• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport (XSX) vs Gran Turismo 7 (PS5) Graphics Comparison (Up: Video in OP replaced as IGN one was not fit for purpose)

Which is better?

• Forza Motorsport(2023)

Votes: 170 24.1%
  • Gran Turismo 7

Votes: 404 57.2%
  • Mario Kart 8DX

Votes: 132 18.7%

• Total voters

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It always does. There are no clean races in Forza outside of being the only car on the track in time trails, qualifying laps, or practice.
Just checked and this is another cherry picked example. Generally cars will slow down and try and avoid you if you drive in the wrong way but just like in the GT video posted sometimes it gets confused and they just ram you. Honestly other than Turk in this thread I don't think I have seen an honest comparison.

Last edited:

skit_data

Andrea fella, no way
Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

//DEVIL//

Driveclub being all like:

GT7 being all like:

Meanwhile Forza:

Man. I really want to buy a modded PS5 just for Drive Club 60 fps.

I had my own clan / team in the game with my own logo on my cars and my teams car. played for months hours and hours.

the most talented racing team. sad to them not having the budget at EA to go wild.

Best looking driving game to date.

ShakenG

Turk1993 Turk1993 /anyone else.
Would love to see some comparisons of ai cars from behind them point of view.
Which game has better Ai car quality.
Haven't really seen this yet.

While GT7 is pretty inconsistent with popin in this regards, they do look pretty damn good up close with them.

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
In what way(s)?
GT5 was kind of a mess. The UI home screen was atrocious. Standard cars were shite (they improved them in 6). Insanely tedious loading times. Frankly terrible car sounds, performance issues and graphics were inconsistent. I liked the career structure and physics though.

Forza 4 was the best FM game. Insane amount of events, great and fun physics' that played way better than GT5 on a pad, great (though exaggerated) car sounds. Very slick UI, presentation was just nailed here and hasn't been as good since. And with all DLC one of the best car lists in any game. Almost Gran Turismo 2 level of good

ShakenG

GT5 was kind of a mess. The UI home screen was atrocious. Standard cars were shite (they improved them in 6). Insanely tedious loading times. Frankly terrible car sounds, performance issues and graphics were inconsistent. I liked the career structure and physics though.

Forza 4 was the best FM game. Insane amount of events, great and fun physics' that played way better than GT5 on a pad, great (though exaggerated) car sounds. Very slick UI, presentation was just nailed here and hasn't been as good since. And with all DLC one of the best car lists in any game. Almost Gran Turismo 2 level of good
Yeah, as a GT fan.. i agree with this. Its not a very popular game looking back. Maybe it had some moments of shine but that period was all Forza.
On the side, still have a sealed copy of GT5. Got it free with a bravia Teli.

BbMajor7th BbMajor7th kinda know the feeling, been away for bit over a week and lingering around these threads isnt helping. Got that craving...

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Eh, I don't think it was as bad as you state, but there have been better GTs since. Currently, I'd easily put GT ahead of Forza Motorsport.

Unknown?

Yeah, as a GT fan.. i agree with this. Its not a very popular game looking back. Maybe it had some moments of shine but that period was all Forza.

BbMajor7th BbMajor7th kinda know the feeling, been away for bit over a week and lingering around these threads isnt helping. Got that craving...
What are you talking about? It's the second best selling GT excluding the prologue. If you include Prologue it did 17 million!

Also, while it did have its problems, it introduced many things that were new to the series that For a didn't have. It had dynamic weather, dynamic time of day, wrc and NASCAR licenses, track creator, etc

blue velvet

My only real problem with GT5/6 is probably the sound simulation, it's just ass. Those game didn't lack content and features. Standard cars could've been used as easter egg instead of inflating the car count.

I think PD overestimate the cell processor, they've tried to simulate a lot of things that the PS3 could barely handle. GT5 Prologue is visually more consistent compared to GT5/6.

ShakenG

S
What are you talking about? It's the second best selling GT excluding the prologue. If you include Prologue it did 17 million!

