• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freddy Krueger ready to scare the cast of 'The Goldbergs'

cryptoadam

Banned
Freddy Krueger ready to scare the cast of 'The Goldbergs'

Freddy Krueger is coming for "The Goldbergs."
ABC announced Friday that Robert Englund is reprising his role as the "A Nightmare on Elm Street" slasher for a Halloween episode of the ABC sitcom.
The show is keeping with its 1980s setting. The Krueger episode, titled "Nightmare on Elk Avenue," centers on the fears of the show's teenage protagonist, Adam, after seeing "A Nightmare on Elm Street."
Englund, who played Krueger in eight horror films starting in 1984, was known for killing teens in their sleep wearing a gloved hand with sharpened razors.
In a statement, Englund calls his guest appearance "a spooky valentine to the fans."
The sixth season of "The Goldbergs" premieres on Sept. 26 at 8 p.m. Eastern, and the Halloween episode will air in October.

Maybe lets consider this the Goldbergs OT.

One of my favorite shows. Love the nostalgic jokes, the Jewish jokes, Jeff Garlin is hilarious as Murray(and reminds me of my late uncle).

Last season we got Rick Moranis as Dark Helmet and now this year we are getting Freddy.

Cant wait for Sept 26th.

cr0w

Old Member
I need to actually watch this, it seems like it'd hit all my 80s nostalgia buttons.

That being said, a lot of people paid a ton of money a few years back to meet Englund in his "last ever appearance" in the Freddy make-up at a convention if I recall correctly, so it has to sting a bit.

cryptoadam

Banned
No shit, did Rick Moranis actually appear on the show? I miss the hell out of that dude, but the reason he retired was very admirable.

From what I read his voice was the real deal, but he wasn't in the costume, so its a half cameo.

cryptoadam

Banned
I need to actually watch this, it seems like it'd hit all my 80s nostalgia buttons.

That being said, a lot of people paid a ton of money a few years back to meet Englund in his "last ever appearance" in the Freddy make-up at a convention if I recall correctly, so it has to sting a bit.

Do you mean the episode or the show? If you haven't watch the show its really funny. Barry is hilarious (the older brother) and there are a ton of great 80's jokes/refrences. Just don't take it to seriously because they play around with the timeline.

Kagey K

Banned
I absolutely love this show, and can’t wait to see Freddy on it. The synopsis hits a bit close to home for me, can’t wait to see how it plays out.

cr0w

Old Member
Do you mean the episode or the show? If you haven't watch the show its really funny. Barry is hilarious (the older brother) and there are a ton of great 80's jokes/refrences. Just don't take it to seriously because they play around with the timeline.

The show itself. I've been meaning to watch it, I just always forget or am distracted by stuff on Hulu or Netflix I've already seen dozens of times (I'm looking at you, Friday Night Lights and The Office).

MC Safety

The Goldbergs is a brilliant show, and possibly the best thing on TV right now.

I loved the guest appearances by wrestler Bill Goldberg. And the episode at Beefsteak Charlie -- which was a real thing -- was absolutely wonderful.

Last year, the show did a pilot for a spin-off. It was terrible, and I remember thinking a show this great shouldn't spin off a piece of absolute trash. I don't know if there are plans for the spinoff to become its own thing or if the Goldbergs will just sort of morph into the spinoff.

Kagey K

Banned

I loved the guest appearances by wrestler Bill Goldberg. And the episode at Beefsteak Charlie -- which was a real thing -- was absolutely wonderful.

Last year, the show did a pilot for a spin-off. It was terrible, and I remember thinking a show this great shouldn't spin off a piece of absolute trash. I don't know if there are plans for the spinoff to become its own thing or if the Goldbergs will just sort of morph into the spinoff.
Well eventually Adam will have to go to college and I worry about what’s going to happen to the show as that progresses, as well as them having to go into the 90s.

Couple of my fav bits from last season were the shrinky dinky and eggy in the hole conversations. Omg I laughed way too hard at both of those.

Moneal

They were thinking of spinning off a 90s series, but I think the pilot didn't show as well in tests, so they put it on for the premier of last season. Don't think it did well then either. I didn't even make it through half. It just didn't hit the nostalgia notes that the first did, and I was a teen in the 90s.

MC Safety

They were thinking of spinning off a 90s series, but I think the pilot didn't show as well in tests, so they put it on for the premier of last season. Don't think it did well then either. I didn't even make it through half. It just didn't hit the nostalgia notes that the first did, and I was a teen in the 90s.

Whatever it was, it didn't have the heart or the brains The Goldbergs does.

MC Safety

There's a new woman playing Adam's girlfriend, Jackie. I guess they try to hide it by saying she went off to New York for the summer and became a punk rocker.

Yeah, Dave Kim even makes a joke about the girlfriend coming back as a whole different person.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Whatever it was, it didn't have the heart or the brains The Goldbergs does.

The spin off sucked. The guidance counclor and gym coach are good side characters but they can't carry a whole show. And the family dynamic of the Goldbergs is also very important. Murray's lazyness, Bevs Smotherness, Pops old zayda ways are just as important to the show as Barry/Erica/Adam.

If you want to see a good 90's family show Fresh off the boat has you covered.

cryptoadam

Banned
Well eventually Adam will have to go to college and I worry about what’s going to happen to the show as that progresses, as well as them having to go into the 90s.

Couple of my fav bits from last season were the shrinky dinky and eggy in the hole conversations. Omg I laughed way too hard at both of those.

What about the Micheal Jackson jacket? LOL.

Or when they go for Spring Break. There are too many classic bits actually.

One of my fav from early seasons was when Bev called Nintendo Nintardo and she got the go bots and transformers mixed up LOL.

Kagey K

Banned
What about the Micheal Jackson jacket? LOL.

Or when they go for Spring Break. There are too many classic bits actually.

One of my fav from early seasons was when Bev called Nintendo Nintardo and she got the go bots and transformers mixed up LOL.

Micheal Jackson jacket only makes you bad if you are still a good friend. Otherwise it makes you bad, .....bad.

Barry and Erika: We eggy our own holes now. Huh Mom?

Barry: Nobody shrinks my dink’s, I will shrink my own dink.”

That shit is way funnier then Nintardo and Transformbots.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Omg. I have to say that Adam and Bev on the roller coaster is the funniest thing that’s happened this season and probably in the top 5 moments from the show.

I haven’t laughed that hard in a long time.

dolabla

I've never watched this show before, but I'm definitely checking this out if Freddy is going to be on an episode.

cryptoadam

Banned
Omg. I have to say that Adam and Bev on the roller coaster is the funniest thing that’s happened this season and probably in the top 5 moments from the show.

I haven’t laughed that hard in a long time.

This season has been on fire.

Bev and Karokee with Rick Springfield cameo. (took me till the end of the episode to put 2 and 2 together).

Murray getting so happy that Erica got a job and that Barry was saving money :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Pointing out that Adam's GF is played by a different actress :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

And I like that the Real Beverly actually wrote those guilt letters. I really like when they do those post credit sit downs with the real people that the actors are based on. Though we won't ever see the real Erica on there :messenger_winking::messenger_winking:

cryptoadam

Banned
Good episode and the Elm Street segment was a nice callback. Englund did a great job and had some good lines.

Best part of the episode was Bev and Adams conversation at the table.

Top Bottom