• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

saladine1 said:
So, what's this concerning,tracks,cars,night or what?
I'm sick of this cryptic shit..

Porsche (or lack thereof).

Given that the FC coversation was on the subject of car reveals, that seemed to be the most likely revelation of "heartbreaking" information currently bound by NDA.

Mascot has a point, though. I mean, think about it. No Porsche. That's just what they'd EXPECT us to conclude...

Mascot

I predict:

1. unbridled joy
2. massive disappointment
3. glaring omissions
4. bombshells of cataclysmic proportions
5. modelling errors
6. outdated assets
7. unbelievable amazingness
8. absurd decisions
9. furious indignation
10. WTFs and Jesus H Christs.

Let me know if I've missed any, but I think that about covers it. You see if I'm not wrong!

Mascot said:
I predict:

1. unbridled joy
2. massive disappointment
3. glaring omissions
4. bombshells of cataclysmic proportions
5. modelling errors
6. outdated assets
7. unbelievable amazingness
8. absurd decisions
9. furious indignation
10. WTFs and Jesus H Christs.

Let me know if I've missed any, but I think that about covers it. You see if I'm not wrong!
11. Smanging

watership

No Porsche would be easier to deal with than a lackluster track list.

No Porsche and track list disappointment would just kill the positive buzz this game has had for a few months :\

eso76

come on, we have known there's no porsche for a while now.

And you guys better stop believing we're getting bathurst :p

watership

eso76 said:
come on, we have known there's no porsche for a while now.

And you guys better stop believing we're getting bathurst :p

wayback-machine2.jpg

saladine1

watership said:
No Porsche would be easier to deal with than a lackluster track list.

No Porsche and track list disappointment would just kill the positive buzz this game has had for a few months :\
Why do you think that this information hasn't been revealed yet?
The game will have less than one day before release then.."oh, and by the way, no Porsche,lol.."

Anyway, if the bad news is indeed about the omission of Porsche, then fortunately, it won't affect me as i'm not a fan..

The cryptic shit is annoying. I rather just wait for the unveils and then useless vague bait followed by "I never promised!" If you know the details, congrats. We'll learn about them soon enough.

Mascot

I'm not sure BADNED or Skate Zilla ever mentioned the word 'Porsche', did they?

Why does everyone jump to such conclusions? There's a fifty-five page thread about this on .net that makes hilarious reading.

eso76

saladine1 said:
Why do you think that this information hasn't been revealed yet?
The game will have less than one day before release then.."oh, and by the way, no Porsche,lol.."

Anyway, if the bad news is indeed about the omission of Porsche, then fortunately, it won't affect me as i'm not a fan..

actually you know what, they can't reveal anything because they're trying to find a way to circumnavigate the license issue.

Like...ok guys..no Porsche in fm4....but...you can import your fm3 garage !
Oh, look there are porsches in your fm3 garage !

EA: FFffuuuu
T10: trollface

Also, isn't 'Porsche Dreams' a theme of Porsche's current marketing (at least I've seen it in UK car mags)?

I would say Porsche are out, were I betting.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Spaceman Spiff said:
PGR2 is still the greatest racing game ever made, but PGR4 was tantalizingly close to taking the title. What a shame that it was ignored; truly one of the great injustices of modern gaming. I cry myself to sleep every night knowing Bizarre will never again be at the helm another PGR. Without them, it's probably best the series remains dead.
My man.. Amen to all of this.

Is the Nissan GT-R in this game? I heard a nasty rumour or rumblings before that the GT-R would be witheld for DLC or something, and I can't recall seeing it or anything.

enzo_gt said:
My man.. Amen to all of this.

Is the Nissan GT-R in this game? I heard a nasty rumour or rumblings before that the GT-R would be witheld for DLC or something, and I can't recall seeing it or anything.

Again?

Edit: Is my sarcasm meter broken?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
soundscream said:
Again?

Edit: Is my sarcasm meter broken?
I'm sorry has this been gone over before? I didn't check this thread for weeks at a time, I honestly don't know, I heard this elsewhere.

enzo_gt said:
I'm sorry has this been gone over before? I didn't check this thread for weeks at a time, I honestly don't know, I heard this elsewhere.
No.

But this was the rumor about the GT-R for Forza 3, which was true.

