• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 has "wet weather, 3D puddles and night races" + more

J3ffro

would I be considered crazy if I said forza 6 looks on par with driveclub?

I wouldn't call you crazy, but I never got into DriveClub. I picked it up cheaply a few months after launch, and after playing for ~5 hours I gave it to a buddy, checked the GT7 rumors (still years away) and promptly bought an Xbone for FM5 & FH2. I remember DC looking pretty good, but nothing insane. However, I couldn't get past how "not fun" the game was to play. It felt like it was too sim to be arcade, and too arcade to be sim, but not enough of either to plant itself in either camp.

btags

Yes, it is a good looking game in its own right and especially nice for the performance it has, but driveclub is technologically superior (graphics, not physics wise) without a doubt. As I said though, forza 6 still looks great in my book.

By some in the DF thread, yes. I think that the game looks incredible.
well it's a thread on the same forum, so...
You are crazy. Even photomode speaking unless you ignore reflections.

I wouldn't call you crazy, but I never got into DriveClub. I picked it up cheaply a few months after launch, and after playing for ~5 hours I gave it to a buddy, checked the GT7 rumors (still years away) and promptly bought an Xbone for FM5 & FH2. I remember DC looking pretty good, but nothing insane. However, I couldn't get past how "not fun" the game was to play. It felt like it was too sim to be arcade, and too arcade to be sim, but not enough of either to plant itself in either camp.

Yes, it is a good looking game in its own right and especially nice for the performance it has, but driveclub is technologically superior (graphics, not physics wise) without a doubt. As I said though, forza 6 still looks great in my book.

lemme just say now that i've played a good amount of driveclub and I liked it a lot, and I have not seen much of forz6 to compare the two but what I did see looked really, really, good to me.

J3ffro

lemme just say now that i've played a good amount of driveclub and I liked it a lot, and I have not seen much of forz6 to compare the two but what I did see looked really, really, good to me.

For what it's worth, I go into most games with an open mind, and if anything, get called out by my buddies for liking too many things. I wanted to like DriveClub, but no part of it clicked for me, and that was after giving it time for them to sort their issues out. Part of me is jealous that you actually enjoyed it, because if I had I would probably just be playing DriveClub and Project Cars with my Fanatec wheel and call it a day.

Some real 1st World Problems, I do realize. :D

For what it's worth, I go into most games with an open mind, and if anything, get called out by my buddies for liking too many things. I wanted to like DriveClub, but no part of it clicked for me, and that was after giving it time for them to sort their issues out. Part of me is jealous that you actually enjoyed it, because if I had I would probably just be playing DriveClub and Project Cars with my Fanatec wheel and call it a day.

Some real 1st World Problems, I do realize. :D
lol well I guess there's a lot to dislike as well...it's not a perfect game. But it is a game I like to put in every now and then for some good races. especially now since a friend of mine recently got himself a Ps4 and the psplus edition; gives me even more of a reason to play it.
Right, and the fact that it runs locked at 60 fps is a great quality to have, but the response was based on "looks" alone
I guess what I should say is while dc still looks superior, fz6 looks really damn good for a game running at twice the framerate. again, i haven't seen much of it.

Hawk269

Y0Rwfu4.jpg

N40VxJK.jpg

RR6WAWF.jpg

That last one looks amazing. Great Job! Also love the road one, should post that in one of the many threads that say the game looks like shit and has shitty textures. That should STFU a few people.

bumpkin

Gave the demo a whirl tonight after seeing the incredible commercial. It looks and feels great. The only question I came away with was actually the first thing my wife asked; is there going to be any off-road racing (rally) in FM6?

m23

Gave the demo a whirl tonight after seeing the incredible commercial. It looks and feels great. The only question I came away with was actually the first thing my wife asked; is there going to be any off-road racing (rally) in FM6?

Nope :(

Unless they do some sort of expansion.

TMWNN35

Played the demo and while the races were cool they weren't really a huge step up from Froza 5 barring the wet Sebring race (amazing).

Then I jumped into the rivals challenges and I was amazed at how much more fun I found them than racing vs AI in the regualar game, particularly the one in the 430. Thought eh corvette and Ford GT were amazing too.

I would love to see a rally expansion similar to that which came out for Horizon one (rally exp to this game was free and a real hidden gem). I'd also put down some cash for a hillclimb expansion with stuff likes pikes peak and other famous point to point timed races.

Targa Tasmania or Dakar point to point sections? Please Turn 10, please.

Also I'd love an option for an automatically generated numberplate with my gamertag everytime I get a new car, I do it manually in the paint editor but it is kind of boring to do over and over. The cars look weird with a blank space in the numberplate slot.

T.O.P

Banned
I just realized that the Ultimate Edition means 8 Days of Early Access for me since the retail it's coming out on the 18th here

...fuck it, gonna cancel the physical pre-order and get this, 1 extra early weekend is too much to pass on

I am indeed! Thanks.

I have now been playing 22 hours almost straight lol probably time for some bed.

That's hardcore bro lol

I'm glad you are enjoying it so much--this might be the game that pushes me to buy a racing wheel. Looking forward to your analysis of it!

