• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

eso76

yeah, night racing could very well be replaced with fog.
You guys just want to see nice looking lighting effects :p

Thinking of it, all my reasoning about today's reveal is assuming there's a new behind the scenes video or the reveal is big enough to warrant new footage.
If it's just a track appearing in the track section of fm.net and nothing else, then all my reasons for thinking it has to be a significant update are worthless.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Trunchisholm said:
I am. I hate most night racing unless it's in a street circuit. Even then, I barely tolerated it in PGR4. To me, it's just no fun.
I liked it on TXR 2 but you can actually see. :p

Shaneus

Honestly, I think I'd prefer something like AV than night racing. I don't know why, but I just think I'd get more entertainment, knowledge and replay value out of it than cruising around in different lighting conditions.

Having said that, pitch-black Fujimi Kaido dorifto would be pretty epic.

Diablohead said:
so happy that the driver turns the wheel more then 5degrees now when using a pad, that shit was annoying in forza 3 especially in regular cars.

Yeah it's a little detail but adds quite a lot when struggling to get your car under control in a corner. In FM3 it simply looked undramatic as hell.

Hyoushi said:
That isn't Hockenheim though, it's the Nurburgring GP track.

Thanks for pointing that out^^ How embarassing.

amar212

Night racing is great thing but for experienced players who are aware of the tracks.

Also, night racing is not so interesting without day/night transitions were it drastically influences performance of particular players in longer races.

Further issue are actual drawbacks of night racing that influences tire wear and engine peformance (temperature, himidity). GT5 went very far with inclusion of both but general audience never actually acknowldged such acomplishemnt, mostly because 99% of players can't properly evaluate differences due to lack of their personal performance and contextualize evaluations of small changes in factors that are changed during nighttime and dawn.

I hope that processsing power of incoming gen will allow to make those things more significant in genre because only in that case night racing have real immerssion meaning besides visual changes to visibility.

AMUSIX

12 years ago:
Test_Drive_Le_Mans_Coverart.png

dynamic weather, dynamic day/night cycle, Brno, Donnington...

I think we have another 8 years to go before we see these properly done again....

Shaneus

amar212 said:
Night racing is great thing but for experienced players who are aware of the tracks.

Also, night racing is not so interesting without day/night transitions were it drastically influences performance of particular players in longer races.
Gah, remember the night racing in Le Mans 24 on Dreamcast? Shit TOTALLY blew me away. Such an accomplishment for a game released around 2000. Nailed the night racing in that... was also the first game I remember seeing glowing disc brakes. RIP Melbourne House.

Edit: Fuck, that's spooky. I was sitting on this post for at least 20 mins looking for a decent YT vid of the night racing in 24hr.

Xanadu

Banned
Trunchisholm said:
I am. I hate most night racing unless it's in a street circuit. Even then, I barely tolerated it in PGR4. To me, it's just no fun.
i love night racing with poor visibility, its scary just like real life and adds a whole new dimension to a track. rain and snow too. night racing in GTR2 is the most exciting racing experience ever

Xanadu said:
i love night racing with poor visibility, its scary just like real life and adds a whole new dimension to a track. rain and snow too. night racing in GTR2 is the most exciting racing experience ever

That goes on to show that I'm just a pussy who doesn't deserve to belong to the GAF Racing Master Race. I'm too afraid of the dark. :S

For every Rivals mode event you are automatically assigned a rival (usually an Xbox LIVE friend), or you can manually set any player on the leaderboard as your rival. By beating your rival, you get bonus credits based on that rival’s leaderboard percentile rank and the size of the board. If the rival is in the top percentile on a well-populated board, their bounty is very large

Wow, that is fantastic. You can use that to gain insight on how to race better.

I wonder if the Auto Club thing will have the rivals implemented into it. So you won't have to add 50 friends, you can just join the club that you want to play with (like the GAF club)

. So, we used logged community data from Forza 3 to set the new Player Level milestone. Our target: have less than one percent of our players have hit level 150 within 24 months. In other words, reaching the player level cap in Forza 4 is going to take even the most dedicated players a long time.

Delicious, the game that keeps on giving. I remember slowing down with Forza 3 because I was at 41 or 42 and didn't want to burn out all my gift cars. Knowing that it goes for so long is awesome.

Jamesways

Xanadu said:

I had fun in Shift 2 with the GT1 race at Spa at night.

The 5 lap endurance race on the Ring at night to beat Tommy Milner was some of the most intense, stressful racing I've ever experienced in a game. Depends on the car you use of course, but the Ring at night was a completely different beast.
Scary as hell is right.

AMUSIX said:
12 years ago:
Test_Drive_Le_Mans_Coverart.png

dynamic weather, dynamic day/night cycle, Brno, Donnington...

I think we have another 8 years to go before we see these properly done again....
Holy flashback batman.

In college I actually did a 24hr race in like a 29hr period.

cbox

I'm in the night hating crowd, does nothing for me and I haven't liked it since the night tracks in gran turismo 1.

Give me different times of the day, morning noon and dusk and it's good for me.