If they are doing it again as DLC Turn 10 needs to step away from the pipe.

smarkel

If it's not in the game they are doing a horrible job at marketing IMO. Just tell us instead of making us think it could be. Leads to resentment when we do find out later on. If they wouldve told us months ago this would be a dead issue. Also they're letting us get our hopes up about other things and we could be concentrating on the cool new things we have. Haven't heard anything about tuning or the paint editor, little things like adding a few cool shapes could go along way for morale. A lot of people still play forza 2 because things like this happened last launch.

saladine1

Mascot said:
Posted yet?

RA FM3 vs FM4 comparison

Better trees, less road glare, more bonnet.
Yep, exactly as you described.

You know what I would love to see?
A detailed list of the exact differences between the two games.
I mean, not a lot of people would've picked up that the bonnet view has changed slightly.
These things should be noted imo..

Mascot said:
Posted yet?

RA FM3 vs FM4 comparison

Better trees, less road glare, more bonnet.

Other than trees and some fences and ads, it uses pretty much the same assets. Even the lighting is quite similar. I don't know if it's the vid, but the blur seems improved though.
Compared to the Alps and Hockenheim, the track doesn't look so good.

eso76

saladine1 said:

I mean, not a lot of people would've picked up that the bonnet view has changed slightly.

also, overall palette is more realistic
the car especially, look at how bright and colourful it is in fm3.
also, different textures for curbs.
a little haze in the distance

also, better driver.

skydome is the same though, although contrast and saturation are different.

Which makes me wonder..did they really take pics in different exposures (to use as hdr maps for lighting) for every track, or that (including IBL) is just for homespace environments ? hmmm
i started to think there's no ibl ingame.

saladine1

eso76 said:
also, overall palette is more realistic
the car especially, look at how bright and colourful it is in fm3.
also, different textures for curbs.
a little haze in the distance

also, better driver.

skydome is the same though, although contrast and saturation are different.

Which makes me wonder..did they really take pics in different exposures (to use as hdr maps for lighting) for every track, or that (including IBL) is just for homespace environments ? hmmm
i started to think there's no ibl ingame.
Didn't Dan say that IBL includes in game as well?

Mascot

saladine1 said:
Didn't Dan say that IBL includes in game as well?

He specifically demo'd it the other day when he was spinning his black M3 around in the Bernese Alps, with the blue sky hitting the black paint and releasing white wee.

saladine1 said:
I'm sick of this cryptic shit..

I couldn't agree more, but you guys have to blame yourself. You guys would rather listen to bullshit riddles, than common sense.

I know I'm mad right now and maybe I'll regret this later, but this shit should be a bannable offense. It's not helping anyone, everyone gets false expectations and it's really not fun. How many times have I read "BADNED hinted at this and this" and it led to nowhere. Stop this shit. It's lame and it's annoying. If you have something to say, then say it. If not, shut up. Amar was enough, I don't need some lame copycat.

/mad

Mascot

brotkasten said:
I couldn't agree more, but you guys have to blame yourself. You guys would rather listen to bullshit riddles, than common sense.

I know I'm mad right now and maybe I'll regret this later, but this shit should be a bannable offense. It's not helping anyone, everyone gets false expectations and it's really not fun. How many times have I read "BADNED hinted at this and this" and it led to nowhere. Stop this shit. It's lame and it's annoying. If you have something to say, then say it. If not, shut up. Amar was enough, I don't need some lame copycat.

/mad

Wow! Almost word-for-word before your stealth-edit the other day. You crazy anger!
Chillax man, it's all good fun.

Big Ass Ramp said:
funny I though PGR3 was the sweet spot

In terms of physics and driving feel, maybe. PGR3 was the sole reason I got a 360 at launch, and I enjoyed every moment of it.

PGR4, however, had a more diverse and interesting selection of cars and cities-- Quebec and Macau were by themselves more fun to drive than anything in PGR3. It also had bikes, (if you're into that sort of thing), some truly fantastic weather effects, and a more dynamic and engaging sense of character and style.

Absolutely nothing beats wrestling a Maserati 250F around an early morning, snow-covered Nordschleife. So damn good.

ConvenientBox said:
PGR2 will always hold a special place in my heart. Edinburgh was racing nirvana for me in my skyline :(

Those were some of my favorite circuits in any racing game as well. Castle Eight was just unbelievable.

Mascot said:
Wow! Almost word-for-word before your stealth-edit the other day. You crazy anger!
Chillax man, it's all good fun.

Almost, I know. But I knew I would still need it. :lol I was really pissed the other day and when I read that crap again, I had to write it. Then I calmed down a bit and deleted my post. Today I'm pissed again and don't care.

e: And no, I'm not pissed because of the cryptic BS.

