• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 has "wet weather, 3D puddles and night races" + more

Lug Nuts

Banned
Wait......WHAT?!??!??!

This is pretty much my response. I mean, SERIOUSLY, Turn10, the community aspect is the most important part of this game to me!!! My play time on Forza 4 compared to Forza 5 is ridiculous and that's ALL because of the community fuck up.

They seem to ignore many big requests from their hardcore fans. Weird. They did it before so it can't be that hard.

Not sure about these to be honest... They wouldn't be out of place in Horizon (especially the crew mods) but in the mainline motorsport series? I don't see how its necessary... It just makes the game more geared up to cater towards people who really want an arcade racer.

Also, are you guys going to monetize these?

I really hope not.
I don't see a reason for them to exist if monetization isn't the plan, either at launch or somewhere down the line. Packs and rarities and advantages ahoy!

Not interested in these kinds of RPG % bonuses in a game like Forza Motorsport. This seems like a better fit for a game like The Crew, with its leveling and lootish systems.

Boost mods and that kinda stuff aren't things I think I'd use but they don't affect anybody who wants 'pure' forza racing and might add to the experience for less serious players.

I don't have a problem with it.

terrible

Banned
Forza GAF need suggestion.

I am getting

Thurstmaster TX - 450$ CAD with tax
And Wheel stand - 150$ CAD with shipping

Does this sound good? Reasonable?

I looked into playseat but its almost 500$ :( is it really worth it?

I'm in the same situation. I'm kicking myself for not buying the TX when it was on sale for $300 CAD on the Microsoft store website.

It sucks the wheel stands/playseats are so pricey too. I'd rig something up myself but it'd be so ugly lol.

Luckydog

I'm in the same situation. I'm kicking myself for not buying the TX when it was on sale for $300 CAD on the Microsoft store website.

It sucks the wheel stands/playseats are so pricey too. I'd rig something up myself but it'd be so ugly lol.

I was in the market for a wheel since my Fanatec CSR Elite wont work. Was thinking of the TX, but I also saw logitech coming out with a new wheel in the next few months. The G29? G290? Anyone have any thoughts on one vs the other to replace the CSR Elite?

Lima

I'm all for mixing things up in the boring singleplayer campaigns in racing games. These mods sound really cool.

Mascot

Does anyone think there might be a third Forza franchise one day with a much narrower focus, a pure-bred Motorsport simulator? Most of the track and car assets from FM could be reused, so it'd just need the structure, rules, licensing etc finessed in. Maybe concentrate on GT classes only, bang it out at a budget price, have it as a PC release too? Or copy the RaceRoom F2P/DLC model?

That way the Forza Motorsport philosophy could remain unchanged but the serious sim crowd also get to enjoy all that Turn 10 goodness.

I'd buy it.

Lug Nuts

Banned
Does anyone think there might be a third Forza franchise one day with a much narrower focus, a pure-bred Motorsport simulator? Most of the track and car assets from FM could be reused, so it'd just need the structure, rules, licensing etc finessed in. Maybe concentrate on GT classes only, bang it out at a budget price, have it as a PC release too? Or copy the RaceRoom F2P/DLC model?

That way the Forza Motorsport philosophy could remain unchanged but the serious sim crowd also get to enjoy all that Turn 10 goodness.

I'd buy it.

They probably don't think that there are enough of us hardcore sim fans out there even though there definitely is. and maybe it goes against Dan's vision of car lovers into gamers crap.

Klocker

Boost mods and that kinda stuff aren't things I think I'd use but they don't affect anybody who wants 'pure' forza racing and might add to the experience for less serious players.

I don't have a problem with it.

Yea. Options are good to keep the base gamers playing as well.

terrible

Banned
I was in the market for a wheel since my Fanatec CSR Elite wont work. Was thinking of the TX, but I also saw logitech coming out with a new wheel in the next few months. The G29? G290? Anyone have any thoughts on one vs the other to replace the CSR Elite?

The Logitech offering seems to just be a G27 without the shifter for way more money than the G27. I'm not sure what they're thinking with that.

I'd buy it.

I'd buy my first Xbox ever for that.

GHG

Gold Member
Yeah, they are definitely arcadey, but they fit in OK with the family-friendly broad appeal and sim-lite direction that FM's been heading in for several years now. And you don't have to use these mods. I might be wrong but they seem geared towards boosting XP earnings, just like turning off ABS and TCS does. They could be a good way of reducing the credit grind for those that choose to use them.

