• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freddie Mercury is still the best rock vocalist

Dhx

Let's do this right. First of all, paging Mumei. He does this better than anyone, and I'm going to steal one of his posts from years ago that I revisit when I'm in a vocal appreciation mood.

First, be sure to start with checking out the a cappella tracks:

Don't Stop Me Now (my personal Queen GOAT): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or6nB5iDlUA
Show Must Go On: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GGFdY3Sopc
I Want it All: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4b0MarojNI

There are many more tracks down the rabbit hole from those.

As for specific notes, I'll leave it to Mumei..

Mumei said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37286387&postcount=5671

High Notes (Falsetto):
Mid / High Notes (Modal):
Low Notes

That said, let's not forget Bruce Dickinson. Tate and Plant belong someone in the conversation as well.

Honorable mentions for pure range to David Lee Roth and Axl Rose, but I wouldn't put either in the conversation for "greatest."

Sesha

Nah, Mike Patton is. Widest range, most versatile in terms of technique, most diverse musically.

I guess Freddie Mercury's voice is "prettier", and he's arguably more influential, but eh.

Steve Perry should get more love.

Searched to see if Steve Perry was mentioned and glad I'm not alone. I'd put Steve Perry above Freddie when it comes to pure vocal ability though Freddie as a more complete package as a frontman/showman and Queen was more molded to Freddie's voice.

Brian May also probably deserves a lot more credit.

Randam

If we're talking from a purely technical perspective, sure.

If we're using charisma and creativity as measures, I give it to HR, no question.
Who is HR?

And yeah, Mike Paton has great voice.
So does Jonathan Davis from Korn.

Corey Taylor is good too.
And one always overlooked singer is Joey Belladonna from Anthrax.

I really want to know when the memo went out that said that Freddy Mercury was the greatest talent rock ever produced. Many people clearly got it, since I don't remember people frothing this much about Queen 10 years ago. Is it all the same people that followed MJ until the end instead of getting off that particular boat in 1993?

Not only the best rock vocalist; but also the best figure Bandai has ever released from their SH Figuarts line.

2HBsF8M.jpg

The gun is from the MGS2 Solid Snake Figma. It's not included.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
No Michael Stipe mentions? Come on.

Also, another vote here for Steve Perry.

Steven Tyler from Aerosmith is my personal favourite. He's not as good a singer as Mercury and likely not as good a showman, but I prefer him.

Pretty sure that is not true. I remember reading a few years back that the highest vocal note as a live performance was done by Rob Halford at a Montreal performance in the early 80's.

Not the highest note, the highest range. Halford may have been able to go higher, but Rose could go (much) lower

Most singers do. Mercury didn't even do a lot of the high notes in concert--for example I am yet to hear a live version of Under Pressure where he even tries to go high like he does in the album version. Shit, I go higher doing that song for Karaoke than Freddy does in most of their recorded live performances. Obviously he has a smoother voice across the board than I could even dream of, but a lot of his iconic segments are lackluster live compared to the crisp sound they achieved in the studio. In fact, a lot of the higher notes in Queen songs are secretly Brian May. Mercury was a phenomenal talent, but I wouldn't say he was consistent with his live performances--granted most singers of that caliber rarely are. The only people I've ever seen/heard do better live than on their albums are the guys from Baroness, and Tommy Giles Rogers from Between The Buried And Me. I think Baroness is mostly because their sound mixing is terrible on most of their albums but they sound way better live than they do on albums.

This is a very interesting take.

I do agree Tommy from BTBAM and the dudes from Baroness are way better live.

My top 5:

Cornell (Soundgarden, Audioslave, Temple of the Dog)
Vedder (Pearl Jam, Temple of the Dog)
Mercury (Queen)
Plant (Led Zeppelin)
McKinney (Karnivool)

Honorable Mentions:

Rob Halford (Judas Priest)
Maynard J Keenan (Tool, APC)

V1ctIm

Neo Member
Yup. I can't understand why or how this can be an argument anymore. Freddie's power and range are quite seriously second to none. There are other talented folks out there to be sure, but no one comes close.

MrS

Banned
Plant is better, and Zep are better than Queen. I really dislike Queen. Too theatrical for my tastes.

