• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

Mascot

G Rom said:
We already know that Silverstone won't be updated, just like Suzuka. The only thing I'd want from the new Silverstone is the pit wing anyway, the new layout with the new starting line is just terrible, they managed to butcher yet another one of the greatest track in the world...

How do we know that Silverstone won't be updated, G? Losing Bridge was a blow, but I wouldn't go as far as saying the circuit has been butchered. It was still kind of sad yesterday walking down the old Bridge section instead of watching cars racing around it (it used to be one of my favourite spots to spectate on the old layout, a terrific high-speed corner) but the new Arena complex does now allow a fantastic overtaking run up to Brooklands. The grandstands around Maggotts, Becketts and Chapel also offer fantastic views of Arena so you get to see great action twice a lap now from these areas.

800px-Silverstone_Circuit_2010_version.png

The new pit and paddock building is also a lot more impressive, more imposing, in the flesh than it looks on TV. I had early access to the architect's plans for this building a few years ago and was never too impressed with what was proposed, especially compared to what was happening at other circuits like Abu Dhabi. But when you see it in front of you, it works. Sure, something making a much bolder architectural statement would have had more impact around the world, but it really was the only option with the available budget.

G Rom

We know it because BADNED confirmed the layouts of Silverstone.
Don't get me wrong, I think the new pit wing looks fantastic but IMO : Copse as first corner + bridge section >>>>>>>>>> new pit wing + new section + new first corner

eso76

eek5 said:
Either it's footage from before Forza, its a different track with a similar turn, or they went through and touched it up changing stuff. I think the last is most likely

No, Badned clearly stated it's exactly that part of that track. That's Camino, although an early version of the updated camino, he said.

Mascot

G Rom said:
We know it because BADNED confirmed the layouts of Silverstone.
Ah, I remember now. What a shame we can't get classic and new layouts of real circuits. Seems like big benefits for a little extra work in my simplified view of how these things work.

saladine1

I don't think Turn 10 is overly concerned with bringing a massive real world track count to the table. classic layouts or otherwise.
They believe that what they have is enough as long as the tracks have a hundred configs and that they look breathtaking.
Clearly, their concerns are with things that make people say 'wow!',which is totally understandable. I mean, Mr. Joe Average isn't bothered if we have classic Hockenheim or not, and these are the people that Turn 10 are targeting.
They also know that the core players will buy the game regardless, so why go through all that effort to try and please the minority?

Now, what are we going to see this week Turn 10?
Any good stuff planned for us?
Me am itchy and scratchy body. Me want fix of Forza. You fix for me Turn 10?
Give me fix for fux sakes.

saladine1 said:
I don't think Turn 10 is overly concerned with bringing a massive real world track count to the table. classic layouts or otherwise.
They believe that what they have is enough as long as the tracks have a hundred configs and that they look breathtaking.
Clearly, their concerns are with things that make people say 'wow!',which is totally understandable. I mean, Mr. Joe Average isn't bothered if we have classic Hockenheim or not, and these are the people that Turn 10 are targeting.
They also know that the core players will buy the game regardless, so why go through all that effort to try and please the minority?

This perspective is sad but true. I was having the same kind of thought with better wheel support. It's such a small (but frothing at the mouth, rabid and willing to drop $600+ to enjoy your game) percentage of the fanbase and I imagine it's a lot of work.

But then I see how they outsource stuff and I don't understand why the little details wheel support and photo exporting isn't outsourced since it's parts of the game that don't really need to "feel" like the rest.

It's such a dilemma, the more you enjoy a game, the more you want from it because in the back of my head I want this one game to do everything even though I know that's not possible!

Mascot

Saladine, how much do you believe (truly believe) from the hints you have received that Bathurst will be in FM4 (even if it is eventually as DLC)? I was beasting the shit out of this track on Shift 2 last night and I'd forgotten just how unbelieveably awesome it is as a racing circuit.

Shift 2 gets very unfair press by Joe Public, by the way. There is a much about it that deserves an awful lot of credit, not least its recreation of the filth and adrenaline of top-tier motor racing. I'm very glad it exists alongside titles like GT and Forza.

The Gamescom demo stations had terrible terrible jaggies. Lightning and environments look amazing, but the jaggies... horrible.

