• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport (XSX) vs Gran Turismo 7 (PS5) Graphics Comparison (Up: Video in OP replaced as IGN one was not fit for purpose)

Which is better?

• Forza Motorsport(2023)

Votes: 170 24.1%
  • Gran Turismo 7

Votes: 404 57.2%
  • Mario Kart 8DX

Votes: 132 18.7%

• Total voters

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
RT during races gives Forza a massive edge, especially at night / rain times. There's no reflections in GT and everything looks much flatter by comparison.

HdlS6gQ.png
0Hive93.png
RzvgXBC.png
rumzy01.png

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Overlooking the resolution of the comparison makes no sense when comparing, everything is compared, GT7 looks better, I don't understand that whitish filter in Forza that screws up all the lighting, the repetition in Forza also seems like novices and The car modeling much worse.

Gran Turismo = native 4K
Forza RT performance mode = 1080p-1440p
The shimmering seems like an even bigger deal to me than the whitish filter. It is so distracting. The lower resolution (and then the subsequent upscaling with FSR) might be the culprit here.

Zuzu

I don't know about you guys, but Forza's realistic lighting does much better in some comparisons.

GT here looks very "gamey" by comparison. The much better trees on Forza also help.

HzWtUPC.png

Those screenshots (I won't quote all of them so as not to bog up the thread) are a better comparison of the trackside detail than the IGN video. Forza has better trackside detail going by these screenshots. Like the stands on right hand side of the Forza image have a roof over the seating and there's more crowds and tents etc. in the images. The trees and lighting look quite a bit better in the first image. Looking forward to seeing it irl in a few days!

Last edited:
I don't know about you guys, but Forza's realistic lighting does much better in some comparisons.

GT here looks very "gamey" by comparison. The much better trees on Forza also help.

5qnGwgY.png
bT3UauS.png
HzWtUPC.png
Lighting in GT looks gamey? You can't be serious. I'd like to know why white colors look so blurry in Forza. Doesn't make sense.

It's pretty obvious that Forza has more going on like pointed out by Turk1993 Turk1993 in the other thread. All cars headlights casts shadows at night for example, more reflection on rainy weather and so on. Also RT in game. After all the game did get made by the ground up for this gen. So Forza is the more advanced graphics here.

On the other hand, I still do think GT7 looks better most of the time. Lighting is unmatched and car models still look clearly better, specially because the materials look less plasticky and the way light affects the materials is more realistic. I think it all comes down to PD's artistry than anything else.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I see we got some evangelism ITT.

RT during races gives Forza a massive edge, especially at night / rain times. There's no reflections in GT and everything looks much flatter by comparison.

HdlS6gQ.png
0Hive93.png
RzvgXBC.png
rumzy01.png
Those headlights in Forza look absolutely retarded Adam. I’m not sure if you’ve ever seen a car with its headlights on, but if you have you wouldn’t be using those images to try and sell the game to us.

Darsxx82

The trees look much better in FM8, but I like the car and track better on GT7 here, but overall I think RT beats baked lighting in general, you have to watch a good comparison to see why. I'm reposting this video, seeing this shows me that IGN's comparison was just poor.

It is definitely a comparison very typical of the IGN level. My 5 year old nephew on his cell phone would do a better job.

Reckheim

HdlS6gQ.png
0Hive93.png
RzvgXBC.png
rumzy01.png
The car in FM is fully lighted in all of these scenes, it makes no sense. Its like its in a well lit garage.

What kind of RT does the game have? Just reflections or global ilumination as well?

GT looks so much better in these comparisons. Actually looks like you are racing in a cloudy rainy day. FM screenshot looks like you are racing on Vaseline track on a bright sunny day even tho its supposed to be cloudy.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

What I love about the other video is you can see the color correction happening in real time as the car races around the track, the colors may go from muted, to dark blue depending on how the light is hitting the car, it's pretty mind blowing. Screenshots don't do it justice.

ShakenG

HdlS6gQ.png
0Hive93.png
RzvgXBC.png
rumzy01.png

Having exaggerated reflections isnt always closer to realism Though. Although they do look nice to most people. Saying GT7 doesnt have reflections isnt true. It does and how much water on the track changes that.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

The car in FM is fully lighted in all of these scenes, it makes no sense. Its like its in a well lit garage.

What kind of RT does the game have? Just reflections or global ilumination as well?

GT looks so much better in these comparisons. Actually looks like you are racing in a cloudy rainy day. FM screenshot looks like you are racing on Vaseline track on a bright sunny day even tho its supposed to be cloudy.

I'm not a fan of those screenshots either, but in general screenshots will never do RT justice because RT is dynamic, there's even color correction going on in real time as the car hits brighter or darker areas.