G Rom

PGR2's gameplay was the best. PGR4's cars are a bit too floaty and weightless IMO.
I'd also say that overall, PGR2 cities > PGR4 cities. Although Macau and Québec are among the best cities used in PGR games.

Just release a PGR game with the following cities, with full dynamic weather and time of day :

- Moscow
- Edinburgh
- Florence
- Barcelona
- Macau
- Québec
- St. Petersburg
- London
- San Francisco
- Nürburgring

Put PGR2's gameplay, dump bikes, have the same super photo realistic look as PGR4, bump massively the polygons count on cars, make it 1080p @ 60fps and release it for launch of Xbox 720. Hire me MS, I'll make decisions for you ! :D

saladine1 said:

I'll probably start thinking about the OT when I get back home later this week. I'll probably look into doing a spreadsheet to keep track of all the new stuff.

Mascot

Spaceman Spiff said:
True dat.

Unless Turn 10 throws us a bone or two, how else are we supposed to keep occupied?

Only 7 weeks to now, though. Goddamn, it's not that far at all.

Three weeks before *edit: Bernese Alps* demo.
Three weeks before gold?

amar212

brotkasten said:
Amar was enough, I don't need some lame copycat.

My *winds* were not that cryptic or vague to be honest.

I just couldn't say what was confirmed to BE in the game behind closed doors. And all details were very affirmative and attractive for incoming game and just to contextualize it - my announcements were made almost 16 months before GT5 finally hit the shelves and almost 6 months before GT PSP was announced, not to say I had to find a way to tell how new PSP (PSP Go) will be also unveiled at some point.

This is pretty much different situation. He have to say what is NOT in the game.

And he - together with T10 - is very aware what will happen if real information about what is NOT in the game spills early.

This is their usual tactics I have to say. They did the same with FM3. Nobody was really telling anything about *new* hoppers system and total dishing of Custom Public Lobbies. Even more, when press-review copies rolled out, online options were - naturally - unaccessible. So, we didn't have a clue that CPL will be gone.

Reviews were made without knowing it - and when truth was finally realized, it was too late.

Just imagine the flood of hate-topics everywhere on communities if we would already know this as confirmed (following is a pure speculation, so please take it as a vague scenario):

- no Porsche
- no Bathurst and Spa in retail disc-copy
- no open-wheel models in any class
- no night racing
- no wet racing
- no day/night > dry/wet transitions

It would be a community-PR nightmare. Whatever of above could become true, we will not know it before retail games comes on shelves. And also notice how 95% of mainstream media will not even take those examples above into concern when they got their hands on review codes. It would only mean something on *hard-core* online communities.

And keeping the real info covered by vague answers is the best strategy at this moment. Can't blame them really.

benzy

G Rom said:
PGR2's gameplay was the best. PGR4's cars are a bit too floaty and weightless IMO.
I'd also say that overall, PGR2 cities > PGR4 cities. Although Macau and Québec are among the best cities used in PGR games.

Just release a PGR game with the following cities, with full dynamic weather and time of day :

- Moscow
- Edinburgh
- Florence
- Barcelona
- Macau
- Québec
- St. Petersburg
- London
- San Francisco
- Nürburgring

Put PGR2's gameplay, dump bikes, have the same super photo realistic look as PGR4, bump massively the polygons count on cars, make it 1080p @ 60fps and release it for launch of Xbox 720. Hire me MS, I'll make decisions for you ! :D

I'll probably start thinking about the OT when I get back home later this week. I'll probably look into doing a spreadsheet to keep track of all the new stuff.

Can't forget Sydney. Bizarre's artist were damn amazing.

project_gotham_racing_drcc.jpg

Forza really needs some more city tracks. I wouldn't mind Hong Kong.

http://youtu.be/eiy2PDmiDyI

Mascot

I loved the PGR series but was never a fan of their narrow 90 degree corners, of which there were a LOT.
Shanghai in Shift 2 gives me flashbacks.

saladine1

G Rom said:
Yeah, that would be much appreciated.

benzy said:
Can't forget Sydney. Bizarre's artist were damn amazing.

project_gotham_racing_drcc.jpg
Hey, it's the harbour bridge. Years and years ago, that spot you see there used to host some amazing cars during the late hours of the night. We used to all hang out admiring each others cars, showing off and shit 'till the cops deemed it a "no loitering zone' and closed it off.
Ahhh, good times..

sneaky77

anyone really trying to take the cryptic statements seriously and getting hyped by them, should keep it in check to be honest.