I don't see a reason for them to exist if monetization isn't the plan, either at launch or somewhere down the line. Packs and rarities and advantages ahoy!

Not interested in these kinds of RPG % bonuses in a game like Forza Motorsport. This seems like a better fit for a game like The Crew, with its leveling and lootish systems.

I just took a peek at the official Forza forums and there is this exact debate going on... Lots of people disgusted while others are defending it saying they are optional.

Now the optional bit gets me... It's great that people who want a more watered down experience have more options to do so now...

But what about those of us who want a more hardcore experience? Why can't we have options for qualifying, race length, tire & fuel consumption etc?

I suspect because there is no easy way to monetize those. It just feels gross overall. Ignoring long time fans (and the features they want) who were attracted by the series at FM1 and 2 in favour of chasing a new group of gamers who were brought up on COD etc.

Good luck to them is all I have to say, because as it stands I'm not buying this.

terrible

Banned
I just took a peek at the official Forza forums and there is this exact debate going on... Lots of people disgusted while others are defending it saying they are optional.

Now the optional bit gets me... It's great that people who want a more watered down experience have more options to do so now...

But what about those of us who want a more hardcore experience? Why can't we have options for qualifying, race length, tire & fuel consumption etc?

I suspect because there is no easy way to monetize those. It just feels gross overall. Ignoring long time fans (and the features they want) who were attracted by the series at FM1 and 2 in favour of chasing a new group of gamers who were brought up on COD etc.

Good luck to them is all I have to say, because as it stands I'm not buying this.

I'm pretty sure this is just me being cynical but the long time fans are going to get the game anyway. They'll make a bit of noise online but in the end they'll still buy the game and play it. Why take the time to add all those "hardcore" features when it'll mostly only serve a small section of the community that is already going to get the game anyway?

GHG

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure this is just me being cynical but the long time fans are going to get the game anyway. They'll make a bit of noise online but in the end they'll still buy the game and play it. Why take the time to add all those "hardcore" features when it'll mostly only serve a small section of the community that is already going to get the game anyway?

So adding a slider for race length (with rewards that scale accordingly) takes lots of time to add? Or even qualifying - they don't even need to do a proper qualifying session with other cars on the track, just a single hot lap after a practice session would be better than nothing.

These are not things that would require whole teams and a year of dev time to add.

And you are mistaken if you think people will just buy the game anyway.

Edit: I guess my main point with all of this is the fact that they have been gradually removing fan favorite features that added depth to the game in favor of adding features that make it more casual (or arcade racer) friendly. Assist options (steering/brake assist), the rewind feature, lower difficulty levels, pay to win microtransactions, auto upgrade option for car mods, decreasing race lengths, and now these mods.

So my question is, why are they increasing the options for more casual players while decreasing and removing features that were popular with the players who got this franchise off the ground in the 1st place?

TheKeyPit

Banned
So, enjoying Forza 5, Forza Horizon 2 and getting Forza 6 next month, I thought about playing a bit more serious. I'd like to buy a wheel, pedals and a seat. Searching for that stuff confuses me with all the different options. All I want is a good wheel, good pedals, "comfortable" seat. Budget is pretty low. Anyone willing to help me?

Edit: I've found the Mad Catz wheel/pedals set, but damn is the good stuff expensive(315 €). The Playseat Evolution I've found looks good(290 €).
Any cheaper options for wheel and pedals to shrink the costs?

Mascot

So my question is, why are they increasing the options for more casual players while decreasing and removing features that were popular with the players who got this franchise off the ground in the 1st place?

Because that must be where the money is. I've hated watching Forza Motorsport getting more and more low-brow and generic with every new version, and it can be argued that FM has evolved into an arcade game with simulation physics now. That must be the direction that MS and/or Turn 10 want to take it. There's no doubt it's a good way to make money. Because of that I don't think any concessions to 'proper' motorsport will ever make it into the series: it would be totally at odds with the underlying philosophy of a cuddly, family-friendly game. That's why I posted above about the possibility of a third franchise, a pure-bred racing game without soccer, bowling, mods, perks and XP/credit grinding. It's been painful watching FM go soft in the years since FM2 but at least Assetto Corsa and Project CARS are there to offer more authentic racing alternatives. It would be good if Turn 10 also offered an option at the more serious racing sim end of the scale.

Offering options to make a game gamey for a wider audience, while not making them mandatory is not dumbing down a game.

Those "casual" gamers that are so hated are the ones that keep games like this in development. And they deserve their fun as much as any hand-wringing petrol-headed tuner.

Mascot

I'm not sure about the monetisation part (although it'll always be a suspicion, unfortunately - gamers have long memories) but it speaks volumes that practice sessions have been added without the completely logical, blindingly obvious and surely easy-to-implement qualifying sessions being tacked on at the same time. This tiny detail would have added so, so much for just a tiny bit of thought and a minor bit of work, and it's omission in a racing game is just... odd. It's obvious that Forza Motorsport has no intentions of being a motorsport simulation, and Dan probably curses the name every single day for creating one of gaming's longest-running paradoxes.

Noobcraft

It's a bit off topic, but a few pages back someone asked me to lap the Nurburgring in Forza 5 and PCars for comparison, so I did. I had problems with the Upload Studio app so I'll post 2 overlapping videos of Forza, and my lap of PCars. I was ~5 seconds faster in Forza with the Lotus E21 than I was in the Formula A car in PCars. Time of day should be almost identical.

Pcars: 6:15 lap
Forza 5: 6:10 lap

PCars lap (7:00AM, Partly Cloudy):
https://youtu.be/O-BY2D6eX60

Forza 5 lap part 1:
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mr Noobcraft/video/7280936

Forza 5 lap part 2 (skip to ~1:35):
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mr Noobcraft/video/7280935

Also, Microsoft needs to fix the Upload Studio app. It's horrible and kills the framerate/frame pacing of any video you run through it.

Jamesways

I'm not sure about the monetisation part (although it'll always be a suspicion, unfortunately - gamers have long memories) but it speaks volumes that practice sessions have been added without the completely logical, blindingly obvious and surely easy-to-implement qualifying sessions being tacked on at the same time. This tiny detail would have added so, so much for just a tiny bit of thought and a minor bit of work, and it's omission in a racing game is just... odd. It's obvious that Forza Motorsport has no intentions of being a motorsport simulation, and Dan probably curses the name every single day for creating one of gaming's longest-running paradoxes.

You'd think copying the old CM F1 "One Shot" qualifying would be a no-brainer.

The ironic thing is they go to so many lengths to set the racing stage so to speak. They spend a lot of money on racing licenses and even brand themselves with things like the official game the ALMS series. They get all these great cars and tracks and still don't have the framework for a proper racing series or race weekend.

But at least they give the non racing fans a taste of the gloriousness of tooling around in a GT or LMP car around a track they might know.

Mascot

You'd think copying the old CM F1 "One Shot" qualifying would be a no-brainer.

The ironic thing is they go to so many lengths to set the racing stage so to speak. They spend a lot of money on racing licenses and even brand themselves with things like the official game the ALMS series. They get all these great cars and tracks and still don't have the framework for a proper racing series or race weekend.

But at least they give the non racing fans a taste of the gloriousness of tooling around in a GT or LMP car around a track they might know.

They pay lip service to them so that feature boxes can be ticked: witness drag racing and drifting in previous FMs. Drag racing without a Christmas tree is like some perverse prick-tease. I think they spread themselves too thin trying to be everything to everyone in a biennial cycle, and end up having to half-ass a lot of the features. Maybe a dedicated hardcore racing sim under the Forza brand could be farmed out under asset-sharing to a third-party studio, à la Horizon and Playground - that is, if Dan actually has any interest in motorsport whatsoever, which I seriously doubt.

Jamesways

They pay lip service to them so that feature boxes can be ticked: witness drag racing and drifting in previous FMs. Drag racing without a Christmas tree is like some perverse prick-tease. I think they spread themselves too thin trying to be everything to everyone in a biennial cycle, and end up having to half-ass a lot of the features. Maybe a dedicated hardcore racing sim under the Forza brand could be farmed out under asset-sharing to a third-party studio, à la Horizon and Playground - that is, if Dan actually has any interest in motorsport whatsoever, which I seriously doubt.

Well, we'll see how AC on consoles sells. They probably think it's too risky, too niche a market, one served best on PC still.