Yup. I can't understand why or how this can be an argument anymore. Freddie's power and range are quite seriously second to none. There are other talented folks out there to be sure, but no one comes close.

Freddie Mercury was indeed talented, but this nonsense has to stop.

LMAO @ no one else comes close.

Plant is better, and Zep are better than Queen. I really dislike Queen. Too theatrical for my tastes.

Yeah I've never been a Queen fan. I find the whole resurgence of Queen with the younger internet generation amusing.
Queen, Radiohead and Muse - the Internet Trifecta of sheeple masturbation.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
A shame that such a great singer had to die so young. Who knows what else he could have given us.

Yeah I've never been a Queen fan. I find the whole resurgence of Queen with the younger internet generation amusing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed.

He's great, but come on. There have been a ton of amazing rock singers. At some point during the 80's, the cup runneth over with virtuosos in all rock fields.

Oh come the fuck on.

Radiohead and Muse, ok, yes, they are as annoying as Apple/Mac snobs... but Queen deserves every bit of praise they get.

Freddie Mercury was indeed talented, but this nonsense has to stop.

LMAO @ no one else comes close.

As an overall talent/frontman? Who else? Stevie Nicks, Robert Plant, and... ? Maybe Steve Perry or Axl?

One can make a claim that Stipe wasn't even the best singer in his own band.

oKV3Fdd.gif

... I'm out

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
One can make a claim that Stipe wasn't even the best singer in his own band.

I love Mike Mills (and many favorite REM songs are him leading on vocals) but this is a ludicrous notion.

Harmen

No one comes close is nonsense, but he is one of my favourite vocalists ever for sure. And a unique one. But still, Queen deserves the praise they get in my opinion. They have been incredibly influential on many artists spanning many genres and generations with a reason. Incredibly versatile music with quality on all fronts, not only vocally. People tend to think about Queen only for their greatest hits (of which there are many), but beyond those are so much other of tracks that are fantastic, a lot of them of different styles as well.

That said, most of my favourite rock/metal singers are not nearly as well known. These include Russel Allen, Floor Jansen, Tom Englund, Tony Kakko, Carl Anderson etc. So many great versatile rock voices out there.

Are we judging purely based on technique/skill? If not, this motherfucker is my favorite Rock 'N Roll singer, obviously technically not in the same league:

bf892256-7306-4cbb-b501-bdfc13c2ae10

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'll add two more to list: John Fogerty and Stephen Malkmus.
Creedence is my favorite band ever, and I believe Fogerty had a terrific voice (I say "had" because I'm not really a fan of how his voice aged, even though I really like his solo stuff), but I still think Freddie was a better singer than him.

Off the top of my head these guys are so much better:
John Lennon
Thom Yorke
Jim James
Eddie Vedder
David Gilmour
Roger Waters
Paul McCartney
Bob Dylan
Same deal with Gilmour. I like his voice a lot, but he's nowhere near Freddie. Neither are Waters (which I consider worse than Gilmour), Lennon, McCartney (my favorite Beatle) nor Yorke. Haven't listened much to the others, so I don't have any opinions about them. This doesn't mean these guys are bad singers, far from it, only that I think Freddie was more skilled.

Brad Delp has my favorite classic rock voice, he was such a fantastic singer. Dio, Steve Perry, Roy Orbison are up there too next to Freddy, all legends.
Delp was amazing, and could maybe rival Freddie, or at least come very close. His voice in "Hitch a ride" and "Long time" is breathtakingly beautiful.

RMI

Banned
Freddie has an awesome voice, but greatest? I don't know.

I've read some stupid shit on this website but this is something else.

also Muse... gtfo they are not even in the same league as Radiohead and Queen.

Ethelwulf

As usual for these type of things, naming one is impossible. Rather, I would consider him one of the best and most iconic rock singers of all time.

RDreamer

We really having a thread on some of the best vocalists of all time and no one has mentioned this man yet:

f9bFYTw.jpg

Devin fucking Townsend. Seriously, the guy is insane and his voice holds up live.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
It just amazed me how alot of even great studio artists cant sound too great live

You watch queen live and freddie bursts out those notes sometimes even better then the album versions

Im not much of a rock guy, but freddie seems like a safe bet

Top Bottom