• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

Xanadu

Banned
eso76 said:
No, they are basically the same. GT5 claims 500k poly models, i've seen 450k poly models in fm3 (i didn't count them, i extracted and imported the models in 3dstudio).
The figure for GT5 models includes some of the interiors (for when hood and doors come off etc) which are not modeled in forza.

And no, they are not nearly the same ingame ! Not at all, they are VERY different. Not as different as Fm3's, but take a good look up close and you realize you're looking at something below 100k, probably more like 70k or 80k.
really? i never noticed as all the curves look the same and you can see the interior through the window still, in forza 3s in game models the cars look forza 2 level as the wheel arches and other curves are not very round and the interior is blacked out

eso76

Metalmurphy said:
GT5 ingame models are not the same as menus/photo travel (but they are the same in replays). But 70k-80k? Lets not get crazy...

Yes, gameplay models are the same as in replays, which are different from phototravel and menu.
70k 80k is not a small amount, mind you. It may appear as such if you believe all figures developers throw around when talking about their games, but it's a more than decent amount.
Though you're right, i meant that not taking cockpits / interiors and wheels + rims in consideration, so that might be more like 125/150k polys for your car (other cars' cockpits are not full lod). Certainly not much more than that.

Too lazy to take pictures now, but i will if you want.

The reason why you don't notice, is PD probably tweaked lods by hand, instead of running models through some automatic 'reduce polys' algorithm. They cut polys by hand where you wouldn't notice and where it didn't matter, so the extruded, fully modeled 'citroen c4' on the back of that car becomes a flat polygon with a texture and bump mapping ingame, for example. Nothing wrong with that.

Actually wait, i JUST stumbled upon these on another forum.
I took these comparison shots

ingame gt5 model versus full spec fm3 model

http://i.imgur.com/1mDyt.jpg

(fm3 model is noticeably more rounded and detailed)

ingame gt5 model versus INGAME fm3 model (i took pics of cpu cars, so models DID NOT get swapped with high poly ones)

http://i.imgur.com/uGxnJ.jpg

what i never got around to was taking a GT5 phototravel vs Fm3 photomode test.

now please let's just drop this !

TimBrad

Neo Member
Welcome the 1986 BMW M635CSi, Audi Sport Quattro and 1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI to Forza 4!

Awesome news on the M635CSi!

Shame the Rabbit is returning in Rabbit rather that Golf MK1 guise, but its the same thing at the end of the day!!

FM4 Under the Hood Part 1

Great article with in-depth explanations of Rivals mode, public lobbies, the new level system and reward structure, etc.

But let's get to the megaton; from Dan himself:

This kills me. While Forza Motorsport 4 will feature RUF, it will not include Porsche cars. As many of you know, since the beginning of the Forza franchise, the Porsche license has been available only through a sub-licensing deal with EA. In Forza 3, we were able to feature more than 35 different Porsche models by offering to collaborate with EA. For Forza 4, we were looking forward to adding even more Porsche cars, and we were especially looking forward to featuring multiple Porsche experiences in our new Autovista mode. In the end, however, EA couldn’t see their way towards collaborating again.

We’ve asked our contacts at EA to reconsider their position frequently and regularly over the last 18 months. We also reached out to various influential people in gaming to lobby on our behalf, and on your behalf, but that was to no avail.

In our business, we stay friendly with all of the manufacturers and licensors necessary to deliver players rich and innovative automotive experiences. As you’d expect, this includes quite a few key people in Porsche circles. To make sure we tried everything, we consulted with these advocates and were happy to find they were already aware of the situation and lobbying from within on behalf of Forza 4--and, despite the result, we thank them for their efforts.

While we respect EA’s need to run their business as they see fit, we’ve regularly collaborated in the past and hope we can find our way back to that approach. Forza had the exclusive license for all Ferrari cars, for example, on the Xbox and PC platforms. But at the end of the day, we’ve always found that we just weren’t willing to block other racing games from having Ferraris outright, as we believed that this would do nothing but hurt the racing ecosystem.

I’m very sorry for all of this. Fans shouldn’t have to think about any of this – you should just be able to drive Porsches and Ferraris in the games you love. Porsche makes wonderful cars and I’m sorry that we won’t have them in Forza 4. As I mentioned earlier, we have added three RUF cars in Forza 4. RUF is a manufacturer in their own right, not simply an aftermarket mod shop—they completely remanufacture and enhance the models that they start from, and the results are unique, incredibly fast, and the cars look great. Losing more than 35 Porsche models is a lost opportunity for Porsche fans (as well as a lost opportunity to make future Porsche fans), but I hope that Forza 4 players understand and enjoy the new makes and models that have taken their place.