The Multiscreen, hydraulic cockpit didn't have jaggies at all, despite being on 3, 60 inch screens.
Man the cockpit simulator was tons of fun. Allthough the feedback wasn't as convincing as I hoped.

saladine1

Mascot said:
Saladine, how much do you believe (truly believe) from the hints you have received that Bathurst will be in FM4 (even if it is eventually as DLC)? I was beasting the shit out of this track on Shift 2 last night and I'd forgotten just how unbelieveably awesome it is as a racing circuit.

Shift 2 gets very unfair press by Joe Public, by the way. There is a much about it that deserves an awful lot of credit, not least its recreation of the filth and adrenaline of top-tier motor racing. I'm very glad it exists alongside titles like GT and Forza.
I agree. SHIFT 2 is a very welcome addition to the genre. So, it has it's flaws,(acknowledged by the devs) but the motorsport atmosphere and racing, is hands down the best i've seen.

Bathurst. Mount Panorama.The Mountain....I really believe it's in FM4. Not only did we get hints from a certain someone, but i've also received some confirmation from people in Bathurst itself. Obviously, this doesn't gaurantee anything but it's comforting nevertheless.
Another thing, I hope from the bottom of my heart, that we don't get 'Blue Mountains' from FM1. I don't want a fucking knock off Turn 10, I just don't. There's no excuse for a wanted track(Spa included),not to be featured after all this time.
If I find out that we could've had Spa and Bathurst in the game but some smart person said,"Fuck that, I need a holiday anyway, so let's make a track out of the Alps instead", then I will have myself comitted because I WILL GO MENTAL!!

saladine1 said:
I agree. SHIFT 2 is a very welcome addition to the genre. So, it has it's flaws,(acknowledged by the devs) but the motorsport atmosphere and racing, is hands down the best i've seen.

Bathurst. Mount Panorama.The Mountain....I really believe it's in FM4.
Not only did we get hints from a certain someone, but i've also received some confirmation from people in Bathurst itself. Obviously, this doesn't gaurantee anything but it's comforting nevertheless.
Another thing, I hope from the bottom of my heart, that we don't get 'Blue Mountains' from FM1. I don't want a fucking knock off Turn 10, I just don't. There's no excuse for a wanted track(Spa included),not to be featured after all this time.
If I find out that we could've had Spa and Bathurst in the game but some smart person said,"Fuck that, I need a holiday anyway, so let's make a track out of the Alps instead", then I will have myself comitted because I WILL GO MENTAL!!

No. Maybe in FM5, but not 4.

Mascot

saladine1 said:

We can play chess together in the asylum when I find out what cars were dropped in favour of the Nissan Leaf and PT Cruiser.

That Alps jaunt was nothing more than a holiday and a photo-op, and a big waste of resources. Google images could have told them everything they needed to know about Switzerland. Go to Belgium instead you freeloading fuckers!

;)

DD

enzo_gt said:
I don't think it'd be the same without Bizarre's physics.
Shaneus said:
My favourite driving model in any game to date (by far) is PGR4.
LOL, that's the only down side of PGR4, IMO. It simply don't make sense to me. For an arcadey game, Grid physics makes a lot more sense to me. It's unrealistic, but you always knows what the car is going to do, like any simulator.

But yeah, id exchange two Forzas for one PGR. Sorry, Turn 10 guys here on GAF, I love Forza, but PGR lives in my heart. It's my favorite racing franchise of the last decade. ;(

Megasoum

Banned
Mascot said:

Agree..and with some mods on PC you can even fix the physics. The track selection in this game is simply mind blowing. I would say that of all the track in the world there is maybe 3 missing in Shift 2 that I would really want to see (Road Atlanta, Mosport and LeMans) but other than that...man Bathurst, Spa, Silverstone, Monza, Donington, Dijon-Prenois, Hockeneim,Laguna Seca, Nurburgring (GP and Nordschleif), Road America, Suzuka, Zolder and Brands Hatch.

A bunch of great fantasy tracks. Hell.. Riviera, the Monaco imitation, is better than the original! lol It's Monaco without the boring parts and with more high speed sections.

Oh and if you get the Legends DLC (free on PC), you get the old Hockeneim, the old Silverstone and Old Monza!