What do you think about this one?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Those headlights in Forza look absolutely retarded Adam. I’m not sure if you’ve ever seen a car with its headlights on, but if you have you wouldn’t be using those images to try and sell the game to us.

From ShakenG ShakenG 's video above.

Talk about retarded headlights.

Rth6WDZ.png

What I love about the other video is you can see the color correction happening in real time as the car races around the track, the colors may go from muted, to dark blue depending on how the light is hitting the car, it's pretty mind blowing. Screenshots don't do it justice.

The DF tech video is gonna be interesting but sadly I expect a lot of "but of course they are M$ $hills" type comments for every positive remark they give on it.

Last edited:
I'm a bit torn. I feel like GT 'looks' better (it's certainly more vibrant, color wise) but think Forza looks more real. It's easier to tell GT is a video game. Not a huge amount in it though, they both look really good.

I've not actually played either of them though, so my opinion is worthless.

I do feel in general that colors pop more on PS5 than Xbox across the board - never really found out why. The one thing I prefer about the PS5 UI is the colors seem better.

CeeJay

Just off the back of the attached video I have to say overall I prefer the way GT looks, the Forza image is nowhere near as vibrant. However, the reflections and trackside detail are way better in Forza. There are some weird really low res shadows from the wire fence that really spoil the Forza image as well.

They both look decent and washed out colours aside there is not all that much to separate them. The RT reflections and trackside detail in Forza don't really go far enough to propel it to be a clear winner for me (you won't really notice those when you are playing) yet those washed out colours really do make it look worse that GT.

Edit;

Firstly, Its a bit shit that OP changed the video once there were already a load of votes based on the previous video and it makes the whole thread a joke and entirely miss-leading. I have left me previous un-edited post above but have also added my thoughts now based on the new video.

Now we have a new comparison video which doesn't have the washed out colours I have changed my vote to Forza as I fee that Forza is clearly better in almost every respect. The colours now look way more lifelike in the Forza footage and make GT now look over saturated in comparison. Especially when you look at the rumble strips on the corners. In the Forza footage they have a lot more detail to them and look more like they would on a real track. The rumble strips are probably the part of the track that your eyes look at the most during a race as you try to hit the apex perfectly so it's really important how they look. The way the light interacts with the car is better on Forza with the cars in GT looking a bit too shiny and reflective in comparison. As previously stated, the RT and trackside elements were previously and are still superior in Forza.

I will be playing Forza to death once it gets onto GamePass and i've been largely avoiding watching a lot of videos and reading reviews so I have seen limited footage of it. This is one of the few that I have watched as I wanted to get a genuine comparison between the two games and I feel a bit hoodwinked by a comparison video that wasn't representative of the actual product and was seemingly skewed heavily towards making GT look superior. They both look like they play very similarly and there isn't all that much between them but Forza is for me the definite winner in the looks department which shouldn't be a shock as it has come along many years after GT and wasn't originally cross-gen. That's based on an understanding that GT7 was based off of GT Sport which is pretty old now and also GT7 is cross-gen.

Last edited:

Reckheim

If this looks cartooney to you then spank my butt and call me Hanna Barbera.

now that looks much better then the screens you showed previously.

I'm not a fan of those screenshots either, but in general screenshots will never do RT justice because RT is dynamic, there's even color correction going on in real time as the car hits brighter or darker areas.

What do you think about this one?

FM doesn't look great in this, its like the cars are all Matte painted or something. Almost looks cell shaded if that makes sense.

GHG

HdlS6gQ.png
0Hive93.png
RzvgXBC.png
rumzy01.png

Cross posting from the graphics thread:

Where's all the light coming from in the Forza example?

Real life examples of similar conditions on the same track:

That's the thing, yeh Forza looks more flashy but it's not at all accurate given the conditions. If people prefer the way it looks that's fine, it's a videogame afterall so artistic choice and preferences are allowed. But when looking at real life footage and how other games/sims handle similar conditions there's only one game that stands out as doing something different.

adamsapple

now that looks much better then the screens you showed previously.

Yeah, as others have pointed, dynamic ToD and weather is better noticed in motion, not in stills.

I'm looking forward to this, looks technically very good. Hopefully the career mode is engaging as well.

GHG

Forza looks extremely washed out

It's odd because it goes from being washed out and underexposed during bright/daytime lighting conditions, to then any light source (headlights in particular) overexposing the fuck out of anything they shine light on in night/wet weather conditions.

One of the reviews I saw earlier mentioned it, but everything seems to point towards an issue with the way they've implemented auto-exposure.

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Turn 10 were always good at these games. Big fan of FM2, 3 and 4. Lance Hayes music was something else in 4.

Top Bottom