So there you have it.

Fuck EA, and major props to Turn 10 for trying so hard to get Porsche in the game.

Oh, and fuck EA.

Wow, seeing it worded like that really makes you realize how stupid EA is. They had a chance to make goodwill with car fans, video gaming fans and even people inside Porsche. But they instead elect to do this stupid move, for what? To have 5 different Porsches in NFS:The Run? We lose 35+ cars because they don't want to share?

Jesus, this is the stupidest shit. But we have to remember part of the blame falls on Porsche for even allowing a company to have exclusive access to their cars.

Ugh, such a goddam waste.

While we respect EA’s need to run their business as they see fit, we’ve regularly collaborated in the past and hope we can find our way back to that approach. Forza had the exclusive license for all Ferrari cars, for example, on the Xbox and PC platforms. But at the end of the day, we’ve always found that we just weren’t willing to block other racing games from having Ferraris outright, as we believed that this would do nothing but hurt the racing ecosystem.
"But since EA won't give us their toys, we won't give them our toys, so fuck Ferrari in NFS."

watership

Autovista is going to be huge, people who don't play games are going to mess with it and love it. and someone at Porsche is going to ask "Why aren't we in this?" and heads will roll.

eek5

fuuuuuck... I was looking forward to importing this

mcdonalds.jpg

:( :( :( :(

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
watership said:
Autovista is going to be huge, people who don't play games are going to mess with it, and someone at Porsche is going to ask "Why aren't we in this?" and heads will roll.

This.

FUCK YOU EA, you never cease to disappoint me.

You fucking video game industry cancer.

I fucking love Porsches but the fucking scumbags had to cock block T10.

What fucking weasel bitches.

Porsche shouldn't be missing for FM 4 or the GT series for that matter.

We’ve asked our contacts at EA to reconsider their position frequently and regularly over the last 18 months. We also reached out to various influential people in gaming to lobby on our behalf, and on your behalf, but that was to no avail.

Jesus EA holy fuck you classless bitches.

eek5

On the bright side Rivals mode sounds awesome and this is cool

In Forza 4, the car no longer levels. Now the player gains manufacturer specific levels, called “affinity levels”. In this system, if you race in a BMW, you gain BMW-specific XP. You can buy and sell multiple BMWs without changing your BMW XP. Your BMW XP is only changed by the miles you race in BMWs. This XP leads to manufacturer-specific levels. These levels reward you with huge manufacturer-specific part discounts (up to 100 percent free parts), large cash bonuses (up to 150,000CR), as well as Badges and Titles for your Forza Player Card (more on that below). Level five manufacturer affinity takes about 30 minutes of racing. It gives you 100 percent part discounts (except on wheels, swaps, and body kits). This allows you to experiment with different part combinations without putting money on the line. Rather than five levels per car, we now have 50 levels per manufacturer. We used logged community data from Forza 3 to set the Affinity level milestone. Our target was to have less than one percent of our players have any manufacturer up to level 50 within 24 months.

I've been buying level 5 cars from AH to rebuild my save and I feel like such a cheater rofl.

Also CTRL+F DLC not found D:

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Can't T10 eventually get Porsche into FM 4 if they resolve this bullshit with EA?

BTW GREAT use of the Porsche license EA I really mean it.

/sarfuckingcasm

T10 needs to whore the fuck out of FM 4 and autovista to display it's majesty to Porsche. They need to see the love they put in for the current AV cars.

Porsche needs to be in this god dammit!

eek5

I'm guessing T10 tried really hard over the last 18 months to come to an agreement or Dan wouldn't be throwing EA under the bus. EA really are scumbags :(

Someone start a new thread that way Joystiq can report it.

Between this and the Origin spyware story, EA is returning to their old ways and burning any goodwill they've generated in the past few years.

DasRaven

And so I enact my original response plan to this expected news.

1. Keep FM3 indefinitely.
2. Boycott NFS series for the rest of recorded time.
3. Wait for Porsche to drop EA like a hot rock.
4. Look forward to FM5 having Autovista-level Porsche models on track for Xbox720.

Does this mean that Porsche can NEVER be in F4? I mean, if they resolved the licesning rights, couldnt they do a special Porsche DLC pack for F4, including Autovista mode?

eek5

skyfinch said:
What exactly is RUF? And does having them, at the very least, ease the pain of not have Porsche at all?
They manufacture cars using porsche bodies/chassis. They might look like Porsches on the outside but they aren't :(

Jamesways

skyfinch said:
What exactly is RUF? And does having them, at the very least, ease the pain of not have Porsche at all?
No, not if you're a motorsport fan. RUF is a separate manufacturer that builds and expands on Porsches' bodies and chasis, doing their own work with their own parts.