This is just CRAZY!! Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for Forza 4 but looking at what's known of the FM4 track list so far, it looks a bit boring...

Here's the track list if anbody is curious: http://www.needforspeed.com/shift2unleashed/tracks

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Daniel Dantas said:
LOL, that's the only down side of PGR4, IMO. It simply don't make sense to me. For an arcadey game, Grid physics makes a lot more sense to me. It's unrealistic, but you always knows what the car is going to do, like any simulator.

But yeah, id exchange two Forzas for one PGR. Sorry, Turn 10 guys here on GAF, I love Forza, but PGR lives in my heart. It's my favorite racing franchise of the last decade. ;(
Grid physics, as in the game GRID? I think those physics are the worst ever put into an arcade style racing game IMO.

I never had a problem "knowing what my car is going to do" in PGR4, not sure what that means exactly.

I only played PGR4 once, and I really didn't like the driving. Loved the tracks and the weather though.

I tried the demo of Shift (the first one), taking an Exige race car around Spa. Quit after Eau Rouge, the controls were so bad. Was pretty disappointed, as Spa is my favourite track.

saladine1

enzo_gt said:
Grid physics, as in the game GRID? I think those physics are the worst ever put into an arcade style racing game IMO.

I never had a problem "knowing what my car is going to do" in PGR4, not sure what that means exactly.
GRID's physics were shocking, even by arcade standards(not worse than TDU2 though..). PGR has a much better feel, probably a benchmark in the genre...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
saladine1 said:
GRID's physics were shocking, even by arcade standards(not worse than TDU2 though..). PGR has a much better feel, probably a benchmark in the genre...
Were TDU2's physics even worse than TDU1's?

I swear the physics in TDU1 made it about 400x worse of a game than it could have been.

Got home from work and was watching Ronin on Netflix. Had to stop halfway through to play some Forza 3.

Cant watch that movie without feeling the need to drive German cars very fast :)

Xanadu

Banned
soundscream said:
Got home from work and was watching Ronin on Netflix. Had to stop halfway through to play some Forza 3.

Cant watch that movie without feeling the need to drive German cars very fast :)
lets hope the e34 m5 is in forza 4

saladine1

enzo_gt said:

I swear the physics in TDU1 made it about 400x worse of a game than it could have been.
Imo,yes. TDU1 handled much better than it's successor.

amar212

enzo_gt said:

TDU1 physics were excellent after the "professional" patch that added wheel support and related physics. Of course, we're talking about cars only.

TDU2 physics are just unrepairable mess.

On PGR note, I find PGR3 physics best (also I talk about PGR3 version with wheel-physics support that was released after the original game).

PGR4 physics were fine, but PGR3 physics owns it - I am speaking about the wheel playing, I did not even bother to play those games on controller except for the bikes-parts (notice I had Microsoft FF wheel back at the time).

I used to play PGR3 as a full grip-racing game (no powersliding, no drifting) and it was a blast. PGR4 messed it up with more "automated" powerslides and scripted drift-sequence made to cater easier execution of drifting for Kudos-collecting. Unlike PGR3, PGR4 couldn't be driven as grip-game and that is the reason I really prefer PGR3 physics. Same to TDU1.

Combination of PGR3 and TDU1 physics - with proper 900 degree inclusion of course, all X360 games were locked at 270 degrees on wheels, with exclusion of Forza 3 - would be best arcade physics ever.

DD

enzo_gt said:

Grid physics is great. The handling is bad though. Cars feel too light weight. But the reactions were fine.

saladine1 said:
PGR4 handling + physics are weird. I can't fell what the car is doing, like it's floating over the road. It seems that there's a weight transfer problem, dunno...

But at least the cars seemed heavier than Grid's.

amar212 said:
PGR4 couldn't be driven as grip-game

I agree.

saladine1

You know, for all the times Dan says that he's a physics geek and loves simulation etc.., he hardly ever talks about it!
It's like, " I love physics and tires and simulation to bits, i'm a nerd...so here's some beautiful snow in the alps.."

Edit: wait, did he just say classic 70's Toyota Corolla?

d6HeB.jpg

Nice!
That was my first ever car...