Also, while it did have its problems, it introduced many things that were new to the series that For a didn't have. It had dynamic weather, dynamic time of day, wrc and NASCAR licenses, track creator, etc
Sorry mate, dont know what to say.. i didnt have that great of experience with it. I agree with sanua with the things he mentioned.. maybe i didnt give it enough time 🤷‍♂️
Not saying it didnt bring anything new either. Chill mate, not trying ro drag its achievements down.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Twitter is cesspit for these comparison. You have this Andrea guy and SnapBlastPlay vs Emula and the other GT fanboys posting garbage and bias all day
Emula was being recommended to me all day. One of the biggest cunts around. So many bullshit comparisons.

I think there should be some rules on posting twitter comparisons here. Twitter isnt moderated. Gaf is, but if this twitter stuff is posted here then whats the point?

Unknown?

S

Sorry mate, dont know what to say.. i didnt have that great of experience with it. I agree with sanua with the things he mentioned.. maybe i didnt give it enough time 🤷‍♂️
Not saying it didnt bring anything new either. Chill mate, not trying ro drag its achievements down.
I agree with his points too but am just pointing out there were tons of improvements over the previous entries.

SlimySnake

GT5 was probably the only time I played GT with over 6 friends in a race together. We had a blast. It felt like everyone was playing GT5 when it came out.

I think it was GT6 that came and went with no one but the hardcore GT fans picking it up. Releasing it after the PS4 launch with no cross gen version and dated graphics didnt help either. No one i knew bought it so i didnt buy it either. Maybe it was a good game, but in terms of popularity i thought GT5 was far more popular.

Unknown?

GT5 was probably the only time I played GT with over 6 friends in a race together. We had a blast. It felt like everyone was playing GT5 when it came out.

I think it was GT6 that came and went with no one but the hardcore GT fans picking it up. Releasing it after the PS4 launch with no cross gen version and dated graphics didnt help either. No one i knew bought it so i didnt buy it either. Maybe it was a good game, but in terms of popularity i thought GT5 was far more popular.
Which was sad they did that with no PS4 port because GT6 did a lot of things better! Standard cars didn't look like ass(although still behind premium), better graphics(amazing what they could push the PS3 to), better UI, better physics.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
My only real problem with GT5/6 is probably the sound simulation, it's just ass. Those game didn't lack content and features. Standard cars could've been used as easter egg instead of inflating the car count.

I think PD overestimate the cell processor, they've tried to simulate a lot of things that the PS3 could barely handle. GT5 Prologue is visually more consistent compared to GT5/6.
Prologue was also just a slice of a full game, so they could get away with more.

ShakenG

GT6 is the only game i haven't experienced. Ive played all of them including the portables. But i was all PC at that point so missed out.
Keep hoping 1day they become available but i know that'll never happen.

*available on PS5.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I am about to pull an Italy and literally join the other side the more i play Forza. Every fucking race is set during day time. There is no dynamic time of day or weather to speak of. Every race is on a fucking circuit. The game just feels like its on autoplay. Same thing over and over again. Can I get some variety please?

Spent two hours playing yesterday. NO night races. None. No rain. At least the night before i had one night race and 1 rain race out of the 10 or so races i played. yesterday was all monotone circuit midday racing. yay?

These devs need to play games like Forza Horizon and The Crew Motorsport. The off road event in The Crew straight up gave me motorstorm pacific rift vibes. Every track was different time of day and felt original even though they were all offraod. Some were on hills, others were through the forest, some were at night, some during rain. some around a volacano. I get that Forza motorsport is a traditional racer with no volcanos in sight, but can we at least get some races that start during dawn when the game looks its best? or during some rain? maybe have rain go in and out. spice things up a bit.

Also the races are too long. 10 minutes plus 5 minutes required practice for each race. I have begun to skip practices because every race is 5 laps and by lap 3 i wouldve learned the track anyway. Was GT7 like this? I honestly prefer GT Sports' campaign. It literally had no campaign but the licenses, track challenges and the 30-50 races they did have at launch were far more memorable than this.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I am about to pull an Italy and literally join the other side the more i play Forza. Every fucking race is set during day time. There is no dynamic time of day or weather to speak of. Every race is on a fucking circuit. The game just feels like its on autoplay. Same thing over and over again. Can I get some variety please?

Spent two hours playing yesterday. NO night races. None. No rain. At least the night before i had one night race and 1 rain race out of the 10 or so races i played. yesterday was all monotone circuit midday racing. yay?

These devs need to play games like Forza Horizon and The Crew Motorsport. The off road event in The Crew straight up gave me motorstorm pacific rift vibes. Every track was different time of day and felt original even though they were all offraod. Some were on hills, others were through the forest, some were at night, some during rain. some around a volacano. I get that Forza motorsport is a traditional racer with no volcanos in sight, but can we at least get some races that start during dawn when the game looks its best? or during some rain? maybe have rain go in and out. spice things up a bit.

Also the races are too long. 10 minutes plus 5 minutes required practice for each race. I have begun to skip practices because every race is 5 laps and by lap 3 i wouldve learned the track anyway. Was GT7 like this? I honestly prefer GT Sports' campaign. It literally had no campaign but the licenses, track challenges and the 30-50 races they did have at launch were far more memorable than this.
It is usually normal for the first steps of carrera moded to be in lighter conditions and with smaller cars. It's like that in all games of this type. It is true that with this they run the risk of losing those who seek strong emotions from the beginning like the one that comes from FH and other arcade games.

If your desire is to enjoy races in all possible conditions without having to wait to advance in career mode.... the best thing would be to create your own race and conditions in free mode where you can rent cars and change the weather, schedule live. , cars and race conditions.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

What mode did you play? Because in the first 2 hours of the builders cup you got literally al types of weather and tod. Dusk racing, night racing, rain racing, overcast racing and sunny day racing.

Nah races are not long lol, 10min race is nothing. In GT7 you have races that are 1h long and they where on of the best races i ever had. There is a 1h SPA race where the tod and weather is changing constantly and you have to be strategic how you pit and that. If you found those races long than i think racing sims are not your thing Slimy. And if you want quick races with fast dynamic and weather changes you can make a custom race with accelerated tod setting and length of the race.

SlimySnake

It is usually normal for the first steps of carrera moded to be in lighter conditions and with smaller cars. It's like that in all games of this type. It is true that with this they run the risk of losing those who seek strong emotions from the beginning like the one that comes from FH and other arcade games.

If your desire is to enjoy races in all possible conditions without having to wait to advance in career mode.... the best thing would be to create your own race and conditions in free mode where you can rent cars and change the weather, schedule live. , cars and race conditions.
right i figured that for the first few events that featured the honda civics and hyndai hatchback. but i did the porsche event the other day. one rain race. been doing the mustang event and its been all day time races. even the maple valley track was set during midday. thats the best looking track in the game and looked pretty mediocre.

they have the tech, but they arent utilizing it. so far the only thing that impressed me was a maple valley porsche race in the fog.

djjinx2

Do you online? Been having fun with it personally. Changing weather in some races

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Turk1993 Turk1993 /anyone else.
Would love to see some comparisons of ai cars from behind them point of view.
Which game has better Ai car quality.
Haven't really seen this yet.

While GT7 is pretty inconsistent with pop in in this regards, they do look pretty damn good up close with them.
GT7 has better ai cars thats for sure. Even on pc the ai cars are low quality in FM (2023). FM7 had better quality ai cars, they where lot closer to the player cars than FM (2023). In Forza there is less pop in but the quality of the car is lower. GT7 pop in more obvisous but the quality of the car in closer range is much higher.

SlimySnake

Do you online? Been having fun with it personally. Changing weather in some races

not yet. this is my first forza game since forza 5 back at xbone launch so im taking my time to learn the driving physics and tracks.