We'll get a few comparable street cars, but they'll be no racing models. No GTC class cars, no GT3 cup cars, no ALMS GT3 RS models, no LMP prototypes old or new.

Shitty move by EA. But props for Turn 10 for trying to get them to deal.

BOOOOOO EA.

Edit- beat.

I had long prepared for no Porsche in here, knowing GT5 didn't have them either i figured it was inevitable....but Dan's description really puts the cherry on how shitty this license deal is.

HokieJoe

amar212 said:
I still feel unthinkable sadness every time I remember how all those assets for all PGR games - terabytes of data and hundreds of thousands man hours - are now wasted and collecting dust somewhere.

Barcelona
Chicago
Edinburgh
Florence
Hong Kong
Moscow
Stockholm
Sydney
Washington
Long Beach
Paris

My God, when listed in one single place it becomes a drama.

Someone should really find a way to resurrect those locations and tracks, give them a proper HD treatment, give us just 10 cars to race on (ones that do not need heavy licensing) and wheel support.

I would gladly pay 100 moneys for some Project Gotham World title, where all tracks and cities would be combined. So much sadness.

Oh my. I spent so many hours on those tracks. I really miss them. It really is a shame Turn10 can't find a way to utilize them.

U n i o n 0015 said:
Fuck EA, SO, SO HARD.

But hey, props to T10 for getting the info out to everyone before release and being honest about it.
This, exactly.

Does this mean the Shift series will have legs? I certainly hope so.

HokieJoe

AlanzTalon said:
I had long prepared for no Porsche in here, knowing GT5 didn't have them either i figured it was inevitable....but Dan's description really puts the cherry on how shitty this license deal is.

Yeah, and fuck Porsche for agreeing to such ridiculous terms.

NullPointer said:
This, exactly.

I don't. I actually didn't enjoy Shift and this makes me dislike it even more.

Fuck EA. The Porsche was one of my favorite cars in FM3.

Ah well, hopefully dropping this bombshell is just setting up for a super-surprise! Positive thinking!

NullPointer said:
This, exactly.

I thought the Shift series was dead, after EA sent Shift 2 to die. It wasnt even called Need For Speed anymore. Slightly Mad Studios confirmed that they didn't get a deal for a third game.

Shaneus

HokieJoe said:
Yeah, and fuck Porsche for agreeing to such ridiculous terms.
Agreed. Though it's been in place for a really long time, hasn't it? I'm sure it happened around the time of Porsche Unleashed.

But yeah, fuck EA. When even the guys at Porsche themselves lament their cars not being in Forza, the only cunts are the ones that hold their exclusivity. With any luck Turn 10 can strongarm EA with holding back on Ferrari.

BTW, is there a thread for this yet? I want to bitch some more.

skyfinch

Shaneus said:
Agreed. Though it's been in place for a really long time, hasn't it? I'm sure it happened around the time of Porsche Unleashed.

But yeah, fuck EA. When even the guys at Porsche themselves lament their cars not being in Forza, the only cunts are the ones that hold their exclusivity. With any luck Turn 10 can strongarm EA with holding back on Ferrari.

BTW, is there a thread for this yet? I want to bitch some more.

Oh, there's a thread, alright. It's getting a bit messy in there.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442283

I'm stay in this thread.

eek5

brotkasten said:
I thought the Shift series was dead, after EA sent Shift 2 to die. It wasnt even called Need For Speed anymore. Slightly Mad Studios confirmed that they didn't get a deal for a third game.
WTF? So they're not sublicensing to protect NFS: The Run? ...

... :(

shinnn

Shame about the Porsche's.

He said 3 RUF's, so there's one more to be revealed right?

Forza Garage Round 2:

1986 BMW M635CSi (new)
1983 Audi Sport Quattro
1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI

2vv76kl.jpg

Jamesways

brotkasten said:

Oh yeah, EA burned that bridge so hard they nuked the riverbed. There will be no sim type game or Shift or SMS partnership ever again. You think SMS will look lightly at forced layoffs right after release?

Look forward to HP/Carbon/Underground racing from here on out. From my trip to Guildford, I understand Criterion isn't exactly open with or trusts EA completely either. Black Box, like the good old days, it may only be in the future.

Like I said, it's sad that FM3 and Shift 2 will be the last of any racing class Porsches for some time.

Shaneus

That Beamer looks fucking beastly.

I remember there was an awesome BMW from the 80s in PGR4... anyone know if it's in F3 or 4?

Fake edit: It's the M1 Procar.

Top Bottom