• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free movement proposed between Canada, U.K, Australia, New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mike

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...en-canada-u-k-australia-new-zealand-1.2998105

When James Skinner moved from the United Kingdom to Australia, he fell in love with Melbourne, landed a great job, met a great group of friends, settled down in his new home — only to leave because permanent residency was much harder to obtain than he anticipated.

Skinner, who now lives in Vancouver, says he fears the same experience could happen again.

Vasco Castela loses job, may have to leave Canada over immigration mix up
Permanent residency spouse sponsorship delays leave new dad unable to support family
"We are virtually the same people," he told The Early Edition's Rick Cluff, referring to countries within the Commonwealth.

"The only thing that divides us is the cover of our passports."

Skinner, who is the founder and executive director of the Commonwealth Freedom of Movement Organization, is calling on politicians in Canada, the U.K., Australia and New Zealand to loosen restrictions on visas and work permits between the four countries.

He says citizens within the European Union can work and reside indefinitely in each of the 28 member states, and a similar policy occurs between Australia and New Zealand.

There's no reason why something similar can't happen between Canada, the U.K., Australia and New Zealand, he argued.

"We've had that Commonwealth tie for generations and decades in the past, we've stuck together through thick and thin, [we] share the same head of state, the same native language, the same respect for the common law," he said.

"It's not something completely out there that we're proposing."

The Commonwealth Freedom of Movement Organization's petition has already gathered nearly 25,000 online signatures.

Skinner says he plans to send the petition to politicians in New Zealand and Australia, and then to the Canadian and British governments, pending elections in each respective country.

To hear the full interview with James Skinner, click on the audio labelled: Group calls on free movement between Canada, U.K., New Zealand and Australia.

It does sort of sound like an elaborate scheme to move to Melbourne on his part. But I'm all for open borders, although I don't see why we shouldn't go all the way and just open up the borders between WEIRD countries.

lupinko

I dunno, are you guys ready for the Prince of Darkness himself, Harper?

Well hopefully we have super sexy BC bud aficionado Justin Trudeau in charge by then.

elfinke

As long as we can abbreviate it to the "CUNZA Agreement", I'd be on board, so I can say "CUNZA coming to Australia".

markot

Banned
Only if the US denounces its rebellion shennanigans and reinstanes her majesty as head of state.

Also back taxes for the tea with compunding interest.

Oh, it doesnt include the USA, phew.

Derwind

Interesting notion but immigration laws shouldn't be reformed specifically for a few 1st world countries. If reform is happening, it should happen on a broader scale.

Joe Blow from the UK isn't the only one in danger of being uprooted away from his family because of tough immigration laws.

PrawnyNZ

Happy with this as long as there is a clause that states that Celine Dion and Nickleback must stay within Canadian borders.

Sakura

As a Canadian I would be all for it. We all speak English (well most of us), we all share the same Queen and have similar histories. If countries in Europe can do it, why not us?

Deadbeat

Banned
As a Canadian, no thanks. I dont need british people screwing up the hooker and gun party we got going over here. Kiwis are cool so they can come. Australians will have to be sprayed down due to a severe case of gigantus arachnis plaguing their nation.

Polari

New Zealand and Australia already have free movement. Boris Johnson has called for a deal between New Zealand and the UK.

Vibranium

Banned
Maybe if my fellow Canadians can help vote Harper out, we can try to gain some traction on this. I'm all for this, it would be great and I would love to go to the UK for a long period of time someday.

I dunno, are you guys ready for the Prince of Darkness himself, Harper?

Well hopefully we have super sexy BC bud aficionado Justin Trudeau in charge by then.

Maybe if we succeed in chucking him out we can ship Harper to a rock in Australia!

Big-E

It is ridiculous that we are talking about this in 2015. As a Canadian, I should be able to go to any country that has a picture of the queen hanging on the wall in a government building somewhere. What's the point of the queen being the leader of the commonwealth if movement of people is restricted?

Vibranium

Banned
I hope Harper wins another 4 years. The salt would be amazing.

I will be the saltiest person on Gaf. Reddit Canada went nuts too when he won last time, wasn't pretty.

As for Trudeau, I will take him and all evils if the Libs are the only shot at unseating the Conservatives.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
As a Scottish guy currently in Australia on a working holiday, I'd be down for this.

I'd also be more willing to live with a UK-Canada-Australia-NZ economic/free movement union than the EU as well.

CLEEK

I moved from the UK to Melbourne, and visas and residency and shit was no big deal.

If you moved to a country to work, you need a visa, so the dude in the OP should have been well aware of the requirements to work and stay in Australia.

