's 30fps and it has NO effect on the handling at all, which was disappointing.

MotoGP 2011 does have rain as well, is locked at 60fps, and it does affect the handling of the bikes very much. They managed to have huge grids too, but obviously bikes and cars are very different from both a modeling and physics standpoint.

I can see it being very complicated to put weather in Forza. Hopefully the next xbox will provide some more oomph for them to successfully implement it.

Xanadu- If I had a nice PC at home to run them, I'd be all over iRacing and rFactor!
Just have an outdated old laptop, a work laptop, and a console only right now I'm afraid.

saladine1

In racing games, framerate/stability is essential imo. There is nothing worse than FR drops while taking a sweeper. If the addition of weather and night or any other feature would have hampered the experience, then it was a good decision to not go with them.
Hopefully, next gen should be able to rectify the situation.
P.S- Please include weather/night for FM5 T10...please...

Edit:
The Xbox 360 exclusive racing game – out October 14th – will receive the biggest ad drive in the franchise’s history

“Our marketing campaign is the largest we’ve ever undertaken for Forza,” Microsoft’s director of Xbox and Entertainment Stephen McGill told MCV.

“We’ll be present not just in the games arena, but we’re closely aligning ourselves to key motorsport publications to ensure Forza is the de facto racing game for petrolheads everywhere.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/forza-motorsport-4-chases-petrolheads/085078

Nice, we are waiting Turn 10...

Xanadu

Banned
saladine1 said:
In racing games, framerate/stability is essential imo. There is nothing worse than FR drops while taking a sweeper. If the addition of weather and night or any other feature would have hampered the experience, then it was a good decision to not go with them.
Hopefully, next gen should be able to rectify the situation.
P.S- Please include weather/night for FM5 T10...please...
they had night in forza 1 lol, sure it would be harder with the new lighting but still i think it could have been done if they skipped less needed features such as auto vista

Musan

Quick question from a relative novice to racing games.

After buying a new GTI, I suddenly have a racing itch. Is Forza 3 a good game to pick up with Forza 4 coming out next month? I think the last serious racing game I played was Le Mans 24 Hours on the dreamcast.

Top Bottom