Nah races are not long lol, 10min race is nothing. In GT7 you have races that are 1h long and they where on of the best races i ever had. There is a 1h SPA race where the tod and weather is changing constantly and you have to be strategic how you pit and that. If you found those races long than i think racing sims are not your thing Slimy. And if you want quick races with fast dynamic and weather changes you can make a custom race with accelerated tod setting and length of the race.
yeah, i am not doing those 1 hour races lol. Played GT Sports online for god knows how many hours. I spent hours playing GT Sports mastering each track. The gave you gold trophies for mastering each part of the track and then had you run the whole thing. I had a blast with the races that there there on launch as well.

i am pretty sure i did the builders cup. the races are simply not as varied and im already repeating some tracks.

djjinx2

not yet. this is my first forza game since forza 5 back at xbone launch so im taking my time to learn the driving physics and tracks.

yeah, i am not doing those 1 hour races lol. Played GT Sports online for god knows how many hours. I spent hours playing GT Sports mastering each track. The gave you gold trophies for mastering each part of the track and then had you run the whole thing. I had a blast with the races that there there on launch as well.

i am pretty sure i did the builders cup. the races are simply not as varied and im already repeating some tracks.
I race using Controller and haven't really played sim/simcade since like GT4, I race clean and come usually 12th to last but having such a large field to race against its never boring!

Emet_bp

After seeing all the materials and seeing both games personally I can say that graphically Forza Motorsport does 5 things better than Gran Turismo 7.

1. Tree models - the fact that practically every tree close to the track is a quite complex model. They not always look realistic but still. In GT7 there are better tree models... but only in: a) scenes showing track before racing - there are some super complex tree models (PS6 ready ;) ; b) Grand Valley Highway track - trees are very detailed and more realistic than in FM... but there are only a couple of those on the track.
On rest of the tracks it's a mixed bag
On some tracks it is a 50/50 ratio between flat and 3D trees, on some it's 30/70 in favor of flat trees and on some it's 90% flat trees.

2. Trees move and in GT7 they are stiff.

3. More dynamic lights at night during gameplay. It seems like every or most of the cars have headlights working + more lights surrounding the track (sometimes there should not be lights on some tracks....but still). In GT7 It's random during gameplay. Usually only a couple of cars around us have working lights. On replays they are all working though.

4. RT reflections and RTAO present during gameplay (reflections are simple but still are present at 60fps).

5. Some terrain modeling around the track is more complex than in GT7.

Unfortunately everything else is at least a bit worse than in GT7.

1. Car models - this is a different league and we all know this so let's go to other things.

2. Material shaders are also a lot better in GT7. Car paint, plastics, metals, leather and especially headlights and tail lights rendering is on another level (although I'm happy that T10 finally have done something and it's finally a lot better than before).

3. Many small details on tracks and around them are better in GT7 (although as I mentioned before, track terrain is more complex in FM).

4. Grass - is's a lit more dense and look A LOT better in GT7.

5. Textures are better in 90% of instances.

6. Overall lighting and visual feel is more realistic in GT7.

7. RT reflections during replays and even more in photo mode are a lot more advanced in GT7.

8. Rain conditions overall look better in GT7. FM has a nice water spray straight from wheels but other than that it's worse. Track surface looks more flashy and "in your face" in FM. In GT7 it is toned down (a bit too much to be honest) but looks a lot more realistic.

9. Tracks are more acurate with they real counterpart.

Overall there is room for improvements in both games.

Last edited:

Unknown?

After seeing all the materials and seeing both games personally I can say that graphically Forza Motorsport does 5 things better than Gran Turismo 7.

1. Tree models - the fact that practically every tree close to the track is a quite complex model. They not always look realistic but still. In GT7 there are better tree models... but only in: a) scenes showing track before racing - there are some super complex tree models (PS6 ready ;) ; b) Grand Valley Highway track - trees are very detailed and more realistic than in FM... but there are only a couple of those on the track.
On some tracks it is a 50/50 ratio between flat and 3D trees, on some it's 30/70 in favor of flat trees and on some it's 90% flat trees.

3. More dynamic lights at night during gameplay. It seems like every or most of the cars have headlights working + more lights surrounding the track (sometimes there should not be lights on some tracks....but still). In GT7 It's random during gameplay. Usually only a couple of cars around us have working lights. On replays they are all working though.