Mascot

soundscream said:
He should make one of those keyrings that spew soundbites and quotes at the push of a button like the Mr T one. When he feels his voice going he could whip it out and spam the buttons like fuck.
"Incubate...in-in-in-incubate. Gamers into car incubate. Incubate. Tyre-tyre-tyre physics. Bernese Alps. Bernese Alps".

saladine1

Mascot said:
He should make one of those keyrings that spew soundbites and quotes at the push of a button like the Mr T one. When he feels his voice going he could whip it out and spam the buttons like fuck.
"Incubate...in-in-in-incubate. Gamers into car incubate. Incubate. Tyre-tyre-tyre physics. Bernese Alps. Bernese Alps".
Holy shit!
That's fucking hilarious!
I'd buy a thousand of them.

Edit: Anyone want to have a go at a Dan Greenawalt remix video?

The Stig

Xanadu said:
lets hope the e34 m5 is in forza 4
i believe it was the e39 sir.

and I echo your hope. This is a phenomenal car with a great engine. passed over for almost every game EVER.

a better looking and handling car than the e60 but the last and ONLY game it has been in is NFSHP2.

amar212 said:
PGR4 physics were fine, but PGR3 physics owns it

I used to play PGR3 as a full grip-racing game (no powersliding, no drifting) and it was a blast. PGR4 messed it up with more "automated" powerslides and scripted drift-sequence made to cater easier execution of drifting for Kudos-collecting. Unlike PGR3, PGR4 couldn't be driven as grip-game and that is the reason I really prefer PGR3 physics.

In an interview in EDGE, Bizarre's boss (Martyn Chudley) mentioned that PGR3 was the most sim-like PGR they ever made, but he hinted that they weren't allowed to continue in that direction, because Microsoft already had Forza.

PGR2 is still the greatest racing game ever made, but PGR4 was tantalizingly close to taking the title. What a shame that it was ignored; truly one of the great injustices of modern gaming. I cry myself to sleep every night knowing Bizarre will never again be at the helm another PGR. Without them, it's probably best the series remains dead.

The Stig said:
i believe it was the e39 sir.

and I echo your hope. This is a phenomenal car with a great engine. passed over for almost every game EVER.

a better looking and handling car than the e60 but the last and ONLY game it has been in is NFSHP2.

You're in luck:

BADNED said:
1999 M5 E39

Finally, pack it up guys. The dream is (in all probability) dead:

Skate-Zilla @ ForzaCentral said:
I think its 6 from that point on, as they are trying to reveal all the cars before the game launches.

i have inside info that will be a heartbreaker when the NDA is lifted.

BADNED @ ForzaCentral said:
When you believe in the wrong a heartbreak is imminent once you hear the truth.

The Stig

Spaceman Spiff said:
PGR2 is still the greatest racing game ever made, but PGR4 was tantalizingly close to taking the title. What a shame that it was ignored; truly one of the great injustices of modern gaming. I cry myself to sleep every night knowing Bizarre will never again be at the helm another PGR. Without them, it's probably best the series remains dead.

You're in luck:

do you mean its NOT in the game? this quote doesnt tell me much

The Stig

Spaceman Spiff said:
It's on ForzaCentral's confirmed car list. If BADNED says it's in, it's in.
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

edit - so whats the guy above me posting?

Xun

Speaking of PGR4, driving old Mini Coopers through London is by far the most fun you can have in a racing game.

Me and my friend were doing it in split-screen yesterday.

So good.

Mascot

Those BADNED/Skate Zilla cryptic quotes could mean absolutely anything to anyone. Nostradamus perfected this technique in the middle ages. Keep everything vague enough and people will hear what they want to hear..! :lol

DD

Spaceman Spiff said:
PGR2 is still the greatest racing game ever made, but PGR4 was tantalizingly close to taking the title.

I'd say it is the best of the last 10 years. My favorite one is RAC Rally Championship, from the 90's. PGR4 was amazing indeed, bur PGR2 is still the best of the series IMO too. ;)

saladine1

Spaceman Spiff said:

You're in luck:

So, what's this concerning,tracks,cars,night or what?
I'm sick of this cryptic shit..

Mascot said:
Those BADNED/Skate Zilla cryptic quotes could mean absolutely anything to anyone. Nostradamus perfected this technique in the middle ages. Keep everything vague enough and people will hear what they want to hear..! :lol

This post is really telling of what the future might hold.

Top Bottom