• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

Jamesways

Musan said:
Quick question from a relative novice to racing games.

After buying a new GTI, I suddenly have a racing itch. Is Forza 3 a good game to pick up with Forza 4 coming out next month? I think the last serious racing game I played was Le Mans 24 Hours on the dreamcast.

Definitely if you don't want to wait for 4. The Ultimate Edition isn't too expensive, and there are profile and certain car rewards to roll over to 4 whenever you get that.

nib95

Banned
I think some of you are missing the point here. You're happy they ditched important features in order to maintain a solid frame rate and no tearing. Problem is, that ins't it at all. What you probably sacrificed for those features was more likely better visuals (lighting, textures etc). There's no reason why they couldn't have added weather, night racing etc whilst also maintaining a solid frame rate with no tearing. They'd just have to make concessions in the visuals which clearly they didn't want to do.

nib95 said:
I think some of you are missing the point here. You're happy they ditched important features in order to maintain a solid frame rate and no tearing. Problem is, that ins't it at all. What you probably sacrificed for those features was more likely better visuals (lighting, textures etc). There's no reason why they couldn't have added weather, night racing etc whilst also maintaining a solid frame rate with no tearing. They'd just have to make concessions in the visuals which clearly they didn't want to do.

I rather not have Shift 2 level visual and 30 fps in my Forza 4. There are different things that each racing game do well and they all provide different aspect of driving and racing. I would rather have Forza be what Forza is, smooth 60 fps, huge selection of cars, customizations than trying to be jack of all trade and fail to excell at any single one. I play Shift 2 for ton of tracks, NFS:HP for fun and mayhem, and occasional Dirt when I want to drive around in mud and dirt.

To me it's pretty jarring everytime I play Forza for extend period of time and then go back to other 30 fps racing game.

saladine1

nib95 said:
I believe they wanted to be known as "the most beautiful racing game this generation".
In their eyes, they believe that there offerings of vehicles, auction house, livery editor, upgrades/customization, multiplayer..etc aspects of the game are pretty much known and accepted as great features. The only thing that they needed to improve on was the graphics....

Xanadu

Banned
antiquegamer said:
I rather not have Shift 2 level visual and 30 fps in my Forza 4. There are different things that each racing game do well and they all provide different aspect of driving and racing. I would rather have Forza be what Forza is, smooth 60 fps, huge selection of cars, customizations than trying to be jack of all trade and fail to excell at any single one. I play Shift 2 for ton of tracks, NFS:HP for fun and mayhem, and occasional Dirt when I want to drive around in mud and dirt.

To me it's pretty jarring everytime I play Forza for extend period of time and then go back to other 30 fps racing game.
well i play shift 2 and dirt in 60 fps so its not a prob for me ;)

SPEEDxNASTY

Neo Member
nib95 said:

...and a development cycle of more or less 2 years + a release date to meet, don't forget that.
What would GT5 be if it hadn't been delayed and released at the date Polyphony initially promised? Just try to imagine it...
Nobody is happy to have features being cut from a final product but sometimes you have to be realistic and make some choices over others.

flyinpiranha said:
And yeah, I don't give a crap about 12-16 car races to be honest. It's basically 5 decent AI racers and then filler you are almost always in front of (of course depending on difficulty).

You really don't care about 16 players races online? (or maybe I misread somewhere)

SPEEDxNASTY

Neo Member
Nice teaser, cant wait for the embargo lift.
Working dashboard on race cars, lets hope they will all have them, haven't spotted anything noticle apart from that.

Xanadu said:
well i play shift 2 and dirt in 60 fps so its not a prob for me ;)

Yeah, now that I upgrade my graphic card in my PC, I should start buying racing game on my PC, the only problem is the wheel set up and I have tiny monitor (tiny by today standard).

benzy

flyinpiranha said:
Meh, not to be a comparison guy but I'm glad they didn't sacrifice other things in the game to get it in. I think 60 FPS and no tearing is infinitely more important than racing at night or in the rain.

I can see weather being difficult to do but night racing at a solid 60fps is definitely doable on this gen's hardware. I just think T10 might be having trouble in getting the lighting to look right.

Rallisport 2 ran at a solid 60fps, no screen tear, and had nice looking night racing in large environments on 10 year old hardware.

ral2lyhg.gif

This track is actually pretty dark. Off-screen camera exposure brightened the sky a bit.