4. RT reflections and RTAO present during gameplay (reflections are simple but still are present at 60fps).

1. Car models - this is a different league and we all know this so let's go to other things.

2. Material shaders are also a lot better in GT7. Car paint, plastics, metals, leather and especially headlights and tail lights rendering is on another level (although I'm happy that T10 finally have done something and it's finally a lot better than before).

3. Many small details on tracks and around them are better in GT7 (although as I mentioned before, track terrain is more complex in FM).

7. RT reflections during replays and even more in photo mode are a lot more advanced in GT7.

8. Rain conditions overall look better in GT7. FM has a nice water spray straight from wheels but other than that it's worse. Track surface looks more flashy and "in your face" in FM. In GT7 it is toned down (a bit too much to be honest) but looks a lot more realistic.

This sounds pretty accurate from my time with them. GT the trees are better on the newer tracks and not consistent.

rolandss

one thing that always annoyed me in GT7 about rain races was the spray from the other cars doesn’t appear on your windshield in cockpit view.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

9. Tracks are more acurate with they real counterpart.

There is room for improvement in every game released. Forza's issues (at least against GT) are not simply about improvement. There are things that need a full overhaul (cars/materials especially). For a game in dev for 6 years and supposedly built from scratch, there are a lot of questions that need answering.

Last edited:
There is room for improvement in every game released. Forza's issues (at least against GT) are not simply about improvement. They are things that need a full overhaul (cars/materials especially). For a game in dev for 6 years and supposedly built from scratch, there are a lot of questions that need answering.
That's it. I thought that materials, cars, would be much better. But they didn't improve much, and the IQ took a massive hit because of RT I guess

benzy

Xbox Series X Native 4k 60fps Mode vs GT7 PS5 quality mode. Same car with same factory paint color Bleu Alpine.
GT7 with the better environment details: higher density grass, tree LOD draw distance, better textures, better shadow resolution, npc crowds cast shadows, lighting, car paint materials and environment material properties are still unmatched. I thought the replays in Forza with the muddy 2d trees were bugged in those videos but that's how the distant trees look in gameplay.

forzamotorsport2023-1v2d48.jpg

granturismor7_2023100k9d9d.jpg

forzamotorsport2023-1ilfpt.jpg

granturismor7_2023100jbfod.jpg

forzamotorsport2023-14vcfl.jpg

granturismor7_2023100ayfuf.jpg

forzamotorsport2023-1z4ea5.jpg

granturismor7_2023100xwcx9.jpg

forzamotorsport2023-1ubfbt.jpg

granturismor7_2023100k6egh.jpg

forzamotorsport2023-185f9o.jpg

granturismor7_20231001mf6c.jpg

forzamotorsport2023-1fschg.jpg

granturismor7_20231000kdl4.jpg

forzamotorsport2023-16ldg6.jpg

granturismor7_202310099f87.jpg

forzamotorsport2023-1nedmg.jpg

granturismor7_20231007ji93.jpg

forzamotorsport2023-1n9dxs.jpg

granturismor7_2023100ynequ.jpg

GT7 replay capture
granturismor7_2023100gvdjk.jpg

Forza photomode trying to get the same angle and lighting condition
forzamotorsport2023-16ycv6.jpg

Xbox Series X Native 4k 60fps Mode vs GT7 PS5 quality mode. Same car with same factory paint color Bleu Alpine.
GT7 with the better environment details: higher density grass, tree LOD draw distance, better textures, better shadow resolution, npc crowds cast shadows, lighting, car paint materials and environment material properties are still unmatched. I thought the replays in Forza with the muddy 2d trees were bugged in those videos but that's how the distant trees look in gameplay.

forzamotorsport2023-1v2d48.jpg

granturismor7_2023100k9d9d.jpg

forzamotorsport2023-1ilfpt.jpg

granturismor7_2023100jbfod.jpg

forzamotorsport2023-14vcfl.jpg

granturismor7_2023100ayfuf.jpg

forzamotorsport2023-1z4ea5.jpg

granturismor7_2023100xwcx9.jpg

forzamotorsport2023-1ubfbt.jpg

granturismor7_2023100k6egh.jpg

forzamotorsport2023-185f9o.jpg

granturismor7_20231001mf6c.jpg