I can think it would have been one of two visa situations. He travelled to Australia on a working holiday visa, which is aimed at back-packers and puts very clear limits on the type and duration of work you do and how long you can stay in the country. Or he got a temporary work visa, which means he was sponsored by an employer and could live and work in the country for four years before needing to get permanent residency.

If the came over on a working holiday visa and expected to stay, he's an idiot. If it was the latter and his sponsored employment ended or four years came up, he'd have to get permanent residency on his own. If he'd qualified for sponsorship in the first place, the latter process is straight forward. This is the exact same thing my wife and I went through.

We have tons of overseas born folks from all corners of the globe at work who all have gotten residency without much pain. It's only hard if you want to import spouses/family.

As long as you work in an area that's on the skilled list, the requirements for residency are very small.

http://www.workpermit.com/australia/point_calculator.htm

ppor

Interesting notion but immigration laws shouldn't be reformed specifically for a few 1st world countries. If reform is happening, it should happen on a broader scale.

Joe Blow from the UK isn't the only one in danger of being uprooted away from his family because of tough immigration laws.

What does this have to do with 1st world countries? Like someone said, New Zealand and Australia already have an agreement.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Half of your youth already work at our plethora of ski resorts, why the hell not!

Sinistral

As a Canadian, I would love for this to happen. Being over 30 now, getting a work visa is impossible. Being sponsored by a company in the industry I am in is not bloody likely mate. But I would love to be able to work around and visit the world. Those in the Commonwealth are the corner stones to the rest of the world in terms of distance.

It is ridiculous that we are talking about this in 2015. As a Canadian, I should be able to go to any country that has a picture of the queen hanging on the wall in a government building somewhere. What's the point of the queen being the leader of the commonwealth if movement of people is restricted?

This woild allow a lot of poor African amd pacific island migrants in too, no way that gonna happen.

markot

Banned

Most agreements start between 2 countries. And countries with very similar histories and cultures obiously have fewer hurdles between migration between them. It is generally going to be easier for a Canadian to live in the US or Australia then someone from a non English speaking country.

Unless theyre from Quebec. So it should obviously be excluded.

Komo

Banned
Hell yes.

I don't see why this shouldn't be a thing at all. Then again, I just really want out of my country

Derwind

What does this have to do with 1st world countries? Like someone said, New Zealand and Australia already have an agreement.

I just mentioned 1st world countries because the article highlights four (UK is not technically a country tho right?).

But I'm speaking as a Canadian, immigration laws should be reformed on a broader scale, rather than favour only select few countries on something as absurd as the Commonwealth which hasn't had any relevance to global politics in decades.

Thats my feeling.

Darren870

I moved from the UK to Melbourne, and visas and residency and shit was no big deal.

If you moved to a country to work, you need a visa, so the dude in the OP should have been well aware of the requirements to work and stay in Australia.

I can think it would have been one of two visa situations. He travelled to Australia on a working holiday visa, which is aimed at back-packers and puts very clear limits on the type and duration of work you do and how long you can stay in the country. Or he got a temporary work visa, which means he was sponsored by an employer and could live and work in the country for four years before needing to get permanent residency.

If the came over on a working holiday visa and expected to stay, he's an idiot. If it was the latter and his sponsored employment ended or four years came up, he'd have to get permanent residency on his own. If he'd qualified for sponsorship in the first place, the latter process is straight forward. This is the exact same thing my wife and I went through.

We have tons of overseas born folks from all corners of the globe at work who all have gotten residency without much pain. It's only hard if you want to import spouses/family.

As long as you work in an area that's on the skilled list, the requirements for residency are very small.

http://www.workpermit.com/australia/point_calculator.htm

I'm an American in Melbourne and also lived in the UK for 5 years. I 100% agree. Australia is much easier to get residency in then the UK. Sounds like the guy didn't do his homework and just wants open boarders because he is an idiot.

CLEEK

Of course a country should discriminate on how immigration varies for different source countries. If you are close culturally/economically/educationally/health, and can have reciprocal social systems, then open travel or immigration makes perfect sense.

A potential immigrant from Canada to NZ would have an equivalent level of education, health, language etc compared to someone coming from Sudan or Thailand.

I support the AU/NZ/CA/UK free movement, as I do for the EU as well. Opening up first world countries to everyone, regardless of culture, education and skills, health, language etc is a terrible idea and one that will never happen.

It baffles me that these countries share a head of state but don't have a free travel arrangement.

I have a UK and NZ passport, which means I can freely move to Australia or even Spain, but not Canada.

As a Canadian, I am for this, but so long as it includes every other country in the world as well. I don't see how it makes much of any sense otherwise. I want my country to have equal opportunities for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom