• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 has "wet weather, 3D puddles and night races" + more

Forza 4's event list was pretty much the same as Forza 3's, but with a severe lack of endurance races and far too many Top Gear 'mini games' :(

There aren't any mini games in the companion event grid. I think you are confusing the main career calendar "world tour" with the event list grid I am talking about.

I mean this - each of these boxes is a whole race series.

EDIT - Just fired up FM3 to check. Yes there was a list like this in FM3, I just couldn't remember it. And yes it does have endurance. Though the list as a whole is smaller than the FM4 one. So nitpicking aside can we agree this type of FM3/FM4 event list is something we'd like to see return?

IMG_20150621_223612.jpg

Azzawon

There aren't any mini games in the companion event grid. I think you are confusing the main career calendar "world tour" with the event list grid I am talking about.

I mean this - each of these boxes is a whole race series. Was there one of these in FM3 too? Can't remember, I'll fire it up later and have a look.

IMG_20150621_223612.jpg

Yeah it is very similar to Forza 3 in that sense. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't an entire column of those events Top Gear themed with Autocross and other random events like bowling pins and other stuff?

Yeah it is very similar to Forza 3 in that sense. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't an entire column of those events Top Gear themed with Autocross and other random events like bowling pins and other stuff?

You are correct. My apologies. I found them after I posted.

One column is TG stuff, which means 10 out of the 310 events available.

Mascot

Seeing that grid again brought back horrible memories of having it around 95% complete, then booting the game one day to find it less than half finished. This happened twice. Never did find out why. Never did manage to complete it.

Seeing that grid again brought back horrible memories of having it around 95% complete, then booting the game one day to find it less than half finished. This happened twice. Never did find out why. Never did manage to complete it.

I just booted FM3 to find I had lost my entire save. I wasn't planning to continue, but at the same time I'm not happy that it's gone.

Maybe this isn't the right thread, but I have the hardest time trying to play Forza 5 with the pad. Maybe it's because I've been playing sims on my PC with a wheel for a while now (and haven't played a non Horizon Forza title since 4 first released) but I can't make half a lap without spinning out or sliding off. It feels like every car is on ice, even race cars. I've always played Forzas with a pad but never had such a hard time like I've had with 5.

Still looking forward to 6 but it's making me want a wheel. Unfortunately there isn't an affordable one that will work with both consoles and my PC.

You are probably hitting the throttle way to hard. But IMO playing with a pad didn't feel much different from fm4. It's when I started playing 5 with a wheel I really noticed the difference. Playing 4 with a wheel seemed so much easier in comparison.

The horrors of booting up a game, ready to resume your save, only to hear the "WELCOME TO FORTZAH MOTORSPOHT" like a first boot.

Mascot

I just booted FM3 to find I had lost my entire save. I wasn't planning to continue, but at the same time I'm not happy that it's gone.

That sucks. I'm wondering if saves get corrupted during title updates or something - I've got ten-year-old laptops with no corrupt data, and don't think I've had problems with any other game saves going AWOL since moving away from flash storage. It was weird in both of my cases that the game seemed to revert to an ancient save rather than just completely wiping the data. It was doubly annoying because I was just a few races short of completing the career grid which took a lot of grinding through some pretty awful events. Helios was looking into it at the time (this was a couple of years ago) but I don't think a cause or solution was found.

danowat

Banned

Me either, dare I say that FM3, 4, and probably 5, had far too much in the way of career races?

Mascot

Late to this, but looks great!

I've only just been able to watch that at 'proper' 60fps on my work computer (seems like my laptops at home aren't up to snuff - it was stuttering like mad).

WOW.

Gotta love that rock-solid performance. A big part of the Forza experience for me is not only knowing that the game will be a flawless 1080p/60 with zero tearing during 'normal' loading, but also knowing that it won't ever dip under extreme load. pCARS on PS4 keeps at 60fps almost all of the time, but the occasional dip or tearing is always hovering in the background, waiting for the opportunity to pounce. Forza eliminates that ever-present feeling of apprehension.

Mirrors (and windshield raindrops?) definitely look 30fps in that video though. Old build?

And if mirrors (and raindrops?) do actually stay at 30fps for release, does that affect FM6's claim to be a rock-solid 60fps..? :p

Me either, dare I say that FM3, 4, and probably 5, had far too much in the way of career races?

I don't think FM5 had enough career races. There were so many cars and car types that didn't have race series that made use of them.

I'd have really welcomed a big FM3/FM4 style grid in the game. Instead the career is relatively small in FM5.

That wouldn't be so bad if single race options weren't so limiting in the game. But setting up a single class/model race in FM5 is fiddly and requires messing around with multiplayer lobbies rather than the regular single race mode.

Lighting doesn't make tracks look sterile, they look sterile because they are sterile in real life.

