• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport (XSX) vs Gran Turismo 7 (PS5) Graphics Comparison (Up: Video in OP replaced as IGN one was not fit for purpose)

Which is better?

• Forza Motorsport(2023)

Votes: 170 24.1%
  • Gran Turismo 7

Votes: 404 57.2%
  • Mario Kart 8DX

Votes: 132 18.7%

• Total voters
Forza really looks so grey and washed out. Like the image has been desaturated. Why would the dev ship the game in this state?

The washed-out lighting reminds me of Halo Infinite.
Much like in the real world, The sun will wash out and bleach colour from objects sitting in the direct sun light. There is no way these tracks have saturation like seen in GT7.

I think they call it weathering.

Last edited:

Zuzu

Hmm, I like the trackside detail in Forza more. Car detail is better in GT and GT's lighting is nicer to me however that's possibly an aesthetic choice rather than being technically better. GT achieves a lovely natural and realistic look with its lighting which also brings out its colours but not in an unnaturally saturated way. Forza is aiming for a more cinematic lighting presentation but it seems to be muting the colours too much.

The motion blur in Forza looks great. Forza may have a bit better interior cabin lighting but honestly I think both games do interior lighting poorly based on this video. The interiors of cars are not that dark in broad daylight. Both look unnaturally dark in that viewpoint.

Based on my time playing GT on my OLED I've seen GT look better in some scenarios than this video shows. But I'm sure that will be the same for Forza as well. Both games are being shown on a compressed Youtube video after all. I look forward to seeing how Forza actually looks on my OLED and whether its colours look a bit better irl.

Last edited:

Cyborg

It said already but Forza looks so washed out. I prefer how the GT looks, no big difference between them. Definitely not 30% ;)

Caio

Why Forza looks so grey and washed out in comparison to GT7 ? I'm just wondering...

Edited : watching many other video comparison, honestly I don't know what to say; both have their strong points; in the first video posted here, I preferred the look of GT, but watching other videos in the night and under the rain, I prefer FM. Both are great. My very honest opinion.

Last edited:

xion4360

The thing is GT7 looks really good but if you look closely it falls apart with flat trees and and other elements...they are really good at lighting it in a realistic way which makes sense since your meant to be driving through quickly.. Forza looks really good with 3d trees that even move, and lots of elements on the track, but the way they light doesn't make it look real. It does look good though and being fully dynamic with RT on is a big plus too.

I say overall Forza is more impressive.

Much like in the real world, The sun will wash out and bleach colour from objects sitting in the direct sun light.

Lol, no... you must live in Grimsby, UK.

Have you never been to a sunny country before?

image.jpg

Where do you see the grey washed-out color in this picture? --- That's just not how the sun works.

Unknown?

The thing is GT7 looks really good but if you look closely it falls apart with flat trees and and other elements...they are really good at lighting it in a realistic way which makes sense since your meant to be driving through quickly.. Forza looks really good with 3d trees that even move, and lots of elements on the track, but the way they light doesn't make it look real. It does look good though and being fully dynamic with RT on is a big plus too.

I say overall Forza is more impressive.
GT has 3D trees though depending on track(the Sequoias in Trial Mountain for example) The 2D trees look good in GT7 though, better than 3D trees in lots of games because the realistic way the light filters through and reflects where foliage will have a shiny sheen in certain lighting. Driveclub had 3D trees but it didn't look better than in GT.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The reflections etc are objectively better, the lighting is dynamic and is doing much more on the Forza end. GT looks great too, but Motorsport looks better here, GT probably has some advantages like better details in AI cars but we'll find out more with DF style comparisons later on.

PLn8774.png

Last edited:

Unknown?

The reflections etc are objectively better, the lighting is dynamic and is doing much more on the Forza end. GT looks great too, but Motorsport looks better here, GT probably has some advantages like better details in AI cars but we'll find out more with DF style comparisons later on.

PLn8774.png
Different times of day. That For a shot is earlier(later?) GT7 is more like midday.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Gran Turismo looks brighter, while Forza looks entirely washed out. Even the car looks washed out, which isn’t usually the case. I’m guessing that’s just a matter of adjusting settings though.

Forza seems to have slightly better foliage around the tracks.

Both games bore me.

ShakenG

Hmm, I like the trackside detail in Forza more. Car detail is better in GT and GT's lighting is nicer to me however that's possibly an aesthetic choice rather than being technically better. GT achieves a lovely natural and realistic look with its lighting which also brings out its colours but not in an unnaturally saturated way. Forza is aiming for a more cinematic lighting presentation but it seems to be muting the colours too much.

The motion blur in Forza looks great. Forza may have a bit better interior cabin lighting but honestly I think both games do interior lighting poorly based on this video. The interiors of cars are not that dark in broad daylight. Both look unnaturally dark in that viewpoint.

Based on my time playing GT on my OLED I've seen GT look better in some scenarios than this video shows. But I'm sure that will be the same for Forza as well. Both games are being shown on a compressed Youtube video after all. I look forward to seeing how Forza actually looks on my OLED and whether its colours look a bit better irl.
GT7 is missing a lot of trackside detail because its being ran in Timetrial mode. The difference is a track day cruising with a few spectators to full blown racing weekend. Which is extremely missleading in this clip.

Last edited:

Markio128

The things that immediately stand out to me: The glint of the sun on the car in GT7 during the replay is awesome. Where are the clouds in FM? Can you change the field of view in the cockpit on FM? You can see much more of the windscreen in GT7. The colours pop in GT7, but appear muted in FM.

Zuzu

GT7 is missing a lot of trackside detail because its being ran in Timetrial mode. The difference is a track day cruising with a few spectators to full blown racing weekend. Which is extremely missleading in this clip.

Good point. I was playing GT7 the other day and I was doing one of those championship cups I think and the stands on either side of the start/finish line were full with spectators. I think they even roar and cheer quite audibly when you drive past. It'd be good to see a comparison between Forza & GT where GT has an event like a championship that has lots of spectators. I'd also like to see a visual comparison between them in wet weather since that type of whether can bring out lighting & reflection details that would be interesting to see side by side. I do think some of the environmental detail in Forza - like the trees - looked better though.

Last edited:
Overlooking the resolution of the comparison makes no sense when comparing, everything is compared, GT7 looks better, I don't understand that whitish filter in Forza that screws up all the lighting, the repetition in Forza also seems like novices and The car modeling much worse.

Gran Turismo = native 4K
Forza RT performance mode = 1080p-1440p

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
There appears to be an issue with how IGN captured the game on Xbox.

Even with Forza going for more realistic, subdued colors, it looks like the black levels are actually raised in the Xbox capture.

And it doesn't look washed out in other captures of the game I've seen on YouTube, like here:

Last edited:
Top Bottom