• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FOX feels Gordon Ramsay is critically underutilized, orders fourth reality series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Fox already has 3 successful cooking series with Gordon Ramsay on the air. Now the network has ordered a fourth reality series from the Scottish chef, this time set in the hotel business.

The title of the new series, Hotel Hell, is reminiscent of Ramsay’s flagship show on Fox, Hell’s Kitchen, while its premise is similar to that of his makeover Fox series Kitchen Nightmares. Hotel Hell, from Ramsay’s One Potato Two Potato production company, will feature Ramsay and a team of hospitality experts traveling across the country to fix struggling or mediocre hotels, motels and bed & breakfasts. In his trademark no-holds-barred style, Ramsay will go head-to-head with the owners and staff as he tries to whip the failing hotels into shape by making them fix their problems — from dirty bedrooms and mold-ridden bathrooms to incompetent employees or sub-par customer service. “These are stories that everyone can relate to, because virtually all of us have had a bad hotel experience that’s turned a holiday or business trip into a total disaster,” Ramsay said. “It’s time to put the hospitality industry to the test.”

On the show, Ramsay will call on more than a decade of experience running restaurants in top hotels around the world, traveling as well as running a boutique hotel in London. “Gordon is amazing to work with and no matter what the premise, he delivers every time,” said Fox’s president of alternative programming Mike Darnell. “With an unprecedented three shows already on the air, Gordon is an incredible television success, and we’re really thrilled to put him through Hotel Hell on Fox.”

Under his current deal with Fox, which runs through 2014, CAA-repped Ramsay is executive producing and starring on Hell’s Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares and MasterChef, the last one produced by One Potato Two Potato, Ramsay’s joint production venture with Optomen Television. Unlike those series, which were based on formats that originated in the U.K., Hotel Hell is a new format that Ramsay’s company developed with Darnell and Fox.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/qua...-up-fourth-reality-series-from-gordon-ramsay/

Well why not, I guess.

kottila

why not make a version of the "Best restaurant in UK" show and make it about the food and passion of chefs and not all about fake drama and yelling. and a version of Kitchen Nightmare based on the British version

Tamanon

Banned
Hotel Hell? I'm down for it! At least the Ramsay overload doesn't hit as hard since they're usually separate seasons.

Wanace

If there was a Gordon Ramsay channel I'd need nothing else. Love his shows, everything from the F-Word to Hell's Kitchen is amazing and he is an entertaining character as well as a great chef.

satriales

This is good news as it keeps him away from UK screens. How about you give us Hugh Laurie back now and we'll call it even?

mrbagdt

kottila said:
and a version of Kitchen Nightmare based on the British version
is the american version of 'kitchen nightmare' different? i have just started watching the series on netflix, have seen maybe 15 episodes of the 32 on there, i really like the show. my wife says that he is completely different on this show than he is on his others like hells kitchen and enjoying kitchen nightmare doesnt mean you will enjoy the other series.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I just found Kitchen Nightmares (UK edition) on Netflix and blazed through the series, love it. When/where is the US version on? Is it new?

Double D

I'd like to see a montage of him bitching about the 'fucking risotto'. Seems like every time I see that guy those words are coming out of his mouth.

satriales

mrbagdt said:
is the american version of 'kitchen nightmare' different?
The British version seems more genuine, it doesn't have the annoying 'coming up next' and 'previously on' bits at the start and end of every commercial break, Gordon Ramsey does the voice over himself, there isn't the dramatic music and horrible editing that try and force emotion onto you, they don't chuck a load of money at a makeover and instead try to fix the restaurant by improving the food.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'd much rather an American F Word. Air that shit on Saturday nights against SNL, Fox.

Wanace

satriales said:
The British version seems more genuine, it doesn't have the annoying 'coming up next' and 'previously on' bits at the start and end of every commercial break, Gordon Ramsey does the voice over himself, there isn't the dramatic music and horrible editing that try and force emotion onto you, they don't chuck a load of money at a makeover and instead try to fix the restaurant by improving the food.
Yeah, I watch the American version and definitely feel like I'm watching a faked reality TV show. The British version feels 100% more genuine and is far more entertaining.

Double D

Gordon Ramsey would make the perfect wife. He can cook the shit out of some food, and there is absolutely no bullshit when it comes to communicating.

rezuth

Tim the Wiz said:
I worry about his blood pressure.
So did he, thats why he lost tons of weight and calmed himself down. If you wanna see Ramsay mad I suggest watching Boiling Point or some of his earlier shows where he screams "You fucking fat bastard" and stuff at his staff.

ToxicAdam

Oh boy, can't wait until he tackles mini-golf courses next ...