SPEEDxNASTY said:
You really don't care about 16 players races online? (or maybe I misread somewhere)

I wasn't talking about online.

@ Benzy ... one car on the track, and damni if Rallisport 2 wasn't like the pinnacle for Rally games ... so good.

Iknos

nib95 said:
Time is a factor too they mentioned that in their blog.

2d trees aside I think they could have done it with fewer cars on track for those modes too.

They could have also just did it for a few tracks like GT5 did.

So demo is 2 weeks away? Thats just enough time for me to fall in love with F1 2011 to the degree that I won't care for 4za.

Speaking of which I've been reading impressions for that game and they say the new physics make it a great experience. And after thinking about how much better GT5 is to Prologue I think 4za has the same potential of being a very awesome game despite the lack of new content. GT5 is in some respects bare bones compared to GT4 but it is a much better experience. Same deal here maybe.

eso76

benzy said:

Incredible.

If someone posted this gif saying it's from fm4 people would kneel down and praise the videogame gods. RSC2 was unbelievable.

Every developer should have a shrine in their offices with a copy of RSC2 and PGR4, to revere and worship every day.

Xanadu

Banned
eso76 said:
Incredible.

If someone posted this gif saying it's from fm4 people would kneel down and praise the videogame gods. RSC2 was unbelievable.

Every developer should have a shrine in their offices with a copy of RSC2 and PGR4, to revere and worship every day.
as good as rsc2 was, i prefer richard burns rally

Shaneus

eso76 said:
Incredible.

RSC2 at the time was really, really good... but I've played it now and sadly, there are better. Horses for courses though, RSC2 was further ahead of anything then than any rally game is now.

Shaneus

Mascot said:
Never played RSC2, but I keep hearing good things about it.
It's well worth playing. By far my favourite feature is in the replays where you can get ultra, ultra slow-mo control via the analog triggers... just like those mega-fast cameras that capture at a billion frames a second or something. Makes everything in the game look epic.

We're back to talking about games other than Foza 4? Perfect! Rallisport Challenge 2 is an incredible experience.

It's been nearly two months (July 28th) since the Top Gear Track reveal, pictures and replay footage. I'd kill for a reveal that size right about now.

I know I'm late to this discussion, but I don't mind about rain not being included, but I would have liked to have seen night racing, even if it was only on a few tracks.

Xanadu

Banned
bloodforge said:
I know I'm late to this discussion, but I don't mind about rain not being included, but I would have liked to have seen night racing, even if it was only on a few tracks.
i would have been ok with just nurb and le mans but oh well

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
soundscream said:
No under the hood today?

Can't say I'm shocked its par for the course.
Turn10 prob. forgot they have to sell Forza 4 after making it.

TBH at this point I've lost much motivation to buy it. School just destroyed my bank account, and I really don't want to go for anything less than the LE considering all the extra free shit you get, I'll always feel like I'm missing out.

We'll see.

saladine1

enzo_gt said:

TBH at this point I've lost much motivation to buy it. School just destroyed my bank account, and I really don't want to go for anything less than the LE considering all the extra free shit you get, I'll always feel like I'm missing out.

We'll see.
You know you want it.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable FM3.5 remarks...

watership

enzo_gt said:

We'll see.

Wait for Friday.

AMUSIX

Mascot said:
My Spanish isn't as good as my Italian (!) but that video appeared to be a bunch of bemused Spaniards asking what the fuck snow-capped alpine mountains and fir trees were doing in their beloved Montserrat region.
The more I think about it, the more I wish Turn 10 would get more shit for this. But they won't, because it's in another country. If they arbitrarily threw Mount Fuji in as a backdrop to Road America or put Monument Valley backing up to Positano people would be ridiculing them. It'd turn into an ongoing meme that would be continually brought up every time Turn 10 or Forza was mentioned.

Instead we have people here going 'wow, I think it looks good!' simply because they're not familiar with the area. To anyone who doesn't see it as a big deal, would it have been ok for Turn 10 to have a mountain in the background of the New York track? For the record, that mountain and that type of forest are not found in the Montserrat region. Hell, i dont even think there's anything like that mountain in all of Spain.

I'd like to know why it was done, honestly. I can understand having to redo the environment to satisfy some new limitations, but why add in elements that come from an entirely different part of the world?

Iknos

AMUSIX said:
I'd like to know why it was done, honestly. I can understand having to redo the environment to satisfy some new limitations, but why add in elements that come from an entirely different part of the world?

Yeah its lame.

Why not use the new assets to make a new track?

Montserrat was fine as is. The scenery was unique and driving on the mountainside felt epic. It was something I considered one of the best fantasy tracks out there and being one of the best looking had some to do with it.

At least the lighting is correct unlike the FK pics. But I'm pretty bummed out that they changed the track.

Damn.

eso76

AMUSIX said:
Instead we have people here going 'wow, I think it looks good!' simply because they're not familiar with the area.

it looks good because it does look good, regardless of accuracy.
I'm not sure why they changed it; the backdrop we see there is a bitmap for most part, actually using a picture from, you know, montserrat region wouldn't have made things any more difficult for them, but it's not a big deal to me.

Mountain looks like it could be some other part of the pyrenees or Aitana (spain).
Or another part of the world completely. Still, not a big deal to me, i just wonder why they didn't make new ribbons instead of wasting time changing perfectly fine assets.

Ah, well. Was expecting to wake up to 2 more tracks and under the hood this morning.
: \

benzy

flyinpiranha said:
@ Benzy ... one car on the track, and damni if Rallisport 2 wasn't like the pinnacle for Rally games ... so good.

You can have 4 cars on that track in single arcade race, and it's 10 year old hardware. :p I highly doubt it's GPU/CPU limitations holding Forza back from having night racing at a steady 60 fps.

Mascot

AMUSIX said:

Could have been worse. A Turn 10 asset researcher might have thought the track was ON Montserrat (the Leeward island in the West Indies) instead of IN the Montserrat mountain region of Catalonia (I think half the users on the official forums actually do believe this to be the case). We could have had sandy beaches and palm trees in the background instead of alpine mountains.

There might be another explanation: Bernese Alps and Camino Viejo are linked into one awesomely gargantuan geography-defying behemoth of an uber-track that also takes in New York and Bathurst. It's the bombshell to end all bombshells! We'll know on Friday.

eso76

Mascot said:
There might be another explanation: Bernese Alps and Camino Viejo are linked into one awesomely gargantuan geography-defying behemoth of an uber-track that also takes in New York and Bathurst. It's the bombshell to end all bombshells! We'll know on Friday.

That's exactly what world tour mode is.
"literally travelling across the globe" means you actually have to drive all the way to the next track.

As for 'knowing on friday' (omg omg tomorrow, omg) i still have to understand if it's just infos and footage from the events held in euroland last week or if magazines have access to preview builds. Basically, if we finally get to know everything/see tons of direct feed footage from any track and any car in the game, or just what was revealed during those events.

amar212

I lost EVERYTHING regarding my Forza 3 game last night.

LV50 career, 300+ uniquely LV5 cars with modifications, hundreds hours of offline and online playtime, VIP status, VIP content, Turn 10 VIP community prizes, Turn 10 prize cars and TopGear DLC that came on Ultimate Collection card.

I bought a new SlimBox, used USB to transfer gamesave from my FaxtBox and had no idea that FM saves are encrypted. I mean, I was not told about it by console or whatever. Few minutes later everything was gone. My original gamesave was not recognized by the game on the new console and because I used "move" function during transfer ("copy" was not available) original gamesave is no longer accessible.

Marketplace does not want to grant me rights to redeem my VIP/DLC/TopGear codes because it finds them *used* and I can't access any of the content I have payed for. And yes, I have transfered my DRM license in the very minute I booted new console to LIve, so that is not the issue.

I am beyond words. I bought a new X360 Kinect bundle just to play Forza 4 on it and was looking forward into having all my driving games installed and available onto one console. Needless to say how my Forza 2 gamesave is also inaccessible and how my whole Forza 2 career is also gone for good.

Dear NeoGaf members, NEVER USE USB TRANSFER FOR data management of Forza gamesaves. NEVER. EVER.

My latenight internet search revealed how ONLY probable secure way to transfer savefiles of Forza games between FatBox and SlimBox is by using some Transfer Cable which I can't even purchase anywhere.

I am beyond words. BUt if nothing else, I have successfully received Mazda RX-7 unicorn car as a T10 prize for pre-ordering FM4. However, I think my enthusiasm for Forza series have reached the lowest level imaginable. My whole FM2 and FM3 careers lost, my all DLC lost, everything made in both games lost.