Forza really isn't that over saturated.
I think most games nowadays don't show how colorful these cars are in real life.
I think that using some overexposed, oversaturated photos doesn't really prove your point...

Hoo-doo

Banned
Lighting doesn't make tracks look sterile, they look sterile because they are sterile in real life.

I think most games nowadays don't show how colorful these cars are in real life.

Again, it's not the tracks that look sterile, I know how racetracks look.
The presentation just looks very 'gamey', and in my eyes that's because of the lighting engine they are using.

I mean, look at these gifs:

It looks sharp, it looks fast, it looks colourful. The IQ is very, very good.
But it does in no way come close to looking like real life. And again, that has nothing do do with the track, probably a mix between the lighting and T10's stylistic choices. Again, hard to put a finger on what it is exactly that's breaking the illusion.

Either way, I'll let it go :)

Forever? I mean, Forza threads?
THANKS!

The ignore button is right there. Go nuts!

Bobnob

The presentation just looks very 'gamey', and in my eyes that's because of the lighting engine they are using.

I mean, look at these gifs:

It looks sharp, it looks fast, it looks colourful. The IQ is very, very good.
But it does in no way come close to looking like real life. And again, that has nothing do do with the track, probably a mix between the lighting and T10's stylistic choices. Again, hard to put a finger on what it is exactly that's breaking the illusion.

Either way, I'll let it go :)

The ignore button is right there. Go nuts!
Hey mate, is it because its in 3rd person ?? and the racing line's on.The cars seem to have smaller on the screen again, like they did in F3 from F2, could be just an illusion i'm seeing.

flashmouth

Neo Member
If I could trade one thing with GT, it would be the color palette or color correction in different lighting conditions. I always thought FM5 looked best with cloudy conditions, like on the Top Gear Test Track. As soon as the sun hits the paint, the colors just pop too much for my taste.
But again, that's another thing I stop worrying about when playing the game. Looks great, but doesn't look realistic to me, who cares in the end.

willbsn13

If I could trade one thing with GT, it would be the color palette or color correction in different lighting conditions. I always thought FM5 looked best with cloudy conditions, like on the Top Gear Test Track. As soon as the sun hits the paint, the colors just pop too much for my taste.
But again, that's another thing I stop worrying about when playing the game. Looks great, but doesn't look realistic to me, who cares in the end.

Agreed. I think T10 sort of go for that game-y look that is really colorful, but not necessarily super realistic like the lighting of GT's games. But I'm absolutely fine with that, I love both games aesthetics as they bring something different to the table. Also looking forward to playing many tracks in overcast/rainy conditions ala Sebring, Lemans, The Ring and hopefully Spa (I've seen it at Night in a video somewhere, but not Rain yet, Pls T10)

t_wilson01

A few days ago when the first bunch of pictures where released I was so impressed that I actually considered buying an Xbone, but watching the Gamersyde videos made me change my mind. Sterile was the first word that came to my mind. I don't know what it is exactly, but something seems off.

danowat

Banned
Probably gonna get lambasted for this, but I think sometimes 60fps can make things look a little sterile or unrealistic, something along the lines of the uncanny valley, it looks wrong but you can't think why.

I'm opposite. I like the strong, vibrant colours of the Forza games. Makes the graphics really pop on my TV, love it.

Azzawon

A few days ago when the first bunch of pictures where released I was so impressed that I actually considered buying an Xbone, but watching the Gamersyde videos made me change my mind. Sterile was the first word that came to my mind. I don't know what it is exactly, but something seems off.

Forza is one of those games I struggle to watch. For me, it does look quite sterile - but when you get your hands on it it's a whole different ball-game because you spend too much time concentrating on the racing for anything to seem remotely bland. It's one of the best racing games out there for the atmosphere I think.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Personally I think the vibrant colour palette suits the game, all the custom paint jobs etc just would not look the same.

I really do not understand the sterile comments though. What would you do to improve it, so it looked less sterile?

Azzawon

Personally I think the vibrant colour palette suits the game, all the custom paint jobs etc just would not look the same.

I really do not understand the sterile comments though. What would you do to improve it, so it looked less sterile?

I think it's a common thing with racing games personally, and I play a hell of a lot of them. The last one I didn't think was as sterile was probably Blur. Fantastic UI probably helped in that case.

roxya

mJN32JW.jpg

N4vJWaU.jpg

djGHthG.jpg

I'm not arguing one way or another, but you cannot use photos as a comparison. People often oversaturate them, either on purpose or by accident.

I do kind of get the comments but dont know what could be dont about it.

To me I think it has a lot to do with higher resolutions resolving more details, there's nothing left to the imagination. Cack looking foliage, 2D crowds, undetailed textures.