It certainly looks good, but in terms of what people are getting from photomode, it's not quite there with DC. I'm sure someone like GRom will be pushing some that come close and under certain conditions surpass Driveclub though.

danowat

Banned
I know comparisons are frowned upon, but they happen..........

Just some random musings, I was flicking between FM6 demo and Pcars on the PS4 yesterday, graphically (purely in terms of IQ), I think PCars looks more realistic, the sky and lighting just look much more real, FM has always had a bit of a stylized look to me, I am ok with that though, it still looks pretty damn good, and the rock solid 60fps is a huge bonus.

FM6's tyre physics are an step above those in FM5, longitudinal grip (which was very wonky in FM5) is better, although braking is still a big issue, so much so that I am really struggling to brake effectively in FM6 without using ABS, I don't know what it is exactly, but the sense of deceleration is all wrong, and just feels weird, acceleration in powerful cars now feels much better.

FM6 (maybe down to the FM6 default setups?) is really understeery, I don't think the level of grip is as high as it should be up to the limit, and it's a bit too forgiving once you step over the limit, no slick tyres in the demo, so I would like to see how those feel first before I make any lasting judgement.

Overall, very much looking forward to the full game in a few days time, as an overall package FM has always delivered, and it looks like this one will be great, although I don't think it will offer as much as FM4 (which is the pinnacle of the series), looking forward to seeing how the career plays out, because they normally end up just being a bit of a grind, so hopefully this one will be a bit less grindy and a bit more interesting.

squared

Still the same wheel/rim selection as the previous six games, bar the ones HRE surely paid good money for to have included.. Come on :(

Micerider

I just realized that the Ultimate Edition means 8 Days of Early Access for me since the retail it's coming out on the 18th here

...fuck it, gonna cancel the physical pre-order and get this, 1 extra early weekend is too much to pass on

That's what I did, won't be home for close to three weeks after 18/09. Besides, content of the Deluxe looks attractive in my eyes, you can't be disapointed by more cars.

Will I be able to get everything the ultimate edition gets (aside from early access) if I buy physical?

I've got GCU at Best Buy, essentially making all my new purchases $40.

Mascot

Is there a much simpler bodywork reflection system in place for the wet races? Cars in FM6 tend to look slightly 'matte' in the rain.

This could be a way to claim overhead to allow for all the post-process effects that rain brings (spray, environmental reflections, raindrop effects etc), or it could be a design decision to showcase the raindrops on bodywork with more clarity, or it could be because of the diffused lighting from cloud cover, or a combo of all three.

Whatever the reason, the wet races are visually superb in FM6. I'm just curious about the paintwork.

T.O.P

Banned
Will I be able to get everything the ultimate edition gets (aside from early access) if I buy physical?

I've got GCU at Best Buy, essentially making all my new purchases $40.

Early Access and VIP i think are exclusive to that version, Marketplace shows that stuff as "Bundle Only" afaik

Can't imagine anybody finding it comparable to tearing, when racing I didn't even notice it.

An effect that takes over nearly 60% of the screen and runs at half the FPS of everything else in front of it (cockpit) and behind it (racetrack and opponents) running at double the FPS is jarring as hell. Just switching between cameras makes a huge difference imo.

An effect that takes over nearly 60% of the screen and runs at half the FPS of everything else in front of it (cockpit) and behind it (racetrack and opponents) running at double the FPS is jarring as hell. Just switching between cameras makes a huge difference imp.

I also did not notice. Probably because I was looking past the rain and focusing on the road. IRL I do the same, I'm aware of the rain but I don't focus on it as that could lead to an accident. That said, I will just have to continue to ignore it in the game which thankfully for me does not appear to be hard.

I didn't notice it either. And even if I did it wouldn't bother me. I just can't be bothered nitpicking graphical effects - I started playing in the 8bit computer days and pretty much all graphics on the spectrum were glitched in some ways.

I've decided not to read any reviews this time around. Not until I've played the game at least.

Which is a bit sacrilegious to my former career as a hack but it's more so I'm not spoilered and can just enjoy a fresh experience.

danowat

Banned
I've decided not to read any reviews this time around. Not until I've played the game at least.

Which is a bit sacrilegious to my former career as a hack but it's more so I'm not spoilered and can just enjoy a fresh experience.

Not in the slightest bit bothered about the reviews, I know Forza, I know I'll stick a couple of hundred of hours in to it regardless.

Not in the slightest bit bothered about the reviews, I know Forza, I know I'll stick a couple of hundred of hours in to it regardless.

I finally completed each career event in Forza 5 yesterday. Though I've not done all the bonus races. So that's been great value for money.

I finally completed each career event in Forza 5 yesterday. Though I've not done all the bonus races. So that's been great value for money.

Congratulations, I fear my attempt to do this will fail before F6 releases. I have however gotten to switch between the two and I am super impressed with the graphical improvement in F6. I didn't think the difference would be that big but had also forgotten its 24 cars now. That alone is an impressive feat while maintaining 1080p60.

Nah, not crazy. But you can be accused of not paying attention to the environments.

Personally, I think Horizon 2 is a prettier game than DriveClub. Is it technically/graphically better? No. But I find it nicer to look at. Presentation and setting means a lot.

Top Bottom