As for weather, GT5 did it very VERY poorly (imo), now some of the rain tracks look pretty good at night but I don't think any dev can muscle out amazing effects (pgr4) at 60fps with current hardware. It does get me excited to see what everyone does next gen though.

Xanadu

Banned
ConvenientBox said:
I'm in the night hating crowd, does nothing for me and I haven't liked it since the night tracks in gran turismo 1.

Give me different times of the day, morning noon and dusk and it's good for me.

As for weather, GT5 did it very VERY poorly (imo), now some of the rain tracks look pretty good at night but I don't think any dev can muscle out amazing effects (pgr4) at 60fps with current hardware. It does get me excited to see what everyone does next gen though.
the thing is we could have "next gen" games right now on PC, but nobody wants to make a racing sim with good graphics for PC for some reason -.-

shinnn said:
He said 3 RUF's, so there's one more to be revealed right?

Possible candidates:

CTR3
RGT (flat six, not V8)
Yellow Bird?

Poor RUF. They're always the go-to manufacturer for 911 bodies but less than a handful of their cars ever get used :/

I remember when the other game was in talks with Porsche when the EA license was expiring a few years ago, then suddenly EA/Porsche signed a new 10 year deal (iirc) so that was the end of that.

smfh @ EA. even more smfh @ Porsche >_>

DasRaven

fu3lfr3nzy said:
Possible candidates:
CTR3
RGT (flat six, not V8)
Yellow Bird?

I'd vote Yellowbird/CTR as well, the RT12R covers the 3.8H6TT, so adding the CTR3 would be duplicative of the RT12R engine-wise and it isn't really great looking IMO. I'd rather have a 930 body and 3.4H6TT.

Alternately, include the CTR3 for the body, then add the RTurbo (996), 3600S (986 Boxster), and RK Coupe (987 Cayman) as DLC.

I wonder how close they can get the aftermarket bodykits on the RUFs to look like the standard Porsche...because a little bodykit here and there, some engine swaps, and some livery trickery could get one pretty close....

AlanzTalon said:
I wonder how close they can get the aftermarket bodykits on the RUFs to look like the standard Porsche...because a little bodykit here and there, some engine swaps, and some livery trickery could get one pretty close....
I never thought people would suggest kit cars for Forza. :lol

saladine1

flyinpiranha said:
Wow, that is fantastic. You can use that to gain insight on how to race better.

I wonder if the Auto Club thing will have the rivals implemented into it. So you won't have to add 50 friends, you can just join the club that you want to play with (like the GAF club)

Delicious, the game that keeps on giving. I remember slowing down with Forza 3 because I was at 41 or 42 and didn't want to burn out all my gift cars. Knowing that it goes for so long is awesome.
You know the reason why they went from lvl 50 to 150?
Because of FM5....that is all..

boris feinbrand said:
Youtube finally uploaded my video:

Sorry for the shaky camera and the suck ass driving, but drifting around corners with the BMW M5 was tons of fun:

Gamescom Gameplay
I swear, it looks like the cars behave even more realistically than ever before...or is it just me?

saladine1

Just realized that we wont be getting any dedicated autocross tracks either..

I know Porsche fans will hate me for this but the good out of the bad is that we get NEW manufacturers for the game. This is a blessing...for me anyway.

Yellowbird!

Also, any sign of Callaway being in the game? Either as a manufacturer or body kit supplier? I want the C4 'aerobody'. A Z06.R GT3 car would be much loved too.

Xanadu

Banned
saladine1 said:

I know Porsche fans will hate me for this but the good out of the bad is that we get NEW manufacturers for the game. This is a blessing...for me anyway.
its not really new though its just a replacement for porsche, which sucks

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
level 5 manufacturer affinity takes approx 30 min of driving and nets you 100% discounts on all parts upgrades (not wheels, kits, or swaps).

that is insane. i guess ts good news, as the vast majority of our in game money will go towards buying new cars rather then upgrading. this should be especially nice when it comes to DLC since forza (3 anyways) had the dumb system of making you pay twice for a car - once with MS points for the download and again with in game credits to race with it.

jcutner

saladine1 said:

Yeah...
I was hoping for FM1 style cone-based autocross "parking lots"

:(

Jamesways

CrudeDiatribe said:
Yellowbird!

Also, any sign of Callaway being in the game? Either as a manufacturer or body kit supplier? I want the C4 'aerobody'. A Z06.R GT3 car would be much loved too.

Ooooh, the C12 from PGR3 was one of my favorite cars, great looking cockpit too. That'd be a wonderful addition.

op_ivy said:
level 5 manufacturer affinity takes approx 30 min of driving and nets you 100% discounts on all parts upgrades (not wheels, kits, or swaps).

that is insane. i guess ts good news, as the vast majority of our in game money will go towards buying new cars rather then upgrading. this should be especially nice when it comes to DLC since forza (3 anyways) had the dumb system of making you pay twice for a car - once with MS points for the download and again with in game credits to race with it.

I always had my car upgraded so I never got utilize the discounts from leveling up my car so this is a welcomed change.

Top Bottom