Damn.

That's awful amar........
I have a transfer cable in my car, knew there was a reason not to throw it out, will have to use it when I buy my slim. Don't know of I would be as calm as you if I lost everything like that.

Mascot

Holy shit, amar. That absolutely blows goats. I was contemplating buying one of the 320gig Gears slims (why no FM4 one?) but am so fearful about losing all my game saves and profile info.

Gutted for you.

Snubbers

amar212 said:
I lost EVERYTHING regarding my Forza 3 game last night.

LV50 career, 300+ uniquely LV5 cars with modifications, hundreds hours of offline and online playtime, VIP status, VIP content, Turn 10 VIP community prizes, Turn 10 prize cars and TopGear DLC that came on Ultimate Collection card.

I bought a new SlimBox, used USB to transfer gamesave from my FaxtBox and had no idea that FM saves are encrypted. I mean, I was not told about it by console or whatever. Few minutes later everything was gone. My original gamesave was not recognized by the game on the new console and because I used "move" function during transfer ("copy" was not available) original gamesave is no longer accessible.

Marketplace does not want to grant me rights to redeem my VIP/DLC/TopGear codes because it finds them *used* and I can't access any of the content I have payed for. And yes, I have transfered my DRM license in the very minute I booted new console to LIve, so that is not the issue.

I am beyond words. I bought a new X360 Kinect bundle just to play Forza 4 on it and was looking forward into having all my driving games installed and available onto one console. Needless to say how my Forza 2 gamesave is also inaccessible and how my whole Forza 2 career is also gone for good.

Dear NeoGaf members, NEVER USE USB TRANSFER FOR data management of Forza gamesaves. NEVER. EVER.

My latenight internet search revealed how ONLY probable secure way to transfer savefiles of Forza games between FatBox and SlimBox is by using some Transfer Cable which I can't even purchase anywhere.

I am beyond words. BUt if nothing else, I have successfully received Mazda RX-7 unicorn car as a T10 prize for pre-ordering FM4. However, I think my enthusiasm for Forza series have reached the lowest level imaginable. My whole FM2 and FM3 careers lost, my all DLC lost, everything made in both games lost.

Damn.

I only recently realised that I hadn't transferred my DRM to my new 360s, I was wondering where all the Stig's cars had gone etc, and on re-entering the code, I got the same 'this code is used' stuff.. so I checked online, and realised I needed to transfer the DRM licences, so I did it online, transferred all to the new Xbox, but it took several attempts to download the DLC as it kept saying it wasn't for this console... I switched the console off, cleared my downloads, rebooted, and redownloaded from Xbox.com and all was well.. so keep trying!

And regarding the Gamesaves, I did lose mine (I deleted it by accident when cleaning up the old xbox), but luckily all the liveries etc all transferred over using the move to USB option, so whilst I had to start the career mode again, I didn't lose the hundreds of hours I spent in the livery editor!

I do feel for you, it's a risky business, not much help in the process given from Xbox.com or on the console..
But you can transfer the DLC and I certainly still have all my liveries etc, so it is possible to do it without a transfer cable, but get the sequence wrong and it bites you hard, MS need to really work on this, I don't get the whole DRM's game saves, most games don't do it, I backup all my save games/data to a USB Stick once a week or so just in case..

amar212

Snubbers said:
... and redownloaded from Xbox.com ...

Thank you very much for this Snubbers, this one didn't crossed my mind.

I just went there and found plethora of my DLC content available there. I have queued everything I found there, now I just have to come back home from work and see will it be accepted by console.

I have contacted Jube regarding this - especially Turn10 Community Prizes which are not included into my purchases - I sincerely hope he will be able to help too.

abracadaver said:
Cant you copy the save back to the old console, then use the transfer cable ?

No, when you use "move" function for USB transfer, original content on original HDD is made inaccessible (probably not erased, but it is invisible now).

But what is most problematic is my actual game save. I have just 2 weeks to work my way back up to LV50. I have to find great inner strength in order to start career form the start. And my Zen is seriously low after yesterday.

eso76

amar212 said:
No, when you use "move" function for USB transfer, original content on original HDD is made inaccessible (probably not erased, but it is invisible now).

but what if you move the save back to old console again ?

Top Bottom