I take them as a joke and I thought that most of the hype after them was ironic and for fun, but if some people are taking them to mean anything, then yea, it will only lead to disappointing.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Mascot said:
I loved the PGR series but was never a fan of their narrow 90 degree corners, of which there were a LOT.
Shanghai in Shift 2 gives me flashbacks.

Those made PGR, man I never had so much fun with 90 degree corners in a racing game more than PGR 2.

You finessed your turns as best you could, felt good. What I really loved about PGR 2 and always stood out was out the driving model, although moderately leaning to the arcade side it made it so that all the bumps on the road were REALLY felt and made you feel as if you screwed up with your timing you'd lose control if you came off a bump the wrong way on the road. You can fucking TELL how the road was reacting with your controller-s and how the rumble feedback felt ffs! GLORIOUS.

It was fucking awesome, they need to recapture that shit. Every bit of every track can be handled differently.

It's the sort of feeling that was also captured in F355 Challenge although as a simulator.

That's the sort of shit that would keep you busy with just one car and one track til you nearly mastered them both. Deep as fuck.

I'm encouraged seeing some of the bmw videos and all the apparent bumps on the road surfaces now and the suspension reacting to them, if they capture more of that magic then we'll be in heaven.

-edit

The cone challenges in PGR 2 REALLY made what I'm talking about apparent.

Mascot

Slayer-33 said:
I'm encouraged seeing some of the bmw videos and all the apparently bumps on the road surfaces now, if they captured more of that magic then we'll be in heaven.

Amen to that. Couple it with the increase in cockpit dynamics and FM4 could be a really visceral experience.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Mascot said:
Amen to that. Couple it with the more dynamic cockpit and FM4 could be really visceral experience.

Can't wait til we turn the hidden assists off. It's going to be a completely new experience.

Slayer-33 said:
What I really loved about PGR 2 and always stood out was out the driving model, although moderately leaning to the arcade side it made it so that all the bumps on the road were REALLY felt and made you feel as if you screwed up with your timing you'd lose control if you came off a bump the wrong way on the road. You can fucking TELL how the road was reacting with your controller-s and how the rumble feedback felt ffs! GLORIOUS.

This is true. The rumble feedback of PGR2 on the Controller S has never been improved by any racing game. And the rumble on the current wireless controllers is less anyway, to save batteries.

TheOddOne

BrokenSymmetry said:
In an interview in EDGE, Bizarre's boss (Martyn Chudley) mentioned that PGR3 was the most sim-like PGR they ever made, but he hinted that they weren't allowed to continue in that direction, because Microsoft already had Forza.
What a douchebag thing to do Microsoft. Hell, why not make a casual mode alongside the sim? Smh.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
BrokenSymmetry said:
This is true. The rumble feedback of PGR2 on the Controller S has never been improved by any racing game. And the rumble on the current wireless controllers is less anyway, to save batteries.

They also did something with the handling and how the analog stick reacted to input, I'm not sure if they gave the steering some sort of semi delayed soft release reaction after input to steering or what but I have never enjoyed a racing game with a controller as much as PGR 2.

TheOddOne said:
What a douchebag thing to do Microsoft. Hell, why not make a casual mode alongside the sim? Smh.

I would gladly take PGR2-2 in a heartbeat to side with FM 5 lol..

Mascot said:
No rumours and half-truths are currently as bad as they were two years ago when spin doctor Che was in full effect.
He's exactly the reason why I hate this crap. For me it's on the same level as the Facebook likes. Annoying and unnecessary teasing. I'm not saying that teasing is bad, but that's not the right way to do it.

RayStorm

Spaceman Spiff said:
PGR2 is still the greatest racing game ever made, but PGR4 was tantalizingly close to taking the title. What a shame that it was ignored; truly one of the great injustices of modern gaming. I cry myself to sleep every night knowing Bizarre will never again be at the helm another PGR. Without them, it's probably best the series remains dead.

You are so correct. Except the final sentence. I'd rather get a bad PGR than none. The old memories won't change and there is a chance it becomes a worthy successor.

enzo_gt said:
I'm a sucker for PGR talk. It's my favourite racing franchise ever.

Whenever PGR5 is mentioned I go into WANT WANT WANT mode, then nostalgia mode, then realization mode, then hope mode, then sadness mode at the possibilities of PGR5.

I don't think it'd be the same without Bizarre's physics.

Same for me, except I also experience frustration and despair along with the sadness. Quite a melodramatic cocktail of emotions for a video game actually ;)

It really is the greatest crime, even more so than SEGA being Sega that PGR did not sell to its quality.

Top Bottom