Velkyn

In my experience, it doesn't matter much which engine upgrades you use, they all add Hp and Torque. Probably to a different degree but not detectable for me. When I upgrade a car, I almost always improve (by 1 or 2 steps) tire compound, weight reduction. I max out brakes and springs ( because it hardly adds any to the car level and slammed cars look cool, yo ) then I upgrade the engine until the car is maxed to the class. Camshaft provides a big boost for not much money. Lastly I might spring for new wheels if the stock ones look lame. And I've been known to fuck around way too much with bumpers and side skirts.

The vid linked plus this post and the others really helped me out! I was able to tweak my Supra into a cornering powerhouse, which helped me get runner-up in my first championship. I then blew all the money on a Lancer Evo and a Toyota Trueno, because I apparently have a thing for the JDM category. I'm eyeing the hatches next.

Went through this dumb phase where I thought I lost "geek cred" for being into car games after Gran Turismo 2, and I had this special sort of glee light up inside of me when I found the Trueno and Lancer in the showcase.

Slightly more on topic: As a Forza noob, is there anything for me in 6? As far as I know, the "mainline" Forza series is for the hardcore sim enthusiasts and Horizon is for people who prefer to strike a balance between the two. I have no wheel, and I don't know if I'll get one soon (so I say, for now...)

Will people stick with Horizon 2 when Forza 6 comes out, or will it retain the more arcade-y playerbase while the sim-ers move on?

Outrun

Less than a month to go ladies and gents.

Exciting times ahead for sure. I am torn whether to jump straight into MP, or focus on the campaign first.

I should have plenty of money from the get go so I think that the grinding will be down to a minimum (As long as I don't first buy those $10 Million Ferraris!)

Outrun

No need to take a shot at Dan.

Your idea is an interesting one regarding hard racing sim. FIA and GT licenses would cost. They would have to add digital signage on all tracks for yellow flags and such. Endurance racing would have to wait until they figure out how to cram in dynamic day cycles and weather.

I am still on the border if this could be a digital add-on or a new member to the forza family.

_machine

I am still on the border if this could be a digital add-on or a new member to the forza family.
I think you can do partial endurance racing without dynamic ToD (which they seem to be doing, at least with some of the longer races), but full dynamic lighting is not something that can be done as an add-on. It means completely revising the way they author lighting data, the lighting model, individual track light art pass etc.

As for the mods, I don't really care for them really, though they are kind of a neat addition to another audience, which I'm not really a part of. You can always argue that the resources could have been used to something more focused on motorsports, but then again that applies to most design decisions and their job is to grow their audience which the feature could work well for.

Mascot

No need to take a shot at Dan.

In what way was it a shot at Dan? He's the creative director at Turn 10 so (one would assume) has the biggest say regarding content and features in Forza Motorsport. There's little evidence to suggest that he cares about improving motorsport authenticity in FM even when an ideal opportunity presents itself (including practice sessions but excluding qualifying, for example).

In what way was it a shot at Dan? He's the creative director at Turn 10 so (one would assume) has the biggest say regarding content and features in Forza Motorsport. There's little evidence to suggest that he cares about improving motorsport authenticity in FM even when an ideal opportunity presents itself (including practice sessions but excluding qualifying, for example).

Actually I think Allan Hartman is technically the big boss.

Slightly more on topic: As a Forza noob, is there anything for me in 6? As far as I know, the "mainline" Forza series is for the hardcore sim enthusiasts and Horizon is for people who prefer to strike a balance between the two. I have no wheel, and I don't know if I'll get one soon (so I say, for now...)

Forza has great controller support, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a wheel, but I've always used a controller and never had a problem having fun or being competitive.

Whether or not its for you is impossible to say. If you don't want to risk $60+, maybe consider trying FM5. You can get a code online for <$15.

As for FH2, I think it'll be fine. I've been focusing on ESO, but every time I've poked my head in, I've gotten into a full room immediately. The only thing I've noticed is that it seems harder to get anything other than an S1 or S2 vote to pass.

Actually I think Allan Hartman is technically the big boss.

Forget it. He's rolling.

HeliosT10

Latest Forza Garage update is out, plenty of race cars this week:

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst39989_Forza-Garage---Week-8.aspx

7fb4c8e1-dc4d-4977-8b4b-5f6755bb5d92.jpg

890c29d5-cac9-4f50-af61-f18e1922c63c.jpg

Top Bottom