'This 18th hole has standing water in it! You could kill somebody, you donkey!"

They really should do the next series of Kitchen Nightmares US in the same style as the British shows. Aside from the fact they'd be cheaper to produce, it'd be infinitely more entertaining seeing how people ACTUALLY react to their businesses failing, as opposed to the fakery that goes on in the US show.

The look of devestation on some peoples faces in the UK version genuinely makes for uncomfortable viewing at times. The look of obvious mirth on peoples faces in the US version because they know Gordon is going to fix everything, combined with the fuck-ugly fake crying face when the shows producers tell them to make things more dramatic, makes for extremely shitty television.

Won't even get into Hell's Kitchen. Holy shit, worst reality tv show ever, makes Gordon look like a complete and utter parody of himself.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
glaringradio said:
They really should do the next series of Kitchen Nightmares US in the same style as the British shows. Aside from the fact they'd be cheaper to produce, it'd be infinitely more entertaining seeing how people ACTUALLY react to their businesses failing, as opposed to the fakery that goes on in the US show.

The look of devestation on some peoples faces in the UK version genuinely makes for uncomfortable viewing at times. The look of obvious mirth on peoples faces in the US version because they know Gordon is going to fix everything, combined with the fuck-ugly fake crying face when the shows producers tell them to make things more dramatic, makes for extremely shitty television.

Won't even get into Hell's Kitchen. Holy shit, worst reality tv show ever, makes Gordon look like a complete and utter parody of himself.

Based on this, it sounds like (even though it is mild in comparison to Kitchen Nightmares UK) the Food Network show Restaurant Impossible is better than the US Kitchen Nightmares.

Yeah, I like UK KN way better, but I still have gotten into Restaurant Impossible a bit as I like Robert Irvine. It is funny compared to UK Nightmares though, it was night and day once I Netflix'd that, seeing Gordon just tear into people (as he should) compared to Robert's (slightly) softer approach.

markatisu

Yes please, more Chef Ramsay!

His shows move so fast and are so entertaining. Though I find the Kitchen Nightmares in the US more disgusting to watch then the UK one (meaning harder because of the stuff he finds wrong in them).

Wait, he's Scottish? I didn't know that. (Although the name should have given it away.)

Checked wikipedia, he moved to England when he was 5, which is why I couldn't tell.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Based on this, it sounds like (even though it is mild in comparison to Kitchen Nightmares UK) the Food Network show Restaurant Impossible is better than the US Kitchen Nightmares.

Yeah, I like UK KN way better, but I still have gotten into Restaurant Impossible a bit as I like Robert Irvine. It is funny compared to UK Nightmares though, it was night and day once I Netflix'd that, seeing Gordon just tear into people (as he should) compared to Robert's (slightly) softer approach.
Kitchen Nightmares is better than Restaurant Impossible in my opinion. Robert Irvine annoys me but he does an decent job.

Heysoos said:
Good, new show, because Master Chef is dead to me.

Lmfao! Same.

Yea why not. So far I haven't gotten tired of anything Ramsay so bring it on. What I am tired of is the FOX bullshit. Less bullshit more Ramsay.

UK Kitchen Nightmares and the F word were brilliant. Especially the latter was a good show, the cook off vs. celebrities, the raising of animals that would be eaten in the final episode, interesting characters all around. US Kitchen Nightmares is terrible because it's more Dr Phil than rescuing a failing restaurant. I don't think Hotel Hell will be any better sadly. Strange as there must be failing hotels/restaurants run by people with a functional family.

industrian said:
He's over 40 and Scottish. He's had a good run.

alex-ferguson_1003518c.jpg

Slayven

When does the guy have time to take a shit? He has fifty UK shows, suing his wife's family, getting ripped off, and 24 american shows. He is like a real life Wolverine.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Wait, he's Scottish? I didn't know that. (Although the name should have given it away.)

The swearing didn't? Us Scots swear that much it's pretty much a language on its own.

Tim the Wiz said:

He's both Scottish and a God.

CrankyKong said:
I'll watch anything with Ramsay in it
MetalFearSolid said:
More Gordon Ramsay can't be a bad thing..
-Pyromaniac- said:
I love Ramsay, pretty much watch almost everything with him in it.
Zwei said:
Agreed. I have a complete man-crush on Mr. Ramsay. Love the dude.
So true, I really like Gordon Ramsay and all the shows he's on on FOX as well as UK Kitchen Nightmares. The only one I didn't care for is the one where he travels around the world, Great Adventure or something.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm calling it now: Ramsey's Fifth show will be a co-production with Seth MacFarlane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom