• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free movement proposed between Canada, U.K, Australia, New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

v1oz

But why only those countries? Why wouldn't it extend to the whole commonwealth? What of Singapore, Malaysia, South Africa, Malta and Cyprus?

Dennis

Banned
Also, I am pretty sure Continental Europe has Australia in its pocket now what with allowing them to go to Eurovision.

Barzul

This actually makes a lot of sense. I wonder why it isn't a thing. US and Canada should especially I think have a EU type agreement if there isn't one. I mean imagine getting deported back to Canada or vice versa....I mean what's the fucking point?

This actually makes a lot of sense. I wonder why it isn't a thing. US and Canada should especially I think have a EU type agreement if there isn't one. I mean imagine getting deported back to Canada or vice versa....I mean what's the fucking point?

It's gone in the opposite direction. Before 9/11 you didn't need a passport to get into Canada. Now you do.

justjohn

But why only those countries? Why wouldn't it extend to the whole commonwealth? What of Singapore, Malaysia, South Africa, Malta and Cyprus?
Yeah, I would love to see Pakistan and Nigeria given free access to these countries as well. They're all in the commonwealth right guys? Guys?

Barzul

It's gone in the opposite direction. Before 9/11 you didn't need a passport to get into Canada. Now you do.

9/11 really did make America paranoid about immigration...not like it was without cause. Hate that Al Qaeda just fucked shit up for everyone. I'm sure there would have been a lot more progress made on the legal immigration front without it.

Willectro

Banned
As a Canadian, no thanks. We will just get swarmed with people looking for work, free healthcare and other handouts.

I don't see what the issue is here. Want to stay in a country? Follow the rules and don't fuck up your immigration paperwork. I'm always shocked how entitled people can be about the immigration rules/laws of another country.

Nothing against the other countries, I just don't think this benefits a majority of Canada's population. The immigration laws and requirements exist for a reason.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I find it weird that there are "first class" commonwealth countries and "trash" commonwealth countries.

The procedures that my relatives from Malaysia have to go through to come to Canada are ridiculous, especially given that Canada doesn't have a consulate there anymore.

As a Canadian, no thanks. We will just get swarmed with people looking for work, free healthcare and other handouts.

I don't see what the issue is here. Want to stay in a country? Follow the rules and don't fuck up your immigration paperwork. I'm always shocked how entitled people can be about the immigration rules/laws of another country.

Nothing against the other countries, I just don't think this benefits a majority of Canada's population. The immigration laws and requirements exist for a reason.

You're full of shit.

Window

These exist in Aus and NZ as well. As for work, the converse applies as well and that's the entire point. To increase worker and resource mobility.

It will be the opposite man. The UK has free dental care *_* Brits should get ready for an onslaught of people with teeth that are worse than stereotypically theirs.

Willectro

Banned
You're full of shit.

Nah, I'm a Canadian taxpayer though.

These exist in Aus and NZ as well. As for work, the converse applies as well and that's the entire point. To increase worker and resource mobility.

Aus and NZ are less concerning to me than the UK.

If this starts, all I see is a mass exodus from the UK to Canada look for work and healthcare. Again, nothing against those countries, but Canada has little to gain from this.

edit: word

Watch the whole Canada moving to Australia escaping the crappy weather and watch the whole Australia move to Canada escaping the high cost of living, overpriced shit and deadly fauna.

this cycle will repeat every 5 years or so

Watch the whole Canada moving to Australia escaping the crappy weather and watch the whole Australia move to Canada escaping the high cost of living, overpriced shit and deadly fauna.

these cycle will repeat every 5 years or so
Man why you gotta expose us like that

We can't go to Cuba anymore now that Americans are there :(

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nah, I'm a Canadian taxpayer though.

Aus and NZ are less concerning to me than the UK.

If this starts, all I see is a mass exodus from the UK to Canada look for work and healthcare. Again, nothing against those countries, but Canada has little to gain from this.

edit: word
The hell? Ever heard of the NHS?

The UK has better healthcare than we do. And a much better currency. If anything, Canada benefits most from this.

...all those countries have free health care (probably all better than Canada's as well). You have no idea what you're talking about.

Except you know; Canada, UK, Austrailia and New Zealand all have the same social structures... of which includes Socialized Healthcare. We're not special in that reguard... in fact, their social services are often better than ours.

Willectro

Banned
The hell? Ever heard of the NHS?

The UK has better healthcare than we do. And a much better currency. If anything, Canada benefits most from this.

NHS is pretty poor from what I've heard. For any serious matters, I've had amazing care in Canada.

...all those countries have free health care (probably all better than Canada's as well). You have no idea what you're talking about.

