• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free The Witcher 2 for Xbox 360 in US,CA,UK,GER,FR until Feb. 5 (Playable on X1)

ekim

http://news.xbox.com/2016/01/21/xbox-one-backward-compatibility-january/
A game we’re really excited about is CD Projekt RED’s critically acclaimed title, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Xbox One and Xbox 360 owners in select regions** can download the title for free on Xbox.com anytime between now and February 5

**Free download of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is available in the U.S., Canada, United Kingdom, France and Germany. The giveaway is from January 21 (6 a.m. PST) through February 5 (12 a.m. UTC).

Download here:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-us/P...of-Kings/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80257520824

(somehow not working in all eligible regions just yet)

Woo! Thought UK was shit out of luck since it wasn't working. Already own it physically but will snag the digital copy for sure. Don't have to worry about swapping discs then.

Roufianos

How do you download 360 games on Xbox One? I've had this console a month and I still don't know how to properly navigate it.

ekim

How do you download 360 games on Xbox One? I've had this console a month and I still don't know how to properly navigate it.

If you own the game ("bought" via xbox.com) you simply go to "my games & apps" and scroll to the "ready to install" section to the right.

kai3345

Banned

go to my games and apps and in the games section scroll to the right. you should have a list of games available to download

Ricker

Again...? Witcher 2 was free last year around April I think...oh well,good news anyway for those who didnt get it then.

Vert boil

I was thinking about playing this again so getting a free stack is a really nice bonus.

There are three versions of The Witcher 2. NA, EU and JPN.

Currently only the NA version is available for free. You could purchase the EU version yesterday but it vanished over night. If the PR is correct the EU version should pop up again at some point.

The only way to grab a free copy atm for someone outside of NA is to use a US/CA account (ye olde 360 style US/CA account), buy it via the website and then add that account on your Xbox One. You can then play the game on your main account.

No idea about the JPN version but the US version is listed as The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (7.8GB) and the EU version is listed as The Witcher 2 (8.5GB).

Stanng243

I can't believe Microsoft hasn't figured out a way to let you buy a free game without a payment source yet on the web store.

airborn

Free download of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is available in the U.S., Canada, United Kingdom, France and Germany. The giveaway is from January 21 (6 a.m. PST) through February 5 (12 a.m. UTC).
Would it really be too hard to offer an alternative in those other markets? Oh right, Microsoft.

Any way to get this if I'm not in those regions? For X1 games its easy, but 360 not so much
Create a UK account and download it on your Xbox 360 console.

Chris1

Would it really be too hard to offer an alternative in those other markets? Oh right, Microsoft.

This is likely CDPR's doing.. what does Microsoft have to do with it and why should they have to find compensation?

It sucks for people not in those regions but the blame can hardly be put on MS here.

airborn

This is likely CDPR's doing.. what does Microsoft have to do with it and why should they have to find compensation?

It sucks for people not in those regions but the blame can hardly be put on MS here.
It's up Microsoft to make sure that these kind of offers are available to as many consumers as possible around the world. They are the ones operating the service.

The Witcher 2 was part of Games with Gold and was available globally. They could've worked with CDPR or offer an alternative, so none of their consumers would feel left out.

Chris1

It's up Microsoft to make sure that these kind of offers are available to as many consumers as possible around the world. They are the ones operating the service.

The Witcher 2 was part of Games with Gold and was available globally. They could've worked with CDPR or offer an alternative, so none of their consumers would feel left out.
It's not MS operating the service (if you mean this game being free), it'll be CDPR.

Again why should MS offer an alternative? this isn't MS doing, it's CDPR. It's CDPR that's leaving consumers left out, not MS. MS can't just go change the prices of games or make them free without publisher approval, that's not how it works.

GWG is different because that's a global program, if you want your game to go on it, it's free everywhere it's available. This is just CDPR being nice and giving the game for free, not some program or anything.

Chambers35

Neo Member
Can't be the only PS owner who'd really appreciate the first 2 games on the PlayStation :( Especially remastered...

Pretty awesome for Xbox users to be getting it for free though :)

Edit: Sorry, didn't see this was a dupe thread.

Eagerly waiting for performance reports

Seems to run smoother than my memory of it running on X360, anyway, but despite it looking nice for the system, it wasn't an exceptional example of performance. Loading seems much faster and texture streaming and LOD pop seems about the same. The brief intro video that precedes the main campaign's prison prologue seems poorly encoded or corrupted, though, compared to the disc version...or, at least, I don't recall it being that bad. The King's assasination attempt video seems fine, though. Just played into the initial encampment and it seems fine.

Can't be the only PS owner who'd really appreciate the first 2 games on the PlayStation :( Especially remastered...

Pretty awesome for Xbox users to be getting it for free though :)

Edit: Sorry, didn't see this was a dupe thread.

You can probably run the first two games on your PC. They're not too demanding.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
WTF, on Console it says bundle only and then says we couldn't find anything.

On xbox.com it says not available in my region.

Tried UK and US.

Top Bottom