That stuff would get a pass on an old CRT.

saladine1

Imo, it's what the team adds in terms of immersion and authenticity that matters to me more than what the game looks like.

For me, a screaming 3.0 V8 at 9,000 rpm's coupled with a properly modeled straight cut gearbox that bangs and whines as I shift from 2nd to 3rd then back down again to 2nd with some heal toe throttle blip and the consequent burble and backfire from the exhaust overrun is... to quote Arnie, "better than cumming".

Turn volume up to 1000!
Better than cumming

Great audio beats great graphics any day lol!

chrislowe

I never liked the "sunset"-lights in racinggames (almost every car game has it)

What I mean, is it seems you have a single lightsource (the sun), and everywhere the sunrays doesnt hit directly is really dark.
So you drive and one side of the car is vibrant in colors, and the other one is really dark.

In real life, light jumps and reflects of stuff, so you dont get that sharp contrast.

LoveCake

Wonder if somebody could help?

When i got my Xbone it came with digital code for Forza 5 & i had enough money in my Xbox account to get Forza Horizon 2 Deluxe Edition, so i was thinking of getting the Forza Motorsport 6 Deluxe Edition is there a limit on the number of copies & having never pre-ordered a game digitally, would the money be taken straight away?

I know that having some of the other games you get bonus/extra stuff like extra cars & some free money in Forza 6, is there a way to check exactly what you will get?

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm6_loyalty_rewards

Looks like i will get:
Tier 2: 2015 BMW M235i
Tier 3: 2012 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
Tier 4: 2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Tier 5: 2014 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S
Tier 6: 2012 Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4

Tier 7: 2014 Ferrari #62 Risi Competizione 458 Italia GTLM
Tier 8: 2014 Audi #2 Audi Team Joest R18 e-tron quattro

Forza Motorsport 4: 2009 Ford Focus RS
Forza Motorsport 5: 2013 Ford Shelby GT500
Forza Horizon 2: 2013 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor Shelby

Forza Motorsport 5 VIP: 2013 Ferrari LaFerrari
Forza Horizon 2 VIP: 2011 Koenigsegg Agera

Finally, you will also receive an in-game credits bonus for the number of cars in your garage in each of the following titles on Xbox 360: Forza Motorsport 3, Forza Motorsport 4, Forza Horizon, and on Xbox One: Forza Motorsport 5 and Forza Horizon 2.
For each game with 50 - 199 cars in your garage, you’ll receive 100,000 in-game credits.
For each game with 200 - 299 cars in your garage, you’ll receive 1,000,000 in-game credits.
For each game with 300 or more cars in your garage, you’ll receive 5,000,000 in-game credits.

I don't know how many cars i have! going to just go crazy on buying all the cars i can in the previous games.

I could go back to the previous games to use up my vast stocks of credits on buying hundreds of cars, but I can't be bothered.

I am perhaps in the minority of preferring the Forza 5 economy before the big Xbox backlash at launch that meant the game just started throwing money and cars at the player. I liked earning them. Yes even having to use in game credits to buy the DLC cars.

Mascot

This Forza Rewards thing: turns out I'm Tier 4, with 4,217 points. I went to redeem the points and was told they expire in eight days, with new rewards coming in nine days. What on earth does that mean?

Also, what do I need to do in FM 2, 3, 4 & (coming soon) 5 to maximise my points? Is it all explained simply and concisely somewhere?

This Forza Rewards thing: turns out I'm Tier 4, with 4,217 points. I went to redeem the points and was told they expire in eight days, with new rewards coming in nine days. What on earth does that mean?

Also, what do I need to do in FM 2, 3, 4 & (coming soon) 5 to maximise my points? Is it all explained simply and concisely somewhere?

It means you need to go into the game(s) and you'll receive a message. Click on the message and you get your credits in the game. You get more credits each month, but you need to go into the game to collect them before they expire.

What you need to do is explained. Go into the Forza hub or rewards and you can look in more detail about how you can earn points in each game. It's split into a variety of subjects - so you may get a total of 50 points if you own a certain number of cars, points for achievements, points for race feats etc.

You get money every month, in the various Forza games. I'm tier 7 and I get either 1.5 or 2 million credits gifted to me each month. I claim them, then I go into the game to redeem them.
Your tier is based on achievements and other game milestones.

It gets a little ridiculous, I'm sitting on 30million in credits in FM5.

I could go back to the previous games to use up my vast stocks of credits on buying hundreds of cars, but I can't be bothered.

I am perhaps in the minority of preferring the Forza 5 economy before the big Xbox backlash at launch that meant the game just started throwing money and cars at the player. I liked earning them. Yes even having to use in game credits to buy the DLC cars.

Same, they bent to the micro transaction whiners and broke the economy.

Money just drops in every month, nothing to spend it on.

Top Bottom