Except you know; Canada, UK, Austrailia and New Zealand all have the same social structures... of which includes Socialized Healthcare. We're not special in that reguard... in fact, their social services are often better than ours.

So don't come to Canada then? I'm still not seeing the benefit to the average citizen. This only serves to benefit those who want to move around.

Empty

as a uk citizen i'd love for it to be super easy to move to canada or new zealand. very attracted by both those countries.

I still cant work out how its possible for Oz people to come over here and do whatever the fuck they want for seemingly infinite time and yet Uk folk have a monster of a time getting a visa.

darscot

As a Canadian I would want to know about the education systems in all participating countries. If The cost is the same I would be all for this. I would just worry one country would have cheaper education and people would flock to other countries. I don't want to be swamped in student loans and have jobs taken by someone with no debt because he got his education elsewhere.

NHS is pretty poor from what I've heard. For any serious matters, I've had amazing care in Canada.

So don't come to Canada then? I'm still not seeing the benefit to the average citizen. This only serves to benefit those who want to move around.
So people won't come to Canada then. Not sure what apocalyptic scenario you're envisioning.

As a Canadian I would want to know about the education systems in all participating countries. If The cost is the same I would be all for this. I would just worry one country would have cheaper education and people would flock to other countries. I don't want to be swamped in student loans and have jobs taken by someone with no debt because he got his education elsewhere.

What? You're worried that other countries' education is too cheap? Isn't that Canada's fault?

By the way, a person with a $2,000/year tuition from Quebec or Newfoundland can easily move to $8,000/year Ontario and your scenario will play out. Unsurprisingly, you have not even noticed. It's safe to say that this isn't a problem.

RedShift

It isn't pretty poor. Seriously there might be issues with such a thing but people from the UK swarming to Canada to get healthcare they could get for free at home isn't one of them, I have no idea where you're getting this from.

Are the people you've heard about the NHS from right wing Americans or something? The kind who say Stephen Hawking would be dead if he was British?

CLEEK

Why would people from the UK move half way around the world for healthcare when it has the NHS? A free health service that has been rated the best in the world by international studies. The NHS was way ahead of the Canadian system which came second last.

The United Kingdom ranks first overall, scoring highest on quality, access and efficiency

And likewise, why travel there for jobs, when UK employment figures are at record highs and unemployment at record lows?

The employment rate now stands at 73.3%, the highest rate of people in work since the ONS began keeping records in 1971.

If employment was the main factor, people from Canada would move to Australia, which has a lower unemployment rate. If you cared about general standard of living, Australian's major cities rank higher that those in the other countries. Plus, you know, the whole weather thing.

But in general, the four countries listed are very comparable in all major areas or concern, which along with the Anglosphere connection makes them very suitable for open travel and ease of transition from one nation to the other.

CLEEK

I still cant work out how its possible for Oz people to come over here and do whatever the fuck they want for seemingly infinite time and yet Uk folk have a monster of a time getting a visa.

Because that's not true.

Anyone from the UK can get a working holiday visa for Australia. There isn't an equivalent visa to travel to the UK, you need a full work visa. Plus, the EU status of the UK meant they had to tighten the rules for migrants from non-EU countries, which made it harder for Aussies to come over and live.

Getting a visa to migrate to Aus is a hell of a lot easier then a non-EU citizen wanting to get a visa for the UK.

davis_mirror_2014_es1_for_web.jpg

(Report)

Edit: Added rankings with more recent data

Mrmartel

Banned
I would love this. As a Canadian over 30 it's getting harder to move and work in different countries.

Over 40 tho and your screwed. Only the highly regarded professionals like Doctors still have relatively free work movement at that age. I'm a Nurse so at the moment a possibility of moving to Australia is still easy/likely. As long as the demand is there.

CLEEK

You could limit things like this to citizens only. In the UK, university tuition varies per nation. In England and Wales, you have to pay ~9 grand a year, but in Scotland, tuition is free. But only free to Scots, not the rest of the UK.

Canada's health care has a nasty amount of privatization. I'd give it a few years for the US to surpass Canada since we seem to be going backwards while the US moves forward.
All the more reason why this years election is incredibly important. We could potentially solve that problem and if we push hard enough, we might be able to start down this free movement path.

Tiktaalik

Having been to all of these countries I'd be down.

(Also Canada and the USA should have free movement, but then there'd probably be no one left in Canada...)

hirokazu

So it's "proposed" in that a random Brit thinks it's a pretty good idea so he can live and work in Australia indefinitely, rather than something actually being seriously promoted. Haha.

Do an article on me tomorrow. I think it's a jolly good idea if we were allowed free movement across all the United Nations member countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom